Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (Vxmine)      Join Date: Jan 2012       01-20-2013, 5:47 AM Reply   
Hopefully, someone can help me here. We're planning to do a houseboat vacation this summer on Lake Ouachita and I'm planning to take my boat. I was wondering if there is anything different I need to do in order to tow a long distance.

We'll be towing from Houston to Lake Ouachita, which is about 450 miles. I have a 06 Tige 24v (4350?) and we used my LR3 all of 2012 to tow the boat almost every weekend to the lake (1hr one way). It tows all of our gear and people just fine on this trip, but I know things change when you go from a 80 mile trip to 450.

I know my gas mileage is going to be ugly (probably 10mpg), but I am trying to make sure I have all my bases covered.

Thanks,

James
Old     (boardman74)      Join Date: Jul 2012       01-20-2013, 7:06 AM Reply   
I would just make sure the maintenance is up to date on your vehicle and also on your boat trailer. Especially the trailer paying special attention to things like bearings, tires, axles, brakes, brake actuator, and the lights. If it tows it fine for 80 miles should also for 450.
Old     (pc_sledge)      Join Date: Jan 2006       01-20-2013, 7:36 AM Reply   
It seems like every other long trip i take i blow a trailer tire. Make sure you bring a spare, jack, appropriate socket or wrenches, to get you going again. When i lose a tire it always seems to be in the middle of nowhere. Also check the fluid level in your trailer bearings, this will avoid a lot of heartache. I think long trailer trips for boating always are more susceptible to issues because they usually occur in the hottest summer months, and typically your boat trailer makes the same short jog to your local spot and doesn't generate the heat and abuse that hours and hours on the road will cause. Also try to avoid loading your boat with extra vacation gear. The boat trailer is usually built specifically for your boats weight with a little bit of gear, not loaded down with evreybody's suitcases. Have fun! That's a lake i've always wanted to visit.
Old     (mikebu)      Join Date: Aug 2008       01-20-2013, 11:45 AM Reply   
Frequently check your Tire Pressure and make sure it doesn't get low. I think most tire failures are caused by low tire pressure. Low tire pressure leads to the tire flexing more because it gets squashed against the road which leads to heat buildup which can lead to tire failure. I've been lucky and only had 1 tire failure ever and I have made at least 20-30 450 mile round trips to my dads house in eastern Washington. My 1 tire failure was our travel trailer and it blew coming home when we were 1 mile away from home so I didn't even stop but kept driving.
Old    LR3w8kbrdr            01-20-2013, 12:51 PM Reply   
Do you have a full size spare for the LR3? I threw what came with the lr3 out and picked up an actual matching tire/wheel of my other 4.
Old     (Vxmine)      Join Date: Jan 2012       01-20-2013, 5:23 PM Reply   
Thanks for all the pointers, guys. Good stuff.

James
Old     (boardman74)      Join Date: Jul 2012       01-21-2013, 7:47 AM Reply   
Spares are a good point. Make sure you have them both. Trailer lug nuts can be different so make sure you have the right tools. My spare tire carrier also has a different size nut.
Old    LR3w8kbrdr            01-21-2013, 8:17 AM Reply   
Also throw the factory tire wrench from the lr3 out. Ive bent 2 throughout the yrs and just pickedup a heavy duty torque wrench and 17mm socket. While you're at it, the factory jack is a toy, buy a bottle jack.
Old     (LD50)      Join Date: Jul 2011       01-21-2013, 8:35 AM Reply   
Definitely spare tires and if your trailer still has the original tires on it I'd look at putting new ones on it before even thinking about towing that far. Mine is an '06 as well with pretty low miles on the trailer. I had 2 of the 4 start to come apart this last season and a third start to get a bulge in it. None of them except the last one showed any real signs of wear until out of the blue one of them completely threw the tread off. When the tread came off of that one it wrapped around the stainless fender on my trailer and really did a number on it. I also now keep my 18v Dewalt impact wrench in my truck toolbox. The quicker you can change a tire alongside the road, the less chance you have of getting run over by some moron who isn't paying attention.
Old     (phatboypimp)      Join Date: Apr 2005       01-23-2013, 12:29 PM Reply   
I would always carry, not just for this trip, a jack you know that will work on your trailer (your LR3 jack may not work), an extra set of inner/outer bearings and seals, and a spare for car/trailer. Since you will be away from the house for some time I would make sure I have an extra belt and impeller for the boat - prop if you got the budget.
Old     (davenk)      Join Date: Feb 2008       01-24-2013, 10:39 AM Reply   
Also, remove your bimini from the tower and store under the road cover. I towed cross-country two years ago from Houston to Pennsylvania and back. Only major problem was that I lost a few screws on my bimini. Luckily, not enough to make it fall off and a quick stop at a Lowe's to get some SS bolts worked for me.
Old     (rdlangston13)      Join Date: Feb 2011       01-24-2013, 7:02 PM Reply   
you may want to consider running a little more air in the rear tires if you are towing with a half ton truck, bump it from 35 to 40 or so to help prevent flex in them as well and keep the heat down
Old    LR3w8kbrdr            01-24-2013, 7:13 PM Reply   
^^^he should normally have ~40psi in his tires...so maybe bump it up a few more
Old     (Vxmine)      Join Date: Jan 2012       01-24-2013, 7:52 PM Reply   
Yep. Running 40 now. Good point on the jack. I had a blowout on the trailer last summer and it took me about 30 mins to figure out a good spot to lift from on the trailer with the stock LR3 jack.

On a side note, I've started looking at 2009-11 F250's. Never paid much attention to them before but sat in one the other day...very nice. I love my LR3, but the F250 would make towing a much better experience.

Thanks for the input guys.

James.
Old     (jtiblier123)      Join Date: Jan 2011       01-25-2013, 3:58 AM Reply   
tighten the nuts on your trailer
Old     (NotSure123)      Join Date: Nov 2012       01-25-2013, 9:45 AM Reply   
If you don't already have them, I would install a good set of good tie-downs! On the way up to the Ozarks last summer I was going around a turn and had to swerve so hard to avoid an ***hole who started to pull out in front of me, that my trailer actually set sideways and lashed back and forth on dry pavement! I LOVE these boatbuckles, super easy to use! Enjoy Ouchita, it's a beautiful lake!!! Definitly worth the drive!
Attached Images