Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (brycejb328)      Join Date: Aug 2009       05-23-2013, 5:12 PM Reply   
Hey all, there seems to be one of these types of threads that pop up quite often. So here's mine!

I have a Tige 21V that treated me well for one season and now I find myself wanting something else. This boat was neglected when I purchased it and I have nursed it back to pretty decent condition. Not much in the way of "fun work" or cosmetic, taking care of maintenence and fixing a lot of the little things. I find myself now wanting a boat that is mint from the begenning versus doing all this work to it.

I have been eyeing a lot of different boats (used), x-stars, supra 22ssv, supra 21v, malibu vlx, malibu lsv, A22. For me it would really come down to color combo, I am big on simple and clean looking boats. I always thought the A 20 would be too small for my liking as it is smaller than what I currently have. I rarely ride with more than 3 people total at once, unless they bring their significant others along. The one time that my boat really see's much in the way of being "crowded" is when my brother and his fam come down (maybe twice a summer), so 4 adults and 2 kids.

I just had this realization with the A20 after looking at the garage spec's on their website, I could put this boat in my 24' deep garage straight (I angle my current boat and take up both stalls) with the platform on!!! This would be a MAJOR convenience!! It looks like the A22 would maybe be a few inches too long to accomplish the same thing. Not to mention a lot of the boats above would require me to raise my header on my garage (currently 7 foot tall).

Let me know your thoughts if you have been through something similar... happy? unhappy? did you go back to a bigger boat? Is the garage convenience worth it?
Old     (jeff_mn)      Join Date: Jul 2009       05-23-2013, 8:56 PM Reply   
"We can get a new boat.. Just not a pickle fork"

-- Your wife on Facebook last week

<3 some A20. All black or nothing.
Old     (jeff_mn)      Join Date: Jul 2009       05-23-2013, 8:58 PM Reply   
RZR would work for you as well if you could happen upon a clean used one.. New Tige's are mostly attention whore gelcoat (aside from TJ's)..
Old     (chattwake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       05-24-2013, 5:57 AM Reply   
I love the A20. It puts out a great wake. It's rampy, with a long transition, like most malibu wakes, but has a nice firm lip like the A22. The wake is a bit wider, but you just ride 5ft in and you're fine. The interior size of the A20 is shocking for a 20 footer. Two friends of mine own A20's, and I've spent tons of time in them. I've got two kids and my friend has a toddler as well. We can all fit on the A20 without being on top of each other.

Now, before you pull the trigger on an A20, you should considering at least bringing home an A22 and seeing if it will fit without the platform on. The platform is easy to pop off and the wedge drops straight down. With a swing away tongue trailer, you really might be able to squeeze an A22 in a 24ft garage. An A20 will fit with ease. Also, the A20 and A22 will fit under a traditional garage door with the tower down.

Let me know if you have any more questions that I can answer. Also, hop over to the Axis form and post up some questions.
Old     (mallenger)      Join Date: Jun 2006       05-24-2013, 7:33 AM Reply   
I have a 21v supra and put it in my 24' garage with the swim platform off. Clean lines with classic colors was a requirement from my better half and she hated pickle fork boats. I only have to put it in the garage 1 time a year so that is no big deal to me. I wouldn't want any smaller interior room than what I have now, even though most of the time we go out with less than 6 people. I'd probably do what Chatt is suggesting and go with the 22 if you can. You get pretty good at taking the platform on and off solo if you do it a few times.
Old     (brycejb328)      Join Date: Aug 2009       05-24-2013, 7:43 AM Reply   
I am pretty positive that the A22 would fit straight into the garage with the tongue collapsed and platform off. It would be MONEY if it would fit with the platform on. I am just thinking one less thing to do for those quick runs to the lake.

Chatt - do both of your buddy's have 2011 or 2012's? If different years, any glaring differences?

I know of a 2012 demo A20 and also a 2011 A20 that is private party with around a 130 hours on it. For the price of the 2012 demo, I would almost rather shop for a "deal" on a 2009 VTX / VLX, those seem to be capable of fitting my garage with platform on.... I understand that prior to 2009 VTX / VLX wont clear a 7 foot door, any truth to that?? Granted this 2012 demo A20 might have some extra options here and there... but is it worth nearly 10 k more and having to pay taxes. Doesnt seem there would be that much possible in options to justify it. It appears both have chilax seat, board racks and wedge. I'd for sure want to find out if they both have the plug and play ballast installed and come with a cover. The 2012 does have tower speakers though. If I went with the 2011, i'd just sell my current boat without the kicker HLCD set up.

Aside from bringin a parade of boats to my house, sometimes its tough to tell if it will fit when the specs are close...
Old     (brycejb328)      Join Date: Aug 2009       05-24-2013, 7:56 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by mallenger View Post
I have a 21v supra and put it in my 24' garage with the swim platform off. Clean lines with classic colors was a requirement from my better half and she hated pickle fork boats. I only have to put it in the garage 1 time a year so that is no big deal to me. I wouldn't want any smaller interior room than what I have now, even though most of the time we go out with less than 6 people. I'd probably do what Chatt is suggesting and go with the 22 if you can. You get pretty good at taking the platform on and off solo if you do it a few times.
I do like those supra 21v's... just cant seem to find many. Are you getting yours into a 7 foot tall garage opening?
Old     (mallenger)      Join Date: Jun 2006       05-24-2013, 8:19 AM Reply   
I'm blessed with a 10' garage and I don't have to break the tower down.
Old     (brycejb328)      Join Date: Aug 2009       05-24-2013, 8:26 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by mallenger View Post
I'm blessed with a 10' garage and I don't have to break the tower down.
Dang... that is a blessing!
Old     (mallenger)      Join Date: Jun 2006       05-24-2013, 8:30 AM Reply   
My wife designed the house but she let me do the garage.
Old     (chattwake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       05-24-2013, 9:40 AM Reply   
Bryce,

One is an '11 and one is a '12. The biggest difference is the swim platform, which helps the surf wave have a bit better shape. I'd strongly consider the '12 if you can get a really good deal on it. An older VLX or VTX would be nice as well. I'm not show how low the pre-g3 towers fold. I've got a G3 on my LSV, but I don't store it inside a garage, so I don't fold it.
Old     (imondi)      Join Date: Aug 2010       05-24-2013, 2:02 PM Reply   
I have an a22 and it fits in a 23 ft garage with the platform off. If you are gonna fold the tower down, make sure you get at least a 12 with the folding tower uprights. Otherwise, the tower can be a pain to fold!
Old     (8Coco8)      Join Date: Apr 2013       05-24-2013, 2:03 PM Reply   
I thought, going from my last 20ssv to a new boat that garage height would be a dealbreaker on a lot of new boats, but there are actually quite a few that will just squeeze in a 7ft tall opening. I ended up with a '12 22ve and it just barely squeaks in. I measured the a22 and iirc, it was tight but would go in as well. I was looking to get out of the 20ft boat and at a 23ft garage, taking the platform off is worth the added length when it comes to surfing.
Old     (brycejb328)      Join Date: Aug 2009       05-27-2013, 8:27 AM Reply   
So I was able to spend some time digging around in an A22 at our local shop to just get more of a feel for the Axis. They didnt have a A20 on the floor. Maybe that was a bad thing as I wasnt able to really compare them for size right away and now jut want to go for the A22. But I did scope out a VTX they had, not that I would buy one but just to get an idea of room on a 20 footer as I have never been on one that I can recall. I think it would still accomodate my needs. A few observations.

1. Is the storage that much less on axis compared to other boats? There just didnt seem to be as much room with the way that the seat bases are made, and no helm storage like I am used to.

2. Don't judge a color scheme by a picture.. ha ha. I did not think the Blk/Yellow was remotely attractive when looking at the pictures. Then when we got to the store, I really liked the way it looked!

3. Aerator pumps, I always viewed the ballast puppy as a more "permanent" or heavy dute type of pump, but found out the axis uses aerator pumps. Not even sure what newish boats use impeller vs. aeartor pumps.

4. The open air storage compartments. Seems that it could make the boat more noisy? But the idea of having it open is nice versus making sure all the seats are left open like I currently do so it stays aired out.

5. The bow seating is nice. My gf was "anti pickle fork" until she sat up in the bow.

6. The price - a new axis from a deaership and having to pay tax. I would take a 2 or 3 year old VLX all day long for the same price. Or find a used 2012/2013 A22. Looking at the option list and the most expensive option on the list being stereo pack 2 @ $2900. Seems a little out of line for what your getting.
Old     (brycejb328)      Join Date: Aug 2009       05-27-2013, 8:44 AM Reply   
oh.. and it seems like every single used Axis I hve seen has the 330 HP engine and I can see why with the price they are getting to be. Can you really feel that much of a difference between the std. 330hp and the 350hp? Doe the 330 hp do the job with full plug and play in a A22. What are they doing to get the extra 20 hp out of that engine....
Old     (JayManAR)      Join Date: Dec 2012       05-27-2013, 9:27 AM Reply   
^If it's propped right, the 330 is a beast and is more than enough. I have no issues planing when PnP is full (using rear 750's) with the cinco prop on my A20.
Old     (johnny_defacto)      Join Date: Sep 2006       05-27-2013, 3:50 PM Reply   
Bryce. I am an Axis A22 owner (2011).

The 335 will be fine in either boat. Full pnp and wedge, Acme 1235 will be great, it is a great all around prop. Later as you play with your weight and add to it, you will may need to upgrade to the Acme 2419, 2079 or 2315, then put your 1235 as a back up. The 335 is a terrific motor and I get amazing GPH with it even fully weighted.

#4. Yes, the Axis is slightly more noisy than the wakesetters with carpeted floor and carpteted seat bases, thats one thing I like about malibu is you can choose which floor to go with. The axis is similar in noise to most fiberglass floor boats (nautique, master craft, malibu's....) that I have been in, but the malibus with carpet seat bases, carpet floors and the floor saver carpet on top is quitter. Open bases are rad for many reasons. Looks cool, underseat LED's if you have them are nice, no stinky compartments, you can put small stuff away through the holes (flags, towels, sandals, ropes...etc, and it is so easy to clean out your boat, just snap out your carpet, hang to let dry, and your fiberglass floor is easy to clean. IMO, this design is more of a Pro than a Con in your decision.
Old     (matty_gs)      Join Date: Sep 2008       05-29-2013, 12:13 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by brycejb328 View Post
So I was able to spend some time digging around in an A22 at our local shop to just get more of a feel for the Axis. They didnt have a A20 on the floor. Maybe that was a bad thing as I wasnt able to really compare them for size right away and now jut want to go for the A22. But I did scope out a VTX they had, not that I would buy one but just to get an idea of room on a 20 footer as I have never been on one that I can recall. I think it would still accomodate my needs. A few observations.

1. Is the storage that much less on axis compared to other boats? There just didnt seem to be as much room with the way that the seat bases are made, and no helm storage like I am used to.

2. Don't judge a color scheme by a picture.. ha ha. I did not think the Blk/Yellow was remotely attractive when looking at the pictures. Then when we got to the store, I really liked the way it looked!

5. The bow seating is nice. My gf was "anti pickle fork" until she sat up in the bow.

6. The price - a new axis from a deaership and having to pay tax. I would take a 2 or 3 year old VLX all day long for the same price. Or find a used 2012/2013 A22. Looking at the option list and the most expensive option on the list being stereo pack 2 @ $2900. Seems a little out of line for what your getting.
Bryce,

After going through a similar situation, we ended up with a 2009 VLX for around 10k less than a new A22. After doing a ton of research, it ended up being the right choice for us and I COULD NOT be happier with the VLX. Couple of issues with the A22 for us were...
-Price. I couldn't justify the cost we were quoted for the A22. If we could have gotten the boat out the door for $55k, we would have gone with it, but we were looking closer to $63k with stereo installed. A couple of years ago these boats were $40k. I don't see the justification for a $20k jump in price.
-Vinyl-Tons of vinyl issues if you do research. If you are able to compare vinyl and detail between the A22 and a VLX, there is a significant difference (to me) in craftsmanship. I know that warranty covers this, but it was something that definitely factored into the decision. I know that the 2013 uses a heavier vinyl than previous years though.
-Options-The options we were able to get on a 2009 VLX far exceeded the A22. We have the Maliview, power wedge, heater, sound system, tandem axle customt railer, swivel board racks, etc.etc. that we had not quoted on the A22.

I will say that there is a ton of storage in the boat and we constantly have around 4-6 people and absolutely nothing on the floors. I don't know how this would compare for the Axis.

Again, I am not knocking the Axis line of boats at all. Their wakes are second to none and if we went with a new boat, it would be the Axis; however, I would highly suggest checking out used VLX's though if you have the time. It took me around 5 months to find the VLX we wanted, but I am definitely happy we did. If you have any questions, please let me know