Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old    boarderrr            07-31-2014, 10:51 PM Reply   
Me and my friend swapped boards. He rides finless and I ride with fins. Other than the obvious slippery feel on the water I didn't feel much of a huge difference. What do you guys prefer?
Old     (Kane)      Join Date: Mar 2010       07-31-2014, 11:14 PM Reply   
Finless, but then I ride cable for the most part.
Old     (Dissociative)      Join Date: Nov 2013       08-01-2014, 12:41 AM Reply   
Cable - finless, Boat - fins.
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       08-01-2014, 6:31 AM Reply   
fins behind boat, no fins at cable

I know someone that rides a slingshot with no fins behind the boat. man ****.
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       08-01-2014, 6:35 AM Reply   
I've been riding my Jobe Conflict behind the boat with no fins.
Old     (99Bison)      Join Date: Sep 2012       08-01-2014, 6:59 AM Reply   
No fina
Old     (liquidmx)      Join Date: Jun 2005       08-01-2014, 7:34 AM Reply   
Finless behind boat and cable. But only for one main reason:
1 - my technique sucks and riding with fins seems to magnify my crappy technique vs. forcing me to cut more progressive, etc.
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       08-01-2014, 7:41 AM Reply   
Fineless always, learn to use your edges not your fins.
Old     (parkerbomar)      Join Date: Aug 2013       08-01-2014, 11:18 AM Reply   
been riding finless all summer to progress better. also I am lazy and don't want to constantly screw and unscrew them.
Old     (hyperliquidliteforce)      Join Date: Aug 2013       08-01-2014, 2:23 PM Reply   
Finless, because the molded in fins on my board are big. I only ride boat too. It's really just preference. Although I agree it's important to learn your edges and not rely on fins.
Old     (solo)      Join Date: Oct 2001       08-06-2014, 9:47 AM Reply   
This is always a great question. I think it's mainly personal preference and I can see why people ride finless on cable. If you look at all the old greats in our sport, all of them used to rock a huge 2.0 or 2.5 fin. Byerly, Shapiro, Murray, Harf, Parks, Nelson, Schwenk, Necrasson even the Vandall. The list keeps going. I ride a larger fin in salt water than fresh water because salt water is more buoyant and it seems to help me get a better edge to the wake. A fin will help you achieve better technique. Most beginners and even intermediate riders I see riding finless are slipping out while edging toward the wake. They wonder why they can't get the right pop or land the trick they are working on. But fins aren't cool these days. So most people don't use them. In my opinion, riding finless without proper technique will slow your progression.

Just my $.02

Hahn

p/s go youtube a section from "Hit it" Looks like they have surf fins!
Old     (pipeboarder)      Join Date: Sep 2003       08-06-2014, 10:06 AM Reply   
i ride goofy and ride with no fins on the back and fins on the front. i'm not as stable riding switch (regular) so the fins help when i land switch or ride switch.

G
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       08-06-2014, 11:14 AM Reply   
Depends on the fin configuraiton on the board and the application. Cable - no. Boat - yes.

If you have one center fin but outer molded fins, then going "finless" isn't as big of a deal as compared to a board with 2 outer fins and no bottom features on the board. That will ride a lot looser. Personal preference.