Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through October 15, 2006

Old     (ronnyboy27)      Join Date: Nov 2005       08-28-2006, 1:42 PM Reply   
I was reading several threads and got to wondering about safety equipment. What all is required if you get stopped? Here are the items that I have; a throwable lifesaver. a fire extiquisher. enough life vests for each person (not counting comp vests). a flare gun. an air horn.

Anything else?
Old     (fifitrixabelle)      Join Date: May 2004       08-28-2006, 1:44 PM Reply   
depends on what state you are in?
Old     (97response)      Join Date: Oct 2004       08-28-2006, 1:49 PM Reply   
Anchor, boater's license (depending on State - Ohio is if born after 01/01/1982 a license is required), distress flag? These are required in OH, and I've been checked for all of them.
Old     (greenpinky)      Join Date: Apr 2004       08-28-2006, 2:51 PM Reply   
Depends what country too. Totally different here.
Old     (bennygoodx)      Join Date: Aug 2006       08-28-2006, 3:12 PM Reply   
You have to have a paddle in AZ. Also have to have enough PFDs for everyone on the boat. I'm sure it would be really easy to paddle a 24ft boat to shore with one paddle... LOL.
Old    bocephus            08-28-2006, 3:26 PM Reply   
Ben,
Could you please show me where it says you need a paddle.

There is no mention of a paddle anywhere in Title 5, Chapter 3, Articles 1-11 which covers Arizona boaters law. I believe it would be in Article 4 Required Equipment.

I see everyone carrying a paddle but I think it is BS since it is not in the laws or handbook anywhere.

http://www.azleg.state.az.us/ArizonaRevisedStatutes.asp?Title=5

http://boat-ed.com/az/handbook/
Old     (bfa)      Join Date: Dec 2005       08-28-2006, 3:33 PM Reply   
Also need a bailing device. I think the boat bilge counts though. We also need to have our boat registration with us here in BC
Old     (fifitrixabelle)      Join Date: May 2004       08-28-2006, 5:00 PM Reply   
I think also 'bailing device' can be like tupperware, milk jug sort of item which we always have something in there that could pass.
Old     (rodmcinnis)      Join Date: Sep 2002       08-29-2006, 10:07 AM Reply   
Ron:

If you are on inland waters a flare gun is not necessary. If you go out into the ocean, the Great Lakes or any of the large bays then a flare gun would be a good idea. On a lake or river I would consider them to be more of a hazard than a help (think kids, or your drunken friends).

The legal requirements vary from state to state, but most common is:

Fire Extinguisher: The laws usualy specify that it should be mounted someplace (verses kicking around in a locker) but I have never been hassled about that.

Life Jackets: At least one, of appropriate size (adult jackets won't work for a child) for every passenger. There is often some obscure wording that the law enforcement can interpret as the life jackets have to be immediatly available, not buried back behind the sub woofer. They also need to be in good shape, no tears in the fabric, etc. If they have been rotting in the bilge for a few years you should replace them. The cheap orange ones are actually the best.

Throwable device: This is a "type IV" device, the ring or the "cushion". Again, wording of the law can be interpreted that it has to be "immediatly available", not buried. My suggestion: have two. One still in the plastic wrapper put away out of harms reach. The second one sits out. Use it for a fender, an ice chest cushion, fooling around in the water, etc. If yo use it a lot it will be handy. If the officer complains that it has been used as a fender too much pull out the pristine one.

Sound Signaling device: it can be the electric horn, one of those air in a can horns, or even a whistle. I got hassled once because my whistle was on the key ring and I had to shut the engine off in order to blow the whistle.....

At night you need lights. Don't need them during the day. Requirements vary with boat size, but for our discussion it is basically the red/green bow lights and an all around white light.

Paddle: probably varies from state to state and will also depend on boat size. For California, boats under 16 feet are supposed to carry a paddle. I have a nice paddle that has a collaspable handle. Stores really easy, and has actually come in handy a couple of times.

If you are pulling a skier you may need the "skier down" flag. This varies state to state.

In addition to the legal requirements there are a bunch more recommendations.

The Coast Guard Auxiliary (which is a civilian group, NOT a law enforcement group) has a "Courtesy Marine Examination" program where they check the boat for their list of items and will apply a CME decal if the boat passes (no ramifications if you fail). Here is a website that details their requirements:
http://swansongrp.com/cme.html

For our discussion, the basic additions are a "detwatering device" (bilge pump) and an anchor, both of which I highly recommend.

The bilge pump should be obvious. The bigger the better. Make it two!

An anchor can really save your ass. Or at least save your hull. If your engine fails you will be at the mercy of the wind. The wind will eventually blow you against a shore. If it is sand and the wind is light you might be okay. If it rock or the wind is strong your boat can be pounded to death. Being able to throw and anchor and wait for rescue can save the boat.
Old     (boarditup)      Join Date: Jan 2004       08-30-2006, 8:54 AM Reply   
Rod is dead on!

Also:
Small first aid kit including some compresion bandages and some ace wraps. Bad injuries will need to be held together - prop strikes.

Tool kit including new impeller, hose clamps, hose tape, screw drivers, wrenches, hammer, prop, and prop puller.

Utility knife, side cutter, and mask for rope on the prop.

A couple bottles of water stashed where they won't be drunk normally. Wash out wound, rowing to shore, etc.

Jumper cables. About 3-4 times a summer I have to get boats started because the battery was old and the stereo was loud.

Wet suit, if water is cold for the rope around the prop gig.
Old    ilovetrains            08-30-2006, 9:04 AM Reply   
It does vary from state to state. I went through a Coast Gaurd Auxillary volunteer inspection years ago. In the information they provided they noted that there is no state with more stringent requirements than their inspection, so if you pass, then you are good anywhere.

My boat failed because my battery was not in a box, just clamped down.
Old     (bob)      Join Date: Feb 2001       08-31-2006, 1:45 AM Reply   
Anchor is required in florida, at least on inland waterways and the gulf. Visual distress can be a set of day/night flares (what I have).
Old     (badbob13ftw)      Join Date: Dec 2005       09-01-2006, 7:34 PM Reply   
I got pulled over on Lake mojave on the Nevada side 2 weeks ago...for a "saftey / sobriety" check... the rangers requests were for ...

1. life jackets for # of persons on board (no prob)

2. throwable pfd (np)

3. approved fire ext (np)

4. current reg card (oops) in truck w/ warranty info ( 100 yds away )...125$ fine

5. How many beers consumed/how many drinker and who (oops)clear trash bag w/ empties... did the hokey-pokey (np)
Old     (yosquire)      Join Date: Jun 2005       09-01-2006, 10:38 PM Reply   
Life jackets have to be in good condition, if the edges are frayed that's as good as not having them.

Also, jackets must fit the occupants.
Old     (bob)      Join Date: Feb 2001       09-07-2006, 2:25 AM Reply   
bad bob where are they going with the beer thing? You could have 50 empties as long as the driver is not over .08 they cant do a thing. Are they checking ID's for those not driving, you dont need to carry ID with you on the water as far as I know, except for the driver. What are the cops going to do take you to jail for not having ID, showing your age?