Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (BigSherm)      Join Date: Jun 2018       08-16-2018, 5:43 AM Reply   
Was scrolling through Evo the other day and saw that the snowboarding brand Never Summer has decided to dip their toes into the water sports world with a couple new wakeboards. The graphics on the boards look sweet and I’m sure they’re good products but the sticker price of $550 dollars on an unproven product is enough reason to pause. I was wondering if anyone has had the chance to ride/owns one of these boards and what your thoughts on it is.
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       08-16-2018, 5:47 AM Reply   
I hate never summer and always will. Pass.
Old     (BigSherm)      Join Date: Jun 2018       08-16-2018, 5:51 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by simplej View Post
I hate never summer and always will. Pass.
I’m not a snowboarder so I’m not familiar with their other products. Any particular reason you hate them?
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       08-16-2018, 8:03 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSherm View Post
I’m not a snowboarder so I’m not familiar with their other products. Any particular reason you hate them?
They're kind of a joke in the snowboard community. They have a following in colorado but you'd be hard pressed to see them elsewhere.

They bite all of lib's technology, they're way over priced for what they are, and they market to the lifted truck crowd.

It's pretty rare you see a never summer strapped onto anyone who is a "core" rider.

If you want good USA made product get a humanoid. They are rider owned by the same folks that helped bring us learn wake. They are good for the industry and have been doing this a loooong time
Old     (BigSherm)      Join Date: Jun 2018       08-16-2018, 9:16 AM Reply   
Funny enough I actually ride a humanoid! I got it this season and it’s my first board from them. I love the thing to death and their customer service was top notch. I ride cable almost exclusively and that thing has taken a beating and continues to rip like a new board. I’ll definitely be continuing to buy from them.

The question about never summer was curiosity more than anything lmao I can definitely see the “overpriced” aspect of them though since they wanna charge over $500 for a board.
Old     (svnfightsvn)      Join Date: Mar 2011       08-16-2018, 5:51 PM Reply   
I have a different opinion. Neversummer makes some legit snowboards and I see them all over the outside of Colorado. I’m a mervin fanboy myself and own multiple gnu, lib tech and roxy boards (my wife), but I’ve ridden at least 2 neversummer snowboards and had absolutely no complaints. They are USA and rider made and have some unique tech in their boards that no one else is doing. Although I understand your point about biting mervins tech, they actually won that lawsuit:
http://www.espn.com/action/snowboard...ory?id=5939973
The outcome of their foray in the wake business obviously remains to be seen but their wake stuff looks like it has some high end features that you would expect in a board of that price (7 stage rocker). I do think they seem a bit overpriced for having been untested in the marketplace but I don’t think their stuff would be considered junk by any means.
Old     (svnfightsvn)      Join Date: Mar 2011       08-16-2018, 6:48 PM Reply   
It may not mean much to some people but mervin is actually owned by quiksilver so buying a board from them is like supporting a major corporation over a local business. So in this regard, supporting neversummer is actually just like supporting other “local” wake brands like slingshot or humanoid which is supporting growth in the industry (although slingshot makes most of their stuff overseas nowadays)
Old     (BigSherm)      Join Date: Jun 2018       08-16-2018, 7:22 PM Reply   
Hmm all very interesting stuff. Again, I’m not a snowboarde, but it’s crazy how much you learn when you ask a couple questions. Chances are I will be skipping out on the never summer boards unless they flop and go on clearance or something.

It is cool to me that they’re willing to take a risk like that though. Not like you see Hyperlite or O’Brien trying to move into the snowboarding market.
Old     (electricsnow)      Join Date: May 2002       08-17-2018, 3:41 AM Reply   
Actually, hyperlite did make snowboards for a short period of time starting in 97 or so. That didn't last long.

I personally think it's cool never summer is trying to make wakeboards. Years ago I used to work at my local shop and never summer did not have the reputation as described above. (shoulder shrug)
Old     (brinks)      Join Date: Mar 2002       08-17-2018, 6:04 PM Reply   
Hyperlite Snowboards. I used to have a couple when I rode for Hyperlite back in the day. I personally loved Never Summer snowboards. They were super durable. I think everyone's problem with them is they were on the heavy side. We will see how Jimmy LaRiche does riding for Never Summer wake this year.
Attached Images

Old     (dvsone79)      Join Date: Dec 2012       08-17-2018, 7:18 PM Reply   
NS makes legit snowboards. Not sure how anyone would think they steal tech from Mervin. That sounds like regurgitated hearsay. Mervin makes good snowboards (they own Lib Tech, Gnu, Roxy, and Quiksilver). They have a lot more clout when it comes to sponsorships. I mean, they have T. Rice riding for Lib, who else do you need? But NS boards are every bit as good. They’ve taken a more backcountry/all-mtn approach to their boards over the years. But they make park boards too. And yes, they appeal heavily to their local consumers in Colorado. You can’t go wrong with a NS snowboard. But I don’t know anything about their wakeboards. They have always been snowboards made by snowboarders. Not sure how well that’s going to translate to wake. I hope they transition from snow to wake better than I did! I was a decent snowboarder but I’m a terrible wakeboarder! LOL!
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       08-18-2018, 6:27 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by svnfightsvn View Post
I have a different opinion. Neversummer makes some legit snowboards and I see them all over the outside of Colorado. I’m a mervin fanboy myself and own multiple gnu, lib tech and roxy boards (my wife), but I’ve ridden at least 2 neversummer snowboards and had absolutely no complaints. They are USA and rider made and have some unique tech in their boards that no one else is doing. Although I understand your point about biting mervins tech, they actually won that lawsuit:
http://www.espn.com/action/snowboard...ory?id=5939973
Lib is no longer owned by Quik, they got an infusion of cash from a private capital firm and brought it back private.
Old     (Shreddr)      Join Date: Sep 2017       08-21-2018, 6:36 AM Reply   
I tried the park board and it was ok. Nothing special imo.
The only thing i would be afraid of is the flex. I used to have a few NS snowboards which all became noodles loosing their flex after a few weeks.
i dont know if the wakeboards have the same issue though...

Last edited by Shreddr; 08-21-2018 at 6:39 AM. Reason: typo
Old     (buffalow)      Join Date: Apr 2002       08-21-2018, 6:50 AM Reply   
I have had a NS board for 3 summers I believe and many of the guys that ride with me swear by it. It is hiding up very well, seems to have a nice flex and pop in it. Its a bit small for my big ass, but the normal size guys enjoy it alot!
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       08-21-2018, 9:18 AM Reply   
I rode a Never Summer SL for a couple seasons and loved it. Two of my friends were pro snowboarders (retired now) out of South Lake Tahoe and they introduced me to the board about 7-8 years ago.

I would be down to try a NS board. Jimmy LaRiche and Derek Cook are both on one now.
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       08-31-2018, 11:34 AM Reply   
I rode with someone the other day that was on one. The bottom of the board has a really grainy texture to it. He said that it seemed to make it drag on the water.

Also, the rooster has a REALLY aggressive rocker. To me, it looked similar to a Ronix one, flat in the center then aggressive rocker at the tip and tail.

Last edited by boardjnky4; 08-31-2018 at 11:37 AM.
Old     (getssum)      Join Date: Jul 2005       09-10-2018, 11:36 AM Reply   
I demo'd a NS Maverix and a Swift during a fairly nice powder day at Sierra at Tahoe a couple of years back and had a really great time on them. Funny that someone mentioned "biting" on Mervin mfg tech, as when I mentioned the Magnetraction edges that I liked in ice the rep kinda scoffed, and said we don't build slow boards!