Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (robandrus)      Join Date: Feb 2002       07-06-2013, 12:05 AM Reply   
Sold my Tige on Saturday and obsessed about my old x-star wake for a 3 days, not to mention the gas mileage of a smaller boat, so on Wednesday July 2nd at 11:15 at night I found a 2000 Xstar in Lake Elsinore for a great price. Called in the morning and it was still for sale. It just so happened that my father in law was driving up to my house in Utah, from Temecula around 3:00 that afternoon. Well, I'm pretty confident in my abilities to fix stuff, so after spending the day running around to banks, asking questions, begging favors and offering bribes I got the deal done in time to get it to Utah for the 4th of July. Got the boat today. Let the project begin.

2000 X-star
Belly bag, (neither pump working) No rear ballast
Slight V-Drive seal leak (not sure which one it is) -Anyone have experience with this?
330hp Northstar engine
Needs some seats reupholstered
No perfectpass
Not sure I dig the oldschool tower - To replace or not replace?
Large round decals are pretty beat and starting to peal -What should I do to replace them?
Decently looking speakers and amp, cheap head unit with no remote.
Anyway, she starts right up, after 1/2 of cleaning today I'm still trying to get the old oil residue out of the bilge (belly bag was coated and disgusting, not to mention all the beer cans and water bottles left in there.)

Gotta work quick, summer moves fast in Utah.
Attached Images

Old     (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       07-06-2013, 12:46 AM Reply   
Looks like you've got your work cut out for you. The pics of the bilge and rear storage almost make it look like it was sunken at one time or maybe there were pigs that lived in it. I'm sure you'll have it looking good in no time. Be sure to post progress pics.
Old     (williamburell)      Join Date: Sep 2011       07-06-2013, 4:52 AM Reply   
if you aren't on teamtalk get on it. I went through a very similar journey with an X-9 except there were been cans crammed everywhere and might have been alil bit filthier. Good luck. Also looks like you might want to pay Jim at viper customs a call.
Old     (phillywakeboarder)      Join Date: Sep 2008       07-06-2013, 5:52 AM Reply   
Congrats on the boat! That looks like the chevy LTR motor, not the northstar. The LTR is an awesome power plant. Obviously, the transmission is the biggest concern. I really don't have any advice for you there. Mine (99 star) blew a seal when I hit an underwater log and my dealer fixed it under an insurance claim. Took about a week. With respect to the tower, I'd say keep it but ditch the stock bimini and get one from big air pylons. http://www.bigairpylons.com It's the best 500 bucks I ever spent. Plenty of shade and you can walk under it. Also, depending on your ballast requirements, a plumbed in system is really, really nice, and really isn't that difficult to install. Good luck!
Old     (downfortheride)      Join Date: Jun 2005 Location: SLC, UT 5600'       07-06-2013, 9:21 AM Reply   
Good find Rob! I would steer clear of changing the tower... I know your used to more up to date looking ones but this tower is what made the X Star what it is today. That belly pic is disgusting and almost looks like the boat sunk!
Old     (KyleSteinmeyer7)      Join Date: Jun 2013       07-06-2013, 9:33 AM Reply   
How much did you get this thing for? I'd be interested in doing a project like this.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       07-06-2013, 11:24 AM Reply   
Rob, I look forward to seeing the progress. Your boat project threads are some of my favorites.

Am I right in assuming you will be disassembling all of the interior? I personally would leave the tower unless there is something wrong with that one and/or you are going to put on a nice tower like a samson/new dimension tower. I wouldn't put a newer universal type tower as it would probably reduce the value of the boat rather than increase value. Besides samson and new dimension the only other tower I would consider is a newer(2005-2010ish) mastercraft tower or maybe a Star One(old titan).
Old     (robandrus)      Join Date: Feb 2002       07-06-2013, 6:47 PM Reply   
Hey Brett, thanks for the compliment. In all honesty, posting about the project makes it way more fun than just doing the project. Had some family stuff today so I couldn't spend too much time on it, just a lot of cleaning, some big buckets of soapy water and a power washer. I don't plan to do all the interior, mostly just the cushions.
Ballast: I don't think I'm going to plumb in the belly bag. I'll just fill it with sand bags. Ordering parts for the system from wakemakers.com. Having already done a system earlier this year makes ordering easier.
Stereo: Has a Clarion remote by the driver, anyone have experience with clarion head units? Its a shame you can't just have bluetooth direct to the amp and just control it from my iphone.
Tower: I know that its classic, and it actually fits in my garage so it will probably stay. I've done a new dimension tower before, easy to install because its built for the boat and looks great, but in all honesty, if I had the coin I'd probably throw a black Monster MTK on it and tint the windows.
Decal: Found this on ebay http://www.ebay.com/itm/350309849415...witem=&vxp=mtr

If he has two it would work well. I like the look of the decals on there now, but my number one preference would be to just pull them off completely, but the gel coat has the big blue circle.
Attached Images

Old     (xstarrider)      Join Date: Jun 2007       07-06-2013, 10:39 PM Reply   
Owning a 2000 Xstar Myself that has 1100 (850 belong to me). I will give ya some insight.

I still own the original Tower it's been bomb proof. The hardest thing to find was a Bimini. I went with towerbimini.com. The thing is rock solid and takes 30sec max to install with no straps in the way. It's the only one made to fit that tower. If u did want to kill the old one New Dimensions is the oy way to go. I saw a new MC tower on my exact boat. Just didn't look right at all.

The decal is an issue. Once u pull the old one off you are left with a giant colored circle of dark gel. Only option is a custom shop. The decal is no longer available.

The engine is a beast.

The trans had a known recall for the original seal being garbage and allowing water in the tranny. Its a ZF Hurth 1.1-1 tranny . In this boat it is loud. It sounds like a sledge hammer hitting your tranny when shifting from neutral. If you dont pop it all the way into drive it will tattle a bit as well. Very very common it just "clunks " a lot. The damper plates were the issue. The area around the springs would fracture . Use the same engine oil in the tranny for a much smoother quieter shift. There was also a recall on the alternator bracket so if you start shredding belts you'll know u need to have the right one installed. As mentioned it is a Chevy LTR engine. It just uses the northstar ignition. It's essentially a marinized vette motor.

I WOULD NOT put sand in that ski locker. That thing will have water in it 24/7. It's where all the rain water drains, any wet people drain, and with the blower vents located in the rear when heavily weighted if the driver isn't spot on water will go straight down the vents into the bilge area. I have tried everything under the sun. Water will get in there as well as the battery box. I just drilled a hole in the battery box and it drains right into that bilge area . Make sure you have a bilge pump near the plug. It works much better than the original location all the way towards the transom. As far as the center sac some guys have just filled a fly high tube sac and left it in there. That us the most economical, but ideally the only way to get a factory sac now is a custom order from fly high. MC will rape you on an x1 sac.

Oh and pull that sundeck actuator out. It sucks. Just put 2 60lb gas shocks on there along with a latch. Then you won't have that huge annoying arm pressing against your ballast bag. 750's fit perfectly back there.

Last edited by xstarrider; 07-06-2013 at 10:42 PM.
Old     (xstarrider)      Join Date: Jun 2007       07-06-2013, 10:45 PM Reply   
Shameless plug as well. I have a great head unit that works for that remote in the classifieds. It has an aux input and works flawlessly with the factory remote. It's a clarion m475 with all the original hardware, handheld remote, and manual.

It's the only head unit with an aux plug made by clarion that will work with that particular factory remote without buying a newt head unit with a special adapter.

Last edited by xstarrider; 07-06-2013 at 10:47 PM.
Old     (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       07-06-2013, 11:12 PM Reply   
Hey, likin those progress pics. Bilge looks brand new now. So does the back end. Good job.
Old     (FastR3DN3K)      Join Date: Jun 2013 Location: Midlothian TX       07-07-2013, 9:47 AM Reply   
1. Awesome boat, hope you got a smoking good price on it for the condition
2. I don't understand how people let their boats get trashed like that. I refuse to let anyone on my boat that can't clean up their crap when they get out, no matter how awesome they are with everything else or even if they're a really good friend.
3. The boat looks so much better cleaned up. It's amazing what a little elbow grease can do these days...
4. Leave the tower. To me it looks "right" on that boat, and that will be an extra $1000+ still in your pocket to do other things and make it even more badass.
5. I'd wrap it, but that's just me. I've never been a fan of the X-star graphics anyway, and if they're beat to hell there's not really any point in dropping a bunch of money on the original factory vinyls. The eBay one looks a little better, but if he's only got one then you're still SOL. Take that extra $1000+ you're saving by not replacing the tower and put it into a wrap.
6. I agree with Swatguy, ditch that actuator. It eats up a lot of real estate in that trunk, and on a boat that size every bit matters. I'd throw gas pistons on it first thing and use the actuator switch for something else like sacs in the trunk. Nothing like already having the switch and wires already run for you back there.
7. This may be stupid, but the little details are what set it off to me. I'd do something with those gauges. Not saying you have to completely replace them, but I'd at least swap the rings for some chrome/stainless or maybe paint/plastidip them. That would really set them off and give it a little more fresh/modern feel.

Last edited by FastR3DN3K; 07-07-2013 at 9:50 AM.
Old     (robandrus)      Join Date: Feb 2002       07-07-2013, 11:52 AM Reply   
Ballast system ordered

Hey Swatguy, what kind of latch did you use for the rear hatch?
Attached Images

Old     (robandrus)      Join Date: Feb 2002       07-07-2013, 12:01 PM Reply   
Ryan, I think you're right on the gauges, haven't really used plasti-dip in the past. Could look great.
As for the gas lifters, I think its a good idea. Any idea how much throw I need (size)? Also what kind of latch system, the last thing I want is for the back to get blown off on the freeway. Would 60lb lifters be enough?
Old     (brichter14)      Join Date: Jul 2010       07-07-2013, 12:14 PM Reply   
This is off topic but that xstar/205v is rated for 12 people!? I'm looking to buy an early SAN and they are rated for only 9. What gives?

Last edited by brichter14; 07-07-2013 at 12:15 PM. Reason: Stupid autocorrect
Old    sperbet            07-07-2013, 12:20 PM Reply   
Just my .02. That ebay X-Star decal is beyond god awful. If you give the gel a good buffing and wet sand you shouldn't be able to see where the old decal was at. Just takes some more elbow grease.

Good luck with the project. The 205Vs are awesome.
Old    sperbet            07-07-2013, 12:21 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by brichter14 View Post
This is off topic but that xstar/205v is rated for 12 people!? I'm looking to buy an early SAN and they are rated for only 9. What gives?
I wouldn't put much in the ratings. I ride in both regularly. They are similar in size, but I'd say the 205V is slightly more cramped inside then a 210. 9 is ridiculous in either. I prefer to be in one with less than 5.
Old     (jpaul)      Join Date: Mar 2008       07-07-2013, 12:37 PM Reply   
I think you should Plasti Dip the tower a matching blue. And if you don't like it it will just peel off.
Also look into polishing the gel, www.performanceboatcandy.com/ will lead you to the right direction. Made my 7yr old black gel look new.
Old     (robandrus)      Join Date: Feb 2002       07-07-2013, 2:45 PM Reply   
Just ordered the V-drive seal kit. The boat has a ZF Hurth HSW 630V with a 1:1.56 gear reduction. Hopefully this kit has all the seals I'll need. I've pulled an x-star transmission myself before so hopefully it will be quicker this time.

http://www.halemarine.com/index.php?...0d3c500f387351

Scott, I hear you, I would just peal the decal but the blue under it is in the gelcoat so you'll always be able to tell where the old decal was. I don't mind the decal that is on there, but when you get close they're pretty beat up.

As for the Star vs the 210. I've had both, and recently looked again at the 210. Not sure if they changed it but for the same year the 210 felt miniature to me. (I'm 6'5")
Old     (robandrus)      Join Date: Feb 2002       07-07-2013, 3:00 PM Reply   
Swatguy, sent you a pm about the stereo. Thank bro.
Old     (xstarrider)      Join Date: Jun 2007       07-07-2013, 3:58 PM Reply   
Here's the link to the step by step sundeck. Rather than use screws I i temoved a small protipn of vinyl to get my hand through and used steel plates to reinforce the sundeck where the L bracket with the ball attaches to sundeck The sundeck is a hollow piece of aluminum so its real easy for screws to strip it or pop free. The actuator was actually thru bolted as well. With the thru bolts and nylock nuts I haven't had one break free. If you create a Teamtalk account u can view all the pics.

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...ndeck+actuator
Old     (robandrus)      Join Date: Feb 2002       07-08-2013, 9:23 PM Reply   
Lake tested it today! I have to admit I was nervous.
Before I went out I checked the oil in the v-drive. It was bone dry, headed to walmart to get some trans fluid and went with 15w-40. Also got a new oil filter and oil for the engine. While I was at it I bought a bottle of transmission rehab/ stop leak fluid. Also put a bottle of seafoam in the engine to clean it prior to putting the new oil in.

Got to the lake and put her in the water and she started right up and purred like a kitten, well maybe a tiger. Once the engine pushed the fluid through the trans all went well. I checked several times for leaks but didn't see any. My hope is that the fluid will do the job and I won't need to pull the transmission to replace the seals...doubtful but for $5 you gotta try.
What I did see was that the water pump (impeller pump) is leaking really badly from the rear seal. I've never had this problem before, is there an o-ring or rebuild kit I can get? It did seem to be pushing water through the engine, though the exhaust risers were pretty dang hot to the touch.

So all in all it was a great time. Everything works, except the speedometers, but it does have a couple of broken pickups (already ordered) I got to ride behind it, surprisingly the wake was respectable for having absolutely no ballast and driving in 5' of water.
Old     (robandrus)      Join Date: Feb 2002       07-08-2013, 9:44 PM Reply   
Nice night to be on the water. Here's a couple pics, including one of the water pump that is leaking.
Attached Images

Old     (robandrus)      Join Date: Feb 2002       07-09-2013, 8:23 AM Reply   
Pump rebuild kit for the Johnson F6B-9 $50
http://www.ebasicpower.com/p/MAL9-45700/MAL9-45700.html

http://www.ebay.com/itm/161044633643...84.m1438.l2649
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       07-09-2013, 10:04 AM Reply   
Sweet find and rebuild.

I'm with Scott, size difference between the old SAN(Super Sport) & XStar(205V) are negligible....& both full with 5/6 adults.
Old     (robandrus)      Join Date: Feb 2002       07-30-2013, 9:54 AM Reply   
Just to give an update. Finished up the project, Loved it for a short time and flipped it for a decent profit.

Projects included:
Repainting the trailer
Overall Cleaning
Three bag ballast system
Reupholstered the seats
Fixed stereo
Speedo Pickups
Skull Shifter knob!

A couple impressions of the boat.
The LTR Motor whistles a little, but wow, tons of power. Loved it, always started right up with no issues.

Zero Flex Flyer Tower: Still don't think its the best looking out there, but the kids loved it! Their new favorite activity was climbing it and jumping off the top.

X-Star hull, This was my second X-Star, I have to say, I love this wake! So clean, so easy to dial in with a little weight. Took it out surfing and had one of my best sessions ever on shallow Utah Lake with only a 540lb bag in the port locker.

Gas Mileage: Because of size of the boat you still get amazing gas mileage, much better than the Tige 22V I had before this. Here's some pics. Thanks for following.
Attached Images

Old     (robandrus)      Join Date: Feb 2002       07-30-2013, 10:04 AM Reply   
The boat driving off to its new home.

Now, is there enough time left in summer to do another?
Attached Images

Old     (dirwoody)      Join Date: Apr 2003       07-30-2013, 10:14 AM Reply   
I really want to do some projects like this! Gotta get the wife to sign off first though. Would you mind sharing the purchase and sale price of it in a PM? Looking for ammo to use on the wife........
Old     (boardman74)      Join Date: Jul 2012       07-30-2013, 10:28 AM Reply   
There is an art to flipping boats, houses or anything else. Your sure aren't going to kill it the first time. It will probably take you a few to show any profit. I have been flipping recreational toys for about 10 years now and I still get burned here and there. I can almost gaurantee you gonna get beat up the first few times. Boats are tricky as cost of items varies greatly. Its not like going and looking for a good deal on a boat for yourself. If you can't do 90% of the work yourself its really tough to make it pay. You also really need to buy the few that are selling for dirt cheap. Divorces, loss of jobs, etc. A just average good deal on something rarely nets much profit on something. Guys bring up post almost weekly on here about I found this great deal on a rough boat. 95% of them don't buy when they start putting the numbers together because there is no money there. Upholstery is the most common trashed thing as its expensive to do. I would say if you are an upholstery guy or have a friend who gives you great deals then you might do well. I personally walk from upholstery jobs unless they are giving it away.

I have seen Robs posts on here and he is buying all over the country and the ones that are smoking deals. Thats what you have to do. Then there are transportation costs, etc. Takes up front cash. Makes no sense to finance items you are flipping.
Old     (robandrus)      Join Date: Feb 2002       07-30-2013, 3:34 PM Reply   
I finance every boat I do, usually they're enough below book to justify the cost, transport, upholstery and repair financed in. I had this boat a total of 20 days so I never had to make a payment. Over the years I've built a great relationship with my bank and love them for how well they treat me. I have a GREAT upholstery guy that charges so little for amazing work that I wonder how he eats! That being said, in 2003 I sent $2,500 Through Western Union to a seller on ebay for an almost new Tige that was selling for $15,000 on ebay, seller said he was on vacation in Hawaii and needed a deposit. I was stoked on the deal so I sent the cash. 15 minutes later I was on Wakeworld to brag about my amazing buy when I saw a post about the boat I had just put money down on. Apparently it was obviously a scam to everybody else, I called Western Union to put a hold on the funds and they told me I was SOL. Expensive lesson but one I only had to learn once. Always speak to the guy on the phone. Expect the worst (bad upholstery, bad engine etc) and figure it in to your break even number. Learn how to fix everything and anything yourself... The cost of labor is what kills you. If you figure that as long as the boat is real, even with a bad engine you can still break even, you should do just fine.
Old     (dirwoody)      Join Date: Apr 2003       07-31-2013, 12:22 PM Reply   
Good info - Thank you!
Old     (VinceH)      Join Date: Jul 2013       07-31-2013, 7:41 PM Reply   
Do you mind talking about how you painted the trailer? Mine needs painting and I am dreading doing it myself, but can't see paying anyone to do it either.

Thanks!
Old     (robandrus)      Join Date: Feb 2002       08-01-2013, 7:05 AM Reply   
Painting the trailer:

Clean it, I have an angle grinder that can cut down any surface rust ($20 at harbor freight) or you can sand it. Then a couple cans of gloss enamel Rustoleum. It's cheap and looks great. Matches extremely well for white or black.