Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (Cisco)      Join Date: Apr 2010       04-15-2012, 10:07 PM Reply   
My bro brah was at Wake Nation Ohio opener and he overherd some of the operators talking about opening a park in Canada next year.

Any idea where?

Niagara Falls is a sick spot!
Old     (glwake)      Join Date: Jan 2012       04-16-2012, 9:12 AM Reply   
You should check out Niagara Boarder Pass.

(the black line represents their new System 2.0)

Opening soon!
Old     (Luker)      Join Date: Feb 2010       04-16-2012, 12:44 PM Reply   
bro brah... yesssss. nice reference
Attached Images

Old     (captain_vilfo)      Join Date: Apr 2007       04-16-2012, 1:28 PM Reply   
mmmmm cable park 4 hours away.. I can dig it
Old     (Wiatowski)      Join Date: Aug 2011       04-18-2012, 7:22 AM Reply   
it there an actual cable going in or just the 2.0
Old     (canadian_waterboy)      Join Date: Apr 2008       04-18-2012, 12:19 PM Reply   
to my understanding its just a 2.0
Old     (captain_vilfo)      Join Date: Apr 2007       04-18-2012, 12:57 PM Reply   
^^ dammit
Old     (greg_smith)      Join Date: Sep 2006       04-18-2012, 5:19 PM Reply   
That would be amazing!! Any rough ideas as to when? Is it next year, or this year?
Old     (Wiatowski)      Join Date: Aug 2011       04-18-2012, 5:46 PM Reply   
I'd like to try cable... but I though only one person could ride a 2.0 ...am I wrong in thinking this?
Old     (wake_it_up)      Join Date: Nov 2008       04-18-2012, 6:57 PM Reply   
Yeah i'm really happy to see all the movements for more parks in Ontatrio. I visited The Ranch last summer, but a little variety can't hurt! Is this two potential cable parks within an hour of Toronto now? Bayou cable in Orangeville, and now the Niagara Boarder Pass?
Old     (canadian_waterboy)      Join Date: Apr 2008       04-18-2012, 9:30 PM Reply   
I dunno... i personally believe that cable parks in Ontario haven't really been that remarkable.... To me, the greatest advantage of cable riding is the increased accessibility (Financially speaking). Unlike boat, cable riding cable riding shouldn't be prohibitively expensive. Unfortunately the cable rates in Ontario are really quite high. At the Ranch wake park an 8 minute set on the system two is $20!!! That's an hourly rate of $150. I mean i could stay home and ride boat all afternoon for that cost. That being said, I completely understand why the rates are that high. The capital investment is just as costly as those parks in the south.. if not higher consdering the price of real estate in the GTA, but the operating season is only half (maybe even a third) of the year. While I wish I could blame the operators for being greedy capitalists... to be honest its mother nature's damn fault that cable riding is so steep.
Old     (Cisco)      Join Date: Apr 2010       04-18-2012, 10:16 PM Reply   
Wake Nation charges $30 for two hours at Cincinnati and Houston. That's 10 times cheaper than $150 per hour. I heard that if you have a season's pass, then you can use it at both cables. I wonder how that would work in Canada. I keep trying to think of where Wake Nation's Canadian cable will go but it must be Ontario. It wouldn't make sense anywhere in the east coast or prairies. Maybe they teamed up with that dude in BC who helped those skiers learn that their sport is next to dead. I'll never understand why people slalom ski when they could soul carve. I ain't hatin' though. I just don't see the appeal
Old     (Cisco)      Join Date: Apr 2010       04-18-2012, 10:22 PM Reply   
Is there something you know but aren't telling us Great Lake Wake?
Old     (Wiatowski)      Join Date: Aug 2011       04-19-2012, 5:34 AM Reply   
At that price it may make me hate cable even more..... I wanted to try cable to see if it changes my opinion of it... but for that price I'll throw the gas in the Supra.
Old     (stuey)      Join Date: Dec 2004       04-19-2012, 10:18 AM Reply   
@Matthew... I think you have to remember the comparative costs between boat & cable. You can get a seasons pass at The Ranch or Borders Pass for $500ish bucks. That's like 3 tanks of gas in my boat. You have to remember how many out there don't have a boat/friends with boats, etc. $500 to ride all summer sounds pretty good to me. Kudos to the guys in ON doing cable... will likely have 4 straight line systems operating for this summer. Awesome for the advance of our sport
Old     (delmage171)      Join Date: Mar 2008       04-19-2012, 12:09 PM Reply   
I am a member at Boarderpass in Sarnia. I can ride at the Port Colbourne BP as well but I will mainly be riding in Sarnia.

The first year they did not have memberships and charged $75/hr in sarnia which was hard to justify when my weighted nautique does not burn anywhere near that...but..

They came out with memberships at $500 for the whole year and they have 20 desigated hours each week for just members as well as if you call ahead and no one is riding you can ride at anytime as long as the timeslot is not booked. They also have a limited number of membership passes due to it being a small facility and they want to accomodate the riders!

These System 2.0s are awesome in my opinion for getting more time on the water. I am a shift worker and my work is less then 5minutes from Boarderpass Sarnia so this means I can stop by after or before work and get a set in!

It is 100% alot easier to round up myself, board & helmet and go ride for an hour then rounding up a whole crew to go shred boat, get gas for a whole day etc.

I am still a boat rider at heart but these systems are great and I hope a full cable pops up close to my house!
Old     (benjaminp)      Join Date: Nov 2008       04-19-2012, 4:05 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiatowski View Post
I'd like to try cable... but I though only one person could ride a 2.0 ...am I wrong in thinking this?
Nope, one person at a time. And I never minded paying $75 for an hour at BP, I cant ride cable for an hour anyway so I bring two friends and take turns. 20 min each and you're burnt out by the end anyway, works out pretty well. Thats how much I pay for a set on a friend's boat, and they last the same amount of time.
Old     (Cisco)      Join Date: Apr 2010       04-20-2012, 9:36 PM Reply   
Oops.

I forgot to consider that a two-point cable is all yours when you ride. If you rented OWC to yourself it would be $250 for 60 minutes, which makes $20 for 8 minutes of heck of a deal!

8 minutes can be a really long time on a system 2
Old     (Wiatowski)      Join Date: Aug 2011       04-21-2012, 6:03 AM Reply   
Ya but when I go out on the boat my first set is 15 mins then I usually do 2 30 mins with a 30 min break in between. I think I'll stick with the boat, I'll try cable when I go down to Florida next year.
Old     (benjaminp)      Join Date: Nov 2008       04-21-2012, 10:31 PM Reply   
All depends on what you're looking for from your ride. If you want to ride boat, then thats all well and good. I occasionally feel the need to slide a flex board across some slippery sliders, and when that happens hitting up Boarder Pass is a heck of a lot cheaper than building a rail on a Conservation Authority lake. And like Cisco said, 8 min on cable isnt even close to 8 min of boat riding. First time I rode cable I was sore for a week.