Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (dave27)      Join Date: May 2005       05-31-2011, 1:29 PM Reply   
My boat sat at the Delta for 4 weeks. When I went out yesterday I was looking it over as I always do. I noticed quite a bit of tranny fluid in the bilge and v-drive oil (the oil was coffee colored).

By the way I had only 3 hours on the boat since I tightened up the prop packing. Therefore the boat is now holding all the fluid leaks in the bilge instead of bilging those leaks out thought out the day. Anyway!

I checked the tranny level and it was full (no signs of water in the unit), but noticed that it looks like the fluid is coming out at the case breather? That spring loaded vent thingy, I could tell that the tranny fluid was blowing by then running down the side of the case and into the bilge. Anyone else have that same issue? I called velvet and they said it was normal especially if you where over full or under full. My dipstick reads overfull cold and not run. Then I run the engine and boat, then the dip stick reads right at full. Maybe I need to pull a couple of ounces out so I don't have the tranny blow by. Your thoughts?

Then I investigated that coffee oil in the bilge. I determined it was leaking from the v-drive. (by the way my engine oil was perfect and new, no water in it either) The dipstick read 3/4 below the Full mark or another way to state it is 1/4 above the Low mark. Well within range. I add a few ounces of 30SAE and the v-drive ran fine. I can't tell where the oil is leaking from. At first thought I suspected the out drive shaft, but I don't think that is it. Looks like the case seal maybe? Any ideas other than pulling it out and putting in a new seal and gasket kit? I thought tightening all the bolts.

For now I have paper towels under each unit hoping I can see about where the leaks are coming from.

Thanks
Old     (h20king)      Join Date: Dec 2009       05-31-2011, 1:39 PM Reply   
My V drive had a leak and it turned out to be the drive pan gasket I did a how to thread on centurion crew
http://www.centurioncrew.com/index.p...al-and-reseal/
Old     (camassanger)      Join Date: Oct 2009       05-31-2011, 1:51 PM Reply   
Dave, the vdrives are sorta famous for leaking. Mine does too in my v215. I think it is coming out of the very bottom of the case, VERY slowly. Pulling it out and fixing it up right is what I would normally do, but in this case, it is a major beach to get it out and fix it. So, i just keep my eye on the red light on the dash, and check it frequently and add 30w when needed. Like I said, its a very slow leak so I think Im going to just do nothing...

Cant speak for the trans, havent had an issue there (knock on wood)
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       05-31-2011, 2:09 PM Reply   
I had the same deal with my trans in the 210, over filled. My V-drive unit seems sweet.
Old     (humboldt9)      Join Date: Jun 2004       05-31-2011, 2:25 PM Reply   
2002 V210 and my V-drive has a leak from the pan gasket. If you do a search on this site for V-drive leak you'll see that Walter's are notorious for leaking from the pan. Mine has slowly leaked for a couple of years now and I still haven't had to add any fluid. I too just monitor the leak and fluid level versus the hassle of pulling the unit and replacing the gasket.
Old     (h20king)      Join Date: Dec 2009       05-31-2011, 2:40 PM Reply   
How do you keep from pumping oil into the water when your bilge pump comes on??
Old     (dave27)      Join Date: May 2005       05-31-2011, 3:27 PM Reply   
Great question Harold.
Old     (humboldt9)      Join Date: Jun 2004       05-31-2011, 3:38 PM Reply   
Harold not sure if you're referring to my comments. Like I said, I have a very slow leak as in a couple of noticeable drops in the bilge (I also put a bilge mat under the v-drive to catch any oil and remove the mat prior to dropping the boat in the water). I also have dripless shaft packing and can't remember the last time I had to use my bilge pump (knocking on wood).
Old     (dave27)      Join Date: May 2005       06-01-2011, 7:53 AM Reply   
I did the paper towel trick and found no leaks for the tranny. I did find some leaks from the v-drive thougth.

My phone call to Velvet Drive taught me that if the tranny is overfull it will raise the tranny pressure and cause blowby out the vent. So it turns out the tranny was over full by about 4 oz. So now after I run the boat I will see if the blowby stops. I hope so. For now this problem is solved.

The v-dive (paper towel trick) showed me 4 oils spots on the paper towel in the pattern of the four oil pan bolts. Those four bolts were loose 1/8-3/16 of a turn. I tighted them up as much as I could. Although I think I have a leak on one of the vertical seals, but not as bad. I tighted those bolts as well. So for now I will run the boat and keep an eye on the level and the bilge for oil. Then this winter I can pull out the v-drive and install a new seal and gasket kit.

Thanks