Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through May 29, 2009

Old     (alindquist)      Join Date: Mar 2004       04-27-2009, 1:00 PM Reply   
I'm looking at picking up this head unit:
Upload
and 1 or 2 of these remotes:
Upload
I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with the USB ipod controls on this deck? How do they work? Can I control the ipod threw the wired remotes (at least switch tracks and/or playlists). I already have a Sony deck and Sirius tuner installed in the boat so I would like to stay with Sony (my current deck is having some problems). Finally does anybody know if I can even hook up 2 remotes and a Sirius tuner to this deck (using the uni-link).
Thanks,
Old     (philwsailz)      Join Date: Feb 2009       04-27-2009, 1:13 PM Reply   
Aaron-

I am not as familiar with that radio, but am extremely familiar with that remote. That remote (RMX-55M) is fully capable of handling all iPod control function that the head unit has. You also should have no issues connecting two remotes and the Sirius tuner.

I know, it is outside of my real experience but I use that remote and personally like it!

Phil
Kicker
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       04-27-2009, 2:07 PM Reply   
I have heard that Sony decks don't have the best preamp outputs. They clip or distort at a lower volume than most brand decks. This is just what I heard from someone. I don't have personal experience with this issue.
Old     (alindquist)      Join Date: Mar 2004       05-20-2009, 1:49 PM Reply   
I have another quick question on this. I'm finding there is a rm-x55m and a rm-x60m, and Crutchfield actually has a rm-x55m Q2 (possibly the x60m???). What is the difference, the x55m (on eBay) seems to be about $40 cheaper. Phil, can you confirm that you have the x55m and it will work with the ipod direct connect (USB)

Thanks,
Old     (dsw)      Join Date: Feb 2009       05-21-2009, 7:48 AM Reply   
I just installed the 55m. I have a different head unit. At $55 on Amazon I got it before even deciding where I was going to place it.

You will need a 3 1/4" hole saw in order to mount the unit. Big hole to drill in your boat - almost the same size as the unit.

All of the required controls are on the 55m plus there is the scrolling display for the ipod. Not sure what would be gained by going with a more expensive unit.
Old     (philwsailz)      Join Date: Feb 2009       05-21-2009, 7:59 AM Reply   
Aaron-

Looking into it.

Stay tuned...

Phil
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       05-21-2009, 10:19 AM Reply   
The 60 is the new version of the 55 and is not out yet. From what I was told, there are no end user differences.
Old     (philwsailz)      Join Date: Feb 2009       05-21-2009, 10:52 AM Reply   
Tige-Mike is right.

Minor software revision, no operating differences.
The center of the 60 is black, the 55, silver.

It is just an update.

Phil
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       05-21-2009, 12:06 PM Reply   
I knew this only cause I inquired about it yesterday cause I just ordered the cdxm60ui H/U and remote. Distributor said the x60 remote was not out yet, but no diff from the x55.
Old     (shepsigkap)      Join Date: Apr 2009       05-21-2009, 2:01 PM Reply   
We have 2 RM-55 remotes and LOVE THEM!! We also have a Sony deck I believe it is the 08 version of the one you are looking at and we have no complaints with it either.

If you can get the RM-55 vs the 60 I recomend it - they are way cheaper! We just swaped out the transom remote from an old Sony remote to the 55 just like we have on in the dash.

The iPod controls take a little getting used to but once you figure it out it is great! We plug the iPod in in the glovebox and just leave it there.
Old     (alindquist)      Join Date: Mar 2004       05-21-2009, 3:38 PM Reply   
Thanks guys, I confirmed some of this yesterday with Crutchfield. I'm gonna pull the trigger on this set up tomorrow. I found the x55 for $59 with shipping and the deck for about $160 with shipping (both on eBay).
Old     (ss1234)      Join Date: Jul 2005       05-21-2009, 6:04 PM Reply   
putting that head unit in tonight, but I got the rm-11 (no display) due to the size.