Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through February 07, 2006

Old     (load)      Join Date: Jul 2003       01-18-2006, 11:47 AM Reply   
Anyone every done it? What is the outlook/timeline with Physical Therapy till riding again.

Thanks, first time injury for me looking for some feedback.
Old     (mendomalibu)      Join Date: Dec 2005       01-18-2006, 11:59 AM Reply   
doug,
I dislocated my shoulder a couple of years ago barefoot wateraskiing backwards. it was very painful! I would take a broken bone then another dislocation. My advice is to not push the healing process. Give it at least 4 to 6 weeks to heal. if you start to soon you will dislocate it again. And every time you do it will pop out easier. So take your time, do lots of rehab.
Old     (gherk)      Join Date: Aug 2001       01-18-2006, 12:06 PM Reply   
I dislocated my shoulder about 2 years ago and was actively lifting weights back when it happened. This past year I haven't been lifing and my shoulder suffered because of it. I can definitely feel that my shoulder is weaker than my good shoulder and I am reinjuring it occasionally. The doctor said that I could either have surgery or try to rehab it back to shape first. I chose to rehab and now that I'm lifting again, I have noticed a difference. It's stronger but still not where I want it. My advice to you is to see a doctor first and see what they have to say. There are different levels of dislocation and you might even have a muscle tare.

To answer your question. I don't think anyone will know what your PT time will be. I think it depends on the extent of your injury and your dedication to getting it rehabed.
Old     (lzyboy)      Join Date: Jun 2001       01-18-2006, 12:26 PM Reply   
Yeah,

I am with Jason, I hate to scare ya but once it pops out, its more likely to do it again, so take it slow... I didn't have surgery & I have a good range of motion, just not the same range as I used to have, it is definately weaker.

However, with that said, I still ride hard & it doesn't stop me from living my life and the sports I love... Take your time, everyone heals differntly, it is an injury that can re-occur heads up...

Good Luck -

Lzy
Old     (load)      Join Date: Jul 2003       01-18-2006, 12:37 PM Reply   
Thanks guys, have first pysical therapy appointment on Thursday and I'll go from there. Like with any injury, it is amazing how much you take for granted until it's gone.
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       01-18-2006, 1:13 PM Reply   
I did it really bad barefooting when I was 21. Basically, I held on too the rope to long with my right arm while my body did one of those high speed flips. Not good. It twisted my arm upside down in the socket to the point that if I had gotten it to pop back in, I probably would have lost my arm cuz the doc said that a major artery was strung across the socket.

It was a Lake San Antonio, so it took about 1.5 hours to get out of the water and to the hospital in Templeton. Once there, it took the doctors about another half hour to x-ray and figure out how to get it back in without pinching off my blood flow.

The bottom line is that I stretched the hell out of everything that holds my arm and shoulder together. It was quite a few months before I could really get pulled by a boat again. It never really heals to the way it was before you stretched everything out. To this day I've learned to live with the fact that it will occasionally roll out (especially on those 360's gone bad).

Oddly enough, a straight pull from the boat doesn't even really bother a dislocated shoulder. You'll really feel it when you do really subtle weird twists to it. Mine has rolled out when I leaned down to catch a frisbee while sitting on a bench, when I've sneezed while lying on the couch and as a result of several other seemingly innocuous actions. On the other hand, things like playing football or wakeboarding sometimes won't bother it at all. It's a strange injury.

You can always get surgery to tighten things up in there, but I think you'd first want to just work on building up the muscles around your shoulder. The more muscle you have in there, but better it's going to hold together. You'll know if you need the surgery if it keeps falling out on you whenever you stress it. If you're young and active, there is a good chance you'll do it again and, as someone mentioned above, it will stretch out more each time.

Good luck with it!
Old     (edandgem)      Join Date: Jun 2005       01-18-2006, 1:34 PM Reply   
Doug, so sorry to hear about your injury. Hope your will be back on the water soon. Take good care.

Ed
Old     (wakedad33)      Join Date: Oct 2005       01-18-2006, 1:41 PM Reply   
Once it happens the first time, take it slow and rehab per the doc recommendations. I did mine racing motorcyles and was young and foolish and starting riding again in about a month, well it popped out again and after that it was happening all the time, sometimes even in my sleep. Had to do the surgery thing. That was over 20 years ago and it still bothers me today. I've broken lots of bones but nothing hurts worse then a dislocation. Take it slow.
Old    00wakesetter            01-18-2006, 2:15 PM Reply   
Randy, i thought i was the only person that has woken up from a dead sleep only to feel my shoulder pop out. OUCH! I also have dislocated my shoulder prolly 15 times. I have always been able to get it back in socket myself before the boat even had time to get back to me. I have seen doctors and they say i need surgry but i still ride and try not to think about it to much.
It semms like after you do it, it hurts like hell at first but after about two days i feel alot better.
Old     (litlone873)      Join Date: Jan 2005       01-18-2006, 3:22 PM Reply   
Doug,

I'm sorry to hear you hurt yourself. Looks like between you and Gary, we have both a designated driver AND a photographer!

Take it easy and get well soon.
Old     (liv2brd)      Join Date: Oct 2005       01-18-2006, 11:12 PM Reply   
Doug,
Depending on how extensive your injury is, physical therapy may or may not help. Your Doc should have done x rays (generally won't show much) and an MRI (this will pick up more info). If the problem persists after your therapy, you may have a torn capsule which would require surgery. If this is the case...get it done! I'm about your age and I've have 2 shoulder surgeries. 2 months to heal, 1 month easy therapy (mostly for regaining range of motion) then work on strengthening. By 4 months you should be feeling good.
If the dislocation never happens again then disregard this message and have a nice day!
Old     (kevin_bird)      Join Date: Dec 2002       01-19-2006, 10:41 AM Reply   
I have done both of mine by the time i was 16 and it sucked i would be sitting in a car and go over a speed bump and it would pop. Doc told me i would be out for at least 18 months. After talking to a few docs and people who had, had the surgery, i actualy decided to put the surgery off and just keep riding. The doc told me it was ok to ride just as long as i could handle it. I learned what would pop it out, and compensated while riding so it wouldnt. I never rehabed except for riding 4-5 times a week. Neither of them have popped out for over a year now. Anywyas my point is i have heard from many people that got the surgery that they wished they hadnt. A buddy of mine got it and it made his sholder worse. I had mri's right after it happened and everything was rally strecthed i am anxious to do another one to see how much it has tightened up. good luck
Old     (iamnathanhudson)      Join Date: Dec 2002       01-19-2006, 11:42 AM Reply   
yeah i had my shoulder falling out of socket all the time....mostly just when i was hanging around or i had a drink or two for some weird reason. Anyways, i tore all my cartilage from the bone and now i got three nice titanium screws in there holding it down. it still pops out here and there but that is because i didn't do very good with my PT. That is this years focus......STRENGTHENING!!! Good luck.....isn't it the weirdest feeling when it goes out....even weirder when it pops back in.
Old     (xesstar)      Join Date: Nov 2005       01-25-2006, 3:25 AM Reply   
Hi Doug,
Sorry to hear about your shoulder. I have done mine 15 times wakeboarding,surfing & sex!!! I have to get it put back by the hospital every time. The 1st time i did it was in Thailand doing a tantrum I did not really know what happened and the doc put it back in and no follow up was given.
2 days later I was wakeboarding with mega pain in my arm so no inverts (I landed my 1st 540) this was a utterly stupid idea as you need to give your arm 3 months of Therapy to strenthen your shoulder again so you will not dislocate again (every time you dislocate it will get weaker and easier to pop out) try to stick with the Therapy excersises even though they are boring and then do strenth work in the gym.
When you are riding again try to bring your arm into you chest as you fall this will reduce the risk of disloction as your arm cannot in this position. Try to never put your arm near the postion (in every aspect of you life) where any further strech could dislocate then you body will get used to being in a safe position.
I have not done it for a year now and hope it stays that way as I do not want the surgery!!!
Good luck
Old     (ivyrider)      Join Date: Jan 2004       01-25-2006, 9:09 AM Reply   
I am so sorry to hear about that Doug!!! I hope you feel better soon! Let us know if there is anything we can do for you.
Old     (ccripps)      Join Date: Oct 2003       01-25-2006, 9:50 AM Reply   
If you have injured your shoulder it is a must that you do what ever it take to let heal. If not you will pay for it later in life. At 41, I am older than most of you and let me tell you Shoulder surgery is the most painful rehab you will every experience!! I have also had knee surgery for a tore ACL, which was very easy in comparison to the shoulder surgery.

I separated my shoulder over 20 years ago, no big deal, just popped it back and kept going. Over the years I have hurt it a few more times Mountain biking, Waterskiing, lifting weights, pitching baseball etc. Every time just a little rest, throw on some ice and I thought it was fixed.

Well it finally ripped, in Oct at Lake Mead I was climbing on a rope swing when I got this sharp pain and had to let go. As usual a little ice and the next day it was good to go, so on the lake for a few rides on the SkySki.

This sounds like a lot of you just pop it back and keep going. Your shoulder is NOT made to separate if it does there is something wrong!

Bad mistake: for the next four weeks the pain would not go away. So finally I had to see the Doctor who quickly determined there was a problem and scheduled me a special type of MRI.

The results showed I had a badly tore Rotator Cuff, 90% Tore Bicep Tendon (slap Tear ) and along with a ton of Arthritis. So no choice Surgery was my only option or give up doing anything that involved pushing, pulling, throwing or putting my hand over my head.

After the Surgery, he said with the amount of Arthritis that was in my shoulder the initial injury had to be at least 20 years old. Also his guess was the initial injury had to be a separation that was not treated, I only did that once 20 years earlier.

I had my surgery Nov 29th and I am just now starting to be able to sleep.

The schedule for Rehab following surgery:

10 days in a sling NO movement of my right arm at all and I am right handed.

Then PT 3 times a week for 12 weeks along with home PT 3 times per day. I can’t explain how painful this is and it is everyday.

Hopefully at the end of the 12 weeks I will supposedly have my range of motion back (hopefully) and most of the pain will be gone.

Following that it will take another 12 weeks to get the strength back.

So the Moral of this story Don’t take a Shoulder separation lightly.
Old     (derby)      Join Date: Nov 2005       01-25-2006, 10:23 AM Reply   
Im with chris. Rehab after surgery is a bitch. I've had three.

Hang in there Chris. I really do feel your pain. I had 75% of the labrum screwed down and a clavical resection on the 7th of December. I've been in rehab for a 2 1/2 weeks now and feeling a little better...a little better. With a ton of hardwork I definately see the light.

By the way you got lucky only wearing the sling for ten days. I had to wear it for 5 weeks.

Old    drrexdc            01-26-2006, 8:51 PM Reply   
Hey just noticed the posting and thought i would give you some info. no matter how much Rehab you do if that glenohumeral (shoulder) joint isn't in place all you are doing is strengthening the wrong muscles to hold the shoulder in place therefore a possibility of setting yourself up for chronic problems or possible re-injuries. If you can find a GOOD chiropractor one that does extremity and rehab/muscle work and haas a cold laser you back in full force in 3-6 weeks with little worries. Ever have anymore questions about injuries just ask know a lot about them.call 972-965-3889
Old     (heem)      Join Date: Dec 2005       01-29-2006, 11:14 AM Reply   
Doug,
Sorry to hear about the shoulder, injuries are never easy to deal with. I have not read every response so I apologize if I repeat some info.

There is a ring of tissue called the Labrum that is responsible for keeping the head of the humurus (upper arm bone) with in the shoulder socket. During a dislocation and in some cases an AC (acrimoclavicluar) seperation this ring of tissue tears away leaving the shoulder vulnerable to future injury. PT will assist with strengthening the muscles that surround the shoulder but it will not prevent another dislocation.

The healing time varies with each person. I can tell you that after 20 years after my first injury, my shoulder still does not feel solid. About 10 years ago I had a procedure called a Bankart repair. This surgery tacks the labrum back to where it is supposed to be. Since the surgery I have had no prior injuries but I am also very aware of the limitations with my shoulder. I also have very limited range of motion.
Any medical professional with tell you that the shoulder is an extremely complex joint and needs to be taken care of with diligence. During your rehab don't push to come back to soon or you risk further, more destructive damage to the shoulder that could sideline you indefinitely. Good luck.
Old    bocephus            01-29-2006, 12:01 PM Reply   
The first time I dislocated my shoulder was in high school playing football. The coach took a softball put it in my armpit and pulled and it went back in. I was back in the game in minutes. Big mistake though. I can now do that Mel Gibson trick that he does in every Lethal Weapon movie at will. I just give it a tug and out it comes. I lift pretty hard and have spent a long time building up my shoulder, neck and back so that I keep it in when I want, like when I barefoot or slalom ski. Wakeboarding hasn't been much of a problem though. When I slolam ski though I really have to position it right when going around the bouy or it will pop right out every time. It doesn't hurt anymore though.

(Message edited by bocephus on January 29, 2006)