Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (NorCal_Jason)      Join Date: Feb 2017       02-03-2017, 10:51 AM Reply   
Hey everyone, I have been reading through hundreds of WW posts for the last few months and have a pretty good idea of what to look for in a used boat and what I want. This will be my first time owning a boat but I have done a lot of driving and wake boarding, mainly with I/O"s. With the amount of experienced boat owners on this site I'm hoping you guys can help.

I found a 2000 SAN 210 (non team edition) for sale at a dealer. The outside of the boat looks good, no fading that I can see in the ballast, and I'm not sure how good of shape the trailer is in but it looks decent. The boat has the dark green color scheme. It has NO tower speakers, NO ballast, NO sun shade. These missing items are not a deal killer for me at the right price. Here is the main issue, they don't have the hours on the boat and from what I have read this is common with this engine and gauges for this year. They are saying 150-200 based on what the owner said but they are just guessing. What should I look out for when I go to check it out tomorrow? I'm also worried about resale value due to the engine hours, if we really use the boat as much as I plan to,, then an upgrade will happen within a few years. BTW, the price is just below $20K before any discussion.
Old     (dvsone79)      Join Date: Dec 2012       02-03-2017, 11:17 AM Reply   
Take it to a marine mechanic. They should be able to read engine hours from the ECM. You can also compression test each cylinder to get a better idea of what kind of shape the engine is in. 200hrs seems awfully low on a 17yr old boat...
Old    dreamboat1            02-03-2017, 11:25 AM Reply   
Those were solid boats! For sure get it looked over by a mechanic and that would be wild if it was only a 200 hour used boat. And being at that price for that year I would pick it apart.
Old     (NorCal_Jason)      Join Date: Feb 2017       02-03-2017, 11:30 AM Reply   
Do dealers ever do compression checks? If not, looks like I need to find a mechanic that can come with me to check it out.
Old     (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       02-03-2017, 11:45 AM Reply   
Is this the one that's on onlyinboards?
Old     (jonblarc7)      Join Date: Jul 2006       02-03-2017, 12:08 PM Reply   
Great boat had a 95 super sport which had the same hull and I think the same engine. I sold that boat about 7-8 years ago with perfect pass, tower, 4 6.5" tower speakers and ballast for 19,000. It was mint and I got exactly what I was asking for in about 2 weeks.

So that price is not good at all.
Old     (laptom)      Join Date: Apr 2002       02-03-2017, 1:51 PM Reply   
If it is a gt40 engine you cannot get engine hours from the dealer. Do a compression test. Water check the tranny if it slips or keep on rotating at idle. Quite bullit proof boats and great value.
Old     (NorCal_Jason)      Join Date: Feb 2017       02-03-2017, 2:43 PM Reply   
Mark: Yes this one is on onlyinboards, you have any further on it?

Blair: I have not been able to find a year 2000+ v-drive for much less than $20K so far (at least in CA), but thanks for the info.
Old     (ripr)      Join Date: Mar 2002       02-03-2017, 4:39 PM Reply   
Those years of SAN's have a few strikes against them....you can't get engine hours off of them at the engine because they use an old automotive style ecm that was never intended to have the hours read off of an engine. Compression checking the engine will give a good idea of how it's been cared for.

The other is those Teleflex digital gauges. Those things are notorious for failure, are expensive to replace (I think Sea Star bought out Teleflex?), and even if they work, have poor visibility.

I'd recommend looking for one that's had the analog conversion done and a compression check/full boat inspection.
Old     (Shane10p)      Join Date: Jul 2013       02-03-2017, 4:50 PM Reply   
http://portland.craigslist.org/wsc/boa/5975829248.html
Old     (ripr)      Join Date: Mar 2002       02-03-2017, 4:58 PM Reply   
http://www.boulderboats.com/pre_owne...sp?veh=4818991
Old     (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       02-04-2017, 8:22 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal_Jason View Post
Mark: Yes this one is on onlyinboards, you have any further on it?

Blair: I have not been able to find a year 2000+ v-drive for much less than $20K so far (at least in CA), but thanks for the info.
I don't. When I read your first post, I started looking in that year/price range to see what's out there. I think you should keep looking. Are you trying to pay cash or financing?
Old     (NorCal_Jason)      Join Date: Feb 2017       02-04-2017, 2:21 PM Reply   
If I can get the right deal I will pay cash, but once it starts heading north of $20K then probably financing on a 10 year loan.

Thank you guys for the advice, I will probably use this thread throughout my buying process so I don't keep starting new ones!