Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (bstroop)      Join Date: Apr 2005 Location: Athens, Alabama       01-29-2016, 5:34 PM Reply   
I'm back in the market again and looking at an 07 Avalanche. Anything specifically a negative on the 07? I know it's not a high end boat but I don't consider them the bottom either. Immaculate boat, 181 hours, perfect pass, evolution tower, center ballast, and trim plate. It's the right size and within my budget so I'm just looking to see if there's any reason to steer clear.

Hydrofoiling 50%
Surfing 20%
Wake boarding 15%
Kids tubing 15%

General input appreciated

Not that it really matters but for comparison I've already owned:
1999 pro star 205
2006 Tige 20i
2007 Calabria Team V

Thanks,
Brian
Old     (h20king)      Join Date: Dec 2009       01-29-2016, 6:26 PM Reply   
It is a surf monster with the right ballast set up it will hydrofoil no problem pull a tube all day but the wakeboard wake is touchy and tends to wash out on one side due to the deep V. The mercruiser is plenty reliable and it should serve you well. No real problems with the avalanche to speak of. If you want more info head over to the centurion crew.
Old     (xstarrider)      Join Date: Jun 2007       01-30-2016, 9:49 AM Reply   
Having owned 2 Avy's I can say it's a great boat. The vinyl on them is probably their worst asset. The Merc Powerplant whether it's the standard or the ugraded versions will easily push the boat fully loaded. I can't remember what year they changed the tranny, but 3 blade props seemed to push these boats way better than 4 bladed back then.

The wake is in the steeper side due to the deep v. It also doesn't take huge amounts of ballast to get the wakes meaty. It's surfs like a much larger boat........Was the king of surf for long time and still can compete with the big boys. It's little tricky to get the wakeboard wake dialed, but it's easily done. You just have to be cognizant of where people are sitting. The boat rides through the chop like a knife through butter. It handles very well for how big of a boat it is. People stay high and dry.

Make sure it has the hydraulic wake plate not the standard manual one. If it's just the standard manual one I would make it a must you need to upgrade that to the hydraulic one (meaning control is up at drivers helm rather than having to adjust it at the plate manually) . I would order at least 4-6 pop products or lead wake bags in order to balance people these are a must have as well.

The best setup out of the box is factory plus about 350 in the nose. That will satisfy most for boarding. Surfing obviously add as much as possible to the surf side and enjoy. The boat is an awesome all around boat. The layout is great and the storage is plentiful. The evolution tower had its quirks just like every tower but it wasn't necessarily a hunk of junk.

I have owned
88 2001 Nautique
5 Centurions
A 205v and currently own an 08 210. The avy was still one of my favorite boats of all time. Their dealership network was just belly up by me so could no longer get their boats locally or I'd probably still own one.

Last edited by xstarrider; 01-30-2016 at 9:52 AM.
Old     (h20king)      Join Date: Dec 2009       01-30-2016, 10:09 AM Reply   
Gear radio changed in 06 so if looking shop 06 and up and look for a c4 model to avoid the walk through transom. Not that the walk through is bad but limits ballast and seating to the regular side.
Old     (1niceharley)      Join Date: Feb 2010       01-30-2016, 11:10 AM Reply   
I have on 08 Avy and love it. Also check to see if the prop shaft seal has been upgraded. If not that will probably need to be done soon. I did mine last year.
Old     (Truekaotik)      Join Date: Jun 2012       01-30-2016, 1:00 PM Reply   
No major issues with these boats and they will throw a killer wave or wake. A very under rated boat in its class. Besides what was mentioned, I see you only have a center tank. this means your package is very low and will need to add fat sacks to the rear lockers. 1100# in each rear locker is recommended for a one install and done. For the most part the more weight equals a bigger wave with these.
Old     (bstroop)      Join Date: Apr 2005 Location: Athens, Alabama       01-30-2016, 2:45 PM Reply   
Thanks for the feedback everyone.

It has the 330hp Black Scorpion and the trim tab is dual piston hydraulic. Planned on adding ballast to the rear as suggested. It's not the C4 but I'm ok with the walk through because I'd like the added floor space behind the drivers seat. Only have one friend that surfs goofy so he'll have to deal with it or learn to ride heel side LOL.

Will probably go look at it in person this week and make an offer. Dealer actually has two 07's.

Orange and white, 181 hours, perfect pass, center ballast, evo tower, and hydraulic wake plate.
Black and white, 70 hours, no perfect pass, triple ballast, evo tower, manual adjustable plate.

Both priced the same.
Old     (xstarrider)      Join Date: Jun 2007       01-30-2016, 5:34 PM Reply   
Honestly your better off without the hard tanks in there anyways. Throw some bigger fat sacs back there and you'll be money.

That's pretty strange package. With 330 and hydraulic plate but center ballast only. Not very common. But again, use that to your advantage and get some nice size sacs back there if you like the walkthru go for it.
Old     (bstroop)      Join Date: Apr 2005 Location: Athens, Alabama       01-30-2016, 5:44 PM Reply   
Yeah.....I thought the other was a strange combo as well. Triple ballast but no perfect pass or wakeplate.

It's about 3 1/2 hours away and I think I'm gonna pull the trigger. Hopefully pics to come in the next few days.
Old     (xstarrider)      Join Date: Jun 2007       01-30-2016, 7:11 PM Reply   
Good luck ......the boat as mentioned is a sleeper. Worth the drive if the pics check out for sure You'll love it if it works out.
Old     (1niceharley)      Join Date: Feb 2010       01-30-2016, 7:27 PM Reply   
I bought ours brand new and it only had the center ballast, 330hp, and hydraulic wake plate. That way I didn't have to bother with removing any factory installed ballast to put more in the lockers. Current setup is 1100 in each locker. Looking to upgrade the starboard side to a custom sac to go up under the seat for more surfing ballast.