Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       10-28-2015, 2:05 PM Reply   
Ok what happened here.
1. Girl is texting and being disruptive in class.
2. Girl is asked to Stop texting and put her phone away
3. Girl refuses and is asked to leave class
4. Girl refuses to leave class by the teacher & other students in the class
5. Teacher call in School super in-tenant & again is asked to leave the class room and Girl Refuses
6. They call in local police to remove the girl from class
7. Police show up and ask her to leave she again refuses police orders to leave class.
8. Police try and remove her and she resist's ( you can see her hitting the police in the face 2 times) and then a MMA show ensues

And Roll the video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJGCRliclXQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJ7oXV2GCmA

If I had a Kid I'm sure I would NOT want them Man handled by the police like this!
With that said
If my kid was being a Ass like this Girl is being then I would be pretty embarrassed for her actions, and offer the kid this advice. If your going to be STUPID You better be TOUGH.
Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       10-28-2015, 2:42 PM Reply   
Yeah, my wife is a teacher and I have a 15 year old daughter and she can see both sides as she has had students who refuse to to cooperate. It was definitely excessive force and I hate to use "but"...but what's the next step that should have been taken? My wife suggested that the parents remove her but she said that situation gets ugly too, especially when the parents side with the child.

This comes down to parenting and lack of real consequences for kids in school. Teacher can't touch them, administrator's can't touch them. They refuse to do something and you... take away their lunch break? Ewww, so scary!
Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       10-28-2015, 3:36 PM Reply   
I agree that the force shouldn't have been so violent and ultimately believe that the student got to the cop as well so the cop probably felt like he had a point to prove as well.

If this was my son or daughter i'd probably smack the crap out of the kid once we got home because at the end of the day the girl brought it on herself by being disobedient and not respecting the authority of the teacher, super in-tenant, or the officer. The reaction by the cop was wrong in this case but the girl needs to own the outcome because like it or not she was the aggressor. Did she think there would be a heart warming hug it out solution at the end and all would be good?

It may be wrong I firmly believe today's society would be so much different if youth were disciplined and taught the manners that our parents grew up with. That being said, regardless of the up bringing it's still up to that child or person to live by a certain standard of morals and values and anything more or less is a decision of that person solely. So we can't do the old "blame the parents" routine.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       10-28-2015, 8:32 PM Reply   
Turns out they fired the officer because "fumbled the ball" This is what they had to say about fireing the police officer

When you make an arrest of someone who does not have a weapon, you never let go of the subject. When he threw her across the room, he let go of her. That's what violates our policy," Lott said.

LOL LOL

http://news.yahoo.com/sheriff-decide...fMQRzZWMDc2M-#
Old     (meathead65)      Join Date: Sep 2006       10-28-2015, 9:47 PM Reply   
If one one my kids ever escalates a situation - to the point a police officer got involved - getting spun across the floor and cuffed will be the absolute high point of their day.

Way too many kids with zero respect for adults.

I'm sure this kid and her family just hit the NAACP jackpot, how many millions will the lawsuit seek?
Old     (westsidarider)      Join Date: Feb 2003       10-28-2015, 10:04 PM Reply   
The kid deserves far more than what the officer dealt. If it were my kid and I wouldn't be thrown in jail for it she would have had the wrath of a leather belt when she got home. OBEY YOUR SUPERIORS. They are in charge. Society these days makes me sick
Old    bigdtx            10-29-2015, 6:02 AM Reply   
Kid is/was an idiot. The cop was way over the line - he could have broken her neck the way he threw her across the room - and he's lucky he didn't.
Cops are supposed to deescalate the situation, not get into a brawl with everyone who resists - especially a teenage girl.

Turns out this cop has a history of excessive violence so hello lawsuit.
Old     (wake26)      Join Date: Mar 2009       10-29-2015, 6:30 AM Reply   
I work at a K-12 school and some of the stuff I see kids do is pretty amazing. Parents have made it to where teachers and admin have no way to deal with kids like this. As soon as the student gets in trouble here comes the parents screaming and yelling, my kid is a good kid no way would they do that. God forbid that a kid these days gets in trouble for there actions. The cop might have been a little rough but dam what else are you going to do with a girl that is putting on a show to get a little attention, guarantee this isn't the first time she has pulled a stunt like this.
Old     (Squamer)      Join Date: Oct 2015       10-29-2015, 7:08 AM Reply   
When I was in school (being only 26 not too long ago) if you got out of line you were treated exactly as you deserved. It didn't make us cry to our parents and when we did they told us we probably deserved it for acting like idiots.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       10-29-2015, 7:58 AM Reply   
I think people in positions of authority over people that can be un ruley like teachers & police have to have a skill set that is very diverse. Example police get called out to calls as mellow as rescue a cat out of a tree, then the next call could be dealing with a active shooter. It's hard to have a police / teacher that would be great at both scenarios. Imagine having to stand on a riot line at a protest of people throwing rocks and bottles at you, try and defuse these people??? Then your called out to deal with a student that won't put her cell phone away???? Some times the job requires you to be Hard as a rock and at other times soft as a pillow. IMO it would be very frustrating dealing with people of all social and economic and mental status's. You only have to search you tube kids out of control at high school seems to be very common. Attacking teachers seems very common. Sad,
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       10-29-2015, 8:18 AM Reply   
LOL... #coplivesmatter
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       10-29-2015, 8:38 AM Reply   
If I am not mistaken, the cop was the school resource officer. I would think a resource officer would be trained to deal with kids. Having said that, when a cop gets involved, he is there to arrest someone, and they will take any means to get the job done. Its like asking the military to police a state...oh wait.... Anyway, I don't know what to think about that video. He didn't need to throw her like that, but how was he supposed to get her out of the chair without force? She sure didn't do anything to help the situation.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       10-29-2015, 11:33 AM Reply   
I'm not upset about the way the officer handled the situation. Excessive....yes.. but oh well. Cops are people too, and they're going to do things they shouldn't sometimes. Want to avoid this happening to you? Just do what they tell you. As the parent I would be more embarrassed than angry.

I do agree with the termination of the officer. If he got away with that, he'd probably do worse next time.
Old     (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       10-29-2015, 11:59 AM Reply   
When I was in kindergarten, we used to have to sing "my country tis of thee" each morning. Well one day I had the bright idea to try out my comic routine and make up my own words to the song... Not so smart...... My teacher grabbed me by the hair and shook me like a rag doll. My head and neck hurt all day long. Needless to say, I never did that again... No one sued. No complaint to the principal. I just fell in line like I was supposed to.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       10-29-2015, 12:09 PM Reply   
bitch got rolled up!!
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       10-29-2015, 12:19 PM Reply   
Why did they terminate him?? She refused to comply and struck him twice!!! He could've used a helluva lot more force than that. Soft school bitches trying to save face instead of stand up the for cops THEY called! How quickly will a cop respond next time?
Old     (tonyv420)      Join Date: Jul 2007       10-29-2015, 12:33 PM Reply   
In junior high, I refused to take my hat off at the assembly and the principal grabbed me by the back of my coat, drug me out of the gym and slammed me into the nearest corner. I had to stand there until the assembly was over. No big deal, I just waited until it was over and went back to class LOL
Kids now days are trying to push buttons, in hope they will get abused and try to claim abuse / race discrimination / or whatever. This country has lost all its morals. Just watch the news, it makes you puke! We live in a country where Bruce Jenner gets a Woman of the Year award. Now that's effed up!!!!
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       10-29-2015, 1:17 PM Reply   
When I was in Jr High my bald coach overheard me refer to him as "chrome dome" then came over and lifted me up on my toes by my hair.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       10-29-2015, 1:50 PM Reply   
This

http://madworldnews.com/applaud-termination-officer/
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       10-29-2015, 2:25 PM Reply   
I'm not applauding the firing because it's difficult to micromanage a cops behavior to that level. But that article is clearly wrong. It claims.. "he couldn’t have “thrown” her in such a way by his own power with where his hands were". But it's as clear as day that he grabbed and threw the chair over backwards. That was a move that could have caused a serious blow to the head. The article claims nobody even in hindsight no one could have figured out how to handle it differently. Well, the officer could have handcuffed her in the chair, then taken a breather and assessed the situation.

"After you watch it, pause it and go frame by frame. Watch where his hands are. Look at her body, her posture, her movements. Then, try to do it. Try being the officer and have your body in that position and throw a full-grown woman like that. It doesn’t work. I don’t care how strong you are."

That is total BS. Look at the video. Even a 90lb weakling could have flipped her over backwards. He gripped the bottom of the desktop and used it as leverage to flip her over.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       10-29-2015, 4:12 PM Reply   
Look at the way this guy Throws a Student involved in a fight!

http://youtu.be/P2eWp43X9U8

I guess it ok to toss a Black chick if your a Black Dude! Imagine if it was a White police officer that did that ^^^^^

Here a black student throws a White teacher to the ground while fighting another student. Hummm?? I wonder why the media or the news never picked up on this.

http://youtu.be/fgJCYp0bn74
Old     (snork)      Join Date: Jun 2007       10-29-2015, 6:04 PM Reply   
What does the Goat say?

https://youtu.be/nlYlNF30bVg

Last edited by snork; 10-29-2015 at 6:12 PM. Reason: Ima smf
Old     (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       10-29-2015, 10:46 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd1 View Post
bitch got rolled up!!
LOL!!! Yes I did. In fact, I almost felt as bad as a Seahawks fan.
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       10-30-2015, 7:49 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by grant_west View Post
Here a black student throws a White teacher to the ground while fighting another student. Hummm?? I wonder why the media or the news never picked up on this.
Well I hear about most of this kind of stuff on social media. So I guess the entertainment news networks are in tune with the general public's line of thought. IOW, our preconceptions of what we want to hear drive profits and trump the need for actual news.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       10-30-2015, 8:48 AM Reply   
I just saw that local news picked up the story of the Black student picking up and throwing the White teacher to the ground news story. This happend here in a Ca. It will be interesting to see the outcome of what happens to the student?

Jarod's link was IMO spot on. These kids with behavior issues seem to be impowerd buy the policy of "act up and hope the authorities put hands on you" make sure the video cameras are rolling. Trial by public opinion and cast judgement to avoid protest or mayhem by the instigators.

Yes it seems the cop was heavy handed. Did he need to get fired! IMO NO! I think his actions now that brought to light would have the guy re-think his next heavy handed arrest. It seems strange that when a criminal breaks the law they re sent to jail for "Rehabilitation" and when people in the corporate environment mess up they are sent to some sort of "sensitivity training" or anger management. I don't know why this police man was not given the opportunity to "change" or given some sort of "2nd chance" we seem to be one with doing it to violent offenders.
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       10-30-2015, 9:24 AM Reply   
If you are a taxpayer you might want to rethink the cop being fired issue. If that girl had suffered a brain injury in the incident I could see huge lawsuits resulting. It's doesn't matter how badly you want her to pay for the consequences of her actions. Not sending the wrong message requires that those entrusted to enforce the law also not send the wrong message.

I also see a tendency for people to want to put cops on the same level as criminals when it comes to responsible behavior. It is illogical to give cops a pass for acting like criminals unless you want to give criminals a pass for acting like criminals. You don't determine acceptable behavior by comparing against the worst elements of society. I see that with people saying things like... "If you are a Christian in (some part of the ME) they will persecute you, so why should we tolerate them here?". You act according to your own principals. If you see others acting in a manner lower than your standards and see that as a rationale to lower your standards, then your standards are not really yours.
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       10-30-2015, 10:11 AM Reply   
I resisted arrest when I was a minor once. I got thrown around really good. I was in more trouble at home. Never did it again and learned that the best way to deal with police is to avoid getting into stupid situations that would put me in direct contact with them.
Old     (augie_09)      Join Date: Mar 2011       10-30-2015, 10:14 AM Reply   
I see nothing alarming about a teenager being slammed to the ground after trying to repeatedly strike a police officer. I have 3 kids and wouldn't cast one bad thought towards an officer if my kids acted this way and then got taken down. Heck, we all take falls harder than that wake boarding and get right back at it. He shouldn't be fired or reprimanded. The more we limit our teachers, super intendants and even police officers in what they can and can't do, the more we invite recurrences of such encounters. I have a feeling most people saying he responded too harshly have never been in a physical altercation. Sure, she's a teenage girl in a chair, trying to hit you, how threatening is that really, but if just one blow lands right, say a dirty nail to the eyeball, infections and who knows what could happen. Police officers can use any force necessary to defend their personal safety, imho. If she was 5ft away with her hands in the air and he shot her (fergunson), yes, he needs to be prosecuted. but she was striking him after he gave her a choice to leave or be physically removed. I am ashamed of our soft society for even making this a news story.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       10-30-2015, 10:20 AM Reply   
I think the bigger question is what is the "cost" to socoity when the animals run the zoo? Back in the day when most kids had moms and dad's your father would administer this type of smack down if you stepped out of line. Not saying kids of yesteryear were angles but I think kids had a healthy respect for the law.
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       10-30-2015, 1:15 PM Reply   
I don't think "the cost to society when animals run the zoo" is really the issue. The punishment for what this girl did is a separate issue. And it's more likely she'll be punished less if the cop is guilty of excessive violence. If she suffered a head injury that costs $100K to treat then your principals wouldn't be worth 2 cents as a defense. Pragmatism always trumps principals. And the notion that the appearance of excessive force from cops will bring the "animals" in line is IMO misguided.

BTW, I also looked at that video and had the feeling that she got what she deserved. But sh*t doesn't work that way in real life.
Old     (bftskir)      Join Date: Jan 2004       10-31-2015, 4:01 PM Reply   
I would have turned to the teacher and said take your class to the library...I will handle this here. Then call principal and parents to come get her.
Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       11-02-2015, 7:20 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by wake26 View Post
I work at a K-12 school and some of the stuff I see kids do is pretty amazing. Parents have made it to where teachers and admin have no way to deal with kids like this. As soon as the student gets in trouble here comes the parents screaming and yelling, my kid is a good kid no way would they do that. God forbid that a kid these days gets in trouble for there actions. The cop might have been a little rough but dam what else are you going to do with a girl that is putting on a show to get a little attention, guarantee this isn't the first time she has pulled a stunt like this.
Similar thoughts to what my wife tells me all of the time. For the worst offenders she would tell the parents that they need to come sit with their kid for a day and of course none of them ever did because they couldn't miss work...to deal with their ridiculous azz kid. Ok, well at some point you will be bailing them out of jail and saying "but jr. is such a good kid, it's the cops fault".
Old     (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       11-02-2015, 8:06 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by bftskir View Post
I would have turned to the teacher and said take your class to the library...I will handle this here. Then call principal and parents to come get her.
Agreed. The class should have been emptied. It would have prevented any video recording too.
Old     (Laker1234)      Join Date: Mar 2010       11-02-2015, 1:16 PM Reply   
She'll end up suing, getting 40 million dollars, and retiring.
Old     (cadunkle)      Join Date: Jul 2009 Location: NJ       11-02-2015, 2:57 PM Reply   
Not sure what the best way to handle that would have been. Government school and government police though. Violence is the only tool government has to enforce anything though, so it's no surprise that things quickly escalated.