Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (ncsuuh)      Join Date: Jan 2007       05-13-2014, 9:22 AM Reply   
So I am going deep sea fishing this week off the coast of NC. I get sea sick, really bad. I've been on the Gulf before and puked the whole time. But I did have success in not getting sick once. But I took 6 drammamines and drank beer. Now I have this patch that's a prescription called Transderm Scop. Has anyone tried this? I am reluctant to try without hearing any feedback. If it's a toss up I might just take the drammamines again.
Old     (phathom)      Join Date: Jun 2013       05-13-2014, 10:04 AM Reply   
I haven't had problems with sea sickness myself but be careful with the drammamine and drinking too much beer. It turns off your ability to throw up even if you really want or need to. They also make you drowsy, especially with beer as I'm sure you know. They are the same medication as benadryl and unisom, all are just packaged and dosed a little different.

Try that patch out to see if it works for you, but keep some drammamine handy in case it doesn't.
Old     (ncsuuh)      Join Date: Jan 2007       05-13-2014, 10:42 AM Reply   
I took the non-drowsy stuff. Didn't really effect my drinking ability. I am not affected by Benadryl, doesn't make me tired. I just don't want to get off shore and be screwed.
Old     (Zteven)      Join Date: Sep 2013       05-13-2014, 11:28 AM Reply   
The patches work. I've used them for the same type of fishing excursion in the past.

As a back-up you can try these: http://www.sea-band.com/ca/. Should be able to get them at most pharmacies near the coast.
Old     (baitkiller)      Join Date: Jan 2010       05-13-2014, 12:01 PM Reply   
Listen carefully. I am in and around big water and Yankee pukers all the time.
Get the regular Dramamine and take it every night at bed time for two days before the trip. You will sleep like a baby and it starts to build up in your system.
The day of the trip switch to the non drowsy formula or use the patch and you are good to go. Make sure you eat something.
Old     (alindquist)      Join Date: Mar 2004       05-13-2014, 4:24 PM Reply   
Don't be hung over & pop a few Dramamine an hour or so before you get on the boat... This has always worked for me but the big thing is don't get ****ty the night before....
Old     (MCObray)      Join Date: Mar 2013       05-14-2014, 8:56 PM Reply   
Went deep sea fishing off the Oregon Coast a few year back. Threw up 17 times. I thought I could deadliest catch it and get away with not taking Dramamine. What an idiot. I'll never go out to sea again.
Old     (williamburell)      Join Date: Sep 2011       05-15-2014, 4:33 AM Reply   
I don't get sea sick and have limited experience with dramamine etc. What I do know is last weekend we had a 3 day bachelor party. Got absolutely blistered on day 1. Day 2 I literally couldn't keep food down for 5 minutes and the world was spinning. Took CVS brand anti-nausea liquid and about 20 minutes later I had a beer in hand and felt fine. The next day I tried bonine and it didn't do a thing but make it worse. The CVS stuff was a miracle worker. Only time I've taken dramamine was on a 10 hour flight for the sole purpose of knocking me out. On the return flight it didnt knock me out so I guess once it builds up it makes you less drowsy.
Old     (bobenglish)      Join Date: Mar 2008       05-15-2014, 5:00 AM Reply   
Scopolamine patches work well. You will have a dry mouth, but it will help the sea sickness.
Old     (clubjoe)      Join Date: Sep 2005       05-15-2014, 8:48 AM Reply   
Scop patches work very well. Make sure you put them on as long before you board as possible so the meds can get into your system. They can make some people a little drowsy, so keep that in mind. Also make sure you wash your hands after putting it on. If you touch your eye they will dilate, and you'll look like half a crankster.
Old     (Pad1Tai)      Join Date: Jan 2013       05-15-2014, 11:44 AM Reply   
I heard a natural remedy for seasickness is chew some Ginger........... And don't eat any breakfast other than some fruit and water...

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/3277342