Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (yousefhadeedi)      Join Date: Feb 2013       02-25-2013, 8:41 AM Reply   
Hello all,

I will be buying my first powerboat bowrider 23 foot without an outboard engine; i will have to purchase that separately. My question therefore is: is it better to buy a 2 stroke or 4 stroke given that i would like to buy between a 225 or 250 hspwer engine for the majority of the time wakeboarding. I do understand that wakeboarding enthusiasts recommend an inboard engine (or at least an I/O) but this will not be the case for me.

My overall concern firstly is that I understand by many viewers and reviews that 4 stroke engines do not have a fast 'shot hole' acceleration as 2 stroke engines to let wakeboarders take off from within the water. Does this still apply for newer advanced engine models (Yamaha, Suzuki, Mercury Optimax/ EFI etc).

Secondly on another note boaters mention that 2 strokes are noisier in general however does this also apply to newer engines? (as mentioned above)

Note 1: the boat i will be buying weighs (without an engine) approx 1 ton. I do not know how much weight of an engine has on the significance on the dry weight of the boat therefore affecting the trim and planing of the boat like mine. Your comments on this matter would be highly appreciated.

Note 2: I am currently living in Kuwait (Gulf Middle East). The Persian Gulf sea waters are extremely salty. If you have any tips and advise on how high salt content affects either 2 or 4 stroke engines I would welcome any comments.

Gas prices here are some of the cheapest in the world so although 2 strokes are less fuel efficient it isn't so much of a consideration over here price wise.

Looking forward to all your expertise opinions, comments and feedback.

Thanks again,
Old     (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       02-25-2013, 1:33 PM Reply   
Go 4 stroke. They are heavier with more low end grunt - in general. You're going to be operating in the lower end of the rpm range, so a 4 stroke should do better.
Old     (ntkamper)      Join Date: Sep 2007       02-25-2013, 3:32 PM Reply   
ABSOLUTELY 4 stroke way heavier, bigger wake. more reliable no smoke super quiet get a yamaha or honda
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       03-04-2013, 5:09 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakebordr11 View Post
Go 4 stroke. They are heavier with more low end grunt - in general. You're going to be operating in the lower end of the rpm range, so a 4 stroke should do better.
^^^ exactly
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       03-04-2013, 5:59 PM Reply   
4 strokes definitely seem to be the way things are going. The Evinrude Etec may be the one 2 stroke I would consider. It seems to be that a lot of people that replace 2 strokes with 4 strokes are doing so because 4 strokes are quieter and less smelly than the traditional 2 strokes. I am not sure the difference is nearly the same with Etec vs the newer 4 strokes. I am sure you can google etec vs yamaha/honda/suzuki and find an endless amount of comparisons. Like anything there are a lot of people on either side that make up the vocal majority. I have a feeling you would be hard pressed to go wrong with any of those 4 outboards or Mercury for that matter. I thought the big advantage of the etec was it had the better power/torque and the low weight of the old 2 strokes but in a much smoother idling and less smelly package. On a 2 stroke like the etec their wont be much in the way of maintenance but you will be adding 2 stroke oil and I think the etec stuff is pretty expensive. I don't think the Etecs have any scheduled maintenance for the first 300 hours. The Etecs have an auto fogging feature I believe which should help with internal corrosion if you are leaving the boat in salt. I am not sure if the newer 4 strokes have something similar. Honestly I think you would be happy with any of the new stuff.

Do you have certified mechanics for all the different brands around you? That would be a huge
Old     (scottb7)      Join Date: Oct 2012       03-04-2013, 6:13 PM Reply   
i would get the evinrude etec if it was me...
Old     (motorcitymatt)      Join Date: Feb 2007       03-04-2013, 6:34 PM Reply   
Save your $$$$

Go two-stroke

The extra 100lbs. of a 4-stroker isn't really going to make a huge difference in the wake.
Old     (humboldt9)      Join Date: Jun 2004       03-04-2013, 7:14 PM Reply   
Yamaha four stroke salt water series. End of discussion.
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       03-05-2013, 7:12 AM Reply   
Get two.
Old     (yousefhadeedi)      Join Date: Feb 2013       06-29-2013, 3:05 AM Reply   
Thank you to all of you for all your comments! I have bought a used 4 stroke engine Suzuki Df 250 V6 and am generally very happy with it! Considering it is my first experience owning, maintaining and operating a boat and engine it is a great learning curve.

Thanks again,

Yousef Al-hadeedi
Old     (Cardi)      Join Date: Jul 2012       07-02-2013, 5:07 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by humboldt9 View Post
Yamaha four stroke salt water series. End of discussion.
Couldn't have said it any better
Old     (LowPressure)      Join Date: Sep 2010       07-03-2013, 1:14 PM Reply   
One of my best bud's owns the Sundance Marine chain in Florida. Their market is the 20-45ft CC open fish, which almost always have outboards.

He sells more Yamaha's, but prefers the Evenrude.