Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (miljack)      Join Date: Feb 2006       04-14-2012, 5:41 AM Reply   
Ok, I'll try again, looking for a new board for a CC230 vdrive, will have add on ballast, approx. 2500# total.

Boards I'm considering;

IS Sweet Spot Pro
Triple X Nitro-size?
Phase 5 Colt
Phase 5 Carbon X

I'm about 175, wife 120, we both were riding an IS Red Tide behind our DD previously.

I have surfed the Grindwater Ginsu and Makua (?), IS Blue, and some other comp molded boards.

thanks
Old     (tonyv420)      Join Date: Jul 2007       04-14-2012, 1:25 PM Reply   
Mitch??? He’s the guy you want to ask, seems to know quite a bit about all the diff models
Old     (lakesurfer)      Join Date: Jul 2009       04-14-2012, 3:37 PM Reply   
Phase 5: I would think the Colt and Carbon X would be big for you and especially the wife. The dimensions of both those boards are the same size as an X-Large Danielo Pro and it rides up to 250lbs. I had a a Danielo Carbon and it was great, but I dont skim anymore so I sold it. Not sure how good the new Phase 5 Colt/Carbon X hybrid boards are.

Sweet Spot: I have had the Sweet Spot and its a great board for an intermediate board. Fast down the line, pretty easy to spin, etc. The only problem most people have is pearling it (sinking the nose) because their stance is to wide.

Triple X Nitro: Dont know anybody that has ridden one so I cant comment.

Here is a great threat with comments/feedback on a bunch of boards:

http://www.centurioncrew.com/index.p...oard-you-surf/
Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       04-14-2012, 6:08 PM Reply   
The Triple X Nitro or Sweet Spot Pro would be the way to go out of those 4. The Sweet Spot Pro is super easy to ride and allows for a lot of progression. The older sweet spot was prone to pearling, but the current one is a lot more forgiving. The Nitro is also a great board for the price.

JKW is right about those two Phase 5s. They are too big for you and your wife.
Old     (miljack)      Join Date: Feb 2006       04-15-2012, 6:02 AM Reply   
Thanks for the replies, What size Nitro would be good? I like the IS boards and their durability, how will the Triple X hold up?
We're just looking for a fun board we can progress with, we really haven't surfed with a decent wake long enough to do any tricks, so we're looking forward to that this year.

All the Phase 5 boards I've seen are plain bottoms, any comments on how this would work for a "surf" style board? I've seen some folks on here excited about the new Carbon X surf style board, that's why I was interested in that and the Colt. Coming from that IS Red Tide (07.5), which was a tricky board to ride because it was fast and very sensitive side-side, do you think we'd have trouble on the two Phase 5 boards?
Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       04-15-2012, 11:32 AM Reply   
If you go with a Nitro go for the 4'8". The Nitro is pretty durable for a surf style board. But you still need to be careful.

I didnt recommend the Colt or Model X because they are not real surf style boards. They are more of a hybrid. Also, they are just too big for you two.
Since you two know how to ride, I think you would out progress a hybrid fast (if you havent already).

You two would be able to progress more on the Nitro or the Sweet Spot Pro. The colt or Model X do make great boat boards though. They are super durable, fast, and can handle smaller wakes.
Old     (miljack)      Join Date: Feb 2006       04-23-2012, 9:45 AM Reply   
thanks for the tips all, I ended up with the Triple X Nitro 4'8" and it's a fun board! Got a set in last weekend, and I'm looking forward to surfing this board.
We used it with 3 fins, they are pretty big, what setup are people using with this board?
Old     (dougr)      Join Date: Dec 2009       04-23-2012, 1:52 PM Reply   
you need to ride a true skim and then a true surf style board to choose what you like the most. i have some of each and when i am fat, lol i have a few larger boards, i swing 50lbs so there are different boards, if you are 170 and stable, look for something smaller like the sweet spot, drew carbon large, or med, an oogle is an ok boat board, a stixx tresher or hazen standard, the flyboy would be a killer board for your size, you have so many choices because of your weight, good luck
Old     (drnate)      Join Date: Jul 2006       04-23-2012, 2:25 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by miljack View Post
thanks for the tips all, I ended up with the Triple X Nitro 4'8" and it's a fun board! Got a set in last weekend, and I'm looking forward to surfing this board.
We used it with 3 fins, they are pretty big, what setup are people using with this board?
I have the larger Nitro and run it with just the two outer fins. My wife runs it with all 3 fins for the stabilitly.