Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (alindquist)      Join Date: Mar 2004       03-15-2012, 6:10 AM Reply   
Im about to put together a RGB led lighting system in my boat and I have a few questions for the led gurus on the board. I'm going to do 10 cup holder rings, 6 6.5" speaker rings, 1 12" sub ring, and 2 5' strips along the gunnels in the cabin... Maybe a few more strips in the storage compartments. A total of about 15-20 meters. I'm trying to figure out what controller I should use. I want to be able to turn them all on at once and have them all change at the same time. Simpler is better, less components is better. The rgb's will be 60 LEDs per meters. Most of the controllers that I see are for 5 meters. Do I need a more powerful controller or an amplifier? Any help or links would helpful. I have checked ozium & superbrighted.com but I'm have a hard time making sense of it all.
Thanks,
Aaron
Old     (wakebrdr94)      Join Date: Jul 2010       03-15-2012, 7:01 AM Reply   
Do you just want them to flash together? Or do you want different channels doing different things? Do you want to sync with music? What effects are you going for?
Old     (alindquist)      Join Date: Mar 2004       03-15-2012, 7:14 AM Reply   
A simple fade & static colors would be just fine. Most of the cheap controllers that I see would have plenty of effects for what I want to do. It would be cool to have it dance to the music but totally unnecessary.
Old     (alindquist)      Join Date: Mar 2004       03-15-2012, 7:15 AM Reply   
But yes, one requirement is that all the lights are doing the same thing at the same time.
Old     (david_e_m)      Join Date: Jul 2008       03-15-2012, 8:12 AM Reply   
With that volume of lights, RGB amplifiers can expand the controller output.

David
Earmark Marine
Old     (wakebrdr94)      Join Date: Jul 2010       03-15-2012, 9:01 AM Reply   
http://www.oznium.com/rgb-led-remote-controller

This is the controller I went with for my tower. It has 4 channels, can do something different on every channel, or the same thing. Can handle 2 amps per channel for a maximum of 8 amps. It has a setting to go with music, although it takes some fine tuning and it works best with a particular volume. So if it syncs well really loud, may not sync so well on a lower volume. I've got it dialed in a lot better since the video as it was the moment I completed install and wanted to get it going. Don't pay attention to the lights under the gunnels, as I purposely wanted two controllers control cabin and towers separate.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Je6hI...e_gdata_player
Old     (alindquist)      Join Date: Mar 2004       03-15-2012, 11:41 AM Reply   
Dave, can you tell me if that will power 4 5 meter strips? Does anybody know how many amps thoses 300 led 5 meter strips draw?
Old     (david_e_m)      Join Date: Jul 2008       03-15-2012, 11:49 AM Reply   
Aaron,
Most controllers are limited to the length of one reel, so about 5 meters. But that is only a generalization.
Don't assume that all products are the same. Your source of equipment should be answering these questions for you since they should know their own products.

David
Earmark Marine
Old     (wakebrdr94)      Join Date: Jul 2010       03-15-2012, 12:08 PM Reply   
I believe the 5 meter roll with 150 LEDs draws 1.5 amps. Don't quote me, but I believe I read on one of the sites when I was researching controllers. I have a lot of room for expansion on that unit. Here is a link to another boat running the same controller. So you can see it can handle a good amount.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OdFSc...e_gdata_player
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       03-15-2012, 12:18 PM Reply   
5 meter's is 15 odd feet so you you will do fine with a regular cheep ($30) controller to push 3 rolls of rgb. WORST case you might need a amp depending on your controller I have had no problem pushing 3 rolls with a single controler
Old     (wakebrdr94)      Join Date: Jul 2010       03-15-2012, 12:28 PM Reply   
Aaron,
I am by no means an expert, David and Grant are for more knowledgeable in this area than me. Pretty much just sharing what I did after my own research and install.

Just an FYI

I actually learned how to solder from watching one of grants videos. ( mine did not look as clean as his, but it worked) Needed to know for the install. Sooo, thanks G

Last edited by wakebrdr94; 03-15-2012 at 12:35 PM.
Old     (alindquist)      Join Date: Mar 2004       03-15-2012, 12:56 PM Reply   
Thanks guys, David if I spoke Chinese I would talk to the manufacture (can u guess where I'm ordering them from)... I think I'm gonna have to just order stuff up & play around to make sure it's all gonna work but I feel a little more confident. I'm sure I'm just brain ****ing this all, once I have it in hand everything will make more sense and I can at least do some bench testing.
Thanks again guys
Aaron