Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through February 15, 2009

Old     (miljack)      Join Date: Feb 2006       01-03-2009, 4:52 AM Reply   
Just curious about those of you who own Sunbrella boat covers, how much life are you getting out of them? I'm curious if the thread is still intact, and how long the Sunbrella material will stay water repellent?
thanks
Old     (onamission)      Join Date: May 2002       01-03-2009, 6:46 AM Reply   
My first one lasted 10 years. The others where sold with the boat after 5 years, but where in perfect shape.
If the thread used was Sunbrella it should last as long as the cover.
Water repellent? How long is it used out in the elements? 1-2 years under normal use.
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       01-03-2009, 10:38 AM Reply   
I've never worn one out. Always sold the boat after 4 or 5 years with it still in good shape.

It's not unusual for a cover to need repairs from time to time, even Sunbrella covers. My own has a spot on one side that will be repaired this winter. Looks like I must have rubbed it on something, maybe pulling it in or out of the parking space on the side of my house.

It's also necessary to re-waterproof the covers every 2 or 3 years.
Old     (treycleaton)      Join Date: Mar 2005       01-03-2009, 5:55 PM Reply   
How do you re-waterproof a cover?
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       01-03-2009, 6:05 PM Reply   
Heres an old WW discussion where a few ideas were kicked around.

I've used the Aqua-Tite product personally & the stuff will make a paper towel totally waterproof.

I should also mention that it depends on how much time your boat & cover spend outside, and in the rain. Up until a couple years ago, my boat lived outside 24/7/365, so obviously the waterproofing wouldn't last nearly as long as someone who stored the boat inside.

(Message edited by bill_airjunky on January 03, 2009)
Old     (sewlong)      Join Date: Jan 2009       01-11-2009, 10:31 AM Reply   
Sunbrella just introduced a new 10 yr limited warranty (previously 5 years)
With proper care and maintenance you should expect a minimum of 10 years use.
Furthermore the less the fabric is exposed to the elements (mostly the UV) the longer it is going to last.
Check out http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVXV2qc0CRM for cleaning instructions

As for thread you should use a PTFE (Generic term) or Tenara by Gore (Brand Name) this type of thread is guaranteed to outlast the fabric.