Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       10-01-2014, 2:45 PM Reply   
So I recently moved back to my home town (middle of nowhere) from Minneapolis... the move meant I could trade a small downtown condo for a nice lakehouse. When I moved to Minneapolis I sold my boat to my brother... which he still has and is looking to sell himself.

Now that I have a lake place, getting a boat would be ideal.... locally there are two good options:

My old boat / my brothers current boat:
1995 Supersport
tower / ballast / audio system done up (all by me)
750 hours (GT-40 rebuilt @ 450 hours)
Newer interior (done when I owned it in 2012)
... I can buy this off him for $9000, he is giving me the deal I have give him minus the use/wear-n-tear

Boat one lake over:
2004 Malibu LSV
315 hours, spotless
Hammerhead 380 engine
tower - bimini / lights / speakers / etc
MLS ballast
Wedge
...I am good friends with the seller's neighbors, randomly seeing her/the boat sounds like I can get it for $30k.

Pros of the supersport are the price, I know its history, and it can be "sold" without dealing with taxes. Its ago means I don't have to worry about scratches and dings.
Cons: we sold because it was getting small for us, its 20 years old now, and surfing is only so-so behind it.

Pros of the Malibu - bigger, newer, nicer, better surfing, and still local (3 miles away)
Cons of the Malibu - I would be taking a loan for some of it, and with the new house that will most certainly need some work, having a payment for something I can use 4 months of the year kinda sucks.

WHAT TO DO?!
Old     (OneCent)      Join Date: Jul 2010       10-01-2014, 3:28 PM Reply   
yeah, not easy... take the sunsport, finish the house and then buy something newer, bigger and more surf friendly.
Old     (seth)      Join Date: Sep 2002       10-01-2014, 4:26 PM Reply   
Take the SS back for 9k!!! Clean it up and list it for 15k, ride it until it sells and put that money towards another boat! No matter what you will get more than 9k for it.
Old     (dejoeco)      Join Date: Apr 2003       10-02-2014, 5:47 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by seth View Post
Take the SS back for 9k!!! Clean it up and list it for 15k, ride it until it sells and put that money towards another boat! No matter what you will get more than 9k for it.
You brother might not be happy with you if he is giving a deal. The BU is going to keep you happy longer.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       10-02-2014, 6:04 AM Reply   
Quote:
Take the SS back for 9k!!! Clean it up and list it for 15k
Quote:
You brother might not be happy with you if he is giving a deal.
I would feel guilty, but when I moved I gave him the same deal essentially, so it really wouldn't be toooo bad of a thing for me to do.

Quote:
take the sunsport, finish the house and then buy something newer, bigger and more surf friendly.
This is my wife's thought, but she also things buying a pontoon would be a better idea than either wakeboats, so she has lost creditability.

Quote:
The BU is going to keep you happy longer.
And thats my thought... we can keep the BU for 10 years, and it will be the age of the supersport now.... so to have one boat (not that it will happen that way) thats newer and nicer that should last longer seems like a good idea.... but there is nothing worse than making a boat payment when its -30* and there is 24" of ice on the lake.
Old     (jonblarc7)      Join Date: Jul 2006       10-02-2014, 6:23 AM Reply   
Super sport all the way

Ride it for 2 year and put the money you would have paid each month for the loan of the other boat in a savings account. Then sell the super sport for 15k and add another 7,200 (at 300 a month from the savings account) to that and get you a bigger boat with a much smaller payment.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       10-02-2014, 7:22 AM Reply   
I'd have to go super sport. too many balls in the air to know if the 'bu will fit at the moment.
Old     (501s)      Join Date: Feb 2010       10-02-2014, 7:51 AM Reply   
Id say the Bu. In 4 years it will still be worth around that $30k with the way wake boats are holding their value and new boat prices keep climbing. But it really depends more on your financial situation than anything else. If the small boat payment isn't going to effect you much just go with the boat that will make you happy long term.
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       10-02-2014, 8:00 AM Reply   
That's a great year for the Malibu and the Hammerhead 380 is probably an awesome motor for it too. That's probably the route I would go.
Old     (srock)      Join Date: Mar 2002       10-02-2014, 9:43 AM Reply   
Let your brother keep and use the old boat at your new house with an equal trade of usage.

I would get settled, save some money then buy something else. You will have a lot going on while you get settled and you should have a little emergency fund. There are always deals to be had so don't worry about it. Another sweet deal will come along and as a cash buyer you will be ready to pounce.

Now that you are on the water the boat may not be as "small" since you don't load all your crap and crew for and entire day.

I hope your next post is not bitching about all us poor saps making too much noise and wakes destroying your dock.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       10-02-2014, 10:26 AM Reply   
Quote:
Let your brother keep and use the old boat at your new house with an equal trade of usage.
He is on the water too... if I don't buy it he will be selling it to someone else.
Quote:
Now that you are on the water the boat may not be as "small" since you don't load all your crap and crew for and entire day.
I was on the water when I owned it before. I just happen to live before (and again) on a lake with a ton of family / friends.... so the narrow beam 21' boat gets small quick.

Quote:
2014 Malibu Wakesetter 23LSV
Yeah, I don't think you read my original post all that well.

Quote:
In 4 years it will still be worth around that $30k with the way wake boats are holding their value and new boat prices keep climbing.
Thats my gut thought too.... but same logic can be applied to the Supersport, if nothing else could stand to make money on it after a few years of use too, worst case I break even.
Old     (Jmaxymek)      Join Date: Feb 2012       10-02-2014, 11:46 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by sidekicknicholas View Post

This is my wife's thought, but she also things buying a pontoon would be a better idea than either wakeboats, so she has lost creditability.
Hahahaha!

We're in Oct. now and season has a few weeks left before it's time to pack up. Either way you're going to be watching a boat sit in the driveway for what's forecasted to be another long winter. Pass on the boats now, get settled with the projects on the house and hunt for deals over the winter.
Old     (illini88)      Join Date: Oct 2007       10-02-2014, 7:52 PM Reply   
I don't think you can go wrong with the super sport. It's fully depreciated at this point. I don't see any time in the near future when you won't be able to get rid of that for $9k.
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       10-03-2014, 5:43 AM Reply   
I'll take the SuperSport for $9K. You buy the Malibu.
Old     (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       10-03-2014, 6:50 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by fly135 View Post
I'll take the SuperSport for $9K. You buy the Malibu.
I will bid 9001 and 3 high fives.
Old     (fish6942)      Join Date: Dec 2005       10-03-2014, 7:02 AM Reply   
Buy the Super Sport for watersports and a pontoon for cruising.
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       10-03-2014, 8:42 AM Reply   
Didn't you get the house at a rock bottom price? Fix up the house, have it reappraised, suck the equity back out of it and purchase a boat with it. You get, lower rate, longer term(not really a good thing), and you can write off the interest.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       10-03-2014, 11:56 AM Reply   
Quote:
Didn't you get the house at a rock bottom price? Fix up the house, have it reappraised, suck the equity back out of it and purchase a boat with it.
We got it pretty darn cheap.... we actually just closed about 2 hours ago!

It appraised (when the bank took it in foreclosure) last Dec at $285k. Our local bank didn't require a new appraisal, but I think we're planning to update a lot of the interior and septic should help boost that value. We have 30% down on that appraised value (we're borrowing $200k for it), but after ~$50k in updates, I think the value should jump into +300k range.

We have about $50k in in liquid assets to make improvements / buy a boat / etc..... and are allowed another $40k to borrow against the house if needed, but the less interest we have to pay on the better.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       10-03-2014, 12:32 PM Reply   
Quote:
i will bid 9001 and 3 high fives.
sold !
Old     (mike2001)      Join Date: Feb 2008       10-05-2014, 2:34 PM Reply   
This super sport has been in more threads on wakeworld than robert's tige and all of chattwakes boats combined. Please sell it to someone outside the family and start fresh
Old     (MattieK27)      Join Date: Mar 2010       10-05-2014, 5:06 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike2001 View Post
This super sport has been in more threads on wakeworld than robert's tige and all of chattwakes boats combined. Please sell it to someone outside the family and start fresh
And I thought I was the only one thinking this.

Between your threads asking for advice about houses, cars, moving, boats, etc, I'm shocked Nick that you were able to pull the trigger on getting married without a wake world "what should I do" thread.

I say that to be funny, but seriously there have been a ton of what should I do threads in recent years from you. I usually don't ask for advice online, but if I did I know wakeworld would be really far down the list of places to ask...
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       10-06-2014, 7:38 AM Reply   
Quote:
This super sport has been in more threads on wakeworld than robert's tige and all of chattwakes boats combined.
Quote:
Between your threads asking for advice about houses, cars, moving, boats, etc, I'm shocked Nick that you were able to pull the trigger on getting married without a wake world "what should I do" thread.
Haha!

I am just a classic overthinker.... so more info/input I can put into an decision the better I feel about it. I usually have a game-plan coming into these sort of things, but like hearing answers that confirm my thinking.... helps verify I'm not totally losing my mind.

.... but, in my defense, all the advice seems to be working, over the last few years I've made out like a bandit between the moves, cars, and boats.... lets keep the gravy train a-rolling
Old     (brycejb328)      Join Date: Aug 2009       10-06-2014, 8:48 AM Reply   
Do you want to trade one of your cars for a boat?? I have a vlx I'd be interested in trading plus some cash.

I just figured you might be due up for a different car anyways :-)
Old     (Redheadd)      Join Date: Apr 2014       10-06-2014, 9:27 AM Reply   
Lmfao!
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       10-06-2014, 12:11 PM Reply   
Quote:
Do you want to trade one of your cars for a boat?? I have a vlx I'd be interested in trading plus some cash.

I just figured you might be due up for a different car anyways :-)
Haha..... I am getting bored again, but we are back down to two now.... waiting for the 9th when Tesla hopefully announces the Model 3 / D / ? whatever they'll call it... then I can get my pre-order in, and when its delivered we'll be looking to unload one! Fingers crossed for the 50k Tesla.