Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (MattieK27)      Join Date: Mar 2010       02-18-2013, 2:34 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixfe View Post
Ooops... didn't realize the 2014 was different. I assume since the title of this thread is "Show us your tow vehicle" that you own one of these new 2014 SRT8's, right? I'll also assume that you own that G23 pictured in the article too. Sweet set up, bro!

Now some math for you...

G23: 6,000 lbs. (incl. tower)
Trailer: 1,500 lbs.
Gas: 400 lbs.
Gear: 200 lbs.

Total: 8,100 lbs.

So... if the Jeep is empty w/out any gear or passengers, you have still exceeded the towing capacity by almost 1,000 lbs. Even if you dump the gear and gas, you are still over. And this is assuming you have no passengers or gear in the Jeep! Start putting people in the Jeep (wife, kids, etc.) and your tow capacity goes down.

Come on... you don't honestly think that a big motor and big brakes are enough to tow that whale, do you?

I towed my VLX with my '12 5.7L Hemi JGC and it was not fun... even though the engine was plenty, the much lighter VLX pulled the Jeep all over the place, despite the 7,200 lb. rating. Just because you can do it on paper (and with the G23 my math proves you can't) doesn't make it a good idea.

How about using the 5400lb weight given by Nautique, that includes all factory options installed. Or 1200 lbs for a tandem axle trailer. Thats a 900lb difference right there. Your math is slanted to attempt proving a point, but thats ok. My tip, if you cant tow your 3700lb vlx with a Hemi JGC on a tandem trailer, slow down. Or learn how to drive when towing a load...
Old     (nitrousbird)      Join Date: Sep 2008       02-18-2013, 3:59 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattieK27 View Post
How about using the 5400lb weight given by Nautique, that includes all factory options installed. Or 1200 lbs for a tandem axle trailer. Thats a 900lb difference right there. Your math is slanted to attempt proving a point, but thats ok. My tip, if you cant tow your 3700lb vlx with a Hemi JGC on a tandem trailer, slow down. Or learn how to drive when towing a load...
Your numbers are also slanted. I HIGHLY doubt the trailer holding a G23 is 1200lbs. The trailer for my 21' Malibu is 1240, and that's with 14" wheels and a shorter trailer. 1400-1500 is more accurate.

And that VLX might be listed @ 3700lbs, but it weighs more than that. That's a dry weight, no tower, no options, and has been proven time and time again to be way under what the boat really weighs. Get a G23 on a scale and find out the REAL numbers.
Old     (MattieK27)      Join Date: Mar 2010       02-18-2013, 4:14 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrousbird View Post
Your numbers are also slanted. I HIGHLY doubt the trailer holding a G23 is 1200lbs. The trailer for my 21' Malibu is 1240, and that's with 14" wheels and a shorter trailer. 1400-1500 is more accurate.

And that VLX might be listed @ 3700lbs, but it weighs more than that. That's a dry weight, no tower, no options, and has been proven time and time again to be way under what the boat really weighs. Get a G23 on a scale and find out the REAL numbers.
I figured if he could balloon the boats weight by 600lbs, I could drop the trailer weight by 200lbs. Or maybe just ditch some of the gear and only have 3/4 of a tank of fuel...

Last edited by MattieK27; 02-18-2013 at 4:24 PM.
Old     (ixfe)      Join Date: Aug 2008       02-18-2013, 4:32 PM Reply   
Quote:
I figured if he could balloon the boats weight by 600lbs, I could drop the trailer weight by 200lbs, or maybe just ditch someof gear and only have 3/4 of a tank of fuel...
I wasn't intentionally ballooning the weight. I honestly thought it was 5800 not incl. tower. I think i mixed it up with 2800 lbs of ballast.

As far as my Jeep goes, it is not my primary tow vehicle. I only use it in a pinch and only around town (e.g. lower speeds). My point was simply that the boat feels heavy back there with a smaller tow rig.

Look it doesn't matter. I don't even know you or care what you do. If you want to tow the heaviest wake boat on the planet with a midsize suv, knock yourself out. Please post a picture when that ***** is actually yours.
Old     (MattieK27)      Join Date: Mar 2010       02-18-2013, 4:35 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixfe View Post
I wasn't intentionally ballooning the weight. I honestly thought it was 5800 not incl. tower. I think i mixed it up with 2800 lbs of ballast.

As far as my Jeep goes, it is not my primary tow vehicle. I only use it in a pinch and only around town (e.g. lower speeds). My point was simply that the boat feels heavy back there with a smaller tow rig.

Look it doesn't matter. I don't even know you or care what you do. If you want to tow the heaviest wake boat on the planet with a midsize suv, knock yourself out. Please post a picture when that ***** is actually yours.
I would say your tone and use of expletives signals that you do care.

Carry on with the big rigs!
Old     (Bamabonners)      Join Date: Jul 2011       02-19-2013, 5:20 PM Reply   
Quote:
JGC + 5400 piG23 +1200 trailer + 400 for gas + 200 for gear = recipe for an accident. Just because it can pull it, doesn't mean it should be done. That pig of a boat will wag that short wheel base vehicle. Just image when you pass an 18 wheeler how much it is going to push you.

My setup: 2012 23 LSV, 2011 4x4 1500 crew cab silverado with ecoboost hemi stomping 6.2L v8 Argh, Argh, Argh!!!!