Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (ldeisel42)      Join Date: Nov 2009       02-11-2011, 1:04 PM Reply   
this is one of the coolest things I have ever seen...I definitely hope you have got a patent on this thing...would hate for someone to still your idea..
Old     (kmehrkens)      Join Date: Sep 2010       02-12-2011, 7:47 AM Reply   
wakeskierbrad - Thanks for the skiing link. I added a thread there and hope to see interesting comments from them. Do you ski a lot? What do you think about the idea for skiers?

Ideise142 - yea man. patent pending! If you know someone who wants to be a part of the idea, let me know!
Old     (bmock50)      Join Date: Feb 2011       02-25-2011, 9:30 AM Reply   
Has anything else been done with this? I would be very interested in paying for some more detailed pictures or plans
Old     (kmehrkens)      Join Date: Sep 2010       02-27-2011, 5:47 AM Reply   
Hi Brett,

Yes, the next prototype is already underway. I will let you know when the video of it is out.

As for what I have already, you will hopefully be able to see it in action this summer in Minnesota at some events. Check back with us later on our site, http://lakepepininnovation.com/index.php?p=1_8_Events for information on this summer's events.

Kyle
Old     (kmehrkens)      Join Date: Sep 2010       07-05-2011, 8:17 PM Reply   
Hey everyone,

Well it's been a while since I've made any updates, but good news to report.

The next version (much different) of the machine is being tested and looks promising. I may show it at a local event this summer if I get the OK. If I do, I will be sure to post here where it will be shown.

Everyone on here has posted awesome comments on the first prototype and the next one should please a lot of you who didn't like the golf cart.

I rode a gas winch this year and LOVE the electric winches. They have their positives and negatives, but overall, I think people will like electric a lot.

Take it easy.

Kyle
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       07-05-2011, 11:32 PM Reply   
thanks for the update
Old     (kmehrkens)      Join Date: Sep 2010       07-25-2011, 10:35 PM Reply   
OK, some of you may be tired of seeing this thread pop up every now and then, but to those of you who aren't, I wanted you to know about the two upcoming events I'll be at with my new winch.

Feel free to come check out my booth at the WWA Nationals in Minneapolis on July 30th and 31st. You can see pics and vids of the new generation 2 machine as well as the winch itself. It'll be sweet to meet other wakeskaters and wakeboarders from around this area. Check it out. http://www.thewwa.com/2011/03/08/201...-minneapolis/.

If you can't make it to this event, come check out my booth at River City Days in Red Wing, MN, August 5th, 6th and 7th. http://rivercitydays.org/

After these events, you'll see videos and pics of the winch on my site. http://lakepepininnovation.com and my facebook page, https://www.facebook.com/pages/Lake-...34746733260855

Take it easy and keep ridin'

Kyle
Old     (kmehrkens)      Join Date: Sep 2010       08-04-2011, 3:16 PM Reply   
Fellow Minnesota riders, if you're interested in checking out a live demo of my second generation automatic winch, feel free to stop down to River City Days in Red Wing, MN this weekend both Saturday and Sunday.. It's automatic- no special controls or remotes needed. You can reach me at kyle@lakepepininnovation.com

http://lakepepininnovation.com/live-...s-of-red-wing/

Later!

Kyle
Attached Images

Last edited by kmehrkens; 08-04-2011 at 3:18 PM. Reason: Link Added
Old     (cjh1669)      Join Date: Apr 2005       08-04-2011, 3:24 PM Reply   
This thing rocks, rode one back in June, you can set it to go 10mph faster then the boat and hit the wake to go huge. You can also ride the wake where ever and when ever you want. Hit one button to go out, one to go in. Not a big wake skater, but saw some people riding the rooster tail like a half pipe with it

http://www.vukii.com/
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       08-04-2011, 3:50 PM Reply   
I see absolutely no point to this Vukii thing.
Old     (cjh1669)      Join Date: Apr 2005       08-04-2011, 4:02 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_nintzel View Post
I see absolutely no point to this Vukii thing.
I didn't either till I tried it. You can create tension on the line without edge, you can adjust where you are on the wake at any time. Think it goes back to 100ft. You can increase the speed you hit the wake, while the boat maintains its speed, allowing you to go bigger. It's pretty cool. Everyone on the boat was skeptical till they had a couple sets with it. Was very fun, added a whole new dimension to riding.
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       08-04-2011, 4:38 PM Reply   
I still see no point to that. Just learn how to edge properly.

Now Kyle's Wake Machine, epic!
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       08-04-2011, 4:41 PM Reply   
Sorry that was kind of a jerk-off response on my part.
Old     (kmehrkens)      Join Date: Sep 2010       08-04-2011, 8:36 PM Reply   
Andy- you're gonna be my sales dude! I like your enthusiasm.
Old     (chillinoj)      Join Date: May 2009       08-05-2011, 7:55 AM Reply   
Wow ... kyle your vision is awesome. I love the golf cart idea, just being able to drive up to a spot with all your gear and be able to catch a few sets by yourself, or with a few friends, would be the best. And I would love to have that GEN2 in the back of my truck so i could go ride anytime. I imagine that thing is heavy as a mother though and tough to wheel around?

Congrats on getting your company off the ground. I hope i get to check this thing out sometime.

p.s. I'm with you Andy,I just don't understand what the use of that Vukii thing is... And seems way too complicated for a rope attached to a boat

Last edited by chillinoj; 08-05-2011 at 7:56 AM. Reason: i can't spell ... lol
Old     (mc_x15)      Join Date: Jul 2008       08-05-2011, 11:30 AM Reply   
Amazing kyle. Ive following this thread for while and while at first i was skeptical of the golf cart idea you pulled it off. Now to take it to a 2nd generation has also amazed me. Great job and I hope you find many buyers who can enjoy your genius idea. Brilliant.
Old     (kmehrkens)      Join Date: Sep 2010       08-05-2011, 8:21 PM Reply   
Orion- Thanks man. The golf cart worked really well and was fun...until it got stuck in the sand. The beauty and pitfall is it's weight. It's a nice anchor itself but man is it heavy when things aren't going your way. Gen 2 isn't so heavy at all and it's balanced. The batteries are actually the heavy part. The only reason it's better to have two people when lifting it is because of the hand holds are easier with two people. Keeping it in the back of the truck is a great idea. I'll have it in the back of my Cherokee this weekend along with the batteries.

Rob- Thanks for the positive comments. It's rad developing the machine and I always see improvements after I make one. I can already see a much better Gen 3. What winch do you ride?

I'll post up video of the demo after the weekend. Hope everyone will like it!

Kyle
Old     (kmehrkens)      Join Date: Sep 2010       08-08-2011, 2:15 AM Reply   
Here is a short video edit of the Gen 2 machine. It was built this year and tested through the early summer, then shown to the public at the WWA Nationals in Minneapolis and at my hometown summer festival, River City Days. Thank you to all the riders who stopped to talk with me at Nationals. All the advice was super helpful and I will try my best to follow all of it.

The winch is smooth and has no hiccups thanks to the electric motor. I'll get a longer video up with more shots of the machine. Pretty simple though, one plugin and one on/off switch for controls.

Thanks again to everyone for all your positive comments! They really do feed my motivation to make it better and better.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMCDdQ1OrU8&feature=BFa&list=ULKV0JWApsmCQ&index=3

Last edited by kmehrkens; 08-08-2011 at 2:21 AM. Reason: wrong tags
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       10-05-2011, 7:59 AM Reply   
Gen 2 is out now! Way to go Kyle. I hope you are making strong connections. I got to check out the Gen 2 this summer. Still Epic, but much easier on the eyes!
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       10-05-2011, 10:26 AM Reply   
Do you still start it by yanking on the rope or is there some kind of remote control now? I would think a remote would be the way to go since it's electric. Also, why isn't it mounted in the trailer hitch receiver? Is it too heavy?
Old     (MNRIDER)      Join Date: Aug 2011       10-05-2011, 11:40 AM Reply   
This is so sick, way to rep MN dude. When are the sales going to start?
Old     (kmehrkens)      Join Date: Sep 2010       10-09-2011, 1:52 AM Reply   
Andy! Thanks for positive feedback brother. If you think this one is pleasing to the eye, wait until you see the next version...

David- Thanks so much for your support throughout the evolution of the system. The purpose of Gen 2 was to do away with the golf cart and make it stand alone. "Gen 3" has many enhancements over Gen 2 and will be the one you'll want to try for sure. Gen 2 still starts by pulling on the rope, which works flawlessly with its advantages and disadvantages, but I feel more positives than negatives. With the unveiling of the new setup, I'll explain why!

Joe - Have to represent MN! Thanks for your interest!! The next version is the one that will be for sale, but I don't want to start any rumors on dates. Expect to hear more soon.

The golf cart video is gone but this a somewhat similar video of Gen 2 as above but with some newer clips. Check it out.

Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       10-09-2011, 5:12 PM Reply   
Why isn't it mounted in the trailer hitch receiver? Is it too heavy?
Old     (kmehrkens)      Join Date: Sep 2010       10-10-2011, 6:43 AM Reply   
David- Not at all. It just wasn't part of this build.
Old     (kmehrkens)      Join Date: Sep 2010       11-17-2011, 4:31 PM Reply   
Hey everyone, just wanted to give a sneak peak and what's coming from Lake Pepin Innovation. Good stuff is brewing....still solo capable and it's electric baby. More surprises to come.

Stay tuned!!
Attached Images

Old     (daveronix199)      Join Date: Feb 2009       11-18-2011, 11:07 AM Reply   
Haha looks sweet
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       11-18-2011, 11:35 AM Reply   
NIOCE KYLE! I am gong to finish up what we where working on this week. I will email you later!~
Old     (kmehrkens)      Join Date: Sep 2010       03-18-2012, 11:42 PM Reply   
Hey everyone! I've been up to a lot of work getting ready for this season and thought I'd share a few short videos of some recent activity with the Gen 3. First video is another use for the winch with a local Crashed Ice athlete. Pretty cool stuff. We threw it in manual mode because pulling on the ice was a lot different than on the water. Second video has a few shots on the water with this crazy warm weather we are having. We ran it in both automatic and manual modes. One waterskiier actually dropped a ski. Can the gas winches do this?

If you're going to be near Minnesota in early June and want to check out the winch systems live or even try them out, I'll be pulling at the MN Spring Ride! Yea!

Later!

Kyle
Old     (bmock50)      Join Date: Feb 2011       03-19-2012, 6:13 PM Reply   
Lookin' good Kyle! I always like seeing this thread pop up
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       03-19-2012, 6:33 PM Reply   
good work!
as for the viiku, uhwut?
Old     (kmehrkens)      Join Date: Sep 2010       03-18-2014, 9:32 PM Reply   
It's been a long time since I've commented on this thread, but I wanted to update everyone and hopefully provide motivation to others out there who have an idea and want to make something of it.

Last month, my patent covering the automatic electric wakeboard winch from this thread issued! I can't begin to tell you how much work it really is to go down this road, but I will say that it is well worth it to receive this notice, even with the controversy surrounding the "broken" or "flawed" patent system. Regardless of the critics and their opinions, there is still a system in place to protect noble ideas in our country and inventors DO get noticed for their work with the award of a patent. It's still possible for inventors to start out in their garages in our country, and I'm glad there is support out there from all over to keep those inventors going, including places like Wakeworld.com.

If you have an idea that you think nobody has done, or a new unique flavor to an existing idea, consider a patent. There are many ways to accomplish something, but if yours is truly unique and different, it could be patentable. If someone says your idea has already been done, research it to make 100% sure. If it has, do it differently. If it hasn't, they don't fully understand the inventions and keep going with what you have!

See the world through a different view, create something different, be creative and original.

Kyle
Attached Images

Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       03-19-2014, 12:51 AM Reply   
wow thats amazing. congrats on the hard work
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       03-19-2014, 9:19 AM Reply   
Nice work! Now share all the secrets!
Old     (LYNRDSKYNRD)      Join Date: Sep 2012       03-19-2014, 11:52 AM Reply   
Congrats on the hard work and innovation!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk
Old     (joeshmoe)      Join Date: Jan 2003       03-19-2014, 12:01 PM Reply   
Congratulations! besides All the hard work, how much money did the patent cost?
Old     (newwhit)      Join Date: Mar 2007       03-19-2014, 6:33 PM Reply   
good job man!
Old     (nuckledragger)      Join Date: Jun 2004       03-19-2014, 7:22 PM Reply   
So when are you going to start building them?
Old     (kmehrkens)      Join Date: Sep 2010       03-19-2014, 7:31 PM Reply   
Thanks everyone for all the support!

Secrets- you can read the whole patent. No secrets since it has been published- it's all public knowledge! Pull on the rope, use a remote control, or have an operator. Any way will work!

The costs of patents vary depending on the lawyer you use, and whether you do a provisional or non-provisional application, how many diagrams you have, how many office actions there are, number of claims, length of application, the application fees, issue fees, prior art search, etc. You can expect to spend over a grand in fees alone to the Patent and Trademark Office in addition to any lawyer fees. It can really vary. That's why you have to be sure that you are going down a road that is patentable.

My advice would be this: if you have an idea and want to patent it, take it seriously and do it. Get advice from anyone who knows a thing or two about patents and make it happen.

Kyle
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       03-20-2014, 11:03 AM Reply   
I used a winch a couple of weeks ago that uses an R/C car remote to start it and control the speed. Does that violate your patent? Sorry, too lazy to go read it.
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       03-21-2014, 6:57 AM Reply   
KYLE!!!! I still cant believe that we met, with you buying a wakeskate in my garage and you ran this crazy idea past me about an electric automative winch. One that you planned to build out of a golfcart. AND fast forward 4 years and you hold the patent! Congrats man! Seriously cool!!!
Old     (kmehrkens)      Join Date: Sep 2010       03-21-2014, 11:52 AM Reply   
Hey Dave- hard to say if there are any patent infringements based on the use of a remote alone. If you can't use it to ride alone, probably not. The owner of the winch would have to be selling in order to infringe, too. Not that you're lazy, you would just rather ride!

Andy, yea man! I told you I had an idea to make one. You'll have to try it sometime! It's such a cool experience- designing, building, patenting and then enjoying the setup! I highly recommend it!

Kyle
Old     (Dawels)      Join Date: Jun 2016       06-02-2016, 4:02 AM Reply   
Hi guys

I know its been awhile since anyone has used this thread, but I really need some help!

Im planning to make a beach winch using a second hand golf cart electric dc motor. Im studying engineering and think this would be an awesome projects and challenge with many benifits.

Basically Id like to know if anyone reading this has any experience in using an electric dc motor and what power specs the motor has etc. Im not sure if the power output from a standard 2kW dc motor will be enough, however with a decent pulley system and plenty of torque this should work?

Looking for any advice!

Regards

David
Old     (kmehrkens)      Join Date: Sep 2010       07-29-2016, 10:36 PM Reply   
A lot to think about here. Been there. Check out alltrax for info on their aftermarket motors and controllers if you want to go the golf cart route. It can be done many ways, but how much do you want to spend? That's the ultimate question. Best of luck!
Old     (nautiqu13)      Join Date: Dec 2000       08-04-2016, 12:48 PM Reply   
Kyle,
are your winches for sale?
Old     (kmehrkens)      Join Date: Sep 2010       08-12-2016, 7:59 AM Reply   
Hey Derek- No, unfortunately that ship has sailed. All I can say is the electric winches are the best. No doubt. The people at Alltrax can help explain how their equipment is used in golf carts and electric vehicles, then for anyone wanting to adapt it, it can be used for winching. There are probably a bunch of other companies out there as well. They just have good documentation available online.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       08-21-2016, 9:55 AM Reply   
I'm way late to this thread. I didn't bother to read all the post's but when I say golf cart it got my attention. Let me know if you need any help or advice. I have become quite the Golf Cart, guy. I deal in Gem cars that are MUCH MUCH more powerful then a golf cart. I have adapted light weight lithium batterys and made hacks to make it all work. If a standard 48 volt golf cart works good then a 80 volt lithium Gem car motor with a High torque motor would be the bees knees. Brushless motors are also a option and as much as 40 horsepower. That thing would rip. And instant torque.!