Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (gator808)      Join Date: Jun 2014       04-17-2015, 9:16 AM Reply   
What do you guys where when surfing when it's cold? Any recommendations on brands and styles would be appreciated. Thanks
Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       04-17-2015, 2:46 PM Reply   
Dry suits are nice for exactly what they do....keep you dry but they can be a pain in the ass dealing with seals ripping. A good long wetsuit can can keep you warm as well as long as you get a thick enough one. 5/4 or 4/3 depending how cold of water you are in. I have an OS Systems Dry suit. O'neil, Rip Curl, body glove and many others make some good drysuits....same with wet.
Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       04-17-2015, 3:20 PM Reply   
I didn't like how tight around the neck drysuits were so I went with the O'Niell Boost wetsuit. I like it, keeps me pretty dry inside and warm in water down to about 50.
Old     (mo_scrilla)      Join Date: Jun 2004       04-17-2015, 4:56 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by gator808 View Post
What do you guys where when surfing when it's cold? Any recommendations on brands and styles would be appreciated. Thanks
For the money you can't beat a Bare dry suit ....you get what you pay for. Our friends were too cheap to buy the Bare dry suit and bought one from Overtons. There was no comparison. Our Bare dry suits lasted a Lot longer than the cheaper Overtons. Never had a problem .
Old     (malibu)      Join Date: Sep 2004       04-17-2015, 6:34 PM Reply   
I second the Bare Drysuit if the water is cold..35 - 55 degrees, after that I like my Xcel 3/2 infinity wetsuit. You can't beat a drysuit when the water and air temperature are really cold. You can layer underneath and with gloves, hood and booties you can surf as long as there isn't ice. When it starts to warm up I love my wetsuit. It is super stretchy and there is no zipper in the back for the water to leak in. Here is a pic of the wetsuit keeping me warm at Lake Koocanusa in Montana last September.
Attached Images

Old     (hawk22)      Join Date: Jul 2006       04-18-2015, 7:57 AM Reply   
I've been really happy with my adrenaline drysuit. Cheapest one I found and still dry as can be 4 years later. That being said, I kind of wish I had gone the wetsuit route. Too many days where the drysuit seems way overkill and can actually get really hot, but also depends on your water temp. Here in WA we get lot of rain, but winter temps are actually pretty mild really. Ideal would be to have both but if I had to do over I would've bought a good wetsuit. ...and I agree with the neck seal mentioned above...really snug on drysuit so uncomfortable, but u get used to it
Old     (phathom)      Join Date: Jun 2013       04-20-2015, 11:20 AM Reply   
I picked up a Quicksilver Synchro 4/3 wetsuit for cold weather surfing this winter. We have started going out with water temps in the low to mid 40s. I paired it with some cheap 2mm ebay booties and 2mm gloves. I am very warm, almost the point of feeling dry.
It is blind stitched and glued, almost no water in or out. It has a windblock on the core as well as fleece lining on the core. It keeps you nice and warm. It is definitely my best purchase this year. Well worth the ~$150
Old     (laruemc)      Join Date: Apr 2015       04-20-2015, 8:18 PM Reply   
Echo the above
Old     (nwrider)      Join Date: Oct 2002       04-21-2015, 1:04 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by malibu View Post
I second the Bare Drysuit if the water is cold..35 - 55 degrees, after that I like my Xcel 3/2 infinity wetsuit. You can't beat a drysuit when the water and air temperature are really cold. You can layer underneath and with gloves, hood and booties you can surf as long as there isn't ice. When it starts to warm up I love my wetsuit. It is super stretchy and there is no zipper in the back for the water to leak in. Here is a pic of the wetsuit keeping me warm at Lake Koocanusa in Montana last September.
when you guys are up in montana, give me a shout, we are going surfing tonight on whitefish, but love to ride
brett
Old     (malibu)      Join Date: Sep 2004       04-21-2015, 6:31 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwrider View Post
when you guys are up in montana, give me a shout, we are going surfing tonight on whitefish, but love to ride
brett
Hey Brett, we will definitely let you know when we are in Montana. I have wakesurfed and camped at Whitefish Lake....so jealous that you are going there tonight! It is beautiful up there. We have also wakesurfed Dicky Lake, Bull Lake and Mcgregor Lakes in Montana. Maybe we can ride this summer!
Sue