Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (stevo8290)      Join Date: Sep 2008       01-30-2016, 11:00 PM Reply   
So I'm getting my boat prepared for the 2016 season and I wanted to hear some opinions on how I could make my wake better than it already is. First off the whip is a 2009 x45 (ly6). Honestly I can say I have never met or rode on anyone else's who has it dialed as good as i do for wakeboarding. My set up is nothing special but most people who have this boat either surf or party.

My setup #1 (consist of the bags i own)

1000 stock
800 rear lockers
800 front -one on the floor the other on top
2600 total
stock prop
fuel and a few people
70ft
trim at 15 or so
23.8 mph or so

setup #2 (i run this setup when my good old college wake friends are in town and bring bags and we really wanna shred ) I'm probably going to upgrade some bags and make my regular setup close to 4000lbs

1000 stock
800 rear lockers
400 on the floor in the back
1200 front- one one on the floor with 2 bags on top
3400 total
same as before for everything but maybe 24.6 or so

The speed changes so much because we ride on rivers a lot, so upstream vs downstream makes the final decision.

Don't get me wrong, love my boat but I want to

A) ride 75 ft (which I really don't this is possible because it gets really inconstant way back there)

B) slow it down with setup #2 somehow

Few more things so I can try and paint a decent picture of where I'm at-

My usage of the trim tab varies from day to day because fuel and people and conditions just change but its always there.

Also my port side is usually the cleaner side.

What I'm considering

I think I'm about to plumb the rear lockers and I may even upgrade to 750s to keep bags off the floor in the rear. I hear plumping the front on x45s usually doesn't work out well, mainly because an emptying issue.(heard this from the service manager at tx mastercraft ft worth but maybe someone could elaborate on this more) I dont think i could get much weight under those seats anyways but I'm not sure.

Thinking about getting a new prop.

I'm just throwing some ideas against the wall but maybe someone out there has it so dialed they have kept it a secret. So thoughts WW? My machine has done me well for the last few years but I think its time to throw some upgrades at it and see what happens. Bags off the floor would be nice even though i don't see anyway to keep them hidden out of the front because this boat loves front weight. My current setups have seen lot of mobes, 7's and even a 9 or two so it not bad by any means. But I can say my wake is "weird" and takes a minute to get used to. But once you do you learn to like it. Who's got the answers?
Old     (stevo8290)      Join Date: Sep 2008       01-30-2016, 11:02 PM Reply   
here's a shot
Attached Images

Old     (carter134)      Join Date: Jun 2012       02-04-2016, 8:49 AM Reply   
a new prop will make a difference on it for sure. that would be the first thing i would change. its also really easy to plum in the back ones you just have to set it up to the over flow only take about a hour or 2 to plum them in. with a new prop you will notice more consistency on the wake further back.
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       02-04-2016, 10:13 AM Reply   
Does it look, to anyone else, like it's prop walking? You can see the super steep curliness on the port wake that doesn't exist on the starboard wake.

Usually that indicates that it's overweighted in the rear.

I would try to dump some rear weight and move it toward the center of the boat.

The last few posts here discuss prop walk's affect on boats weighted too rear heavy. http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=805442

edit: also, it's "the boat" not "the whip". don't be a douchebag.

Last edited by boardjnky4; 02-04-2016 at 10:17 AM.
Old     (migs)      Join Date: Aug 2006 Location: SF Bay Area       02-04-2016, 10:53 AM Reply   
Do you have any weight mid ship?
Old     (stevo8290)      Join Date: Sep 2008       02-05-2016, 7:35 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by boardjnky4 View Post

edit: also, it's "the boat" not "the whip". don't be a douchebag.

This aggression will not stand.... man
Old     (stevo8290)      Join Date: Sep 2008       02-05-2016, 7:39 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by carter134 View Post
a new prop will make a difference on it for sure. that would be the first thing i would change. its also really easy to plum in the back ones you just have to set it up to the over flow only take about a hour or 2 to plum them in. with a new prop you will notice more consistency on the wake further back.
Yes I agree, the question is what prop. Anyone have experience enhancing this boats wake for wakeboarding with a prop. Lots of people do it for surfing. And yes definitely plumbing the rear.
Old     (stevo8290)      Join Date: Sep 2008       02-05-2016, 7:42 AM Reply   
I have not been typically putting center weight in but maybe I'll give it a shot.
Old     (migs)      Join Date: Aug 2006 Location: SF Bay Area       02-05-2016, 11:35 AM Reply   
try moving that 400 on the floor in the back up to the walk way to the bow.
See what just that adjustment does. That should push your bow down a bit more and push that curl on the wake further back as well.
And yes a more aggressive prop would also help.
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       02-05-2016, 11:40 AM Reply   
when you say 800 rear lockers, do you mean 800 in each side or 400 in each side?
Old     (stevo8290)      Join Date: Sep 2008       02-05-2016, 3:04 PM Reply   
400 each side. they may be 450s I cant remember. But I have 4 of those bags and I have always put two in the back and two up front in the bow and that works pretty good. Thinking about getting the acme 2305 but wondering if it will be too aggressive. Then again, I like to load it down and cruising isn't really my thing.
Old     (johnny_defacto)      Join Date: Sep 2006       02-05-2016, 7:12 PM Reply   
I have very little experience with the x-45, so this may be worthless...

put your wake plate away (all the way up). Even though it is a "shaper" and not a "planer" (although shapers do act as planers, but planers do not act as shapers) it does knock down your wake differently than having more bow weight does. If you are using it for shape, then I am guessing you have to run a little bit more m.p.h. to keep it clean than if you were to not have it. I made this mistake with my first boat (tige) and have learned since. Not saying that yours is the same situation, sounds like it though.

Next, spend a day with a friend that is willing to play with the wake all day and not necessarily ride. Now, get your wake shaped the exact way you want it, or close, with your ballast configuration with no plate. This may take a lot of moving ballast around, but if you can get it clean, big, and shaped correctly with no plate, then you should be money. You can use the plate for quicker planing only, which may help you keep your current prop. You can also use the plate when pulling buddies that prefer a little flatter wake. I agree with Miguel and Tom. You will have to move a little weight forward. start with your heavy set up, Move that 400 on the floor as far forward in the mid ship/bow floor as possible. Then see how that is. If that is not enough to get a clean wake with no plate, drain a little bit (100 lbs total) from your rears a little at a time. Once you get the weight ratio dialed, from there you can start adding ballast accordingly, not forgetting that when you add a few more friends, it will be mid ship to rear weight.
Old     (stevo8290)      Join Date: Sep 2008       02-16-2016, 1:53 PM Reply   
Update:

I ordered the OJ845 (15" x 13") which I hope will help hole shot and clean up the wake further back. I will be installing it as well as plumbing the rear this weekend. If I get on the water I will play with weight configurations a little more than usual with the new prop and see what I get. Once I have a good idea what the best possible setup is I may plumb some of the front weight under the seats. I can only get 200# bags under the seats up front so its really ideal as I know at least one bag will still be up front on the floor. So my action plan is as follows:
1. install new prop and plumb rear.
2. use all the bags i have plus a few borrowed to spend a few hours tweaking weight configs
3.decide what the best setup is
4. run independent system for front and keep as much weight hidden as possible
5. Have my wake as dialed as possible for wakeboarding and ride all summer.,
Old     (downfortheride)      Join Date: Jun 2005 Location: SLC, UT 5600'       02-16-2016, 3:24 PM Reply   
Quote:
I ordered the OJ845 (15" x 13")
NICE... My new boat will come with the OJ945 which is also the 15'x13 pitch but the cup I guess is a little different. Excited to try it out since I have been using the ACME 2315 15'x12 pitch.
Good luck on getting your wake dialed, going to be a good season.