Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old                09-30-2009, 9:16 AM Reply   
Looks like I am going to give the 6v battery world a try. I currently have have 3 optimas w/ 165 amp hours.

I can put 2 6v US Battery - US 125 XC in series to create 12 volt bank with 242 amp hours. That is like having 4.5 blutops for the stereo.

Cost per US battery is $100. So I am paying 82 cents per amp hour. For the savings and additional power...I can manage to check the batt's and refill them. My situation allows me to mount the right side up - the only way you can do it with a wet battery.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       09-30-2009, 9:35 AM Reply   
Nice, keep us updated on how it works. Maybe some pics of the install as well. For the dollars it is pretty hard to beat 6V batteries. They also have the thickest plates and are the best deep cycle batteries. With regular maintanence they should last for a long time.
Old                09-30-2009, 9:59 AM Reply   
Will do.

I really like those AGM's but...for the money and anp hours....this is worth a try.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       09-30-2009, 10:34 AM Reply   
I don't blame you. My dad has most of the people in our Yacht Club switching from 8D's to golfcart batteries for their house banks.
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       09-30-2009, 11:06 AM Reply   
Mine have lasted almost 5 years in my ski boat...going strong after almost a year in the pontoon boat. Upload
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       09-30-2009, 11:06 AM Reply   
wrong one....

Upload
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       09-30-2009, 11:08 AM Reply   
the maint is very easy. the caps pop off and just fill with distilled water.
Old     (bob)      Join Date: Feb 2001       11-03-2009, 1:14 PM Reply   
You also dont need full capacity wiring from the engine to the bank as the bank it where you are storing the energy and your alternator will only put out what it is rated to??95 amps etc so from the alt to the bank you can save on that monter gauge wire, you dont need it (if your using the bank parked while parked).
Old     (johnny_jr)      Join Date: Mar 2006       11-03-2009, 2:11 PM Reply   
Bob I don't understand you post completely, but I think I disagree. wire gauge is a function of amps over distance through a certain gauge of wire. Here are a couple calculators that may help select the proper wire gauge.

1st http://www.powerstream.com/Wire_Size.htm
2nd http://www.the12volt.com/info/recwirsz.asp

Keep in mind wire gauge is application specific, different boats require different lengths of wire, plus different current draw from amps and output from alternators.

Please do not try and save money by selecting lesser gauge wire then needed for your application. It can/will cost you more in the long run. cost of 0 gauge wire per foot 1 to $3, cost of a boat catching on fire..... well that all depends on the boat, but regardless it's not cheap.
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       11-03-2009, 2:13 PM Reply   
Bob I don't understand you post completely, but I think I disagree. I didn't get it either so I just left it alone.
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       11-03-2009, 2:46 PM Reply   
It's 5 o clock somewhere, must be where bob is LOL..
Old     (rukie)      Join Date: Jan 2006       11-03-2009, 2:58 PM Reply   
Definitely beer-thirty somewhere
Old     (bob)      Join Date: Feb 2001       11-04-2009, 8:10 AM Reply   
Duh, the alternator only puts out so many amps, which while you are running are partially being consumed by the engine as well as the blower..etc, so the wiring to the bank only needs to be sized to handle that load. It does NOT need to handle 300 amps unless you are running Grants alternator setup. My system has an alternator that is rated to 95 amps so it doesnt matter if my system can draw 300 amps, I dont need to run 00 wire to my battery bank near my amps. 4 gauge is plenty. From the bank to each amp is 4 gauge so I save money...Its simple ohms law people...oh maybe that is too difficult for some to understand. Maybe you will understand this then, "so many other people on here told me I need 00 wire so that is what I'm going to do, oh yea and If I dont do what Johnny says my boat is going to catch on fire"...
Engineers dont build stuff from hearsay they figure out with formulas and science.
Someone please explain to me how an amp setup that can draw 300 amps will pull that from an alternator that is only capable of 1/3 that, thereby requiring wire 3 times what is needed? The current will come from the bank which hopefully has been charged prior to this and will be helped along by the alternator. I count 4 people who are lemmings and know nothing about ohms law.
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       11-04-2009, 8:14 AM Reply   
Bob it was your broken english and 3rd grade grammar skills in your last post that was hard to understand. Don't be a d-bag, oh sorry to late.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       11-04-2009, 8:22 AM Reply   
make sure you calculate what gauge wire you need for the full run. Meaning from the alternator, to the starter up to the batteries and back following the ground cables.
Old     (rukie)      Join Date: Jan 2006       11-04-2009, 8:38 AM Reply   
Bob- I wasn't commenting on the validity of your theories. (I'm not an electrical engineer plus I had no idea what you were trying to say). I just thought it was a pretty funny post

Murphy- Keep us updated as to how the 6v work. I have a 10 battery stereo bank (Optima Blue Tops also) that I am thinking about changing out for something more efficient.
Old     (johnny_jr)      Join Date: Mar 2006       11-04-2009, 10:08 AM Reply   
Bobo, I never told anyone what to do, I said plug your #s into the calculator according to your application and it will tell you what you should be using for wire gauge

Never said use 00 ga wire, it's an overkill for some applications, but not enough for others.

Just gave my 2 cents in regards to a question someone had about a process that if not do right can cause problems and cost money. Your first post was very difficult to understand and I thought it was easily misinterpreted
Old     (bob)      Join Date: Feb 2001       11-06-2009, 6:53 AM Reply   
Damn, did I write that. I thought I missed a couple letters but was in a rush, that was horrible}. If you extrapolate from my post above and just add the "s" the first part still makes sense.
"You also dont need full capacity wiring from the engine to the bank {,} it{s} where you are storing the energy and your alternator will only put out what it is rated to??95 amps etc"
Sorry for the misunderstanding.
Johnnyboy is right, if you do use wire that is too small it can overheat or catch fire rusulting in injusry or death.