Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Girls Who Ride

Old                08-16-2005, 12:12 PM Reply   
Please help me understand between a heelside back roll and a mexican roll? Please go in to technique diffrences...Thanks! LP
Old     (ladyboarder)      Join Date: Feb 2001       08-16-2005, 2:15 PM Reply   
Hi there, I think I can offer a little bit of explanation of the two.
Heelside progressive edge backroll: Ok, this is the typical backroll. The trick is done by continually edging harder and harder as you go up the wake. You edge up and away from the boat at the top of the wake and push your hips and chest up to the sky. You will do almost a perfect cartwheel rotation and some people will actually pull to revert then whip back at the last minute. The backroll done this way is good to know for roll to reverts or heelside mobius tricks, it is also sorta handy for learning the edge for raleys (my opinion).
Heelside mexican backroll: Same trick, just done differently. For this trick you set your edge early, then flatten off right before the wake. You initiate the roll not by your edge, but by throwing your chest down to your toes. Usually, people consider the mexican backroll to be "incorrect" because you are not edging all the way through the wake. The rotation of the mexican backroll looks more like a front flip, which is why it is often incorrectly called a frontroll, which doesn't exist. It is harder to spot the water on the mexican backroll because your chest is turned down towards your feet instead of facing the boat. The mexican backroll is a good trick to know for the roll to blind and KGB tricks. It is also generally easier to grab a mexican backroll because you are usually in a tuck position and can go for an indy grab. Most new riders that I see will throw a backroll this way because they think they have to throw the trick and do not edge properly.
Does that clear it up? Both are backrolls, but they look different and are thrown different.
Later
Tiffany
Old                08-17-2005, 10:24 AM Reply   
Tiffany, Yes explanation is very clear. When you do the mexican back row do you push off the wake like a wake to wake jump and do you rotate on the way up or down? Thanks so much! Laurie
Old     (bradenb12)      Join Date: Jul 2005       09-08-2005, 12:31 PM Reply   
I accidentally taught myself how to do a mexican back roll. You rotate on the way up. Also, another difference between the two is that you throw them opposite ways.
Old     (melanie)      Join Date: Apr 2001       09-09-2005, 9:30 AM Reply   
A cool combo trick you can do after you learn the Mexican Backroll is called a "Spicy Chicken Burrito".
First you do a surface ole' 3 then the Mexi B-roll into a cha cha cha and wha la! Dinner is served.
Have fun with that one.
Old     (caco)      Join Date: Jul 2005       09-27-2005, 2:51 PM Reply   
if you want to see what you should not do...
(please be kind with me, I know this is NOT good and now that I have seen it, I am trying to fix it... I still like the mexico roll itself, I just don't like the way I throw it !)
You can see here 2 of my ugly mexico-crash, flattening before the top of the wave as Tiffanator really described it !
http://media.putfile.com/mistySept18