Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Girls Who Ride

Old     (ashly)      Join Date: Jul 2004       10-16-2004, 9:14 AM Reply   
I never really wanted to be a ballerina or a actress like most girls, I always wanted to be a pilot, firefighter, or police officer, and still do very very much. But when I told my family they all shot me down and it seemed most of the excuses came back to the fact that I'm a girl.

I don't live with or see my mom much and I was basiclly raised in my dads snowboard and wakeboarding shop so I'm not into much femine stuff. What do you guys think about female police officers, firefighters and pilots?
Old     (Walt)      Join Date: Jan 2003       10-16-2004, 9:56 AM Reply   
Ashly,You probably weren't looking for a response from A man but I'll give it to You anyways.
If that's Your dream You owe it to Yourself to pursue it. And there is no reason why a women can't do any job that a men can.
If You don't try there is a strong possibility that You will regret it later in life.
Good luck !
Old     (ashly)      Join Date: Jul 2004       10-16-2004, 1:51 PM Reply   
thanks for answering Walt, i was lookin for a response from basiccly anyone.
Old     (nikki)      Join Date: May 2004       10-16-2004, 6:24 PM Reply   
Yea i'm going to be done with my EMT in december, might go for firefighting, might not... Im probably just going to continue school and be an emt on the side until i am a doctor. But, i think us girls can do anything we want to... The guys might give you some crap, but as long as you know that you are just as qualified as them, it doesnt matter what they think.
Old     (socalwakepunk)      Join Date: Dec 2002       10-16-2004, 8:56 PM Reply   
Go for it, Ashly! Absolutely no reason your gender should have anything to do with your desire or ability to accomplish something.

I have a 3 year old daughter, and I could only hope that she doesn't let anyone's lame reasoning stand between her and her ambitions.

Chicks that do stuff like this rock! Way more than just doing things designated as "girl" stuff. I would rather be friends with Mia Hamm, Misty May, Jessica Lynch, or Emily Copeland than Pam Anderson or Paris Hilton any day.

(Message edited by socalwakepunk on October 16, 2004)
Old     (ashly)      Join Date: Jul 2004       10-16-2004, 9:27 PM Reply   
Nice, thanks for responding guys. I thought most people were against the idea of female firefighter or police officer or pilot.
Old     (sjmedic)      Join Date: May 2004       10-16-2004, 9:49 PM Reply   
If you are interested in Fire department, there are a lot of people posting who are firefighters in Nor-Cal. I work for San Jose Fire Department, If you ever need any advice as to how to get hired...drop me a line. By the Way...Gillian Boxx works for us. Her sister played on the Olympic Soccer team...gillian is a gold medal winner on the 2000 softball team. If you would like to talk to her for some inspiration...feel free.
Old     (munky_flip)      Join Date: Sep 2004       10-16-2004, 9:50 PM Reply   
yo ashly, im in firefighting school with three girls and they are all doin great and holding their own
Old     (greatdane)      Join Date: Feb 2001       10-16-2004, 10:04 PM Reply   
Ashly, I say go for it! Absolutely!
But think twice about being a COP. It is a really tough career. My cop friends are pretty stressed while my fire/pilot friends are very happy. Actually, my buddy who is a COP recently transferred to became a paramedic because the COP work in SoCal was getting to him.
Old     (leshella)      Join Date: Feb 2004       10-17-2004, 12:08 AM Reply   
well, it is SoCal!
Old     (boarderbabe)      Join Date: Jul 2004       10-17-2004, 9:56 AM Reply   
Ashly, There are more than a million reasons for you to do what you want, and with huge dreams like that, you should. My dad is a firefighter in Colorado, and they just promoted a female to lutenit. They have something like 7 females on their department, and treat all of them with more respect than they do the males. Last night was my homecoming, so my dad came over, and when they were leaving, my dad and 2 other guys carried her out to the engine. What I'm trying to say, is Go For Your Dream, and don't let anyone try to descourage it at all! If you want to talk, my IM is BoarderBabe06.
Always
*Danielle
Old     (ashly)      Join Date: Jul 2004       10-17-2004, 6:32 PM Reply   
Nice, thanks guys for the input. Around here most women work as lawyers or tellers.
Old                10-18-2004, 2:44 PM Reply   
nicole, dont go fire....
Old     (dbjts)      Join Date: Nov 2003       10-18-2004, 3:29 PM Reply   
I’ve got to share this advert with you.

Young girl required to work under fireman no experience necessary.
Old     (ashly)      Join Date: Jul 2004       10-18-2004, 5:20 PM Reply   
lol nice dave
Old     (buzz_grande)      Join Date: Mar 2004       10-18-2004, 8:04 PM Reply   
First of all, thanks to Dave for making this section. It's about time!

Second of all, MOST of my regular "hardcore" dedicated crew are girls (sorry Mike, but I think you'll understand!). Without a doubt, they are the most dedicated, fun bunch of riders you could ask for. A couple of them now have boats, but still either come out on my boat, or invite me out on theirs. I guess I am lucky to have friends like them, but that is what they are, friends. Never underestimate that! I ride with many different people, give lessons, introduce people to boating and boarding, etc. The most fun I have is with my "Crew", and I brag about them all the time!

Ashly,

Go for your dreams! Don't EVER let the gender thing get in the way. If you want to better that the next person, or prove that you can do what you set your mind to, you can do it, male or female!

I was police officer for over 15 years, and some of the BEST officers I ever worked with were females. My former girlfriend is a Batallion Chief for a major fire department. I worked for 10 years in the medical field with female firefighters and EMT's. I NEVER separated them by gender, but by abilities. I can honestly tell you that there is no one better than the other. You prve yourself, and make your own destiny.

My girlfriend is a police Captain, and is also an EMT, looking for some EMT work to vary her skills and abilities. I would put her up against just about anyone, and watch them get smoked. Like I said, It is what YOU can do, gender not a factor.

Just my opinion, but a well-educated one.

Once again, really cool to see a girs section. Enjoy, and make the best out of it!!

Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       10-19-2004, 10:12 AM Reply   
I like women firefighters or police officers especially if you are good looking.Pull me over,I'm guilty as charged.

Jeff ~ Pam Anderson,Paris Hilton are you sure?
Old     (three6ty)      Join Date: Feb 2004       10-19-2004, 10:23 AM Reply   
Ashley,
My best women friend is a Fire Captain down here in San Diego. She is not some big ruff-n-tuff girl. She is 5'7" 120. She took all the EMT classes, Rough water rescue, hazmat, training, etc... She is very beautiful and very much a woman. go for your dreams and dont be scared away by the stereotypes of jobs. I can say one thing though dont be a pilot. They work for minimum pay and other than the take offs and landings it has to be the most boring job in the world. You would be shocked to here how much a pilot is payed especially when you start out flying turbo-props, which you will have to. $13 an hour. no kidding. My next door neighbor is a pilot and has been for 6 years now. the frist 4 years he never made over $30k a year. now that he is a captain on a Small Jet he is making better money but he still complains on how BORING it is. Next time you are sitting on a plane flying somewhere, think about wheather or not you could sit on a plane for 8 hours a day , day after day. Go with the Firefighting, form what i hear it is definatly the most exciting. And not only that there is HONOR in it. Same with the Police. good luck to you.
Old     (ashly)      Join Date: Jul 2004       10-19-2004, 2:55 PM Reply   
thanks guys, Erik, I heard that being a pilot is dead boring too. Thanks for replying guys (and girls)
Old                10-20-2004, 6:38 PM Reply   
Spent 10 years in the Marine Corps, 10 years with the Dept of Justice, and 2 with Homeland Security. I have several friends who are female police officers that are definitely not built like bruisers, but can do the job. Do whatever you want.
Old     (nikki)      Join Date: May 2004       10-21-2004, 3:16 PM Reply   
brad, I thought about becoming a paramedic/ firefighter but then i looked into how much training that would take and that would just take me away from the school i need to become a doctor, so i will just be becoming an emt while going to school... But us girls should definately follow our dreams no matter what!!!
oh- but just wondering, why did you say for me not to go fire, other than the obvious reasons i stated above?

(Message edited by nikki on October 21, 2004)
Old                10-21-2004, 4:21 PM Reply   
The job market for fire fighter in California is not stable. Department all over the state are letting them go or taking a major pay cut jut to keep the staffing. City/Government jobs back in the days were a stable job with decent pay and good retirement. The out side industries was the way to make the money. 8-10 years ago fire/police wanted the money that the outside industries had. Now the Cities can not afford them. There is more if you want?
Old     (nikki)      Join Date: May 2004       10-21-2004, 4:33 PM Reply   
brad, haha no its ok.. Sounds crappy!
Old     (ritchieps190)      Join Date: Aug 2001       11-14-2004, 12:18 AM Reply   
Brad

That's not entirely true Palo Alto fire is hiring for 11 slots right now. Maybe other cities are different.
Old     (sjmedic)      Join Date: May 2004       11-14-2004, 3:09 PM Reply   
Nice Brad. I make more as a Fire Engineer/Paramedic than I EVER did as a Hydraulics Engineer for Boeing. I work 10 days a month, and my city has just hired 24 new recruits. Where in the heck are you getting your information? The smaller the City, the higher the chance of being laid off. But that goes for any job.
NEVER let anyone tell you it can't be done.
Old     (p1emt)      Join Date: Sep 2004       11-14-2004, 6:56 PM Reply   
Palo Alot is NOT HIREING for 11 firefighter's infact they are not even testing anymore !!!!! Listen to what Howie said !!!! And trucst me about the PAFD thing !!!!!!!!!
Old                11-15-2004, 3:59 PM Reply   
Trust me I know the money is good. I am not complaining when I get my check. You think I can pay for this? I just have not seen departments in California hiring as many as there is laid off. I have 2 good friends that loss there job in two major department. Everyone’s opion is from facts that they have collected. I’m just happy that I still have my job… Every one can do what they want.

Old     (ashly)      Join Date: Jul 2004       11-16-2004, 6:54 PM Reply   
nice thanks guys
Old     (rideut)      Join Date: Jul 2001       12-02-2004, 11:28 PM Reply   
Ashly, I work as a police officer, I ride from time to time with some girls that I work with. They are fearless, fun people to ride with. Ill give you some friendly advice. "Be a fire fighter" They do very little compaired to police officers, have way more time off, get paid a lot better, dont carry guns or wear bullet proof vests and they always seem to never miss a meal. and all the fire fighters out there know this too be some what true.

You'll never be rich in the public servant field but you will always look foward to going to work.

Good luck Mike
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       12-03-2004, 7:21 AM Reply   
Ashly,
My sister is a lot like you. She started out 13 years ago as a flight attendant for AMerican Airlines. She loved it. She got to travel the world for free. She then decided that it would be better to get paid more and still get to travel as much as she wants. She started taking private pilot leasons from a friend of hers in Orange Co. Once she had her private(with instruments)she quit her job as a stuward and moved to Vero Beach Florida to go to Flight Saftey. From there she got hired by Delta and is now the captian of a medium size jet (forgot the name). So follow your dreams and don't let anyone tell you, you can't.
Old     (kainishida)      Join Date: Feb 2003       12-03-2004, 10:51 AM Reply   
Hey Ashly, I can say without a doubt rideut pretty much hits the nail on the head. I'm a firefighter in Washington and can say that I don't think there is a better job in the world. Job satisfaction, time off, good pay, role model, public approval. That isn't to say we don't work hard and earn what we get. When the bells go off and it's time to work we work. As far as women in the fire service more power to em. But don't be fooled into thinking that it will be easy by any means. Even small departments will have 500 applicants in entry level positions. The biggest handicap womenface in entering the fire service is the physical requirements. Men typically have more upper body strength than women and when testing this it shows. My suggestion to you if you are serious is this. Ask questions, study and work out specifically for the test, ride along with the departments your testing for and take as many tests as you can regardless of if you are interested in work for that city or not. Doing this allows you to see more tests (there are probably only 10 major ones in circulation) and will better prepare you when it counts. It may sound pretty demanding but the rewards are really worth the work.
Old     (ashly)      Join Date: Jul 2004       12-05-2004, 4:35 PM Reply   
sweet! thanks you guys! I'm going to look into firefighting and being a pilot
Old     (nikki)      Join Date: May 2004       12-05-2004, 5:28 PM Reply   
you know what i would think would be an awesome job, if you were interested in becoming a pilot, would be one of those pilots on the calstar or lifeflight helicopters... Just an idea, i have no clue how much they make but i know the nurses on the calstar make a good amount... But i dont know how much the pilot makes in comparison to the nurses... Just an idea.
Old     (p1emt)      Join Date: Sep 2004       12-05-2004, 8:35 PM Reply   
"RIDE UT " Did someone want to be a FIREMAN !! lol lol lol Just playing !!!! "Ashly" If you are looking into being a FF get into E.M.T. school and then become a PARAMEDIC !!! That's pretty much the only way you are going to get in the Fire Dept these day !!! <nor*cal> Anyways!!!
Old     (rideut)      Join Date: Jul 2001       12-06-2004, 9:08 AM Reply   
Kim, It seems like i say that every time some one threatens to sue me or even worse kill me when they get out of jail. Your advice is right on Ashly needs to make herself as marketable as possible in what ever feild of work she decides to go into.
Old     (p1emt)      Join Date: Sep 2004       12-07-2004, 11:58 AM Reply   
"Rideut" Hey you know I was just playing ??? !! Yeah geting your MEDIC is about the only way to go if you want to get in !!! "RIDEUT" are a cop in CA ?
Old     (rideut)      Join Date: Jul 2001       12-07-2004, 6:43 PM Reply   
Kim, I know you were just kidding . Dont get me wrong I love my job I look foward to going to work every day. I work as a city cop in the salt lake city area. I wish I worked in CA. thoes guys get paid pretty good.
Old     (p1emt)      Join Date: Sep 2004       12-07-2004, 9:36 PM Reply   
"Rideut" Yeah the city cop's out here get paid bank !! I work as a medic 4 a bay area fire dept !!!! Have to say I love my job to !!!
Old     (ritchieps190)      Join Date: Aug 2001       12-08-2004, 1:03 AM Reply   
Kim.

Are you telling me that PAFD didn't hire any of the candidates that they put throught the physical and written test's? I know they held the physical about three weeks prior to my post... so I don't know where your getting your info...
Old     (ritchieps190)      Join Date: Aug 2001       12-08-2004, 1:25 AM Reply   
Ashly,

As everyone has said, go for your dreams and all that stuff... Gender definetly doesn't have any bearing on ability....

If your interested in being a pilot, there's a lot to it. Have you flown in small planes before? You can go to your local airport and usually find an FBO that offers Introductory rides for a reasonable price. Try this out and see if it's something you'd be willing to pursue. As someone on here already mentioned, being a pilot doesn't pay well for quite awhile.... most pilots end up as instructors to gain the hours required and this typically pays very little. Once you start flying the light hardware for commercial aviation, as already mentioned, your still getting paid very little. in fact it's probably not that great of a job... think about the fact that most commercial pilots are working shifts that require them working early in the morning, or late into the evening and on weekends, and holidays... You'll definetly have to be prepared to move to where the jobs take you. One of my instructors came to CA from Embry Riddle in AZ then after a few years in CA got hired to fly turbo props on the east coast. Just getting hired currently requires that you have approximately 8,000 to 10,000 hours of flight time. Corporate pilots are even worse... some corporate positions may not be too bad, but generally corporate planes are always moving. Corportate pilots often are gone from home monday through friday and in a differnt city every night, only home long enough to prepare to do it all again the next week.

A corporate pilot once told me that if I enjoyed flying, I better stick with a good paying job that would allow me to continue flying my own plane as a leisure activity. On the flip side though, the corporate world is about to be turned on it's side... the onset of VLJ's is going to make ownership a lot more affordable for more medium size companies. Owner flown aircraft for business use is never going to be big, due to insurance in my opinion, so I think the timing is right for a significant increase in the need for corporate pilots.

At the end of the day, I hold a private pilot rating and have looked into pursuing my ATP... I'd have to say, unless you have a large budget to pursue a career in aviation, or are planning on going the airforce route, the path to becoming a pilot is probably the most difficult/longest to pursue.

My brother-in-law is a Paramedic and captain at our local volunteer fire department and has also had a long road to being a firefigher, mostly due to the CA budget cuts...

My cousin is a Police officer in San Jose, and I'd say he had the easiest path to his career... 4 years of college and straight into the academy. He did work midnights and swings for about six years though to finally have some decent days off.

I'd say you probably already know if you want to be police or fire, if so, just go for it!

(Message edited by ritchieps190 on December 08, 2004)
Old     (ritchieps190)      Join Date: Aug 2001       12-08-2004, 1:30 AM Reply   
Oh yeah on the flying note, check into "The 99's". They are a organization of female pilots and they do a lot to support women in aviation including scholarships for flight training etc.
Old     (ritchieps190)      Join Date: Aug 2001       12-08-2004, 1:45 AM Reply   
Nicole,

Your right, flying for Calstar or Lifeflight is a dream job for most... the amount of flight time required for hire is prohibitive for most people seeking employment as a professinal pilot. Calstar pilots have a minimum of 3000 hours in turbine powered helicopters prior to hire.... It's definetly not your typical professional pilot position.
Old     (p1emt)      Join Date: Sep 2004       12-08-2004, 8:35 AM Reply   
Matt, I get my info from the Dept. PAFD has not hired anyone as of now !! They are still going through the testing step's !!!! They will only be picking up 6 FF when the testing is done !!! I think i would know !!! Hey who is your cousin that work's for SJPD ? My X-hubby is a officer there ?? Anyways do you ever ride @ anderson ?

Nicole , Calstar or Lifeflight is a awesome job as a nurse if you have thought about that ! My bestfreind is a lifeflight nures !! You can do a fly along with them if you have atleast your EMT !!!!
Old     (69flyguy)      Join Date: Jan 2004       12-08-2004, 9:04 AM Reply   
Ashly-

Head out to your local airport & go for an introductory flight with a reputable instructor. If you decide to make a career out of it, check out ERAU for your degree & flight training. I went to school there. Send me an email for any other ?s...would be happy to give you more details about the flight industry.
http://www.embryriddle.edu/

-Chris
Old     (ritchieps190)      Join Date: Aug 2001       12-08-2004, 2:08 PM Reply   
-Chris,

Do you really feel that Embry Riddle is worth it? I know several Embry Riddle grads that are instructors at our airport just like everyone else.... There's no doubt that they know the FAR's inside and out, but it doesn't necesarily make them good instructors, and most of them have big ego/attitude... In point of fact, one in particular, was a CFII, and had never been in actual conditions until giving instruction here in Watsonville, CA.
Old     (rideut)      Join Date: Jul 2001       12-08-2004, 9:14 PM Reply   
Kim, Do you work on an engine or a ambulance? Ive flown on our Airmed "or what we commonly call Airdead" Thoes pilots are amazing. I personaly landed them in places most people wouldn't be able to park there car.

Matt, I prefer to work nights and weekends thats when all the fun goes down. Then again I dont have a family to worry about neglecting when im on that rotation.
Old     (ritchieps190)      Join Date: Aug 2001       12-08-2004, 10:27 PM Reply   
Rideut,

Believe me I know... My brother-in-law is a paramedic and volunteer firefighter and he assists their landings at the park that is less than a mile from my house all the time to transport organ donors that ride their motorcycles on/off our treacherous mountain roads. The landing site is a little bigger than a soccer field and it sits in a canyon... You guys have big balls to do that job... I'd do it if I didn't have a hang up with the sight of blood and peoples brains hanging out and such.
Old     (p1emt)      Join Date: Sep 2004       12-09-2004, 10:50 AM Reply   
"Rideut" I work on the ambulance !!!Yeah the birds land in some crazy a&& places !!! But talk about a rush !!!
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       12-09-2004, 1:55 PM Reply   
Just a thought, but I'd say being a helicopter pilot would be a lot more interesting, plus they generally make more money and if you play your cards right you could end up being the person flying for photographers/videographers.

On the flip side.... If I were to make another career choice I'd be a firefighter. It's the last valiant profession. Everyone loves firefighters and for the most part the job sounds pretty good. I just don't know if I'd want to be the first one at car accidents and such. By the way, one of my best friends fiancee is training to be a firefighter. She is tall, skinny and beautiful, but shes tough and its what she wants to do.

Just my thoughts. Good luck.
Old     (ritchieps190)      Join Date: Aug 2001       12-09-2004, 5:09 PM Reply   
A guy I went to highschool with flys one of the bay area traffic helicopters. Flying helicopters pays a lot more to entice people to pursue it.. there are of course far fewer jobs flying helecopters than fixed wing. In addition it's so expensive to fly helicopters that most people who want to fly them, get their fixed wing rating first and then transition into helicopters, so they need much less time with an instructor. Even the cheapest helicopters are twice as expensive as your average fixed wing trainer.

Ashly, Another thing to think about, is that there are tons of jobs that involve flying in the aviation industry without flying for the airlines... Especially in remote places like Canada and Alaska...
Old                12-15-2004, 4:02 PM Reply   
Hi Ashly,
I'm now finishing my training as a comercial pilot and I can tell you that it is so much fun and there's always something new, isn't boring at all. Actualy it's one of my to favorite thing in life, Piloting and Wakeboarding. I can tell you, we need girls because there's not much of them but those how are into it are juste as good as men.
Old     (ashly)      Join Date: Jul 2004       12-15-2004, 7:27 PM Reply   
lol Canada is not that remote Matt, unless you go north far north
Old     (ritchieps190)      Join Date: Aug 2001       12-19-2004, 10:16 PM Reply   
Ashly... LOL.. I didn't mean to generalize the whole of Canada as remote... but there are some remote spots right where hunters and fishermen like to go right?

Old     (ashly)      Join Date: Jul 2004       12-22-2004, 1:51 PM Reply   
yeah you basically get in your car drive whichever way for about a hour and you'll hit either fields, forest or a lake
Old     (nikki)      Join Date: May 2004       12-23-2004, 4:29 PM Reply   
kim, ive been in one of the helicopters, i think it was calstar, im not really sure but it was so cool!! i didnt know they took riders though, i am definately going to have to check into that! Im not sure how comfortable it would be sittin in there all day, but im definately going to have to check it out, that would be awesome! Thanks for the info!
Old     (p1emt)      Join Date: Sep 2004       01-02-2005, 7:50 PM Reply   
Nicole ,Hey you don't have to be in the bird all day ! They are based out of the hospital and the have a litlle station for them to chill out if they are not on a call !! You should check it out it .. It is a rush
Old     (nikki)      Join Date: May 2004       01-03-2005, 8:40 AM Reply   
Kim, do you know a contact number in the sacramento area by any chance? I was looking online but i cant seem to find one for lifeflight.
Old                01-10-2005, 9:07 PM Reply   
does anyone know where to find info on or how to get started in being a lifeflight pilot. i am finishing surgery tech school and i kind of wanted to be a lifeflight helicopter know.
and one more thing fire fighting crossed my mind too just wondering if it is good job to get started in in california
Old     (p1emt)      Join Date: Sep 2004       01-11-2005, 8:34 AM Reply   
Hey Nikki I am not sure about that area ! check on cal sat i think they might be out there !!
Old     (solo)      Join Date: Oct 2001       01-12-2005, 1:23 PM Reply   
Can we see some pictures of you guys in uniform? Nothing sexier than a woman in uniform!
Old     (nikki)      Join Date: May 2004       01-13-2005, 11:54 AM Reply   
kyle, for calstar they want you to be an RN with a minimum of 5 years in critical care or emergency experience. go to www.calstar.org ummm but thats normally what they want as far as flight nurses go. Some helicopters want paramedics, but i think the bigger names want flight nurses. go to google and im sure you can find anything you want. Hope this helped!
Old     (stephwhit)      Join Date: Jan 2005       01-26-2005, 11:17 AM Reply   
Hi, I'm new..
As far as the police thing..go for it..I'm a chic cop and love it....
We need more officers that are doing it for the right reason..
Holler at me if you have any questions...
airolson14@hotmail.com
Old                02-01-2005, 9:11 AM Reply   
Being a Bonaza pilot myself, I think everyone should at least take an introductory flight lesson. That's probably all you'll need to get hooked. :-)

As far as girl firefighters go, I don't care if you're Shrek... If you can drag my ass out of a burning building, you're qualified!

Old     (ritchieps190)      Join Date: Aug 2001       02-09-2005, 11:00 PM Reply   
Chris,

Which model Bonanza do you fly? The "Dr. Killer" model or the "I own this airport and the airspace around it" model? Just kidding and jealous of course.
Old    stoked27            02-11-2005, 1:35 PM Reply   
I'm taking private pilot lessons right now, going for my VFR. I plan on transfering to Embry-Riddle, but as someone said earlier in this post, aviation is very expensive, and doesn't pay too well to start off with. I'm interested in the Air Force, and I've been finding out that there are so many more female pilots than I thought. Also, check out the Coast Guard, they have quite a few careers that seem like your type. Good luck with whatever you do.
Old     (ritchieps190)      Join Date: Aug 2001       02-12-2005, 9:32 AM Reply   
Evan,

Your actually earning your single-engine land rating, which allows you to operate in VMC under VFR. I know what you are saying, but just teasing you a little bit because I believe this is the kind of detail you will be required to learn as an Embry-Riddle student.

Earning your ticket is very rewarding! Good luck in your pursuit!

(Message edited by ritchieps190 on February 12, 2005)
Old    stoked27            02-13-2005, 10:14 AM Reply   
Whatever man, that's why I'm in the process of learning. If everyone knew everything to start off with there wouldn't be any need for schools would there? No one knows any better unless they're taught right...right? I know you can't earn Visual Flight Rules/Regulations, it's the private pilot's license that you acquire, which keeps you in VFR conditions only. I don't know what VMC means, but I said that I was going for my VFR thinking that people were so technical about it.
Old     (ritchieps190)      Join Date: Aug 2001       02-13-2005, 11:08 AM Reply   
Evan,

Let me back up.... I think it's fantastic you are pursuing your ticket. I just want to encourage to you pay extra attention to the details. It will help you at Embry-Riddle. The few E-R instructors I have come in contact with are extremely meticulous and can recite from memory the FAR's pertaining to private pilot ratings verbatim(only a slight exageration).

VMC = Visual Meteorological Conditions

Find a local junior college that offers an aeronautics ground school and take the course. It will help you with all the book learning required.

Again, good luck and enjoy!!!
Old    stoked27            02-13-2005, 11:17 AM Reply   
I re-read my last post, I didn't mean to sound like a dick in it. I don't want you to think that I don't appreciate the help, cause I do. I'm actually taking lessons from someone who graduated from Embry-Riddle. I know that you don't get your VFR, but that you get your private pilots license allowing you to operate in VFR, I am just slack when it comes to posting on message boards. I don't like to bother typing more if I can get my point across with less. And that's not the attitude I take with everything, just when it comes to things like typing about flying, on a wakeboard discussion board. I'm not trying to accomplish to much, so I don't put 100% effort into it. Thanks for the info on the VMC, I never knew that. Kinda sucks too that none of my junior colleges around here offer any aeronautics courses that will transfer, with the exception of one Single-Engine Mechanics course (which the credit still wouldn't transfer). I still plan to take it in the summer.
Old     (ashly)      Join Date: Jul 2004       02-24-2005, 7:39 PM Reply   
thanks guys and girls you're all rad. keep it up
Old     (Walt)      Join Date: Jan 2003       02-24-2005, 7:54 PM Reply   
Wow this thread has been going for a long time now.
Old     (ashly)      Join Date: Jul 2004       03-11-2005, 7:57 PM Reply   
lol yeah walt I didnt even notice
Old     (ponyh8r)      Join Date: Dec 2004       04-08-2005, 8:55 PM Reply   
Here is a picture of my wife strapping into an F-16. She kicks all kinds of arse.

Old     (ashly)      Join Date: Jul 2004       04-10-2005, 4:23 PM Reply   
That's so wicked!!!!!! howd she get into flying those??
Old                08-29-2005, 9:51 PM Reply   
girl do what you want to do! When your older and looking back on life you want to remember the "I DID'S" not the "I DID'NTS"!!! Their will always be people who are going to shoot you down, no matter what you want to do, so f**ck em' if they are gonna be haters-- whats your cause you know?
Old     (redv215)      Join Date: Mar 2005       08-31-2005, 2:56 PM Reply   

I work for Calstar. I have to say I have the coolest job. Calstar nurses do not make as much as a nurse in the hospital but we don't care because we get to do much more fun things to patients. Our pilots are the best. I never feel out of control and flying is just a great high. Our pilots can put a helicopter in places you never knew a aircraft could go. In can honestly say that this job is the first one that I love going to work, I smile the whole way to the base. I don't know what else I would want do now. It would be hard to ever change and go back to doing a job that is not as rewarding as this. If anyone as any questions about being a Flight nurse or a pilot for Calstar, or in general, I would be happy to answer any question I can. Feel free to e-mail me directly.

Ashly-I would try them all out that you can and do what makes you happy. Don't worry about others think.

Nikki-We met @ CIE's Spring Ride if you remember.
Old     (nikki)      Join Date: May 2004       08-31-2005, 9:26 PM Reply   
Tate: Hey, yes we did! I forgot to follow up on it, i've been really busy... But i would love to do a ride-a-long sometime if the offer still stands. I am now into paramedic school and even though i know i won't be able to do anything atleast i will be able to maybe see some of the stuff i'm learning in real life... Let me know!
Old     (girlwhoboards)      Join Date: Aug 2003       09-09-2005, 3:23 PM Reply   
i'm a front lines kind of girl as i love adrenaline. i thought about joining the military after 911 but i decided i'd make a much better warrior than soldier...meaning i will protect the homeland when it comes down to all out chaos but structure and commitment scares me to death. so i volunteered at my local uso and got to meet some really rad pilots and other female soldiers...oh how i love jets...and so for anyone that does these things or wants to...YOU ROCK & YES PLEASE GO FOR IT!!! with the current state of affairs after the hurricane i've decided to looking into volunteer firefighting, search & rescue or the likes. i could start with the redcross but i want to be on the leading edge not making beds :-). so big props to all girls that take the path less choosen by most females...we need more role models like you for girls like us :-).
Old                09-20-2005, 12:12 AM Reply   
just like kainishida said the is no better job in the world then being a firefighter. that being said it's not just a job where you can just sign up and have a job, it is vary competative to even get a job (a few weeks ago i took the OC test and there were over 20,000 people testing for a few dozen jobs)and if you are not dedicated to it you wont last long. i can't count the number of people i know that have taken dozens of entry test and just decided that it wasn't worth the work and gave up (they were wrong because it is). the reason im telling you this is because it doesnt sound like you are real serious about being a firefighter and if that is the case your never going to get a job. now heres the thing with female firefighters, do i believe ethat they can do the job YES, yes i do think that they can do all the work that is required to be a firefighter. BUT heres the thing women in general are not nearly as stong as men, we have a guy on our Dept. that is 6'-7" and 280lbs, my question to you is do you think that if something went wrong and you had to pull him out of a building could you? i can bearly move him and im a fairly big guy so im guessing the answer is no. if the answer is yes then go for it, be a firefighter, but honestly think about weather you think you have the physical ability to do the job. i dont want you to get the wrong idea about what i am saying though, im all for women being firefighter if they can do the job.

with that being said, go for your dreams if you really want to be a firefighter go for it. you will not regrete it.

(Message edited by np_wake on September 20, 2005)
Old     (girlwhoboards)      Join Date: Aug 2003       09-20-2005, 10:24 AM Reply   
i think i'm going to work on care packages for those deployed in the military and maybe search and rescue along with my red cross training. i know i can do a lot when my adrenaline is tapped and i'm in fairly good shape but it's true i'm not as strong as some.
-Kim