Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (worththewake)      Join Date: Nov 2006       09-27-2010, 2:41 PM Reply   
So I'm trying to sell my old Iphone and I get this response from a "Doctor" of all people

Thanks for your quick response to my mail.
Alright, am OK with the Price onthe ad. I want to purchase it for my son who is in Over seas for his job with the construction company over there.
And i will be paying you through PayPal or money order Company.
So if you have an account with them send your PayPal address to enable me send the Payment to you but if you do not have an account with them, just send me your full name and full contact address and i will send it through money order Company that will deliver the payment in cash to your resident address....Note: I will be paying you extra money to cover the shipping cost through USPS EXPRESS MAIL.
Also i wanted you to consider this sold to me and please remove the post from the craigslist site.
Thank you and God Bless
Dr Carlos Mark frm (West Valley Utah )

Sent from my i phone

Do you guys think this is real?
Old     (magic)      Join Date: Mar 2002       09-27-2010, 2:48 PM Reply   
Makes me think I should open my own online business offering editing/editorial services for people like that. What do think my chances of getting paid are? Or should I enter into a revenue sharing model with them?
Old     (worththewake)      Join Date: Nov 2006       09-27-2010, 2:57 PM Reply   
Sean, I'm sure the amount of profit from a revenue sharing model with easily double what you would receive in your paypal account from an editing services for these idiots

Chris
Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       09-27-2010, 3:26 PM Reply   
If my doctor talked like that I would stop going to him.
Old     (worththewake)      Join Date: Nov 2006       09-27-2010, 3:33 PM Reply   
very true dave but I'm sure his broken English is probably better then some of our doctors....
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       09-27-2010, 3:50 PM Reply   
If you get the payment through Paypal and mail it to him in the US, why not? Still sounds fishy.
Old     (sinkoumn)      Join Date: Jan 2007       09-27-2010, 6:40 PM Reply   
If you have never made a sale like this, or have never heard of ANYONE selling a boat/computer/expensive item like this - IT'S NOT LEGIT.

Otherwise, tell him you cannot ship until the money has been posted in your account just to cover your rear.

Last edited by sinkoumn; 09-27-2010 at 6:47 PM.
Old    ScottRobinson            09-28-2010, 7:27 AM Reply   
100% BullCrap!

I got the EXACT same message when I was selling a wakeboard. EXACT SAME! Do not fall for this EVEN IF they send you the money. They sent me the money via a check I put it in my bank and it LOOKED like it cleared only to find out 2 days later it really didn't. Takes time for all the banks to make sure. So LUCKILY I was skeptical and didn't send the wake board. They also sent me MORE money than what was agreed on and asked me to send them a money gram back.

I didn't do any of this and I am Thankful. I told him to call me. He actually DID call and couldn't speak ENGLISH hardly at all. I told him he was a fake and I was turning him in, and at that point he HUNG UP ON ME! so.... Don't fall for this stuff. Never heard from him again but I almost fell for it....They get people all the time.... just not worth it.
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       09-28-2010, 9:11 AM Reply   
Never deposit anything in your bank account. A USPS money order can be cashed at the post office.
Old     (benbuchholz)      Join Date: Oct 2009       09-28-2010, 10:14 AM Reply   
100% fake. If it seems fishy, its because it is. My personal rule is only deal in person on craigslist, unless its paypal and you can talk to the person on the phone. never give an address or anything like that for a "shipping quote" or "to send paypal. All you need for paypal to send money is a valid email account. Any time they ask for your physical address, its so that they can get info for id theft. Usually they say they can't talk on the phone due to business. So they can't pick up a phone but they can browse random cites on Craigslist? Fishy. Their strategy is always to pay right away and often offer more money, because a.) People are eager to sell their item and b.) More money, who wouldnt want that?
Old     (tings00)      Join Date: Aug 2005       10-05-2010, 9:09 PM Reply   
I live 15 minutes from west valley utah, find out his address and i will go visit him for ya.
Old     (chris4x4gill2)      Join Date: Sep 2009       10-06-2010, 5:29 AM Reply   
Like John said, Get a USPS Money Order. They can buy and send them from any post office and you can cash it at yours (and walk out with the cash) IF they wont agree to that, its a scam.
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       10-06-2010, 6:04 AM Reply   
People who can't tell this is fake or are shocked to get messages like this should not use craigslist.
Old     (slipknot)      Join Date: Aug 2001       10-06-2010, 8:40 AM Reply   
scam
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       10-06-2010, 9:01 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawndoggy View Post
People who can't tell this is fake or are shocked to get messages like this should not use craigslist.
Not saying it isn't a scam, but I sell a lot of stuff on CL and this isn't the typical scam I see. The scams I get don't offer to use PayPal and they don't ask for USPS shipping. If he wants USPS shipping and is willing to pay with a USPS money order (best) or paypal, then how are you getting scamed?
Old     (iridelow1998)      Join Date: Jun 2006       10-06-2010, 1:12 PM Reply   
From now on everyone on wakeworld should just announce in bold type that they are being sarcastic. It seems that nothing that people type including winky faces are understood as sarcasm. Look at the guys last sentence people. He asked if we think it's real followed by a This means that he knows it is a scam folks. I'm 99.9% certain that this post is for entertainment and he's not asking a serious question.
Old     (worththewake)      Join Date: Nov 2006       10-06-2010, 6:35 PM Reply   
Nick
I'M BEING SARCASTIC! DO YOU UNDERSTAND!
I sold the phone to him and he paid me close to $25,000.....
Chris
Old     (iridelow1998)      Join Date: Jun 2006       10-07-2010, 9:52 PM Reply   
My bad, I guess I should have typed my last response in bold! Cut me in on the 25k.
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       10-08-2010, 9:46 AM Reply   
OK, I get it now. When someone makes a post of sarcastic humor the only appropriate response is LOL.
Old     (worththewake)      Join Date: Nov 2006       10-08-2010, 6:05 PM Reply   
Nick B, I will send you the money via paypal! how much do you want, 30k? John, humor is the only response to sarcasm....