Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (cdanative)      Join Date: Jul 2015       04-26-2016, 8:23 PM Reply   
I'm 6'8" and 260 lb and just can't seem to get the board to surf without pull from the rope. I'm in the market for a good board that is fast enough to let me surf. What are some fast options? Both skim style and surf style.
Old     (dyost)      Join Date: Jan 2007       04-27-2016, 3:49 AM Reply   
Probably don't need to go crazy big. Could be technique or wake also. Last summer I was able to surf a 5.0 board behind my 89 Supra Sunsport (so not a huge surf wake). I am 6'4" 230 and surfed with my 35lb 4yo daughter.
Old     (h20king)      Join Date: Dec 2009       04-27-2016, 4:47 AM Reply   
Soulcraft Honu get intouch with Jeff tell him your size and let him work his magic
Old     (MICAH_HARPER)      Join Date: Apr 2010       04-28-2016, 5:51 AM Reply   
PM Sent
Old     (jordanbd98)      Join Date: Apr 2016       04-28-2016, 8:11 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdanative View Post
I'm 6'8" and 260 lb and just can't seem to get the board to surf without pull from the rope. I'm in the market for a good board that is fast enough to let me surf. What are some fast options? Both skim style and surf style.
You can do this through Inland Surfer. They have have a board finder test you can take http://www.inlandsurfer.com/board-finder/ Hope this helps best of luck!!!

Last edited by jordanbd98; 04-28-2016 at 8:11 AM. Reason: misspelled
Old     (Chaos)      Join Date: Apr 2010       04-28-2016, 8:47 AM Reply   
CDA Native. You want to go with the Chaos Ringer XL. It really doesn't get faster or better.

Nick
Old     (cdanative)      Join Date: Jul 2015       04-28-2016, 9:56 AM Reply   
Thanks for the advice guys. Ending up finding a deal on a Inland Surfer Red Rocket and will give that a go. Supposed to be good for us over-height-challenged.
Old     (mo_scrilla)      Join Date: Jun 2004       04-28-2016, 11:59 AM Reply   
I ride a Inland Surfer Blue lake ...it's 5'4". I am 6' 225 ....Foot placement is critical...takes a little while to dial in.
Old     (Davewfo)      Join Date: Apr 2013       04-28-2016, 12:05 PM Reply   
I bought a Soulcraft Soul Slider it's a super fun board and great for bigger guys. I am 6'1 and 240 and it's one of the best boards i have ridden and it's easy to ride. I use to have a Red Rocket which is a great board, but ended up selling it and bought a soulcraft and had created custom graphics as seen below. My other board is a soul craft fangtail which is alot more aggressive.

http://www.soulcraftboarding.com/boards.html

Soul Slider

This board should be named “Pure Fun” because that’s all it is. A wide thumb shaped longboard nose, straight tucked rounded rails to a hard edge diamond tail. With a slight bottom nose concave to a deep single V tail this board is fast and very forgiving. This board will recover from spots of the wake that are almost impossible to get back from. Comes as a 5 fin set up that is supposed to be played with from a single fin to twin fin to a twinzer setup. Move the fins around to get the most enjoyment for your surfing style. Meant for nose riding and just “Pure Fun” surfing.
5' 4" - 22" - 2.50" up to 350 lbs. Beginner to Advanced
Attached Images

Old     (Lakeface)      Join Date: Apr 2016       04-28-2016, 12:45 PM Reply   
I'll put a vote in for the Chaos Ringer as well, it's a super fast board for its size and you can spin and air it no problem. Great board.
Old     (nashvegas)      Join Date: Aug 2015       05-08-2016, 7:38 AM Reply   
I'm 270 and can 360 a trident. It's a fast board.
Old     (TNwakeboarder86)      Join Date: Sep 2016       11-30-2016, 11:34 AM Reply   
I hope all you guys saying big boy ,you are true big boys. I took advice on big boys, and I hate my surf board. The phase 5 kong, was terrible investment. Being ex college ball player being over 300, the board was terrible. To me a big boy is someone over 275 not what most people are saying 225. I cant believe I wasted 650$ on that board, best part is they said they would send me a new turf pad, bc it was floating off, and they never did. I WILL NEVER DEAL WITH PHASE 5, I have already told all my buddies not to buy them.

The only board I had success on is a true surf board I had from back home. Now I bought my first boat, so I will try to dial it in to help me. Instead of riding with others, I know its not a true surf boat but I will get it dialed in! I plan my next surf board after I save a little to be a customer, maybe by lakewakes. Need to focus on the boat first now that I am an owner!
Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       12-02-2016, 9:17 AM Reply   
I mentioned this on the Malibucrew but figured I would say it here too.

The recommended weight ranges for boards correspond with the wakes being put out. So as stock wakes have been getting better and better over the years, the boards being made have reflected that. A stock wake (with factory plug and play) and the factory surf system on any of the 2015 to present wakeboats puts out a wake that in 2010 wouldn't even be seen at pro competitions when people were "dangerously" over-weighting and listing their boats.

Weight ranges are put on boards so that the board performs optimally and how the shaper intended. They are of course recommendations, but if a board is too big you loose a lot of response and if it is too small you will struggle to keep it going without a lot more effort. In order to make a weight recommendation there must be a baseline for a standard wave would be. That baseline is current production boats.

So if you have an older boat you will need to take that into consideration when looking at weight ranges.

Another factor is that some boards get their speed by shifting weight forward and some get their speed by pumping.
Old     (Chaos)      Join Date: Apr 2010       12-02-2016, 1:28 PM Reply   
Nathan.

You should just get yourself a Ringer XXL. I originally put this board together for some Georgia lineman. It is available in Tennessee Orange.

http://chaossurfco.com/wakesurfboards/chaos-ringer-xl

Board weight recommendations for most companies, and specifically wakesurf companies are not really accurate or scientific. They are based largely on scaling. Modern shaping programs allow shapers to have really accurate understanding of volume, but this is only one factor. For surf companies, a board is often recommended based on skill level, beginner, intermediate, and advanced or pro. A Pro will ride a board with really tight tolerance and exacting volume. Where as for a beginner it would be recommended that a board with much greater be ridden. The next factor of importance is the wave, much like Mitch indicated. If you are riding small waves you want more volume than you might use otherwise, this translates right over to behind the boat with each boat producing a different wave, some steep, some not, some with long pockets and lots of push, others with short pockets and little push and all things inbetween.

Nick
Old     (dougr)      Join Date: Dec 2009       12-03-2016, 2:10 AM Reply   
What boat? there are major differences from a big wave with lots of push to little push. i would start with the wave then compare it to other boats well knows for lots of push then pick a board.
Old     (bdwb)      Join Date: Nov 2014       12-04-2016, 10:50 AM Reply   
I have a inland surfer Red Rocket - u will see this as a favorite for big guys - if u can't ride this it is your technique. I am looking for another board that is better for tricks so will be reviewing some of the options above, but u need to get some time on the board before you consider tricks.... U can't go wrong with the red rocket. -take it from another big guy
Old     (SoundEncounters)      Join Date: Oct 2015       12-06-2016, 11:22 AM Reply   
Another nod for the Inland Surfer Red Rocket.... I am about 230 lbs and struggled with a few boards to learn on, bought one and went rope less first day! Used it to learn on and now I can ride boards rated for far less.

I have taught many of my friends over 225 lbs on the Rocket, right at the end of the season had someone 270 up and surfing no problem. Great boards for beginners! Only issue is its so big to fit, I think this year I am selling it just for lack of room with all the new boards I now carry.
Old     (all2matt)      Join Date: Apr 2015       12-20-2016, 10:45 AM Reply   
I'm in the 6-4 265 range, I ride both the phase 5 trident and chaos pro. Both work well for what they do, a lot of it as technique and wake. Tige z1 and now a 14 G23 have worked well for the trident.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7MzTiwivsWY