Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       03-04-2012, 7:51 PM Reply   
Anybody ridden this board yet? I am looking around for a new cable board and this one looks to be a good fit. I love the way my 2009 Recoil slides at the park but the landings are super hard and it's really loose finless. The channels in the Whip make me think it would land a bit better plus hold a litter better without fins than my Recoil.

Thoughts?
Old     (TheHebrewHammer)      Join Date: Jun 2011       03-04-2012, 7:58 PM Reply   
I'd like to know this too. Nobody I know has even seen one yet. It certainly seems to be hard to get a hold of for now.
Old     (skiboarder)      Join Date: Oct 2006       03-05-2012, 8:01 AM Reply   
I have not ridden this board, but I have handled one. The channels are really more like molded fins and it is very stiff. It is an interesting shape I would like to try behind a boat.
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       03-05-2012, 7:35 PM Reply   
It's amazing! Tracks solid, fast, love landing on it, stiffer for flex but still flexes just right for rails. The board is so tech I feel like I learn more and more about it every ride.
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       03-06-2012, 12:25 PM Reply   
Thanks guys.

A-dub - So it lands fairly soft? Have you ridden a Recoil and if so how would you compare it? Thanks!
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       03-06-2012, 2:12 PM Reply   
Not sure compared to the Recoil, but it seems to land pretty soft, and definitely tracks fast and controlled right on landing. Haven't had much time on it, but so far the bigger I go the more impressed with the landing I am.
Old     (BTV)      Join Date: Jul 2010       04-09-2012, 3:46 PM Reply   
Any updates on the Whip?

I rode a 2011 Newton this past weekend on the cable. Really liked it, but I ride boat mostly (no cable where I live).

Suggestions for flex board for boat? Coming off a 2011 Viva. Just want to try flex and want something a little looser than Viva.

Thanks
Old     (Dj2up10)      Join Date: Aug 2010       04-10-2012, 6:03 AM Reply   
I'm convinced we need an ongoing slingshot help forum.

Being one of the many that have asked similar questions, I think the biggest issue for us that want to switch to flex is the worry that it just won't be flexie enough, but also not like a wet noodle.

It seems like the whip and the Lyman would fall into the category of almost being too stiff. Whats the word?
Old     (hunter660)      Join Date: Aug 2007       04-10-2012, 4:37 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dj2up10 View Post
I'm convinced we need an ongoing slingshot help forum.
I would love to see a thread for this. I can start one if that's ok, but I have more questions than answers.
Old     (Dj2up10)      Join Date: Aug 2010       04-10-2012, 8:39 PM Reply   
The paradox for me is that I've ridden an 09 slingshot, which was too soft, but was the same board that got me hooked. I ollied in the flats and it put a smile on my face, but when I started doing some basic inverts-like rolls, I quickly noticed how much I needed to mellow my edge because of how much the flex was kicking me around. I had a short set on last years response but not enough to see if I wanted more edge control...like from maybe the newton. So, I think the issue for many is simply needing water time in a demo setting.

Go for it with a thread on it because It seems as though many are sold on the brand....I know I am....but want to make the right purchase this spring.
Old     (logan)      Join Date: Dec 2011       04-10-2012, 9:08 PM Reply   
The ballistic line has some of the sickest decks you will ever ride. The Hooke is super sick. Slingshot stiffened up the entire line up the get more boost off the wake but the way the boards are designed you still get very soft landings, which is why I love my Lyman. I also have an 09 Recoil which I love riding but sometimes it is too flexy for me. It depends on what I'm looking to do, I will say that e recoil made wakeboardingfun again but the Lyman has me focused on going big.
Old     (trio)      Join Date: Jan 2010       04-11-2012, 12:31 PM Reply   
I have an older SS Response 145 that I ride only on cable. I tired it behind the boat but it was way to soft. It was super fast but felt like a limp noodle when hitting the wake. At the cable it is really fun on rails but doesn't seem to loan and pop as good as a stiff board for air tricks. It looses some edge.

I decided I wanted something a little stiffer with some bottom features to hopefully get the best of both worlds. Something that will wrap around rails and flex into kickers but also will load and pop in the corners. So I ordered a Whip 143. It should be here this week.

I am going to try it behind the boat this weekend and then for a week long cable trip to TX. I will give some feedback once I have some time on the board.

My personal preference on a few boards:
I have the SS 145 Response for cable and really like it on rails.
I ride the current shape HL Murray as my main boat board and LOVE it.
I have ridden the Lyman behind the boat and hated it.
I have also ridden the new SS 145 Reflex at the cable and liked it a lot.
Old     (Javi)      Join Date: Aug 2016       06-07-2021, 4:54 PM Reply   
I know this is an old post. But I have a friend offering me a 2013 Slingshot whip To use behind the boat. I would not use it for cable because it has the deep squared channels that look like fins but has anyone tried and liked that board for use behind the boat?
Old     (Javi)      Join Date: Aug 2016       06-10-2021, 6:18 PM Reply   
I will respond to myself in case someone runs into this thread and is curious. I had a chance to try the board both behind the boat and at the cable just to try air tricks and get a feel for it and I was really impressed! Lots of loading and pop is available with that board. I also tried a Native and really liked it as well. Liked it more than the Solo. Actually liked both the native and the old whip more than the solo.
Old     (flatwater_rob)      Join Date: Oct 2018 Location: Detroit Send a message via ICQ to flatwater_rob       07-08-2022, 12:55 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
I will respond to myself in case someone runs into this thread and is curious. I had a chance to try the board both behind the boat and at the cable just to try air tricks and get a feel for it and I was really impressed! Lots of loading and pop is available with that board. I also tried a Native and really liked it as well. Liked it more than the Solo. Actually liked both the native and the old whip more than the solo.
@Javi - Thanks for the post. I found it insightful and loved your comparisons.

I have both the Solo 142 and the Native 144 and ride both behind a boat. Both are fun for different reasons. I owned Solo first and it feels more stable to me. The flat profile and the 8" of flat under the feet makes it feel stable. It's actually a really fun board and throws 3s and 5s so easily. The Native feels like a bigger board because it's 3/4" wider underfoot. The Native is fun because of it's rocker. The rocker makes for easy tail butters and super high ollies. I can see why people love this ride. I can't wait to ride the Native in the park and see how it presses on flat boxes and see how it lands off kickers

Last edited by flatwater_rob; 07-08-2022 at 12:57 PM. Reason: wanted to make an addition