Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through April 17, 2008

Old     (watersnake)      Join Date: Jul 2006       04-01-2008, 12:56 PM Reply   
Latley when I get home from riding, I get all stuffed up and later in the night/next morning, I get some drainage. Anyone else deal with this, or do I panic once I bail, and breath in through my nose?
Old     (dppaneig)      Join Date: Feb 2008       04-01-2008, 1:32 PM Reply   
I deal with that every time I go to our local lake. It is fed by canals which farmers use to irrigate their crops. Whenever I am at Lake Powell, I never get stuffed up at night. I will probably die from some type of weird cancer or something because of the exposure to their pesticides.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       04-01-2008, 1:38 PM Reply   
i've heard of it later in the season, when the water surface temp can be a lot higher. It can make ya sick actually. a little odd that it's all the time.

Is this when you ride the same lake? or all the time.
Old     (dizzyj)      Join Date: Jul 2003       04-01-2008, 1:47 PM Reply   
I get lake nose on the rivers around here, and my wife gets it every time she goes out. Shes going to start riding in noseplugs.
Old     (dppaneig)      Join Date: Feb 2008       04-01-2008, 1:48 PM Reply   
I have actually wanted to take a water sample down to the college to have it tested. Right now our canals aren't running so I don't have to deal with it. They will be opening them this week so the water will get dirty. Most guys and girls I ride with deal with it here.
Old    benj_t            04-01-2008, 2:29 PM Reply   
yep same with me.
Old     (da_kamp)      Join Date: Jan 2008       04-01-2008, 4:01 PM Reply   
man i've never even heard of this........and i ride the delta.....
Old     (kko13)      Join Date: Jul 2006       04-01-2008, 5:03 PM Reply   
every time out for me here in FLA. no matter wich lake. i hate it if you find out how to get rid of it let me know.
Old     (liveoz)      Join Date: May 2002       04-01-2008, 5:24 PM Reply   
It's allergies. Pollen and other crap float on the water, they get in the sinus,. Happens to peolple on clean lakes as well, just depends on what you are allergic to.
Old     (treycleaton)      Join Date: Mar 2005       04-01-2008, 5:32 PM Reply   
yep, I got a sinus infection late last summer. Water shot up the nostrils several times in one day. Nothin a zpac can't clear up!
Old     (slipknot)      Join Date: Aug 2001       04-01-2008, 5:57 PM Reply   
two words for you

netty pot

try it

http://www.ehow.com/how_2167016_use-netty-pot.html

(Message edited by slipknot on April 01, 2008)
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       04-01-2008, 7:12 PM Reply   
slipknot, thats the true nose doucher my friend!
Old     (sacmule)      Join Date: May 2007       04-01-2008, 10:58 PM Reply   
Your congestion is probably due to allergies. Pollen rests on the surface of the water and gets in your nose anytime you are in the water. I too get congested and usually take an allergy pill (sudafed) if congestion gets too bad. A doctor once told me to avoid antihistamines since these can actually dry out your sinuses.
Old     (owenitall)      Join Date: Jun 2007       04-02-2008, 12:14 AM Reply   
i have been complaining about a stopped up nose every night when i get home from the lake for the last 2 years. i couldn't live without my nose spray!!!!
Old     (emstenb)      Join Date: Apr 2008       04-02-2008, 6:31 PM Reply   
Antihistamines can't dry out your sinuses. I am a CMA at an allergy/asthma clinic.

Look to Slipknot's post... Everybody with this problem should use a Netti Pot/Sinus Rinses every time after the lake. It's over the counter. If that doesn't help, at an H1 antihistamine or antiinflammatory nasal spray, like Veramyst, Nasanex, Nasacort, Rhinocort, etc. That combination will clear everything right up.

If it's really bad, see an allergist. You can always get tested for allergies and do some immunotherapy!
Old     (dppaneig)      Join Date: Feb 2008       04-02-2008, 7:30 PM Reply   
I never thought about allergies. I have never had allergies though, why would I only have them in the water? Just curious, I always thought of the pesticides from farmers.
Old     (dnannen)      Join Date: Nov 2007       04-02-2008, 7:48 PM Reply   
You only blame it on the farmers cause all the environmentalist say its the end of the world and the media over exsagerates it, manipulating you in believeing it, next thing you know there is global warming and you are going to be charged for breathing because you are killing the earth. Sorry off topic I am from a strong farming family. Also a republican.

I get the same thing so if you can figure it out i am all ears.
Old     (nuckledragger)      Join Date: Jun 2004       04-02-2008, 8:57 PM Reply   
It is probably an allergy to the bacteria, algae or other things in the water. Similar things happen to me in the ocean when there is a red algae bloom known as red tide during the summer.

You can grin and bear it, get nose plugs, or can follow slipknots post
Old     (slipknot)      Join Date: Aug 2001       04-02-2008, 9:01 PM Reply   
neti pot bro Im telling you, I dont play
Old     (wakeboardern1)      Join Date: Aug 2007       04-02-2008, 9:06 PM Reply   
It has to do with the impact with the water when you fall. My sinus's get clogged up when I'm out and I fall alot, or I jump off of the lake's cliffs a whole lot in one day. It's just your body reacting to a massive amount of water coming into contact with your sinus cavity.

I'm fairly certain that this is a primary factor in it, mixed with the allergens on the surface of the water. But impacts with the water will screw up your sinus's, kind of like when you get the snot knocked out of you playing football or something.