Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (cpwake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       05-18-2016, 11:20 AM Reply   
I recently bought a Ronix One Timebomb 142. I came from on an older Hyperlite Premier biocore, which I rode finless. There is about 6-7 model years between the two, but I'm very surprised at the difference between how they ride. I'm actually disappointed in the One, but it's my riding style. I was able to ride the Premier finless because it had sharp and cupped edges and molded in fins. The One has rounded edges and requires the 1" fins to feel anywhere close to the same "hook-up" when edgine. Unfortunately I don't have any wake shops nearby to compare boards. Are there any boards on the market now that are similar to the old premier?

I also got the One closed toe bindings, which I'm not sold on either...but that's a different issue. Any help / opinions are appreciated!
Old     (skiboarder)      Join Date: Oct 2006       05-18-2016, 12:37 PM Reply   
Boards have evolved vastly. I promise that you will learn to love the time bomb and the closed toes. Probably not what you want to hear, but I would stick with it and learn to ride it. I hated CT bindings and resisted them for a good while, but I have learned to love them.

Not any boards that I know of still have aggressively cupped rails and for good reason, they will lay you down fast.
Old     (cpwake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       05-18-2016, 12:48 PM Reply   
Interesting input. I appreciate it. I think the CT bindings might be a bit large. I wear a 13 in shoes, and the 12 sized bindings cramped my big toes. I bought the size 13'-14s but really have to crank down to tighten them up. I've ridden them about 4 times but wonder if I shouldn't have gone with size 12's and hope they loosen up. Any input on that issue?
Old     (skiboarder)      Join Date: Oct 2006       05-18-2016, 12:51 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpwake View Post
Interesting input. I appreciate it. I think the CT bindings might be a bit large. I wear a 13 in shoes, and the 12 sized bindings cramped my big toes. I bought the size 13'-14s but really have to crank down to tighten them up. I've ridden them about 4 times but wonder if I shouldn't have gone with size 12's and hope they loosen up. Any input on that issue?
Yeah, On the Ronix boots, when in doubt, go down in size. Like a nice pair of snowboard boots, they will pack-out.
Old     (beg4wake)      Join Date: Aug 2012       05-24-2016, 7:30 AM Reply   
Agree with Skiboarder....give the One some time! Need a little more info too. What year Timebomb did you get? '14 to '15 there was a change in design (or maybe it was '13-'14). Also, what size did you get and how much do you weigh? That could all play into effect. And as a side note, no 2 boards ride alike! Even if both boards are newer! A few years ago, I went from a '11 One to a "13 One Timebomb and did not like it at all! But later I realized it was because with the newer model design, I should have sized up a board. And now the newest model One's are designed to ride high on the water, giving you less drag meaning you glide faster and more effortlessly. But because of that, they may require just a bit more fin that other boards. But like Skiboarder said, they also are less likely to catch an edge!! Just some things to think of! Oh, and as for the boots, You kind of are between sizes, but the better bet would have been to go with the 12 and then heat them up and push your foot in to get them to "pack in" and mold better to your foot.
Old     (cpwake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       05-29-2016, 7:31 AM Reply   
Thanks for the reply Brian. I have the 2014 Timebomb. I've got the 142 - I'm 6'3", 175lbs. I'm just really surprised at the difference. It absolutely required fins, unlike my last board(s). Some of that difference may because of the boots. I just received a pair of size 12 Ronix Code 55 boots - My toes go straight to the end, but it's MUCH more surrounding. I was having to really crank down on my One boots to remove all wiggle room and it still wasn't quite enough. Especially on my toeside inverts. Hope to ride the new boots on the Timebomb sometime over the next 2 weeks and compare.
Old     (beg4wake)      Join Date: Aug 2012       05-31-2016, 8:05 PM Reply   
Remember, that model Timebomb was made to utilize a progressive edge but still have explosive pop. It rides higher and faster on top of the water than maybe your last board (hence the lack of edge without fins). However you may not need as much cut coming in to get the same pop. I don't know for sure....but that's just a thought and an approach you may wanna try! Good luck with it!