Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (RPM_DLX)      Join Date: Jul 2010       01-20-2016, 7:58 AM Reply   
I'm looking at getting my first wakesurfboard. I'm a big guy around 300lbs 6' tall. I'm looking for something that will be easy to learn on but I don't have a big budget to spend on the board. The boat being used is a 2005 Sanger V215. I'll be working on the size of the wave this summer since I just bought the 1100lb tankbuster conversion kit for the rear ballasts in each corner. So far the keg looks like a good combination between size, weight and surface area. I'm not really looking to spend $700 right now. Trying to be around $400 or less. This board will probably get used with several other people on the boat as well.
Old     (tonyv420)      Join Date: Jul 2007       01-21-2016, 10:25 PM Reply   
Try Day1wake, they have made a few large boards for my buddy that is 300lbs. Doubt you will get one for 400 though, but I bet Jonathan can work a deal to your liking.
Old     (RPM_DLX)      Join Date: Jul 2010       01-22-2016, 7:48 AM Reply   
Thanks but budget is a key factor right now. I'm not interested in performance of the board right now other than being able to get up and learn to go ropeless. I have no problem buying a nicer board next season when I know I can do this. I was looking at the CWB keg and then also the Hyperlite Broadcast. Both seem to do what I need it to do possibly. The hyperlite landlock was another but it looks huge.
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       01-22-2016, 8:05 AM Reply   
The Broadcast is a excellent beginner board. But you will outgrow it's performance in one season.
Old     (Chaos)      Join Date: Apr 2010       01-22-2016, 10:49 AM Reply   
At your size you might struggle with the Keg or the big broadcast. The 2016 broadcast is new shape, and this fishier shape is geared towards more surface area and more buoyancy. However, the best thing you could do for learning is just go get a used $100 to $200 surfboard, a shortboard in the 6'4" range, ideally a big boy model. This will be a lot easier to learn to ride on than a wake specific board. That used surfboard will always be worth $100 to $200. Your used Keg or broadcast will be worth less than half you paid for it.

When you are ready to get on a big boy wake surfers, happy to walk you through the best boards out there.

Nick
Old     (dennish)      Join Date: May 2005       01-22-2016, 12:40 PM Reply   
I have the same boat. The wake can be great. Fill the front stock ballast. I use 600# lead under bags on the side I am surfing on and then fill a bag on top. Can't get enough water in the locker without lead to get a great surf wake.
Old     (RPM_DLX)      Join Date: Jul 2010       01-23-2016, 6:31 PM Reply   
Nick, are you thinking the 2016 broadcast is a better choice than the keg? My dealer was thinking the keg would be a bit better because of the keg had epoxy construction providing more buoyancy. I'll probably get a regular wake surf board to start and move to the real surf board if I can't get up because I want a regular board for friends I take out on the boat as well.
Old     (Chaos)      Join Date: Apr 2010       01-24-2016, 8:24 AM Reply   
I would agree with your local dealer when comparing those two boards. Sounds like you should give the Keg a run and see how it goes. I only commented regarding the broadcast as it was mentioned by others. The broadcast is also one of the most common board people learn on, in part because they are so widely available.

Nick
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       02-09-2016, 8:37 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by dennish View Post
I have the same boat. The wake can be great. Fill the front stock ballast. I use 600# lead under bags on the side I am surfing on and then fill a bag on top. Can't get enough water in the locker without lead to get a great surf wake.
Dennis is your lead all in the bow on the surf side?
Old     (That_Guy)      Join Date: Aug 2015 Location: Central Ohio       02-09-2016, 3:49 PM Reply   
I've got a keg and it's the only thing I've been able to go ropeless on so far. I just started last summer and it was priced right so I'm happy with it. I'm 5'10" and 275lbs for reference.
Old     (RPM_DLX)      Join Date: Jul 2010       02-09-2016, 9:02 PM Reply   
Thanks Matt, I think I'm going to give that a try