Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (RPM_DLX)      Join Date: Jul 2010       12-30-2015, 7:55 AM Reply   
I'm looking to start making a ghetto gate for my Sanger V215 so I am looking for ideas. So far its looking like something sliding over the swim platform with an eye bolt in the top and bottom for a tie down the boats tie down loops. I'm debating on what type of wood to use and possibly sealing with a rubberized spray. I was thinking of leaving room for a hard foam liner where it touches the swim platform so it wont leave rubbing marks. Trying to debate what angle to go with for my first attempt. I don't want to drill holes in my teak platform. I figured I would design it in 3-D CAD first. Curious to see what others are making. Please post pictures of your homemade creation.
Old     (soonerbilly)      Join Date: Jul 2013       12-30-2015, 9:32 AM Reply   
I made one using plywood and a walker leg. Works great. What's your email? Illv send a few pics.
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       12-30-2015, 9:59 AM Reply   
Made mine from black HDPE, got in on ebay for $50/sheet. Used one sheet per side.

Here are my notes that I created for sharing. https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...it?usp=sharing
Old     (RPM_DLX)      Join Date: Jul 2010       12-30-2015, 12:26 PM Reply   
Bill, I PM'ed you the email address.

Tom, I never really though about using plastic but that could be a good option. Did you make that so it could be reversed from port to starboard? What holds it in place?
Old     (WheelerWake)      Join Date: Mar 2013       12-30-2015, 6:50 PM Reply   
Here's mine

http://www.themalibucrew.com/forums/...cup-surf-gate/
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       12-31-2015, 5:24 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM_DLX View Post
Bill, I PM'ed you the email address.

Tom, I never really though about using plastic but that could be a good option. Did you make that so it could be reversed from port to starboard? What holds it in place?

Not reversible. It's basically not possible to make it reversible due to the shape of the axis transom. If the transom is flat then you may be able to.

It's held on with a ratchet strap to the transom.
Old     (RPM_DLX)      Join Date: Jul 2010       12-31-2015, 8:38 AM Reply   
The Sanger transom has a similar shape and I have been trying to figure something out but everything I do requires some disassembly and I think for convenience other than storage space in the boat, making two separate units is better. What angle did you guys use?
Old     (RPM_DLX)      Join Date: Jul 2010       12-31-2015, 8:44 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelerWake View Post
Wheeler wake, that looks pretty interesting. I am assuming you can then use it on either side of the boat. I am liking this idea. I never would have imagined suction cups would stay in place with water going along it. Do you have to have this on before launching? I'm trying to imagine putting this on while already on the lake
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       12-31-2015, 10:21 AM Reply   
Quote:
The Sanger transom has a similar shape and I have been trying to figure something out but everything I do requires some disassembly and I think for convenience other than storage space in the boat, making two separate units is better. What angle did you guys use?
My angles are in the google document that I linked to.

Storage is definitely an inconvenience, especially since I have a smaller boat (A20). Totally worth it though.
Old     (soonerbilly)      Join Date: Jul 2013       12-31-2015, 10:29 AM Reply   
The storage issue is why I wanted to make a semi permanent retractable unit. Either way you go I think its worth it.
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       12-31-2015, 11:15 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by soonerbilly View Post
The storage issue is why I wanted to make a semi permanent retractable unit. Either way you go I think its worth it.
Just beware that swim platform width might end up being an issue with a permanent solution. A buddy of mine did a full on lenco implementation without testing things out first. He found out that the retracted surfgate didn't retract far enough due to swim platform width and it caused the surfgate to dig into the wave and ruin it.
Old     (WheelerWake)      Join Date: Mar 2013       12-31-2015, 1:35 PM Reply   
Quote:
Wheeler wake, that looks pretty interesting. I am assuming you can then use it on either side of the boat. I am liking this idea. I never would have imagined suction cups would stay in place with water going along it. Do you have to have this on before launching? I'm trying to imagine putting this on while already on the lake
I actually can't launch with it on, it hits the guide poles on the trailer. It does work on either side. and is actually very easy to install. I've installed it while in the water or hanging over the side. Because it is "free fitting" it can be installed at different heights depending and ballast/people. I am planning on try it farther forward on the boat to see what effect that has.
Old     (Brent44)      Join Date: Apr 2013       01-04-2016, 2:40 AM Reply   
I realize you didn't ask this question, just my 2 cents.

Forget the gate.

List it and slam it, you won't beat that wake.
Old     (h20king)      Join Date: Dec 2009       01-04-2016, 10:09 AM Reply   
What^^^^ he said
Old     (dvsone79)      Join Date: Dec 2012       01-04-2016, 11:13 AM Reply   
I made a ghetto gate for my MC 205v and it worked much better than listing the boat. I just weight the boat down the same as wakeboarding (2 750s in the back lockers, another 750 in the bow, and 300 in the ski locker), and run 10-10.5 depending on how many people are in the boat. At the end of the season, I ditched the ghetto gate and made a DIY version of the Ronix Eight.3 Surf device using skateboard ramps. It works better than the gate. I've attached some pics, and here's video of the surf wake using the skate ramps (there is no rider in the video, but I assure you it rode every bit as good as it looks): https://youtu.be/7yozujChpR8
Attached Images

Last edited by dvsone79; 01-04-2016 at 11:17 AM. Reason: forgot weight and speed
Old     (h20king)      Join Date: Dec 2009       01-04-2016, 12:48 PM Reply   
Not trying to be mean ^^ but that wake is garbage . It is short and dirty. If you honestly think that is a nice wake you must have never been behind a real surf boat
Old     (WheelerWake)      Join Date: Mar 2013       01-04-2016, 3:36 PM Reply   
I'm not trying to be mean but you^^^^ must have been raised by wolves with the tact you just displayed.
Old     (h20king)      Join Date: Dec 2009       01-04-2016, 4:26 PM Reply   
Are you sure it was not you^^^ that was raised by wolves. I was just honest and did not make it personal you jump on a comment that was not even intended for you. It is posbsible though I was raised by wolves as I do run in a pack
Old     (dvsone79)      Join Date: Dec 2012       01-04-2016, 4:30 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by h20king View Post
Not trying to be mean ^^ but that wake is garbage . It is short and dirty. If you honestly think that is a nice wake you must have never been behind a real surf boat
I am ashamed to admit I have wasted sets (aka surfed) behind a G23, a G25, and a handful of different 210, as well as my own boat. But each time was after at least 2 wakeboard sets for everyone on board so I have a good excuse. Granted, those are all wake boats and not "real surf boats". We make do with our garbage wakes, short and dirty as they may be. I will say that they are tall and clean at 23mph, though! LMAO.
Old     (h20king)      Join Date: Dec 2009       01-04-2016, 5:24 PM Reply   
If wakeboarding is your primary sport I would say that your wave is good enough. I have yet to find a boat that excels at both. Seems you get one or the other with boats. You get a great wakeboard wake and a so so surf wake or a great surf wake and a so so wakeboard wake. If I posted pics of my wakeboard wake you would have said the same thing. LOL
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       01-05-2016, 6:49 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by h20king View Post
It's a mastercraft 205v... Listed or surfgate or w/e it will never be a great wave... Looks good enough for a recreational surfer.
Old     (RPM_DLX)      Join Date: Jul 2010       01-05-2016, 12:51 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent44 View Post
I realize you didn't ask this question, just my 2 cents.

Forget the gate.

List it and slam it, you won't beat that wake.
I have planned on doing that. I am pulling the 250lb hard tanks out this winter and replacing with the 1100lb bags in each. I was thinking of getting some of the 50lb pellet bags for the front in addition to the stock 500lb mid front bag in the floor. I was thinking of trying to make a surfgate as well to see if that makes the wave any better.
Old     (feral)      Join Date: Oct 2011       01-06-2016, 4:19 AM Reply   
This is mine. Basically same on underside 20x10 - needs more angle than as shown. Will rebuilt with hpd when sorted.
Attached Images

Old     (hco)      Join Date: Jun 2006       01-06-2016, 8:54 AM Reply   
Ignore harold, he's just a questionably literate prick.
Old     (srock)      Join Date: Mar 2002       01-11-2016, 1:46 PM Reply   
Not trying to be mean ^^ but your girlfriend looks like garbage. She is short and dirty. If you honestly think that is a nice girl friend you must have never had a real girl friend.

Oh it's your mother?... I was just being honest, she is a very nice lady.
Old    r33pwrd            01-11-2016, 4:17 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by srock View Post
Not trying to be mean ^^ but your girlfriend looks like garbage. She is short and dirty. If you honestly think that is a nice girl friend you must have never had a real girl friend.

Oh it's your mother?... I was just being honest, she is a very nice lady.
Seriously who says that ****?
Old     (srock)      Join Date: Mar 2002       01-20-2016, 10:50 AM Reply   
exactly no one would - I just inserted "girlfriend" into the prior post to illustrate a point.