Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (imondi)      Join Date: Aug 2010       08-03-2011, 11:59 AM Reply   
Hey guys! So I currently have an 02 Sanger V210 that we run almost 3k lbs of ballast, but I really like the new Axis's. How much better will the wake be on a new A22 with the PnP system? Also, will an A22 fit in a 23 foot garage?

Thanks guys!
Old     (megsswm)      Join Date: Jul 2009       08-03-2011, 12:22 PM Reply   
you should demo if you can to see the difference in the wakes. We have a new a-22 and love the wake, wave on the boat. With the plug n play the wake is very easy to build up or knowck down to the riders preference. Also with the wedge it is even better. We have had very advanced riders to 5 year old kids all ride behind the boat comfortably.
Old     (chattwake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       08-03-2011, 12:25 PM Reply   
Here are some pictures of the A22 wake with factory ballast, wedge down and about 3k in extra pnp weight.
Attached Images

Old     (chattwake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       08-03-2011, 12:26 PM Reply   
Obviously, pictures don't do the wake justice.

Check out this video as well: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gszNwDXd3UE
Old     (chattwake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       08-03-2011, 12:28 PM Reply   
Dan (the guy in the first, second and last pic) is riding at 80ft at 23.5 mph, and I (3rd pic) was riding doubles in that picture on a short rope at 70 ft.
Old     (bruizza)      Join Date: May 2009       08-03-2011, 4:22 PM Reply   
I have never ridden behind a Sanger but I can tell you that just about everyone that comes out and rides behind our A22 says it is the biggest wake they have ever ridden. We have a very similar set up to Chattwake and are routinely riding with 3-4k pounds of ballast plus wedge.
Old     (saberworks)      Join Date: Sep 2010       08-03-2011, 4:41 PM Reply   
To answer your garage questions... I doubt it. I don't own one but I looked at one. The wedge hangs out quite far even if the swim platform is off, and even though you have a swing tongue it's still a bit longer than the bow of the boat. I'd be very careful and measure before you pull the trigger.

I almost bought a new axis a22 last year but ended up buying a used sanger v210 instead. I liked the axis better. The snap-out carpet was killer, the ballast set up was awesome, the interior really appealed to me because it's simple and not blinged out like some other boats. It seems like less stuff to break. It's a much bigger boat than the v210, have you looked at one in person? It sits way up higher on the trailer and just feels massive in comparison. I went with the sanger because of $$ and room to park it. Also I'm not good enough to need that huge wake yet!

Last edited by saberworks; 08-03-2011 at 4:43 PM. Reason: spelling
Old     (imondi)      Join Date: Aug 2010       08-04-2011, 7:18 AM Reply   
man...that wake looks insane! Hopefully the dealer gets back to me so I can head over this weekend and demo one! While I am there, i can measure it to see if it will fit in my garage!
Old     (chattwake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       08-04-2011, 7:22 AM Reply   
It's slightly over 23 feet with the platform off and the tongue swung in. Make sure to measure your garage carefully with the door down. Take into account that the longest part of the rear of the boat will be the housing for the wedge, which is about stomach high on the trailer. You may be able to cock the boat slightly left or right to get another inch of room for the garage to close.
Old     (you_da_man)      Join Date: Sep 2009       08-04-2011, 7:50 AM Reply   
I'm still a beginner rider with a mixed bag of jumps/tricks to my name but I have yet to even fill my ballast full and use the wedge. I have the plug n' play ballast but added the 750 rear sacs instead of the standard sacs. I've filled those with maybe 250lbs each plus factory hard tanks with wedge and the wake is big, clean, and firm. I like that the Axis is not that weight sensitive side to side to keep a clean wake.
Old     (wakedork)      Join Date: May 2009       08-04-2011, 2:08 PM Reply   
If the A-22 is too long for the garage, why not look at the A-20.
Old     (imondi)      Join Date: Aug 2010       08-04-2011, 3:58 PM Reply   
That's what I am thinking...I just wanted to up-size from the V210 I have now. I am pretty sure the 20ft A20 is still bigger than my boat inside though!
Old     (stoked_32)      Join Date: Aug 2007       08-05-2011, 3:53 PM Reply   
How does the A22 or 20 do on gas in comparison to other boats?

I know about 3/4 hours (~6sets) is about 90-120 bucks right now on my buddy's '09 210, whereas I know a xstar can be significantly more. (full ballast @ optimum wake)

Last edited by stoked_32; 08-05-2011 at 4:01 PM.
Old     (stoked_32)      Join Date: Aug 2007       08-06-2011, 10:01 PM Reply   
Anyone?
Old     (imondi)      Join Date: Aug 2010       08-08-2011, 8:54 AM Reply   
lol i dont think anybody wants to talk about the fuel consumption...might be a sore subject!

One more question about both the A20 and A22. I life in CO and usually ride around 4k feet elevation. How necessary is the Raptor 400 for pulling full PnP? Can you prop the 335 or is it just not enough?
Old     (chattwake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       08-08-2011, 9:01 AM Reply   
I don't know about in CO, but I know that a friend of mine has an A20 with that new oj 6 blade prop and standard 335 motor. He runs 1100lb sacs in the rear, factory ballast, wedge, front pnp sac and bow triangle and his boat planes out and runs about 3.3k rpm @ 23.5mph.
Old     (chattwake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       08-08-2011, 9:02 AM Reply   
I have the raptor in mine and it planes out with 1100lb sacs, wedge, front pnp sac and bow triangle no problem. (Both my friend and I are in East TN)
Old     (chattwake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       08-08-2011, 9:02 AM Reply   
I am running the 1235 prop btw.
Old     (cjh1669)      Join Date: Apr 2005       08-08-2011, 9:08 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by imondi View Post
lol i dont think anybody wants to talk about the fuel consumption...might be a sore subject!

One more question about both the A20 and A22. I life in CO and usually ride around 4k feet elevation. How necessary is the Raptor 400 for pulling full PnP? Can you prop the 335 or is it just not enough?
Alt is a wake boats worst enemy, you're going to have a hard time planing out, even with the raptor, at full PNP ballast at alt. I often ride behind an axis with a ton of weight and at about 5400 feet. We have to empty till we plane. I've heard when they took it to sea level they had no such issues. THey have the 1235 prop on it . I run about 2800lbs to 3300lbs of ballast wiht a monsoon in my malibu, and I have to also empty till we plane. I'm also running the 1235
Old     (imondi)      Join Date: Aug 2010       08-08-2011, 9:27 AM Reply   
That's what I was worried about. Chattawake: is that A20 the Raptor as well?
Old     (bruizza)      Join Date: May 2009       08-08-2011, 6:18 PM Reply   
We live on the NW side of Denver (westminster) we have the raptor 400 in ours and you most definitely want this option. Chris is talking about our boat in his post. We have 1100s in the back, the 950 PnP bag up front and the factory 900lbs. We fill the rears to ~900 or so then fill the rest and run wedge. So typically we are running 3650ish lbs plus wedge. We can usually plane no problem until we get more than 5 people in the boat then we need to drain the rear bags some or pull up the wedge. The wake is so big at that point it doesn't really matter. We sometimes throw a 550 or 2 up front if the lake is empty and it does well with that as long we don't have a ton of folks in the boat. Like he said we went down to Oklahoma with it and we put as much weight in it as we had including a couple bags we borrowed and it planed every time. Anyways sorry for the long post but if you live in Colorado you definitely want the upgraded engine. Oh we have the Acme 1235 and plan on getting that new OJ prop before we hit Powell in Sept.
Old     (imondi)      Join Date: Aug 2010       08-08-2011, 7:51 PM Reply   
Bruizza: Thank you so much for your feedback! I am going into Tommy's tomorrow to demo one. They have a black one that I really like, but it is the 335... Guess I will talk to them and see what I can do! Thanks again though.
Old     (chattwake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       08-09-2011, 6:11 AM Reply   
Victor,

Do yourself a favor and bring 10 people with you or some extra sacs. Demoing an A22 with factory ballast is like taking a vette for a test drive in bumper to bumper traffic. Yeah, you get to touch and feel the vehicle, but you don't really get to see the potential that the vehicle has for performing as intended.
Old    jdgreen1            08-09-2011, 6:56 AM Reply   
I am a big fan of that wake!
Old     (stoked_32)      Join Date: Aug 2007       08-09-2011, 8:03 AM Reply   
Quote:

so basically, it drinks fuel like the x-star...? Damn... I was really starting to like these boats...
Old     (chattwake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       08-09-2011, 8:16 AM Reply   
It's not any worse than my 230's were with the zr6's in them. You put 3-4k in any wakeboat and you're going to blow through some gas.
Old     (bruizza)      Join Date: May 2009       08-09-2011, 12:18 PM Reply   
Victor if you would like to check out an A22 with the full PnP system and the big motor let me know.
Old     (superair502)      Join Date: Mar 2010       08-09-2011, 11:32 PM Reply   
True with 3-4k lbs ballast you are going to blow through gas in any boat but That does not mean there isn't a difference between bad and horrible. For example my old school 210 with 3500 lbs per set is way cheaper than a 230 with the same weight which is still even cheaper than a weighted x-star. I would say a normal 20 minute set on my 210 is less than 4 gallons where on an x-star it can be well north of 5. If you look closely at the brands out there, there are two very different ideas on how to create a great hull. For example nautiques usually have a very deep v hull which allows them to sink easier and move water more efficiently. The drawback is the wakes can be super sensitive and touchy. Mastercrafts on the other hand are more square shaped hulls which are harder to sink but throw a very clean wake even when the weight is not perfect. That being said I still haven't had the chance to ride and axis as my dealer can't keep them on the floor long enough to demo. But I feel the 230 does pretty darn gOod on fuel compared to other boats so if the a22 is close to that then that is a good thing.
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       08-10-2011, 1:40 AM Reply   
Please let us know how the demo goes victor, I would be super keen to know how the A22 wake compares to a dumped V210
Old     (stoked_32)      Join Date: Aug 2007       08-10-2011, 7:29 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by superair502 View Post
True with 3-4k lbs ballast you are going to blow through gas in any boat but That does not mean there isn't a difference between bad and horrible. For example my old school 210 with 3500 lbs per set is way cheaper than a 230 with the same weight which is still even cheaper than a weighted x-star. I would say a normal 20 minute set on my 210 is less than 4 gallons where on an x-star it can be well north of 5. If you look closely at the brands out there, there are two very different ideas on how to create a great hull. For example nautiques usually have a very deep v hull which allows them to sink easier and move water more efficiently. The drawback is the wakes can be super sensitive and touchy. Mastercrafts on the other hand are more square shaped hulls which are harder to sink but throw a very clean wake even when the weight is not perfect. That being said I still haven't had the chance to ride and axis as my dealer can't keep them on the floor long enough to demo. But I feel the 230 does pretty darn gOod on fuel compared to other boats so if the a22 is close to that then that is a good thing.
Thanks mason, that's exactly the type of response I was looking for. That's actually the reason why I want to look beyond the 210, cause the wakes are a bit finicky, and the fuel consumption is a deal breaker for me for the xstar. I was hoping the a22 would be a good middle of the road. Any idea how the a22 stcks up on fuel vs the lsv? I have some experience behind that boat, so it'll give me a rough gauge.
Old     (ajf4242)      Join Date: Aug 2008       08-10-2011, 12:51 PM Reply   
when i switched to the 1615 prop i was burning 4.9 gallons per hour fully loaded so approx. 3200 lbs of ballast plus the wedge. That is with the 335 engine, i just got the 5 blade prop and am trying to see if that will be even better. . . which i'm sure it will considering I will be running less rpm. This is around what I got with my 08 Supra with 2300lbs of ballast. I think the boat does decently on fuel consumption.
Old     (imondi)      Join Date: Aug 2010       08-10-2011, 4:37 PM Reply   
Thanks alot for the offer Bruizza, Tommy's slalom set it up pretty good with the full PnP system.

I was very impressed with everything about the boat! I had heard that they had a cheap feel to them, but I did not feel that way at all. The wake behind it was very, very impressive! I couldn't go super huge because I tore my MCL a couple weeks ago, but I did get to charge it pretty hard a few times. The transition was much much smoother than the Sanger and jumping out into the transition seemed more forgiving. It was a really rampy wake similar to the Malibus. The SkyBox seating is a really cool idea too.

It went well enough that you can see my boat in the classifieds now! Thanks everybody for the help and hopefully I will be in a new A22 soon!
Old     (bruizza)      Join Date: May 2009       08-10-2011, 5:30 PM Reply   
Awesome Victor glad you liked it!!! Hopefully it all works out and you get your boat sold and get into that Axis!
Old     (superair502)      Join Date: Mar 2010       08-10-2011, 8:30 PM Reply   
4.9 gallons an hour on 3200lbs? I'm calling bs. So a 20 minute set would only cost you 6.50 in gas?
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       08-10-2011, 9:24 PM Reply   
Quote:
The wake behind it was very, very impressive! I couldn't go super huge because I tore my MCL a couple weeks ago, but I did get to charge it pretty hard a few times. The transition was much much smoother than the Sanger and jumping out into the transition seemed more forgiving. It was a really rampy wake similar to the Malibus.
Was the wake taller than you currently run or just thicker and rampier?
Old     (imondi)      Join Date: Aug 2010       08-10-2011, 10:07 PM Reply   
definitely not taller but alot harder! Quite a bit wider too, but that's expected since its a slightly bigger boat.
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       08-11-2011, 12:54 AM Reply   
Thanks mate. I have definitely experienced what you have described with bigger boats before, the wake gets more "solid" with a longer transition rather than taller. Except the epic which is super tall and steep.
Old     (ajf4242)      Join Date: Aug 2008       08-11-2011, 2:23 AM Reply   
mason, you can call bs, but that's what i ran when I had that prop on the first day then the next day i didn't board as much and ran 4.1 gallons per hour. When I ran that 4.9 me and another guy rode 2 times and surfed for a little bit. I don't try and calculate how much a set would cost because I honestly don't care. . . I just always calculate my gallons per hour when I fill up my boat. With the high altitude prop I couldn't run as much in the rear so I would say 2800 at the most and would run 5.9 or so.