Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old     (snjames316)      Join Date: Mar 2017       02-08-2019, 9:00 AM Reply   
Been part of the forum for a while but never posted here, Figured now is a good time since I am looking for some minor assistance for TBW setup.

I recently started working on for a more cost friendly approach to adding a gps speed control to old boats that can't justify a $1000+ main brand controller. I saw some old posts from a different forum and got in contact with the person who started it. We have worked on creating a low cost, accurate, easy to install, universal solution. I am programming everything and my counterpart (the founder for lack of better term) has been working on hardware solutions.

This past season I completely overhauled the entire unit's programming from the menu to the throttle calculation (which was refined about 6 times). We have gone from an unstable, barely working state, on 1 boat to around 10 boats with feedback from several users saying they like the stability better than PP or ZO.

Currently still getting a few test units out while working on a way to get a more doable process of assembling hardware. current cost is from about $250-350 USD. We are planning on having several option for cost effectiveness. from the minimal DIY kit to a custom made ready to integrate Option for your boat. range will probably be $300-500 but that is to be determined still.

Currently this will work with any engine with a throttle controlled by cable. We have not installed on any outboard engines yet, but it should be very do-able with a little handy work on servo placement. TBW section - I am working on a programming upgrade that will allow for any boat with Throttle By Wire to also use the system, That is currently in planning phase and I have not started engineering yet, but I do have a solution that is being reworked a few times till I am satisfied it is a safe, easy, modification. Currently I am looking for someone to volunteer to help me figure out what the exact signal type is coming off of the throttle controller for a TBW system. I think it's a PWM signal but i'm not 100% sure. If anyone could confirm for me I would appreciate it.

2018 Season Upgrades

General Code - No more freezing unit, It is now full reworked/optimized the entire firmware code from ground up to run faster
GPS Mode - several iterations of control calculations have been tested and improved upon. Currently holding target within about .3 MPH at all times, Currently testing a new calculation to solve an overshoot issue on initial acceleration
Acceleration Rate - Adjustable acceleration rate for those who have boats that will rip arms off the lesser experienced.
New Menu - A new scrolling menu that is easy to see and navigate to each setting. making a settings change is just a few clicks
Compass/Heading - Optional on screen compass reading (N,NE,E,SE...ect)[*]Sensors - Optional Water and Air temp sensors on display (degrees in F or C), Voltage display, RPM display
RPM mode - RPM now works but has not been fine tuned yet.
Overshoot Control - A way to select the exact amount of overshoot you want without needing to change the main acceleration profile.
Known Bugs - Fixed: to many to count or keep track of. Existing: If unit loses GPS signal it looks like the unit is frozen up while it tries to regain signal. Firmware update fails if there is a space in the update directory path.
Servo solution - Servo is now available with a highly water resistant(almost waterproof) design to protect the servo. you can still purchase your own servo and integrate it into the system as a custom solution.
Twin Engine - twin engine setups are supported and requires only 1 servo. No extra cost having to run two servos. On the list to program a 2 servo option with Engine sync abilities. This will only increase by the price of the second servo and optional waterproofing.
Gauge case - Designed a 3d printed 3.5" gauge case for the units to be shipped in. you can request a custom case if needed for mounting in unique locations.
Project Code - This project's code is currently open source meaning you can get a copy, read it, modify it, customize it, make your own hardware and use our code for free, submit bug reports, request features, ect., source location is here

I'm sure there's some other stuff but that is all the main stuff I think

Video clips we have so far

Test with split video of Servo and Unit
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0iDjN5Jejo

Fourth of july! 'Murica
https://youtu.be/J7YusadDv2I

Speed accuracy (NOTE-There was ZERO tuning done at this point, we shipped him the unit and he installed it and took it on the water.)

Some tube testing with iniital code
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8TQty3DrWgg

initial wakeboard test (ignore skill level)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YefhLkuNBl0

initial Wakesurf test(ignore skill level)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TyObVTVflI8
Attached Images