Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (Mike88)      Join Date: Aug 2016       07-01-2017, 8:13 AM Reply   
My boat come stock with an Acme 1235. (2016 tige RZR)
Need an extra prop to keep in stock.
After passing tones of threads and post many people had their own idea but anybody had real experience with both or know for sure the exact difference between the 2 instead the dimension lol..
And can really explain me the pos and cons of both.

Many people says that the 1433 is the best but why?
I was thinking bigger the prop always better no?
Thanks everyone.

Last edited by Mike88; 07-01-2017 at 8:14 AM. Reason: Tapping
Old     (Dandy21)      Join Date: May 2016       07-01-2017, 8:38 AM Reply   
Mike, what do you mainly do with your boat? Cruise, ski, surf... Depending on what your goal is will be will make a difference as to what prop will be best. The prop essentially becomes part of your drive systems gear reduction if you will. Like a gear box some gears (props) will provide more torque but less RPMs and some will be less torque but higher RPMs.
Old     (Mike88)      Join Date: Aug 2016       07-01-2017, 10:34 AM Reply   
We do everything. I am primary surfing 80% of the time but we wakeboard, tube and I'm skiing too.
We are on a long lake and after a long day on the water I speed a little bit to return home.
That's why I like to keep some top speed too.

If you can explain me the pos and cons of each could be very helpful !
Thank you very much
Old     (xstarrider)      Join Date: Jun 2007       07-01-2017, 11:46 AM Reply   
I have run the 1235 , 1617, 1433, and 1579 all on my 210 with the same pcm power plant.

Hands down for hole shot , bite , and performance the 1235 is the best. If you're surfing 80% of the time the 1235 is where you wanna be. If you were maybe skiing or cruising at high speeds 50-60% then you could drop some Rpms off the top end speeds by choosing the 1433 or 1579. The 1617 is as close as you can get to the 1235 only in a smaller diameter. Makes no sense in this case.

1235 is the best for your application
Old     (Mike88)      Join Date: Aug 2016       07-01-2017, 3:02 PM Reply   
Exactly what I was thinking. 1433 is smaller so lowered rpm for top speed.
But that's better for people who's not surfing. I really don't know why so many people recommend the 1433 for surfing..

Thanks guys.

Last edited by Mike88; 07-01-2017 at 3:03 PM. Reason: Tapping
Old     (Dandy21)      Join Date: May 2016       07-01-2017, 7:00 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike88 View Post
Exactly what I was thinking. 1433 is smaller so lowered rpm for top speed.
But that's better for people who's not surfing. I really don't know why so many people recommend the 1433 for surfing..

Thanks guys.
Mike, on the Tige forum, you will see the 1433 recomme fed a lot for the Z1. I know there are some clearance issues relative to the trailer on the 2013 and there may be some hull clearance issues as well. If memory is correct, they recommend 3/4" between prop amd hull to avoid burn. Keep in mind as well that an increase of 1/2" diameter will only reduce clearance by 1/4"
Old     (infinitysurf)      Join Date: Apr 2017       07-01-2017, 7:12 PM Reply   
Bigger does not mean better. Every boat is a little different and actually, the 1433 prop was the re -designed 1235 due to a trailer clearance issue that some boats had. They are VERY close to the same. 1235 is 14.5 X 14.25....and the 1433 is 14.25 X 14.25...then the 1847 is also 14.25 X 14.25 but slightly different cup.
I run the 1433 on my boat which is a 2014 SV244, I love it cause its such a great prop for low end. I run up to 4,900lbs of ballast in my 7,000lb boat (with fuel and gear), plus up to 8 people and still have no issue with power and getting to surf speed and even beyond (have pushed it to 14mph fully loaded and stopped there. I have the ZR409 engine (3200rpm listed surfing and 3400rpm using suck gate with added ballast weight). Tho I expected to lose more top end, I still get 40mph WOT with no ballast and 4-6 people. Put simply, I love it and there is no better prop for MY boat. I keep the 1847 as my spare, almost exactly the same (.105 vs .150 cup)....so 1847 would have a small amount more of top end vs low end torque.
That said, the 1235 has been one of the most popular surf props out there and many boats come with it installed as the "high altitude" prop. My boat came with the 1235...while i did a great job under normal conditions, it DID struggle when I added all the weight, so I switched and sold it.

1235 should do great for you (your boat is 4ft shorter than mine so would likely never "struggle" with weight)....guess it boils down to how much ballast and people you surf with. Overall, I think any of these will do a great job for your boat.....some people have said that a prop that is very close to diameter and pitch does the best and all of these do that.

My only comment just to make you think...if you ALREADY have a 1235....is that what you want for a spare? You may want something a little MORE agrressive, or something a little LESS aggressive as your spare (none of these 3 mentioned). Cause even if you ding your prop, you will get it repaired and you will still have it unless you really mess it up, so you may want options in case you change your mind about what you may want to do down road, same prop does not offer any options. Just a thought,
Old     (Mike88)      Join Date: Aug 2016       07-02-2017, 5:33 AM Reply   
Yes totally understand your thought!
I'm on a rocky lake so a spare ready is always welcome, each year few messed up his prop and they are always not repairable haha. Already scrap 2 with my older boat and I learned how to change it Correctly so next time it happens I'm gonna be ready. We never know, i know the lake pretty damn well now but when I'm surfing my wife or a friend can be bad lucked.

For the prop I'm not an expert. I read the acme suggestion and many thread here or tigeowners. Comes up with the thought that these 2 ones was the best for my boat so why looking something else.
I like my 1235 but I never tried anything either so I can't tell but it's not a little bit risky to change for a totally different prop? Like you said it's always preferable to keep the closest diameter and pitch than the oem.

And yeah I did struggle once. With all my ballast full and 8 adult in the boat. I struggled to go up a 12mph

What would you suggest For a spare tho?
Old     (infinitysurf)      Join Date: Apr 2017       07-02-2017, 9:38 AM Reply   
If you struggled a bit with that 1235 when maxed out, I suggest you get the 1433 as a spare. It is only slightly smaller diameter (14.25 vs 14.5), so wont change much on your top end speed, but should be enough down low so there is no struggle fully loaded. That said, I am no expert...just know these props due to my experience on my boat.
Old     (scottb7)      Join Date: Oct 2012       07-02-2017, 5:04 PM Reply   
This is a very simple question to me...Do you want more top end mph, or more power? You can't have both. More power means quicker on plane and can haul more weight, but you will give up top end mph....
Old     (infinitysurf)      Join Date: Apr 2017       07-02-2017, 7:29 PM Reply   
I agree with your statement with majority of props. In last few years, they have really been able to fine tune some of the surf boat props that give you a lot of the low end torque without giving up a lot on the top end. My 1433 (and 1847) can pull a car off bottom of lake....but still does 40mph on top end with ZR409 engine which is a mid-level engine with 492ftlbs of torque (Hell, I never go over 30mph...its a recreational boat, not made for speed nor do I care to go fast). Other thing I did not mention before is that I average 4.5gph of fuel with this prop whether cruising or surfing...Centurion and Tige have great hulls for fuel economy if set up right, when I bought boat I figured 7-8gph would be average so it was a nice surprise. Obviously every boat is gonna react different, but the 1433 is only 1/4" less diameter than the 1235. So I highly doubt you are gonna lose more than 1-2mph on top end but will definitely feel the low end torque improve. No matter what, you will lose a little of one to gain the other tho. Again, this is my experience and may be different on another boat.
Old     (Mike88)      Join Date: Aug 2016       07-03-2017, 8:27 AM Reply   
Thanks everybody for all your comments. Really helps me!
Yeah simple question.. but I doubt anyone wants just top ends or more power
In my case just want the props that gonna satisfied my needs
And like D said, it should not be a huge difference between to 2. Loosing 1 or 2 miles on the top end should not be so tragic.
When we primary surfing even when I ski I never put the boat at the top. Maybe 28mph max.
Old     (scottb7)      Join Date: Oct 2012       07-03-2017, 2:01 PM Reply   
"but I doubt anyone wants just top ends or more power"....mike what do you mean? those are the choices with propellers...you want the propeller to provide a cheeseburger and fries?

"In my case just want the props that gonna satisfied my needs"...mike what do you mean? are you unable to share or do you not know what you want?
Old     (xstarrider)      Join Date: Jun 2007       07-03-2017, 8:00 PM Reply   
Quote:
=Dandy21;1962212]Mike, on the Tige forum, you will see the 1433 recomme fed a lot for the Z1. I know there are some clearance issues relative to the trailer on the 2013 and there may be some hull clearance issues as well. If memory is correct, they recommend 3/4" between prop amd hull to avoid burn. Keep in mind as well that an increase of 1/2" diameter will only reduce clearance by 1/4"
You will see a ton of info for the 1433 because of that clearance issue. It's was the best smaller
Diameter option to the 1235 until Acme recently released the 1617. The 1617 is now the top dog in performance. Acme claimed the designe gets you the performance of the 1235 if the smaller package with the 1617. The 1433 is still a solid prop , but if you're wanting the best prop for a heavy boat with lots of ballast and you're restricted in diameter , the 1617 is it.

Last edited by xstarrider; 07-03-2017 at 8:06 PM.
Old     (infinitysurf)      Join Date: Apr 2017       07-03-2017, 10:06 PM Reply   
1617 is even smaller at 14x13.75, its the "top dog in performance", but almost exclusively for surf specific boats maxed out with ballast where you are not gonna do much else. If that were the case it would probably be the prop, but Mike still wants to be able to ski without being at 5000rpm. The point is to gain a little more low end and not lose much upper end in the process, you can have both despite what Scott's brain is capable of comprehending. Mike, your best bet is to call ACME or Nettle Props and talk to them....they are the real experts since people report back to them on the results.
Old     (scottb7)      Join Date: Oct 2012       07-03-2017, 10:18 PM Reply   
Thanks. You're right I can't comprehend that happening. If Mike wanted to hear from experts he would not have posted on this forum...Thank goodness we have you, a big D.

P.S. I guess I can "comprehend" the possibility of being wrong. Can you?

Last edited by scottb7; 07-03-2017 at 10:25 PM.
Old     (racer808)      Join Date: Jan 2013       07-04-2017, 6:37 AM Reply   
Just for reference I have my boat propped down to push 5400 pounds. It will do about 27mph @ 4500rpm unloaded and it's terrible for pulling tubes for some reason. Other than surfing my boats rather useless with this prop.
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       07-04-2017, 11:36 AM Reply   
The 1433 and 1617 are both the same size at 14" diameter. The difference between the two is pitch. Thats the angle of the blades and a theoretical distance traveled during a rotation. The trade off is the lower pitch is more aggressive on the bottom end and the higher pitch runs faster at lower rpm.
Old     (Mike88)      Join Date: Aug 2016       07-04-2017, 4:36 PM Reply   
Sorry Scott English is not my primary language so it's kind of hard to make my ideas clear haha.. what I was meaning is what's the difference between the 2. And after choosing what really fit my needs!
I mean, it's good to have both top speed and power.. not just one or the other.
In my case like I said in the first post
I'm surfing but skiing too so yeah I need power when we're full weighted but I need top speed too because skiing need to run pretty fast. And I'm making a stretch too, my lake is shaped like a "P" a long stretch before arriving at "the lake" I like to speed a little bit after a long day surfing to back home. But that's details I just wanted to know if the 1433 was really better and not loosing like 10mph on the top speed
Loosing a mile or 2 is not dramatic.

Last edited by Mike88; 07-04-2017 at 4:43 PM. Reason: Tapping
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       07-04-2017, 5:09 PM Reply   
For what you are looking for, the 1433 is a better choice then the 1617. However, with the 1433 and 1235 having the same pitch, I think at ski speed, you will see higher RPMs with the 1433 then you see now with the 1235. This is a result of the 1433's smaller diameter. Not much higher, but higher, not lower rpm.
Old     (infinitysurf)      Join Date: Apr 2017       07-04-2017, 9:39 PM Reply   
Yep, you will likely have slightly higher rpm at ski speed which is why your WOT will top out at little less mph.
Sure Scott, I am wrong sometimes and happy to admit it when that happens and pointed out the fact that it was MY experience and the boats are different so it may not be the same for him. Its obvious English is not his first language, no reason to be a Di*k to him which is why I made that comment, we are all here to help each other. Sure you and I will have question down road that we would hope others will be able to help us with. Truce
Old     (xstarrider)      Join Date: Jun 2007       07-05-2017, 10:14 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by infinitysurf View Post
1617 is even smaller at 14x13.75, its the "top dog in performance", but almost exclusively for surf specific boats maxed out with ballast where you are not gonna do much else. If that were the case it would probably be the prop, but Mike still wants to be able to ski without being at 5000rpm. The point is to gain a little more low end and not lose much upper end in the process, you can have both despite what Scott's brain is capable of comprehending. Mike, your best bet is to call ACME or Nettle Props and talk to them....they are the real experts since people report back to them on the results.
Well I happen to be very versed in the prop game . Kinda what the forum is about and why the people who know are chiming in. Mike specifically stated he surfs 80% of the time. Which leaves 20% to split tubing and skiing , which means 10% actually skiing. I run the 1617 in my 210. I slalom quite a bit . I am not anywhere near 5k on the Rpms when I am running 33.5mph. Not even close. My WOT gets me 40.3 at the 5k rpm. I lost maybe .5-.75 mph off the top end.

Mike stated he surfs 80% of the time. The fuel savings on hole shot from the 1617 picking up downed surfers all day ,for 80% of your day, will far outweigh the loss of 10% percent ski speed time and usually a single hole shot. So yes talking about the "top dog " prop for a boat that pushes max ballast 80% of the time is the proper recommendation. Now if he wants to drop Rpms and that is his primary concern .........1617 to 1433 will drop your Rpms roughly 200 Rpms at ski speeds ...... 1433 to 1579 will again drop ski speeds another 200 Rpms. The rpm drop however is not linear through the curve. At wakesurf and wakeboard speeds it's almost negligeable , It doesn't kick in til you get to the 30-33mph range to be noticeable.

I tested every prop (1235,1617,1433, 1579) and logged all the data like I have been doing for the past 20yrs. Sent the guys at Acme, who I know personally all the data , as well as the guys at Nettle's who lent me all the props. But hey what do I know , real world numbers don't mean anything.

Last edited by xstarrider; 07-05-2017 at 10:23 AM.
Old     (Mike88)      Join Date: Aug 2016       07-05-2017, 2:11 PM Reply   
Thanks to all. And good shot D haha
I was thinking the same thing we are all here to help heach other that's it.
Sometimes I help people with their concern on surf side or tubing their ballast cause I really know these things but for props I really have little knowledge.
We all have our pos and cons.

Ending up.. my stock prop is a acme 537. All spec said 1235 and my seller too. But yesterday I was checking the prop and I was like.. man this thing is surely not 14" and it's not square either.
So I grab my tape and guess what it's 13,5x16 (acme 537)

So back to the beginning! What's the pos and cons of the 537?

After reading you all i think I will go with the 1235.
As everyone says more top, less power than the 1433
Yeah we're 80% surfing but I'm getting older now and it's my first summer on ski. And I have to say, pretty love it!
So it don't surprise me that next summer it can be 70-30.
For my needs I think I will the 1235 makes the best overall.

But now it's the difference between the 537 and 1235 haha sorry guys!
I really think I'm gonna change it and keep my 537 for spare if it's a big positive modification.
(I've said earlier that I had some struggle one time when fully weighted with many people in the boat with the 1235 BUT I wasn't thinking that was my prop so it change many things)

And thanks to all of you

Last edited by Mike88; 07-05-2017 at 2:12 PM. Reason: Tapping
Old     (scottb7)      Join Date: Oct 2012       07-05-2017, 3:48 PM Reply   
Yeah, good shot...The truce is over. Cause the guy you rep for don't know when to shut up.

Just kidding...
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       07-05-2017, 4:15 PM Reply   
Nothing really changes, now you just know where the bar is currently set. The 1433, 1617 and 1235 will all be an upgrade of some degree, to the 537.
Old     (infinitysurf)      Join Date: Apr 2017       07-05-2017, 5:29 PM Reply   
lol
Old     (gene3x)      Join Date: Apr 2005 Location: Dallas , TX       07-07-2017, 10:33 AM Reply   
What about the Acme 2315 ? I have hear that it pulls better than the 1235 but does take some top end off. I bought it but have not had a chance to run it as my boat sank recently. Has anyone used the 2315 and can give us feedback?
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       07-07-2017, 12:01 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike88 View Post
So back to the beginning! What's the pos and cons of the 537?
And thanks to all of you
537 will get about 2000 lbs up and outta the hole every time. Your WOT should be about 40 with that prop having 16" pitch.

Not a bad backup prop, but there's definitely more on the table in terms of ideal surf props.