Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (silverlude)      Join Date: Apr 2004       09-10-2012, 6:41 PM Reply   
Saw brief news story but wondering if anyone knows what happened? "50+ boats and slips burned". Terrible loss to that area tho, have always gone there when we stay at Deerfield resort and they are always great to us. Excellent service,really good folks ect.... hope they can rebound and rebuild. If anyone can post the pics or story would appreciate it,can't seem to get it to work.
Old    LR3w8kbrdr            09-10-2012, 7:17 PM Reply   
Damn...did G-rides boardshop get mangled too by the fire?
Old     (DealsGapCobra)      Join Date: May 2010       09-11-2012, 6:31 AM Reply   
Heard this on the news this morning too.

http://www.knoxnews.com/news/2012/se...n-norris-lake/
Old    LR3w8kbrdr            09-11-2012, 6:55 AM Reply   
Damn...then Id say the shop is gone. Hopefully no one was hurt! One of my favorite places to go up there...know the owners too. Guess theyll be rebuilding like every other marina has done up there

Old     (silverlude)      Join Date: Apr 2004       09-11-2012, 7:43 AM Reply   
From news report the main office,gas pump area and G-Rides shop was not affected thankfully. Would have hated to see them have to rebuild all that stuff. They are really good folks there and treat customers really well. Glad to hear no one was injured ect...so sorry to hear of the loss of peoples boats tho. Saw one story that some folks had no insurance on their boats,? Hard lesson learned there.
Old    LR3w8kbrdr            09-11-2012, 7:58 AM Reply   
Thanks for the update! Good to hear, saw like 58 boats were affected.
Old     (nitrousbird)      Join Date: Sep 2008       09-11-2012, 10:19 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverlude View Post
Saw one story that some folks had no insurance on their boats,? Hard lesson learned there.
If that's true, I can't feel sorry for those people. Boat insurance is cheap (compared to home/car insurance) - if you can afford to rent a slip there is no excuse for not having insurance on your boat.
Old     (wakebrdjay)      Join Date: Apr 2008       09-11-2012, 10:26 AM Reply   
Not to mention if they are careless and cause damage to someones boat they probably have no way to compensate that person.
Old     (davenk)      Join Date: Feb 2008       09-11-2012, 10:44 AM Reply   
Something similar just happend in Houston recently, but it was storage units on the ground, what a mess. I believe that one was also suspected to be started by a battery charger. http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/story?se...cal&id=8801362

How many use a battery charger? I haven't used a battery charger on my boats ever. I have a perko switch and don't have any draw on my batteries, I was just always a little nervous about leaving a battery charger hooked up to my batteries while away, if they are bad a buy new batteris. I never had a dead battery either.
Old     (antoddio)      Join Date: Dec 2006       09-11-2012, 11:16 AM Reply   
I would never charge a battery if I was not present. I don't get the point of on board chargers on a wakeboat, unless you pound your music really hard and then immediately pull it out of the water. A 60 amp alternator is going to charge a depleted battery pretty quick. For winter pull the batts and charge once per month. Even then they take so little charge (about 10 minutes of trickle charge) I sometimes doubt it's even worth it, but I'll still do it.
Old     (Houstonshark)      Join Date: Jan 2011       09-11-2012, 11:55 AM Reply   
I have a pretty large stereo bank (450Ah) and in order to protect and hopefully prolong not only the batteries but also the alternator, I leave my boat plugged into the charger anytime the boat is not in the water. I have a perko switch wired through an automatic charging relay so sometimes if we run the stereo really hard, the voltage will drop to the point where the ACR will not stay closed so the alternator does not recharge the stereo bank. Usually, if needed, I'll bypass the ACR and let the alternator (100A) apply a bit of a charge to them.

I bought a nice Xantrex Truecharge 2 40A charger that is wired onboard the boat and plugged into a GFI outlet. This charger is a 2 (bulk, absorption), 3 (bulk, absorption, float) or even 4 stage (bulk, absorption, float and equalization) charger. I use it with their battery temperature sensor and I always open the battery compartments to make sure they have plenty of airflow. I also have a fan that stays on in the garage, blowing air into the boat.

I do have the ability to remotely turn off the outlet that the charger is plugged into if I wanted to but unless it is going to be there for awhile, unused, I just see any reason to turn it off. I feel much more comfortable leaving it plugged in while we are not there and usually unplug it once we get there. If something is going to happen, I am glad for it to happen while no one is home.

Here's a quote from a review of the charger:

"I’m often asked if it’s permissible to leave the RV plugged into shore power during lengthy periods of non-use. I usually warn against such a practice primarily because it’s likely the battery bank will be over-charged by a typically mediocre converter/charger at some point and literally boil the electrolyte out of the batteries. Over-charging a flooded, wet cell battery (lead-acid and lead-calcium) produces dangerous gasses containing hydrogen and oxygen. I’ve personally witnessed exploding batteries in the shop during an improper charging cycle; it ain’t pretty (see my sidebar note below).

With the Truecharge2, the over-charging concern mentioned above is totally eliminated. Under normal circumstance (the absence of 12-volt DC anomalies), it is now possible to leave the RV plugged into shore power continuously, even without adult supervision. Here’s why, once the battery bank enters the Float stage and no 12-volt device is energized, it will stay in float for seven days or until the voltage falls below 12.5 volts for fifteen minutes. Assuming nothing is draining amperage out of the battery bank, after the seventh day, the Truecharge2 again begins its charging algorhythm anew, just to keep the batteries refreshed. Because of the integral design principles, the proper charging sequence remains in effect for as long as the Truecharge2 is powered by the 120-volt AC electrical supply."

Here's the link to the review:

http://www.rvdoctor.com/2011/03/prod...uecharge2.html
Old     (patrick232)      Join Date: Aug 2008       09-11-2012, 6:04 PM Reply   
Springs and Grides is our fist stop when we hit the water at Norris Lake. Sorry to hear about the loss and could not imagine what Brian was thinking looking down the hill from his house and seeing the fire. The drive around the cove must have felt like it took forever for him.
Old     (e_puppy)      Join Date: Jan 2009       09-13-2012, 7:34 AM Reply   
This is definitely a sad thing to happen for all the people and the property that was lost. I just dont understand why anyone would not have insurance on the boat that they have made a investment of time and money. The couple hundred dollars a year to give piece of mind that their boat would be covered in case of a something would be worth the investment. Now they are going to have to pay out of pocket to retrieve a boat that is damaged and sank to the bottom of the lake. I guess lesson learned. As far as the people that own and work the marina I think the workers are some of the best on the water. Always friendly and willing to help out whenever they can to help. This definitely a loss but it is only property and those things can be replaced, thankfully nobody got hurt or this could have been a lot worse.