Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (ottoak)      Join Date: Jul 2014       07-20-2014, 11:38 AM Reply   
Hi, does anyone know the difference between the boards on the shredstixx website and the shredstixxusa one? Im looking into possibly getting one and wanted to know whats up with the two different sites. Thanks!
Old     (BenHolloway)      Join Date: Aug 2012       07-20-2014, 5:47 PM Reply   
China or no China, Shredstixxusa boards are built by Nick here in the states... the other sites boards are the "offshore" production models.
Old     (ottoak)      Join Date: Jul 2014       07-21-2014, 6:12 AM Reply   
So are the offshore boards still good quality boards? Or would it be worth it to spend a little extra and go with the USA built ones?
Old     (Chaos)      Join Date: Apr 2010       07-21-2014, 6:45 AM Reply   
For most purposes what Ben is saying is correct. Shredstixxusa is an online outlet for Custom Shred Stixx and Chaos wakesurfboards and products. It includes all the most up to date 2014 designs by Chaos Surf Company.

Shredstixx is nothing but a front for slayshtank an online dealer with a horrible customer service reputation. s-tank is not an authorized dealer for the chaos designed products and has included them on their website by grabbing copyrighted content from shredstixxusa to trick customers into buying boards they cannot supply, and will then offer to sell them other products in exchange for the funds already paid. Bait and switch, which is not only illegal but simply not good business practice.

The 'Semi Pro', 'Ringer', 'Nano', 'Skywalker', 'Chaos Carbon Sixer', "99 Spooner", 'Carbon Skim' are all copyrighted designs owned by Chaos Surf Company. 'Shred Stixx' is a trademark owned by Chaos Surf Company.
Old     (ottoak)      Join Date: Jul 2014       07-21-2014, 7:01 AM Reply   
Thanks nick. Last question, I noticed that if I choose to buy a board on the shredstixxusa site, it says it includes a free set of fins, but when i click buy it doesnt say anything about that and just lists fins at full price, if I do buy it will it ship with fins or is there anything i have to do, like use a promo code?
Old     (loudelectronics)      Join Date: Sep 2013       07-21-2014, 7:19 AM Reply   
Alex,

I would contact Nick directly. He is great to deal with and will answer your questions via email.

The boards he is putting out are stellar. The new sixxer is great! The ringer is just that, a ringer, a great board for everything you want to do. Have yet to try the others yet.

I had a buddy back in the spring order a shredstixx through the shredstixx site as I was not aware of the difference. Cant remember what board it was but they did exactly what Nick said. He ordered one board and they sent him a used demo of another. Took them an extremely long time to ship and he said they were very rude to deal with and now not really happy as it is not a good board for him. When dealing with NIck, he is always prompt, courteous and no BS. So make sure to go through the shredstixxusa site.
Old     (Chaos)      Join Date: Apr 2010       07-21-2014, 7:20 AM Reply   
Alex. Yes the board will come with premium fins. I did have a promo code for use in the past, but due to system constraints it did not work as seamlessly as I had hoped.
You do not need to add fins.

Nick
Old     (BenHolloway)      Join Date: Aug 2012       07-21-2014, 8:45 AM Reply   
I always wondered what the story is, buy from Nick solid dude and always available to answer questions, give advice, etc...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos View Post
For most purposes what Ben is saying is correct. Shredstixxusa is an online outlet for Custom Shred Stixx and Chaos wakesurfboards and products. It includes all the most up to date 2014 designs by Chaos Surf Company.

Shredstixx is nothing but a front for slayshtank an online dealer with a horrible customer service reputation. s-tank is not an authorized dealer for the chaos designed products and has included them on their website by grabbing copyrighted content from shredstixxusa to trick customers into buying boards they cannot supply, and will then offer to sell them other products in exchange for the funds already paid. Bait and switch, which is not only illegal but simply not good business practice.

The 'Semi Pro', 'Ringer', 'Nano', 'Skywalker', 'Chaos Carbon Sixer', "99 Spooner", 'Carbon Skim' are all copyrighted designs owned by Chaos Surf Company. 'Shred Stixx' is a trademark owned by Chaos Surf Company.
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       07-22-2014, 6:42 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos View Post
The 'Semi Pro', 'Ringer', 'Nano', 'Skywalker', 'Chaos Carbon Sixer', "99 Spooner", 'Carbon Skim' are all copyrighted designs owned by Chaos Surf Company.
Copyright is a form of intellectual property applicable to any expressible form of an idea or information that is substantive and discrete. It's for things like written works and photographs. How do you "copyright" a surfboard design? Don't you usually need a patent in order to claim ownership of a design?
Old     (Chaos)      Join Date: Apr 2010       07-22-2014, 8:53 PM Reply   
Surfboard designs are copyrighted works. There are numerous test cases. Designs can be patented as well or features of a design can be patented, but they rarely are.
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       07-22-2014, 9:02 PM Reply   
Can you post a link to one of these test cases? Is it something for which you register or does it just become copyrighted by virtue of you being the first to create that particular shape? I'd love to learn more about this because I was always under the impression that copyrights were for words and photos.
Old     (Chaos)      Join Date: Apr 2010       07-22-2014, 9:06 PM Reply   
Whether surfboard designs or not, the clear copyright infringement can be found in images and content created by me and copied from my website and place on another website to intentionally defraud the public.
Old     (jdhart73)      Join Date: Mar 2010       07-22-2014, 9:23 PM Reply   
You could copyright the art on a surfboard but not the board itself. You can also copyright the images of boards you have taken and that are on your website.
You cannot copyright design features or shapes, that is patent territory.
Old     (Chaos)      Join Date: Apr 2010       07-22-2014, 9:25 PM Reply   
Copyright protects all manner of art, not just words and photographs. Words and photographs are the most common applications, especially in our digital world.

One of the most famous fairly recent copyright infringement cases regarding surfboards, and particularly surfboard design/art is Havassy vs. Abercrombie and Fitch
Old     (jdhart73)      Join Date: Mar 2010       07-22-2014, 9:32 PM Reply   
That was focused around his art and re-creation of the boards with said art. Sounds like Slayshtank is posting pics of your boards without authorization and has no access to your boards. That is just outright crime, the copyright infringement could be pursued on them using images of yours on the site if you did not authorize them to do so.
Old     (Chaos)      Join Date: Apr 2010       07-22-2014, 10:00 PM Reply   
Jake I completely agree. The havassy case dwelled a little deeper into all manners for the copying of the boards, that is the Holister replicas were copies of the design/shape, the artwork, and the beaten up artificial aging of the boards to mimic the original board.

On a side note, architectural works are copyrightable and defined as 'the design of a building embodied in any tangible medium of expression, including a building, architectural plans, or drawings'.

I would argue there is essential no difference between the design of a surfboard and architectural work.

Nevertheless, none of this really matters. Nor is is helpful to people. There is no money in surfboards, especially manufacturing surfboards. It is unfortunate that so many seem hell bent on exploiting those that truly love to work with this medium as their expression of art.
Old     (jdhart73)      Join Date: Mar 2010       07-23-2014, 8:26 PM Reply   
Take them to the cleaners.....cease and desist works well for stuff like that no?
Old     (Chaos)      Join Date: Apr 2010       07-23-2014, 9:18 PM Reply   
Typically, yes, Cease and Desist letters do work well, except some people choose to ignore them. Oh the stories I could tell.
Old     (newwhit)      Join Date: Mar 2007       07-26-2014, 9:02 AM Reply   
this is good to know. i cant believe they (slayshtank) actually do that...
Old     (MCObray)      Join Date: Mar 2013       07-26-2014, 1:33 PM Reply   
Informative thread. I like these kinds.
Old     (Chaos)      Join Date: Apr 2010       08-01-2014, 7:59 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by loudelectronics View Post
Alex,

I would contact Nick directly. He is great to deal with and will answer your questions via email.

The boards he is putting out are stellar. The new sixxer is great! The ringer is just that, a ringer, a great board for everything you want to do. Have yet to try the others yet.

I had a buddy back in the spring order a shredstixx through the shredstixx site as I was not aware of the difference. Cant remember what board it was but they did exactly what Nick said. He ordered one board and they sent him a used demo of another. Took them an extremely long time to ship and he said they were very rude to deal with and now not really happy as it is not a good board for him. When dealing with NIck, he is always prompt, courteous and no BS. So make sure to go through the shredstixxusa site.
Tristan,

If you send me the contact information for your friend, I will do my best to get him set up with a board he will enjoy,or get him what he originally ordered, even if I have to pull one from a dealer. People should be stoked on their board, and the buying process, not unhappy.

Nick