Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       07-16-2015, 9:05 PM Reply   
http://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2015...-minimum-wage/
Attached Images

Old     (cadunkle)      Join Date: Jul 2009 Location: NJ       07-17-2015, 5:24 AM Reply   
Gee, didn't see that coming... Good on them for making a more efficient operation and canning employees. It's what the liberals wanted.
Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       07-17-2015, 6:57 AM Reply   
Those don't work. Arby's, here in Colorado, tried them out for awhile a few years back and they wound up taking them out because they had to staff the machine. Turns out that your average fast food customer is about as smart as the average fast food worker and when they stepped up to those things, it's like they were clueless. You've seen those same people in the self checkout line at the grocery store, some people get it but a lot don't.
Old     (skiboarder)      Join Date: Oct 2006       07-17-2015, 8:56 AM Reply   
A lot of places in Japan uses those.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       07-17-2015, 11:45 AM Reply   
Timmy: I feel ya people are SLOW to take on self check out. I admit I always look for a open Cashier at Home Depot first before making my way to the self check out.
Old habits die hard and sometime a Item will not scan or it needs a Human approval/override to let you buy a item (like spray paint) you have to be 18. But I would think with a company like Mc Donalds the touch screen could be Pictures only and the dumbest of the dumb could even operate them.

But more to your point. I still come across STUPID people that have a hard time pumping their own gas. They look and interact with the Gas pump as its the first time they have ever come across such a machine!
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       07-17-2015, 11:51 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by grant_west View Post
But more to your point. I still come across STUPID people that have a hard time pumping their own gas. They look and interact with the Gas pump as its the first time they have ever come across such a machine!
Oregonians?
Old     (magicr)      Join Date: May 2004       07-17-2015, 1:11 PM Reply   
Quote:
Oregonians?
Hey hey hey... True. Pumping your own gas is confusing, and it's better left up to the professionals, plus it put my son through college. What's funny is when you get Californians coming up here and try to pump their own. Just relax......
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       07-17-2015, 1:17 PM Reply   
I'm old enough to remember when robots and automation was supposed to make our lives easier and give us more leisure time. Turns out that they were simply a way to put people out of work and concentrate wealth at the top. Even in the absence of automation we were able to accomplish the same task by employing low wage impoverished labor in other countries. The drawback to that is we are exporting our economy and it must be replenished by printing money and loaning it to the govt or giving it to bond holders as charity. How ironic about automation that instead of making life easier it put people out of work so those who still have jobs can ridicule them as worthless even if they do have work sweating away at service jobs.
Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       07-17-2015, 1:35 PM Reply   
From what I remember, the touch screens were fine as long as you didn't want to customize your order.
Old    bigdtx            07-17-2015, 3:02 PM Reply   
If you're eating at McDonald's then you should expect a major hit - whether it's to your wallet or digestive system - or in most cases - both.
Old     (cowwboy)      Join Date: Jul 2008       07-20-2015, 5:42 AM Reply   
John,
Automation didn't kill our industrial industry. The EPA did.
This is coming from someone who does automation and makes money on the fact that the EPA is crushing our manufacturing industry (emissions testing).
Old     (jhartt3)      Join Date: Jan 2012       07-20-2015, 5:56 AM Reply   
automation keeps jobs in this country... OMG you have to actually know something to work rather than just putting chips into boxes that a machine can do more efficiently
Old    bigdtx            07-20-2015, 7:27 AM Reply   
It's not just this country. I read Sammy Hagar's book "Red" (great read by the way: http://www.amazon.com/Red-My-Uncenso.../dp/006200929X) where he talks about when he sold Cabo Wabo Tequila to a company in Italy (I think the one that makes Campari if I recall correctly). During the process they toured one of the factories in Italy - the guy said they had overhauled the entire place several years earlier and went from over 100 employees down to 5 and of course efficiency improved dramatically.

I don't really care about robots working on assembly lines - that ship has sailed. I just wish they would hurry up and get self driving cars so I can jump in the back seat and tell it where to go and let me know when we get there.
Old     (DenverRider)      Join Date: Feb 2013       07-20-2015, 8:52 AM Reply   
Screw self driving cars - where's my flying car?? I thought it was supposed to be like the Jetsons by now. Homes on stilts towering above the slums below and jobs where all you do is push a button all day making cogs or sprockets.
Old     (ord27)      Join Date: Oct 2005       07-22-2015, 2:53 PM Reply   
the short sighted liberals and government is amazing

stupid, just plain stupid

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2015...s-follow-suit/
Old     (JJwake)      Join Date: May 2014       07-22-2015, 3:08 PM Reply   
McDonalds blows. No customer service. No customer relationships. Sometimes no English.

McDonalds needs to fire everyone, except for one front supervisor and one cook at each location, then hire 1099 performance based employees to run the rest of the show. Maybe then, they will actually try treating you like a customer if they are making commission off of your big mac.

Pricks.
Old     (digg311)      Join Date: Sep 2007       07-22-2015, 3:34 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by ord27 View Post
the short sighted liberals and government is amazing

stupid, just plain stupid

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2015...s-follow-suit/
Wait... so this article is using what? One business as a source? And not even hard numbers there... just that "several workers want to work less"?

The fact is that the $15 min wage here has been much more successful than many people predicted. Restaurants are't closing. Permits for new ones remain steady and those that have closed since the wage was instituted have been polled, and they state across the board that the wage hike did not precipitate their closure.

Some people in the Seatac area were working two jobs prior to the new wage. And now they're working one... making them be able to "work less"... that is, less than 70-80+ hours per week. This allows them to be present in their spouse and children's lives... which I'd say is pretty valuable. This also creates a job opening for someone else.

Are there people out there that are likely to game the system? Sure. But acting like this law is adding to it or causing it is completely misguided. Far from "Stupid"... the higher min wage has been pretty darn successful.
Old     (ord27)      Join Date: Oct 2005       07-22-2015, 3:42 PM Reply   
I own 2 mom and pop restaurants. I know what it would do to my stores. I would have to pass it on to the consumer. Consumers punish restaurants for increasing prices. I've seen it for decades.

I will stand by my comment. stupid and short sided
Old     (digg311)      Join Date: Sep 2007       07-22-2015, 4:45 PM Reply   
Quote:
Consumers punish restaurants for increasing prices. I've seen it for decades.
Of course they do. And in a vacuum, they still would. But we're not talking about one restaurant trying to increase its profits and seeing a backlash from an established consumer base. We're talking about an entire community where the increase in expenditure is level across the board for all restaurants and where people in that community are also reaping the rewards of increased cash flow. It's symbiotic.
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       07-22-2015, 5:12 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by digg311 View Post
Wait... so this article is using what? One business as a source? And not even hard numbers there... just that "several workers want to work less"?
That's enough for Faux News fans.
Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       07-22-2015, 5:24 PM Reply   
God forbid a business take less profit so some other's can live a decent life. Kind of crazy that poverty, middle class and upper middle class are all separated by what, $50k a year? and then you have millionaires and billionaires....
Old     (Jmorlan)      Join Date: May 2013       07-22-2015, 5:29 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by timmyb View Post
God forbid a business take less profit so some other's can live a decent life. Kind of crazy that poverty, middle class and upper middle class are all separated by what, $50k a year? and then you have millionaires and billionaires....
Did you forget bow business works, or..?
Old     (aricsx15)      Join Date: Jan 2014       07-22-2015, 7:20 PM Reply   
Do people not remember what these types of jobs are for? For people of school age learning the value of money and instilling hard working values into them. No one should work at McDonald's and expect 15 dollars an hour, to support your family? Really? This is what is wrong with liberal America, doing a job an actual monkey could do, and expect that much an hour to do it. Handouts handouts handouts, that's what modern day America is made out of! Go get an education, better yourself, your family and society as people that expect this pay is what is destroying our society and economy.
Old     (magicr)      Join Date: May 2004       07-22-2015, 7:50 PM Reply   
Quote:
Do people not remember what these types of jobs are for? For people of school age learning the value of money
While you're at it we might as well transport ourselves back to the 1960s, the world has changed slightly, and in actuality the minimum wage, has not kept up. I'm getting tired of people picking on the unfortunate, but this is a wakeboard site, so it's to be expected.
Old     (aricsx15)      Join Date: Jan 2014       07-22-2015, 8:19 PM Reply   
There is literally no excuse to be uneducated and work a job like that. School is pretty much free for those who are in said financial bracket. Minimum wage should not keep up, as it encentivises those who work minimum wage to stay at these jobs rather than bettering themselves. You are correct about the world has changing, where college was really only attainable for the wealthy... Nowadays.... ANYONE can to school. Government grants for those who are first of their generation to go to college, along with scholarships for pretty much everything these days! What's the excuse besides laziness? Seriously? minimum wage should stay low so people don't think they can provide for their 8 kids by flipping burgers and getting welfare.
Old     (magicr)      Join Date: May 2004       07-22-2015, 8:50 PM Reply   
Quote:
What's the excuse besides laziness? Seriously? minimum wage should stay low so people don't think they can provide for their 8 kids by flipping burgers and getting welfare.
Nice stereotype of a very small percentage of the populace. You should be proud that you are such a success, bravo.
Old     (aricsx15)      Join Date: Jan 2014       07-22-2015, 9:04 PM Reply   
That doesn't answer my question. What's the excuse to not better yourself and get out of relying on a McDonalds job to live? Bravo on your politician like response.
Old     (Jmorlan)      Join Date: May 2013       07-22-2015, 9:12 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by aricsx15 View Post
That doesn't answer my question. What's the excuse to not better yourself and get out of relying on a McDonalds job to live? Bravo on your politician like response.
Because its easier to cop out and get on all the politician pushed assistance programs, and cry wolf for a wage increase. Than to have to work hard to get to a level of affluence.
Schooling, internships, and hard work are much more difficult
I mean, you don't actually want people to actually have to DO SOMETHING, do you?
Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       07-23-2015, 7:32 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by aricsx15 View Post
Well, my Great Aunt was mentally retarded and she could only do a few things but working at McDonalds was one of them (there were also a few other small jobs that she had along the way but that was her favorite). All of her paychecks, money from my great-grandfather and money from the state went to pay for her care at the home she stayed in. Is THAT an ok reason?
Old     (skiboarder)      Join Date: Oct 2006       07-23-2015, 7:46 AM Reply   
John Anderson, You nailed it. Computers and smartphones allow us to do 10x the amount of work that was done only 25-30 years ago. Where did the money go? It is a very interesting discussion.
Old     (DenverRider)      Join Date: Feb 2013       07-23-2015, 8:12 AM Reply   
Is everyone forgetting that these are also the first jobs that our kids get when they enter the work force? How much is the 3.35 that I got in 1986 equal to now? It's my understanding that its equal would be above 12 per hour adjusted for inflation. 3.35 was peanuts when I was a kid. I don't want my kids working for what amounts to only 2 per hour in 1986. After 32 hours per week half my paycheck went to car insurance and the rest went to gasoline, a few games of pool, a movie, and if I was lucky, I had enough to buy a new shirt every few weeks. That was when my employer was allowed to keep me until after 11 pm on a school night. At 7.50 my kids won't even cover their car insurance. If it costs more for my kids to get to work than they earn then why bother having them get a job in the first place??
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       07-23-2015, 8:31 AM Reply   
Who here had a paper route? I did. I rode my bike a few miles just to start. Yes the pay was low and it was a hard job and collections sucked but it taught you the value of money and saving and paying your bill! My route was only 100/150 papers, a big section of it was a large retirement home. (Many addresses/customers at one location) but still rain or shine you had to get it done. And yes times have changed that job doesn't exist now. But still there are other entry level jobs for your kids to do. This Additude that "my kid needs to make $20 or so starting off or it's not worth if for him to go to work" has got to go. People have to start some where. Most jobs can transition you into another job.
Old     (Jmorlan)      Join Date: May 2013       07-23-2015, 9:39 AM Reply   
I worked 2 jobs in high school.
Worked to get ahead in credits, so I was able to leave school early and go to work. Worked washing cars from 11-6, and loaded trucks at ups from 630-midnight. Still graduated with a 3.40gpa. Kids are spoiled and lazy these days. Was good money for being in highschool, allowed me a new truck and clothes/beer/gas money, but obviously after highschool it was time to move on to better things and higher education.
I could not imagine at 26 still living on that income, let alone trying to raise a family later in life on it.
Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       07-23-2015, 9:46 AM Reply   
Shoot, my 15 year old works at the local water park and since she is a part-time, seasonal employee, they are allowed to pay them less than min wage. She only makes like $6.50 an hour picking up trash and wiping down tables and...she loves it! She's happy to be making some money on her own. She already has her eye on the lifeguard position for next year and is set to take the classes necessary to get the certifications. That's how you know you are raising your kid right, when they already know what it takes to move up and make more money and it's their first job. Guess not everyone in America has that motivation though.
Old     (DenverRider)      Join Date: Feb 2013       07-23-2015, 5:15 PM Reply   
At what point did I say that my spoiled brat kids should all get $20 per hour?!?! Why stop the exaggeration there? Why not claim that I think my kids should earn a million dollars a year at their first job? And your 2 jobs J, assuming they were minimum wage, both paid more when adjusted for inflation than a minimum wage job does today. I just want my kids to have the same opportunity that I did. That means something around 12 per hour. It isn't 20 per hour and it still isn't a livable wage that you can raise a family with. It isn't some huge wage that will make my kids spoiled enough to think they shouldn't work hard to get more. It's just the wage that I got at my first job when adjusted for inflation. Why is that so hard to understand? I find it hard to believe that you're so ignorant that you can't figure out what I'm saying so my assumption has to be that either you're a bunch of a holes or you are employers protecting your inflated incomes by oppressing entry level employees. You may as well just kick my kids in the face if you think you can take advantage of them with pathetic wages. My kids will be hard workers and they deserve the same compensation that I received. You sound like the kind of people that would rather get less as long as those below you get MUCH less than if you were to get more but have the wage gap closed because those below you got more as well. Every country in the world has extremely rich people. The difference between us and them is that we have some of the richest poor people in the world. Without that we're just another Haiti or Somalia.
Old     (digg311)      Join Date: Sep 2007       07-23-2015, 5:58 PM Reply   
If the minimum wage had kept up with productivity and inflation since 1968, it would be more than $26 per hour today.
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       07-24-2015, 7:43 AM Reply   
" they deserve"

Pretty much sums up your stance. News flash. They don't deserve ****.
Old     (ord27)      Join Date: Oct 2005       07-24-2015, 8:44 AM Reply   
for me, the problem here is the perception of earnings.

Eric wrote...."or you are employers protecting your inflated incomes"

not every business affected by a radically increased min. wage, is a massive corporation. Not every business makes a profit. The mortality rate of new restaurants is extremely high.

I have been around WW long enough to know that my points aren't going to change anyone's mind.

If you want your kids to make more money, have them learn and work a commission job. My servers make a very good living. The customer gets to choose how much to pay.

Or better yet, next time you go out to eat, leave a tip for the dish washer or the cashier. If everyone did that voluntarily, there would be no need for a minimum wage. Don't want that extra expense?......I understand
Old     (Cabledog)      Join Date: Dec 2013       07-24-2015, 3:05 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by digg311 View Post
Of course they do. And in a vacuum, they still would. But we're not talking about one restaurant trying to increase its profits and seeing a backlash from an established consumer base. We're talking about an entire community where the increase in expenditure is level across the board for all restaurants and where people in that community are also reaping the rewards of increased cash flow. It's symbiotic.
How is it not a vacuum. This is not state or nation wide. All the cities around Sea-Tac are not participating.
Old     (Cabledog)      Join Date: Dec 2013       07-24-2015, 3:10 PM Reply   
Quote:
Who here had a paper route? I did. I rode my bike a few miles just to start. Yes the pay was low and it was a hard job and collections sucked but it taught you the value of money and saving and paying your bill! My route was only 100/150 papers, a big section of it was a large retirement home. (Many addresses/customers at one location) but still rain or shine you had to get it done. And yes times have changed that job doesn't exist now. But still there are other entry level jobs for your kids to do. This Additude that "my kid needs to make $20 or so starting off or it's not worth if for him to go to work" has got to go. People have to start some where. Most jobs can transition you into another job.
I had 2 paper routes growing up. Taught me a lot of my work ethic that I have today.
Old     (ord27)      Join Date: Oct 2005       07-24-2015, 3:34 PM Reply   
digg311, I hope that you aren't claiming that all businesses are in the same boat.

There is no way that there is a level playing field for a small business as compared to it's nation wide chain counter part. Arguing that is just plain ignorant.

If that's not what your are suggesting, I apologize
Old     (barry)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-25-2015, 12:26 AM Reply   
Quote:
If the minimum wage had kept up with productivity and inflation since 1968, it would be more than $26 per hour today.
More importantly, if the dollar had not been foisted in 1933 by an inflationary, fiduciary then fiat artificial replacement, today worth a mere 2.38 cents of its original value, none of this would really be an issue.
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       07-25-2015, 8:46 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by barry View Post
More importantly, if the dollar had not been foisted in 1933 by an inflationary, fiduciary then fiat artificial replacement, today worth a mere 2.38 cents of its original value, none of this would really be an issue.
Except there comes a day when a gold equivalent isn't worth what it needs to be to run an economy. That's what happens when you have a fixed amount of a commodity and an economy that exceeds it's value. Besides, how valuable can something be if you can afford to store all of it in a vault, which makes it virtually of no use.
Old     (barry)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-25-2015, 10:13 AM Reply   
Even with its vast and varying markets, the battle we face returning to a true commodity based system is ideological. The largest problem we would face is not commodity supply, but rather how to honor existing outstanding contracts. There are a number of challenges the United States would face returning to a commodity based system, but supply is the least of the worries.
Old     (DenverRider)      Join Date: Feb 2013       07-25-2015, 11:00 AM Reply   
What you need to realize Cliff is that your enemy isn't your employees or minimum wage. Your enemy is Applebees and Olive Garden driving down the price of your services, running zombie restaurants that don't turn a profit, and herding the stupid with constant advertisement training their simple minds. I would welcome legislation that inhibits the operation of giant chains that often times cause the demise of better small businesses. Of course that would be socialism.
Old     (digg311)      Join Date: Sep 2007       07-25-2015, 6:21 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverRider View Post
What you need to realize Cliff is that your enemy isn't your employees or minimum wage. Your enemy is Applebees and Olive Garden driving down the price of your services, running zombie restaurants that don't turn a profit, and herding the stupid with constant advertisement training their simple minds. I would welcome legislation that inhibits the operation of giant chains that often times cause the demise of better small businesses. Of course that would be socialism.
Precisely. Just like every mom n pop grocer that has been punted into oblivion by Wal*Mart.
Old     (ord27)      Join Date: Oct 2005       07-25-2015, 7:53 PM Reply   
thanks
needing to realize.....that solves everything

now I can go ride the sky ski
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       07-26-2015, 5:57 AM Reply   
Quote:
G, I was also a paper boy. That job doesn't exist anymore in my area for a couple of reasons. First, about 20 years ago the whole paper delivery thing was taken over by adults in cars with huge routes (750+ papers). I believe that they are employees or 1099'd in any event ... collections/billing are all automated and paper... never got a knock on the door from one of these folks.

Second, who takes the newspaper anymore? My favorite section of the paper had always been the classifieds, and craigslist has killed that.
Old     (baitkiller)      Join Date: Jan 2010       07-26-2015, 6:19 AM Reply   
Paper route here, saved enough to buy a dirt bike and tripled the route. That lasted three years until I hit 16. Payed cash for my first car and then got a "real" job. San Diego Tribune too. That Sunday issue was a monster. Lets see, that was 36 years ago. Before the route I rode my bike all over doing odd jobs, mucking stalls, digging footings by hand etc all at around 11 and 12 years old. Rarely do we see this kind of ethic. However I think David Ws boy is doing this sort of thing (applause). My two boys? no way. Coddled entitled spoiled urchins.
Old     (DenverRider)      Join Date: Feb 2013       07-26-2015, 1:39 PM Reply   
So you spoiled your kids and turned them into spoiled urchins but you want to blame your kids for that????? YOU ARE THE PARENT!!! Quit blaming anyone but yourself. My kids have plenty of work ethic and when they start acting like spoiled brats I call them out on it. Take some responsibility for raising your kids. My kids shouldn't get paid 70 cents on the dollar because you didn't know how to raise your kids right.
Old     (ord27)      Join Date: Oct 2005       07-27-2015, 11:17 PM Reply   
Denver
I think you've been smoking some of that Colorado ganga
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       07-28-2015, 6:10 AM Reply   
my own kids have NOT "worked" as hard as I did at the same age, but I've had the luxury as a parent to provide a life where they don't feel the need to get that supplemental income. So instead they have excelled at school, extra curriculars and sports... things I was pretty "meh" at myself. I have no worries about their actual work ethics. They bust ass.
Old     (ord27)      Join Date: Oct 2005       07-31-2015, 3:31 PM Reply   
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/ceo-ra...212850113.html
Old     (digg311)      Join Date: Sep 2007       07-31-2015, 3:54 PM Reply   
Quote:
We'll see how it plays out. My guess is the increased salary floor will bring in future talent.

Meanwhile, the minimum wage experiment continues to play out. And, at least in the short term, to positive results:

http://www.komonews.com/news/local/1....html?mobile=y
Old     (onthecreek)      Join Date: Apr 2013       07-31-2015, 6:53 PM Reply   
There's no free money hanging out there. If some make more $ then others may not make any, lots of variables...

"In the restaurant industry, where many low-wage workers are employed, adapting could mean pooling tips among all workers, cutting shifts or relying on technology - such as cellphone applications that let customers pay electronically, rather than having someone dedicated to running the cash register."

Everyone (not talking about people in this discussion) need to realize that every person is essentially in business for themselves. If you contribute more to the bottom line of the place you work then you're economically viable. If you cost more than you contribute then don't be surprise if an alternative is found.

Reduce the reward for taking on risk then you've reduce potential growth. Slippery slope to something with a socialist ring to it.
Old     (ord27)      Join Date: Oct 2005       08-06-2015, 4:44 PM Reply   
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articl...ers?cmpid=yhoo
Old     (ord27)      Join Date: Oct 2005       08-11-2015, 1:17 PM Reply   
http://www.forbes.com/sites/timworst...rtner=yahootix