Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       08-07-2015, 5:40 PM Reply   
The Colorado movie theater shooter. It took 3 years to bring this guy to a sentence of Life in Prision
That's 51 years behind bars at a cost of 1.6 million dollars minimum and guess who pays ? If you guessed you and me. You would be correct.

His insanity defense was thrown out, jurors decided he knew right from wrong , and he even confessed to doing the shooting.

This guy Shot & killed 12 innocent People. Total human garbage. And we as a society can't even take out the trash, If anyone deserves the death penalty this guy should have got it.

I have no Idea how the Jury couldn't come to a unanimous dission and turn this guys lights out.
I can't wait to hear what happend in the Jury behind closed doors.
Old     (stanfield)      Join Date: Mar 2004       08-08-2015, 4:51 AM Reply   
There are a lot of people out there that are simply against the death penalty. I'm not one of them, but I can certainly understand those that are against giving govt. the power to kill people. He was essentially given a death sentence regardless, it just costs us a little to keep him off the streets
Old     (dyost)      Join Date: Jan 2007       08-08-2015, 8:33 AM Reply   
It costs WAY more than a little. And that's not really my biggest issue with this. You start putting these idiots to death and there will be a lot less of these occurrences. Criminals do not fear the consequences of their action because the consequences are not heavy enough. Rapists and murderers should get the death penalty and it should happen very fast after conviction. It would make people think the next time they consider committing such a horrible crime. And even if they don't comprehend potential consequences, at the very minimum it prevents that specific offender from ever getting out to repeat.

If you can't be a decent human being and respect the lives of others you have no business here.
Old     (stanfield)      Join Date: Mar 2004       08-08-2015, 2:11 PM Reply   
That's certainly one way of looking at it. Mine too for that matter. I'm Just simply saying that not everyone views the death penalty the same way. Hence why we will all have to dig deep and spend a fraction of a penny to keep loser locked away till he dies. I'm Just suggesting that there wasn't some big mystery in the jury room, there are a lot that simply don't see it the same way. And for those, it isn't about the money, it's about not giving the government that power.
Old     (dyost)      Join Date: Jan 2007       08-08-2015, 6:52 PM Reply   
I can agree with not giving government any more power, definitely a slippery slope. And then you have the argument of wrongful convictions and things like that. But in a case like Holmes, where this guy was clearly the killer of so many people, put him in the chair and never look back....

Does anyone think this guy will really serve a full life term? I sure as hell hope so..... I hope he winds up in a prison with a distant cousin or estranged ex-husband of one of the victims, he'll get what's coming.

Aside from this case, it would be great if these bleeding heart liberal judges who turn criminals back out could be held responsible for murders that third/fourth/five and even more sometimes offenders commit. I just read this story and made me so GD mad.....

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2015/08/07...-on-probation/
What do you think the great state of CA will do with this winner?

And the Kate Steinle murderer, what do you think will come of this one?
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2015...ing-suspected/

Anyone who had the chance to put these idiots away or get them out of the country has blood on their hands also as far as I'm concerned.
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       08-08-2015, 10:04 PM Reply   
You know there is no research that correlates the death penalty and reduced violent crime?

That said, no problem with the death penalty. Hell, if it's cut and dry, think a lot of these cats should just be taken to the landfill, shot & dumped.

As far as costs, roll in all the legal costs post death penalty sentence, appeals ect, wonder how close it gets.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       08-09-2015, 7:18 AM Reply   
Paying to keep people behind bars is just one more thing that is bleeding this country financially. It's killing us. If you're decided to be unsafe to release back in to society then you should be gone. Being overly civilized is a financial detriment.
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       08-09-2015, 12:49 PM Reply   
One thing to keep in mind is death penalty trials are more expensive than life in prison trials
http://www.deathpenaltyinfo.org/costs-death-penalty

Personally i am against the death penalty, not for cost reasons but ethical ones. Not that life in prison is much of an alternate. No easy answers for broken people to dangerous to let roam around.
Old     (DenverRider)      Join Date: Feb 2013       08-09-2015, 8:32 PM Reply   
I would have put him to death myself but it is my understanding that the process for completing the death penalty does cost quite a bit more than housing the same prisoner for a life sentence. Also consider the possibility that the death penalty could still be carried out through suicide or prison violence and that the average long term prisoner lives an abbreviated life. These versions of the death penalty cost quite a bit less than the needle and are often times much more painful. Just so long as nobody ever decides to let the punk out for any reason.

The death penalty does deter one type of crime. That is the repeat offender. In my opinion, the most appropriate use of the death penalty would be for sexual child molesters. Unlike most murderers they are almost guaranteed to repeat their crimes. Unfortunately the supreme court (majority conservative) chose not to allow the death penalty for child molesters in a decision about ~8 years ago calling it cruel and unusual punishment.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       08-09-2015, 10:23 PM Reply   
[QUOTE][
Old C.I.E. J-Rod (jarrod Being overly civilized is a financial detriment.
/QUOTE]

^^^^^^Amen^^^^^^
The jury should decide innocent or guilty and the family of the 12 people he killed would decide death or life in prison
Old     (dyost)      Join Date: Jan 2007       08-09-2015, 10:51 PM Reply   
Amen Eric on death to child sex offenders. I would extend it to those who rape, molest, or sexually assault in general (child or not).
Old     (seattle)      Join Date: Mar 2002       08-10-2015, 9:51 AM Reply   
Doesn't seem right that justice has a monetary value placed over it's head. You viciously wipe human life and you should die, no matter the cost.
Old     (three6ty)      Join Date: Feb 2004       08-10-2015, 1:25 PM Reply   
It's the pussification of America.

It's happening in Colorado which is a very progressive state.
If this happened in Texas or Florida, this guy would have been tried 2 years ago and would have taken a ride on ole' Smoky already.
Old     (tn_rider)      Join Date: Dec 2009       08-10-2015, 7:24 PM Reply   
This comment is my opinion. To me? Would I rather take the ride on the table with lethal injection or spend the last of my life behind bars being someone's b**ch? I'm taking the needle. In a way this man may suffer more alive than he would taking the needle. I would have LOVED to see this guy die for his actions. BUT, he gets to live a MISERABLE life never seeing the outside again. Yes, we are paying for him. But for people like that my tax money is going to better use than the guys who are in there for pot/alcohol etc. again. Just my opinion