Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (rexlex01)      Join Date: Mar 2010       08-20-2015, 3:05 PM Reply   
What is the sweet spot on an online ported box for a WS XS-12?
Size?
Material?
Brand?
This is all that I could find but wondering about the quality. http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...V12G-Gray.html
Old     (viking)      Join Date: Sep 2009       08-20-2015, 7:59 PM Reply   
Here's the specs:
https://wetsounds.com/media/products...2_XS-XXXV2.pdf

Your best to build your own enclosure so it's got the correct volume for the sub and coat it with resin to ensure it stays water tight. Also most off shelf enclosures are MDF and I'd suggest marine birch or something similar. Even it exterior is sprayed/coated being a ported enclosure humidity will get inside so you'll want to coat that as well. My .02

Last edited by viking; 08-20-2015 at 8:02 PM.
Old     (rexlex01)      Join Date: Mar 2010       08-20-2015, 8:18 PM Reply   
might as well go enclosed then. What is the use making something waterproof and then put a 4" hole in it.
Old     (phillywakeboarder)      Join Date: Sep 2008       08-20-2015, 8:28 PM Reply   
I've built my latest boxes out of Azek. It's awesome - pretty much impervious to the elements, and you can run screws right to the edge without worrying about splitting or cracking. The only downside is that it's not commonly available in widths much greater than 12 inches or so, so you end up with a few seams, which I seal with silicon and overlay with flat pvc trim.
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       08-21-2015, 5:20 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by rexlex01 View Post
might as well go enclosed then. What is the use making something waterproof and then put a 4" hole in it.
Because it would be waterproofed inside and out.
Old     (rexlex01)      Join Date: Mar 2010       08-21-2015, 5:59 AM Reply   
Anyone try this product? It looks like the ultimate sub box material and comes in sheets although don't know how it cuts, sands and drills but seems to be better than composite decking. http://www.komabuildingproducts.com/pvc-trim.cfml
Old     (trayson)      Join Date: May 2013 Location: Vancouver WA       08-21-2015, 8:33 AM Reply   
This is pretty damn close to the spec you'd want. Your speaker wants 1.7 cuft volume and this box is 1.6 cuft.

I had one of these for a 10" sub in my last boat. Used it for 2 seasons before I sold the boat and I didn't have any issues with it.

http://www.hifisoundconnection.com/S...id/0/SFV/30046

For the price, it might be worth a try.

Quote:
◦Single 12" Vented Sub Box
◾Mounting Depth: 15"
◾Air Space: 1.60 Cubic Feet
◾Vented Enclosure
◾Dimensions: Width 18" x Height 13" x Depth 16"
◦Vented Design allows for maximum output
◦Constructed with High Quality MDF
◦High Quality Binding Terminal Cup (Accepts Banana Terminal Plugs OR Bare Wire 'up to 10GA')
◦Seven Sprayed on layers for a long lasting, durable, water resistant enclosure (same technology as spray-on bed liner)
Old     (Cabledog)      Join Date: Dec 2013       08-21-2015, 10:00 AM Reply   
I had a prefab sealed box that came with the stereo the dealer installed in my boat. It was okay but not impressive, nothing like what I had in the past (cars and boats). I recently upgraded to 2 -12's in a custom ported box made of marine birch and epoxied. They are under the helm, down fire with the tuned port coming out by the drivers seat. The difference was 100x's better than what I had. Bass can keep up with the towers now. Go with a custom box, you won't regret it.
Old     (rexlex01)      Join Date: Mar 2010       08-21-2015, 10:08 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabledog View Post
I had a prefab sealed box that came with the stereo the dealer installed in my boat. It was okay but not impressive, nothing like what I had in the past (cars and boats). I recently upgraded to 2 -12's in a custom ported box made of marine birch and epoxied. They are under the helm, down fire with the tuned port coming out by the drivers seat. The difference was 100x's better than what I had. Bass can keep up with the towers now. Go with a custom box, you won't regret it.
Is that an apples to apples comparison of 2-12's? or 1-12 vs 2-12's? down fire on both boxes?
Old     (Cabledog)      Join Date: Dec 2013       08-21-2015, 11:44 AM Reply   
No, not apples to apples. The single 12 was in a sealed box facing out of the kick panel under the helm. It hit hard but would get over powered by the towers at volume. The new box is built to spec for the 2-12's with a tuned port (same speaker type and same amp now running both) but they fire down. The box is raised about 8" off the floor. The difference is incredible though and much, much more than just adding the 2nd sub in a similar sealed box would have given me. I have 2 pairs of XM9's on the tower and now the bass keeps up with them even at 20+ mph. It slams so hard now it will literally bounce my beer out of the cup holder and shakes the water around the boat when sitting. I'm not a super stereo guy by any means but there is difference with the ported box over sealed. Much more volume with the ported over sealed and a minor difference in crispness mostly on rock genre tunes. If you don't have a pre amp EQ like a WS420sq or ZLD I would recommend one. That was the #gamechanger (lol) that really made all my equipment perform in addition to the custom box.