Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (curtis325)      Join Date: Aug 2010       02-26-2017, 10:09 PM Reply   
Hey guys. Just picked up a '95 Malibu Sunsetter direct drive. The boat is in great original shape and we are really looking forward to the summer, especially since our local lake is already full! Anyhow, I was looking for some solid recommendations on a surfing setup. I know it's not the ideal boat, but my wife and I are both under 175lbs, so it should be doable without too much work. Also, was considering upgrading the prop and am looking for a recommendation on that as well. I was thinking an ACME 525.
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       02-27-2017, 6:29 AM Reply   
I would get a Wake Shaper of some type for sure. I use the NautiCurl device on my OG X-Star and its a game changer, the best part is being able to weight the boat down evenly and switch from Regular to Goofy foot in less than 30 seconds.
Old     (aricsx15)      Join Date: Jan 2014       02-27-2017, 7:19 AM Reply   
What model is it? you can get a pretty solid wave and wakeboard wake out of an LX
Old     (parkcityxj)      Join Date: Mar 2001       02-27-2017, 5:54 PM Reply   
I just sold my 95 Lx which I surfed behind all the time. I was running a 750 behind the engine and 750 on the side with sack the in the ski locker. It was the fly high locker sac, 350lbs? We typically only had 2-3 people in the boat. If I were to do it again, I'd maybe get 1100s instead of 750s. You need the wedge too.

I tried few things like the wicked wake surf fake gate thing and I did a DIY suck gate, neither worked well. They made the wave big but no push.

I never repropped, I had no problem getting out of the hole even at 6,500 ft in UT. If you are running heavy weight for wakeboarding you'd need to reprop but for surfing it was more than adequate.

My wife who is 5'7" and like 120 lbs

Me 6'4" and 235

Last edited by parkcityxj; 02-27-2017 at 6:01 PM.
Old     (curtis325)      Join Date: Aug 2010       02-27-2017, 9:12 PM Reply   
LX? I don't see any kind of designation other than Sunsetter. Jay, that's a good looking wave, but dang, I wouldn't be able to bring anything else. Also, I don't have the wedge. Can't imagine spending the money to add one. Probably just trade up in a few years.
Old     (WheelerWake)      Join Date: Mar 2013       02-28-2017, 5:39 AM Reply   
Boats with a small freeboard benefit the most from a wedge since you can't add as much ballast. The wedge adds it's effect only when moving. You get a larger wave without added fear of scuttling.
Old     (parkcityxj)      Join Date: Mar 2001       02-28-2017, 7:50 AM Reply   
Unfortunately having space in the boat and wake surfing in a direct drive doesn't exist. The boat was great, it did everything pretty well but lack of room w/sacs was why I sold it.

The good thing about it that boat is that it will NEVER lose value if you take care of it. I just sold mine for the same price as I purchased it 7 years later!
Old     (fence_sence)      Join Date: Jul 2008       03-01-2017, 9:40 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by parkcityxj View Post
Unfortunately having space in the boat and wake surfing in a direct drive doesn't exist.
Perhaps not in THAT D-drive.

You're right about the resale though. Those things get bought and sold for the same price years apart all the time.
Old     (aricsx15)      Join Date: Jan 2014       03-01-2017, 12:35 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by curtis325 View Post
LX? I don't see any kind of designation other than Sunsetter. Jay, that's a good looking wave, but dang, I wouldn't be able to bring anything else. Also, I don't have the wedge. Can't imagine spending the money to add one. Probably just trade up in a few years.
How do you buy a boat and not know what model it is
Old     (curtis325)      Join Date: Aug 2010       03-02-2017, 8:55 PM Reply   
Aric, as always your insight is invaluable. Thanks for your contribution. What I said was " I don't see any kind of designation other than Sunsetter." Read, I don't believe that it is an LX. What is the difference between a standard Sunsetter model and an LX?