Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (phillywakeboarder)      Join Date: Sep 2008       05-03-2015, 8:19 PM Reply   
At the end of last season, my 5 year old son threw a baseball-sized rock through the driver's side window of my 99 star. To my credit (and to the surprise of everyone at the marina) I maintained my composure, remembering the day I drove a lawnmower into my dad's brand new Buick, the first new car he'd ever purchased. Anyway, after speaking with Mastercraft, TaylorMade (the manufacturer of the window), and a bunch of custom window places, it became obvious that getting a replacement would be both costly (probably in the $1000 to $1500 range - the window has a significant bend to it) and time consuming, with no real guarantee that the replacement would arrive in one piece. So, I headed to Lowes, purchased a number of Optix plexiglass sheets for $20 a piece, and had at it. After about 4 sheets I finally got it right, and the thing is perfect. True, it flexes a bit more than the original when the water is super choppy, but that's about the only difference, and even this could be remedied by using a slightly thicker sheet that'll still be flexible enough to make the bend in the window frame. So, if you've got a cracked window and haven't replaced it because of the cost, this might be something for you to try. I found that the best way to cut it is to use a grinder with a really narrow blade, keeping it completely flat as you cut (I put a piece of plywood underneath it) to avoid spider cracks. Also, before you start with the plexi, make a really precise template in the empty frame with stiff paper or thin cardboard. I was gonna attach a pic, but a picture of a window really isn't that illuminating.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       05-03-2015, 11:04 PM Reply   
I would like to see some pics of your finished project. I do business with a plastics place that makes windows. One window caught my eye it was a plexiglass window for a old master craft ski boat.

The made a mold out of wood. They place the plexi in the mold and placed it in a large oven. They clamped it down after it got nice and hot then they did a process of heating it up and cooling it very slowly. I never knew the process had to be done or else the plexi would become brittle and crack.
But it was good to know they can make weird shapes and bends
Old     (Jmaxymek)      Join Date: Feb 2012       05-03-2015, 11:23 PM Reply   
Would like to see a pic also! Sounds like an awesome fix. Always kind of wondered why more glass isn't replaced with plexi? Seems like a good idea but what do I know...
Old     (phillywakeboarder)      Join Date: Sep 2008       05-04-2015, 6:23 AM Reply   
I left my wallet in the boat last night, so I have to go to the marina later today and will take some pics. As (hopefully) you'll see in the pics, the plexi is actually clearer than the glass. For my application, because the Optix was so flexible by itself, I never had to heat it up to get the proper bend. It's supposed to stay clear (i.e., not get yellow) for up to ten years. If someone was trying to replace a window with no bend in it at all, like the center bow walk through window or something, it would be a really, really simple job.
Old     (srock)      Join Date: Mar 2002       05-04-2015, 11:44 AM Reply   
Won't these plastics yellow on short order? At 1500 your in insurance claim territory.
Old     (phillywakeboarder)      Join Date: Sep 2008       05-04-2015, 2:43 PM Reply   
Here are some pics. Even if it does go yellow after a few seasons (which it shouldn't, according to the manufacturer), now that I have the perfect template (the one that's in there now), and know what I'm doing, I could just throw in a replacement for 20 bucks and 2 hours or so of my time. Overall, I'm really pleased with it.
Attached Images

Old     (razorjaw)      Join Date: Jan 2003 Location: Australia       05-04-2015, 4:36 PM Reply   
Nice work!
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       05-04-2015, 5:32 PM Reply   
Now clean that vinyl on the front seats!
Old     (greg2)      Join Date: May 2002       05-04-2015, 6:26 PM Reply   
Very nice work! This will certainly save a few folks some dollars.
Old     (phillywakeboarder)      Join Date: Sep 2008       05-04-2015, 8:41 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by ralph View Post
Now clean that vinyl on the front seats!
Ha! That's what she looked like when I pulled all the winter tarps off, and I wanted to get the window situation sorted out before anything else. Then it got warm, and I decided it was just as fun to ride behind a dirty boat than a clean one, so off we went. Not much mildew shows when the sac is full . . . .
Old     (phillywakeboarder)      Join Date: Sep 2008       05-04-2015, 8:52 PM Reply   
Behold, the before pic . . . .
Attached Images

Old     (srock)      Join Date: Mar 2002       05-05-2015, 6:00 AM Reply   
It does look good and its baseball proof now. I have some golf ball damage to address.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       05-05-2015, 8:47 AM Reply   
wow!! perfect!
Old     (cadunkle)      Join Date: Jul 2009 Location: NJ       05-05-2015, 9:14 AM Reply   
Looks good, clean tight fit. Appears more clear than the glass in the pics, hopefully it stays that way. I need to make a new side vent/wing window for mine and may try this. Mine is flat so should be as simple as making a template and tracing. How is the depth at the marina, did they ever get dredged? I was out of Florence this weekend and lots of debris in the river but otherwise a great day.
Old     (phillywakeboarder)      Join Date: Sep 2008       05-05-2015, 1:28 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadunkle View Post
Looks good, clean tight fit. Appears more clear than the glass in the pics, hopefully it stays that way. I need to make a new side vent/wing window for mine and may try this. Mine is flat so should be as simple as making a template and tracing. How is the depth at the marina, did they ever get dredged? I was out of Florence this weekend and lots of debris in the river but otherwise a great day.
I was out Saturday and Sunday and there was a ton of stuff coming down the creek. It was kinda funny. As I was floating in the water waiting to go a small fishing boat idled by and the guy was like "Watch out for the debris!" and his wife was like "Especially the stuff with nails in it!" Not the way you want to start off! Anyway, the marina has been dredged. The word is that there's 3 feet at low tide, but I haven't been brave enough to test this rumor out. Regardless, it's way, way, way better than last season, for sure, and should hold up for at least the next 3 months or so. Right now, the biggest problem the marina has is the seawall on the restaurant side of the lagoon. It caved in, the top going towards the water, about 6 feet or so. I guess when it was installed they didn't get it deep enough, and now it's being undermined. They've been working to pull it straight, and have brought it back maybe 2 feet or so, but the backhoe broke and they're waiting for parts. It doesn't impact launching at all (as long as you stay away from the side when you come in and out, as it's shallow at the base of the seawall) but if we have a bad weather event and the seawall caves in more it's gonna be a really bad thing for the marina.

I'm building a kicker (4 feet tall, about 16 feet long). I hope to have it in the water next month. Hopefully, I'll be able to keep the thing from washing down the creek in the tsunami current. When it's finished I'll let you know the days we'll have it out. It'll probably just be a weekend thing.
Old     (westsidarider)      Join Date: Feb 2003       05-05-2015, 6:47 PM Reply   
Nice work. I recommend keeping that window covered as much as possible. Throw a towel over it when not driving. The sun will have its way with it sooner than you think. It will yellow and start to show stress cracks and become brittle. Also make sure to use non abrasives on it ie chemicals and rough towels as this will dull and scratch the surface
Old     (NoNceNse)      Join Date: Nov 2013       05-06-2015, 9:12 AM Reply   
I would tint all the windows. That would make it harder to tell the difference between the glass and the plexi even if it was something really light like 50%. It might even help slow down the yellowing.