Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (joshugan)      Join Date: Apr 2005       01-14-2013, 10:37 AM Reply   
Hi, I ride the Decade and love the board, I rode the Natural previously. I've tried a lot of brands' boards and I think Chris Johnson understands board design better than anyone. I have no plans to look at any other brands for as long as he's shaping.

I'm curious if the Format or any of the other boards are follow-ups/improved versions of the Decade?

If you've ridden the Decade and moved to a different board, what did you move to and why?

Any advice or input on this would be much appreciated.

Last edited by joshugan; 01-14-2013 at 10:42 AM.
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       01-14-2013, 12:17 PM Reply   
Hey Man, love the comment on Chris Johnson, I feel the same way!

Ahhh the Decade, one of my favortie boards of all time. I must say it is hard to get away from that board. I have been riding other O'brien boards but always find myself back on the Decade. The Format is a rock solid board, and everyone who rode the vice loved the Format. The Format, as was the case with the Vice for me is just a bit more work to ride. Just my two cents, Ride one is you can.

This last summer I was riding the Paradigm 50% of the time and the Baker. Both super fun behind the board. The Paradigm is a good transition from the Decade to a flex board. I have Bruce on the way really interested in getting out for a spin on that thing.
Old     (gnarslayer)      Join Date: Sep 2008       01-14-2013, 5:46 PM Reply   
i rode the decade in 2009 and 2010, and its definitely sick!

my favorite boards on the obrien line are the contra, format, decade, and valhalla

all four above are super sick!

i think i like the contra the most though because it rides super fast for a 3 stage, it almost feels continuous when carving around, but when you hit the wake it pops you super hard!

to me the contra and format feel very similar, but the formats pop is a bit more predictable

valhalla is pretty much impossible to go wrong with, super strong, fast and great pop. even though the price isnt as high as the format and contra it definitely performs just as good.

i ride the paradigm on the cable its dopeee on the railsss

test them all you really cant go wrong!
Old     (durty_curt)      Join Date: Apr 2008       01-14-2013, 6:45 PM Reply   
Is this ginger Josh of nauti 88 crew? If it is, PM me. My brother has the first model year format in a... 137? If you wanna try it hit me up. The only difference from the current model year and the first years model (which i think is a big difference) is the detachable fins went from .7 to .5
Someone correct me if I'm wrong on the fin size, i haven't seen those boards in a couple months
Old     (ryan_shima1)      Join Date: Sep 2002 Location: Layton, Utah       01-14-2013, 10:11 PM Reply   
Josh, also agree that Chris Johnson is da MAN!

This will be my 3rd year I've been on the format and love it! Before that, I rode the Vice for 5 years straight, and also gave the Decade a go for the summer of 2009. It was the first 3 stage board that I really liked because the delta base made it faster so I didn't feel like it dragged on the water. However, I just wasn't consistent on it on my toeside, so I went back to the Vice for the second of the 2009 season.

I thought it was going to be hard to beat the Vice, but I had my most consistent summer last year on the Format. I like riding it with the .5 fins vs. the .7's (I could tell the difference, it just released from the wake much cleaner but still held a strong edge. I think the .7's were just too locked in). This year, they went back to the .7's but in a different shape so it will be interesting to see how it rides.

I'm a creature of habit, so when I find something I like, I don't change. Hence, I haven't tried anything else since getting on the Format in 2010. But I've heard great things about the Contra. I haven't tried any flex, and really not interested at all, but if you are I heard great things about the Baker.

Good luck!
Old     (joshugan)      Join Date: Apr 2005       01-15-2013, 10:40 AM Reply   
Good info everyone, thanks!

Andy, Let me know what you think of the Bruce.

J.B. how unpredictable is the Contra? Also, is the Contra a new version or is this the shape that's been around for a long while?

DC, Ya, I'm the ginger. PM sent. Thanks!

Ryan, I'm more stoked to try Curt's brother's format now. Are you going to be trying the new Format?

I wish I could try all of O'Brien's top boards one after another and see what feels best. We need an AZ dealer!
Old     (ryan_shima1)      Join Date: Sep 2002 Location: Layton, Utah       01-15-2013, 12:36 PM Reply   
Josh, I just got my 2013 Format a few days ago with the Nomad bindings. Can't wait to break her in. Last year I used the Seeker Bindings which I loved (once I got them broken in), and the year before that was the Format bindings.

If the .7's that come with the 2013's are too locked in, I'm going to use the .5's from last year because I really rode better with those.

Just some advice when making your selection, if you know the characteristics in a board that you like and that suits your style, just look for that when shopping around, especially if you don't have the ability to demo a lot of different models before you make purchase. May save you a lot of time and frustration.

Shred on!
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       01-15-2013, 1:22 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshugan View Post
If you've ridden the Decade and moved to a different board, what did you move to and why?
I know that this off topic and that I can't really answer your questions BUT I think this may be the best question anyone's asked when talking about a board review on an online forum that may be the best way to learn about a board. Great questions Josh!
Old     (gnarslayer)      Join Date: Sep 2008       01-15-2013, 7:07 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshugan View Post
Good info everyone, thanks!

Andy, Let me know what you think of the Bruce.

J.B. how unpredictable is the Contra? Also, is the Contra a new version or is this the shape that's been around for a long while?

DC, Ya, I'm the ginger. PM sent. Thanks!

Ryan, I'm more stoked to try Curt's brother's format now. Are you going to be trying the new Format?

I wish I could try all of O'Brien's top boards one after another and see what feels best. We need an AZ dealer!
the contra is not unpredictable, i just feel that it has a much stronger kick off the wake than the format, its just crazy how much pop it has for how fast it is. iv definitely progressed the most on the contra
Old     (tuneman)      Join Date: Mar 2002       01-16-2013, 7:05 AM Reply   
Yep, Chris Johnson is pretty much the master at board design. (Chris, you know where to send payment, hee, hee.)

I'm no expert on the individual boards, but when I take a wakeboard set, there's always a Decade strapped to my feet. Best, most forgiving, board I've ever ridden.
Old     (SouthCack)      Join Date: Jan 2013       01-20-2013, 2:08 PM Reply   
I am looking at the 2011 O'brien format and the 2010 Obrien decade.. any input?
Old     (gnarslayer)      Join Date: Sep 2008       01-20-2013, 5:57 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthCack View Post
I am looking at the 2011 O'brien format and the 2010 Obrien decade.. any input?
try them both and see what you like. they are both great boards.
Old     (SouthCack)      Join Date: Jan 2013       01-20-2013, 6:32 PM Reply   
only problem is that there are no boardshops around that carry O'brien
Old     (gnarslayer)      Join Date: Sep 2008       01-20-2013, 9:26 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthCack View Post
only problem is that there are no boardshops around that carry O'brien
well the good thing is, you cant go wrong with either board, unless your the kinda guy that likes a slow board...

both boards are very fast and easy to ride.

the decade is rounded on the edges in the center and they sharpen up towards the tips, so its very forgiving, but also holds a good edge.

the format is very easy to control and holds edge like a boss .

the decade is decently stiff throughout the whole board, and the format has a tad of flex in the tip and tail, i wouldnt consider it a flex board. i feel that both boards have a traditional straight up pop off the wake and you dont have to worry about "storing energy". you will get good pop every hit.

both boards ride well on small and large wakes, i have ridden both on my families old DD supra and a slammed x star and they both performed awesome.

if you want more specifics just ask
Old     (Kane)      Join Date: Mar 2010       01-21-2013, 5:48 AM Reply   
Why has nobody mentioned the Coda?
I've seen some really good riders slay on that thing.
Old     (EL_C0mard2008)      Join Date: Aug 2010       02-27-2013, 4:33 PM Reply   
Josh it's Cory, I'm actually looking to sell my format. You are more than welcome to try it out and see how you like it. Personally, I have really lived this board. I don't want to sell it but after tearing my ACL and now with school and work, I just can't get out there anymore. Call or text me if ur interested.
Old     (robholihan)      Join Date: Mar 2011       02-27-2013, 4:50 PM Reply   
I just went through the same transition and have just gotten on the Bruce. This is a way poppier and more "alive" version of the board. It takes all the highlights from the majority of the boards in the line and showcases it in one single board. Definitely check it out.
Old     (durty_curt)      Join Date: Apr 2008       05-13-2013, 9:37 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by robholihan View Post
I just went through the same transition and have just gotten on the Bruce. This is a way poppier and more "alive" version of the board. It takes all the highlights from the majority of the boards in the line and showcases it in one single board. Definitely check it out.
When You Say poppier And More Alive Version Of The Board. What Board Are You comparing To?