Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       07-17-2014, 9:05 AM Reply   
A buddy of mine and amazing rider was up to his parents cabin (where I live full time) and we were out riding last night.... same night as a local bass tourny was being held on the lake.

We hit the water at like 6:45 to both get a set in before 8:00p (when the lake cuts off skiing) ... everything was going great until we approached one section of the lake that narrows quite a bit .... laws state when making a wake, you must be 100 ft from other boats and the shore, literately not possible with two boats in this section, so everyone does your best.

The fisherman is planted dead center of this narrow area, so we have to go by one way or another .... the drive (buddy's dad) picks a side, hugs the shoreline and then all hell breaks loose.

....as we are passing by the fisherman winds up like he trying to hit a baseball, two handed power cast RIGHT AT THE RIDER (my buddy) and mself (filming from a tube). Like slow motion we see the lure fly through the air at us, ends up grabbing the mainline and wrapping up, then sliding down to the handle and hooking my buddy. Finger is cut up pretty bad from the line / hook / whatever.

He drops the handle and just starts cussing them out, boat eventually gets back and his parents go off too because it was the stupiest thing I've ever seen... just downright dangerous.

The guy denies even doing it at first and calls us liars. Then we hold up his lure and the line still hooked into the handle, then I say I have it all on film (which I did) and my buddy's girlfriend got it filmed from the boat too .... at that point he is changes to "It was an accident, no harm no foul" ..... again we say we have video of him spinning 180* in his chair, "power casting" right at us.... then he starts to say he is sorry and this and that.

.... we got to shore, put the video on a pc, called the cops and let them take over. Cops said we were "too close" to them, they should have never been able to cast that far. The line still hooked to the rope was over 100ft (obviously pulled out by the moving boat though) and we showed the video that was hard to judge distance, but he knew that narrow spot and said he would talk to the guy. The cop came back like 45 minutes later and said he didn't arrest him but gave him two fines (disorderly and something else).... also talked to the guy who ran the Bass Tourny and sounds like he won' t be allowed to participate....

.... seriously, it was our first time going past him all evening, stayed as far away as possible (probably 75 ft or so), and this ******* ruined the night.

The run in:

On a positive note .... heel 9 getting close

Last edited by sidekicknicholas; 07-17-2014 at 9:10 AM.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       07-17-2014, 9:22 AM Reply   
... just so you can all see the part of the lake this happened in, below is a photo of the spot with 100ft. markers, so literately if there is another boat there it isn't really passable "legally" but everyone just tried their beset to make room and deals with it.... except this asshat.

Red star = Fisherman
Blue lines each 100 ft.

Old     (hawkeye7708)      Join Date: Feb 2007       07-17-2014, 9:47 AM Reply   
Sheeeesh, Nick… what lake was this on? Sorry to hear about that happening to your buddy!

In La Crosse, WI my buddy had a casting incident in a back slough a few years back… fortunately it didn't connect
Old     (dezul)      Join Date: Jul 2012       07-17-2014, 9:49 AM Reply   
That does suck. Sorry to hear about your buddy's hand. Every now and then you will get a bad sport like that fisherman. Be on the lookout for him for now on. It was great you got it all on camera. Do you think there should be "No Wake" zone through that tight pass?
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       07-17-2014, 9:58 AM Reply   
Quote:
what lake was this on?
Lake Sherwood in Nekoosa, WI .... Born and raised on this lake, other than a year in Florida and Two years in Minneapolis.... like 22 years on this lake and never had anything like this happen before.

Quote:
Do you think there should be "No Wake" zone through that tight pass?
Probably not... its just one really narrow section that isn't very long, by the time you come down from a cruising speed you would be through it in a matter of seconds... and like I said above, years and years of busy weekends where 2 boats make it through no problem, just have to be smart about it and understand you'll be a little close. Making it a no-wake would kill the flow from side to side since its a smaller lake as it is (400 acres)

I've been out there when the police boats are present they just sort of understand too, the law says one thing, enforcing it would mean everyone gets a ticket going through.

Here is the whole lake, so you can kind of see how that one spot is the only real problem area, especially if a fisherman is camped out there.
*The very ends of the lake are slow now wake (north side where it gets quite narrow and by the islands on the south side)
Old     (chattwake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       07-17-2014, 10:01 AM Reply   
A similar thing happened to us on the Little River that feeds into Ft. Loudon in Knoxville. However, in our instance, a guy fishing on the bank intentionally tried to hook a friend of mine in a narrow area we were riding in. The lure actually hooked the handle directly. My friend dropped and swam over yelling at the guy. The fisherman saw him coming and ran to his truck and grabbed a tire iron. We drove over and about 5 guys jumped out and swam to shore when they saw the tire iron out. Fortunately for the fisherman, he had his like 5 year old son with him, and because we are all reasonable people, we did not let the matter escalate from more than a shouting match. Had that kid not been there, the guy would likely have been in trouble. A stupid move like this could easily cost someone an eye, finger, etc.
Old     (dbdb)      Join Date: Oct 2005       07-17-2014, 10:03 AM Reply   
Unfortunately with G sized wakes and more ever more powerful Wetsounds, I think these kinds of run ins are going to be more and more commonplace - even if your not running a G sized wake or tower speakers or doing anything wrong. A couple times on my lake, we were running a line in the only consistently decent place to ride (there is even a slalom course there) and as we leave one side of the line a fisher will move right into the middle of it. 25 seconds later as we come back down the line, he flips out on us like he has been there all day and we are getting too close.
Old     (Jmorlan)      Join Date: May 2013       07-17-2014, 10:13 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by chattwake View Post
A similar thing happened to us on the Little River that feeds into Ft. Loudon in Knoxville. However, in our instance, a guy fishing on the bank intentionally tried to hook a friend of mine in a narrow area we were riding in. The lure actually hooked the handle directly. My friend dropped and swam over yelling at the guy. The fisherman saw him coming and ran to his truck and grabbed a tire iron. We drove over and about 5 guys jumped out and swam to shore when they saw the tire iron out. Fortunately for the fisherman, he had his like 5 year old son with him, and because I let him know I am an attorney, we did not let the matter escalate from more than a shouting match. Had that kid not been there, the guy would likely have been in trouble. A stupid move like this could easily cost someone an eye, finger, etc.

Old     (slowwwflowww)      Join Date: Mar 2011       07-17-2014, 11:17 AM Reply   
All I can say is that piece of shiz !!!!!!!!Should have lost his right to own a boatThey complain about a wave but are willing to intentionaly endanger someones safety.They just don't understand or care that boarding outside the safety of a boat is putting a person in a vulnerable position to begin withI get soooo pissed when I hear this ucking stuff!Sorry for rant
Old     (tracktor)      Join Date: Sep 2005       07-17-2014, 11:20 AM Reply   
Does the law state the boat must be 100' from the other boat or the rider? That would make a serious difference in how far someone would need to cast to hit the rider if he was cutting out. I have been warned by the sheriff after fishermen purposely moved into our riding line. It's an odd dynamic and the only solution is to try and stay as far away as possible which doesn't always work...............
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       07-17-2014, 11:26 AM Reply   
As I understand the law the rider is an extension of the boat... so he too.must be 100 ft away.

The photo shows him sitting just on the trough of the wake tjough.... so essentially directly behind the boat.

.... if a ride cuts and and is spraying pepole it's another story if someone tries to retaliate, but the rider was just hanging out until we passed them due to the narrowness of that section.
Old     (brett33)      Join Date: Apr 2011       07-17-2014, 11:31 AM Reply   
Yep, been there... a few times. Almost identical stories as above. Had a fisherman power casting at us from a boat, luckily no one was hooked. Same story as Chatt, had a boat full of pissed off dudes and went over there. We made our point clear and he didn't want it. Then had some idiots hitting golf balls at us from their backyard. I was riding and damn near got hit. I'm talking a few feet away. I dropped the rope, driver saw what was happening and rushed back to me. We pulled out the water ballon launcher and sent a couple full beers into their boat house and in the backyard at them, let them have it over the PA and got out of there. Both incidents were completely unprovoked.. Crazy people. Glad nobody got seriously hurt in y'alls stories so far, but as mentioned it could have easily been another story for a few of us.
Old     (QuickVR4)      Join Date: May 2012       07-17-2014, 11:39 AM Reply   
Unfortunately, I guess we all have similar stories. Mine was in what we call ski cove with a small island at the end to turn around. Coming around the island and right in the middle of a 50 ft pass is a fisherman. I was waving and saying sorry as we were hugging shore since he was parked right in the middle. He cast at me as I went by. I fell a little later and asked to go back to explain the situation (politely). Before I could even open my mouth, guy yells that he has something in his boat that would "take us all out". I go nuts and my friends are trying to calm me down. I said I was calling cops and he packed up and bolted. I cannot understand how an instance like this turns an adult into a 12 year throwing a temper tantrum?!?!?!
Old     (RideGull)      Join Date: Apr 2012       07-17-2014, 11:40 AM Reply   
wow that is crazy!! sorry that you had a run in like that.
ive been cast at, had a couple confrontations, but definitely no injuries or damage before.
fisherman in the midwest have far too much power. so many laws protecting them, its ridiculous.
i swear the fisherman on my lake go out of their way to piss off everybody. casting under docks while the owners are sitting on it, purposefully moving into a skiers line, blocking narrow channels, zigzagging back and forth to mess up water.

i hope the fisherman in your case was actually fined heavily.
Old     (chattwake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       07-17-2014, 11:46 AM Reply   
Bluntly, the problem with the regulatory authorities in most instances is that when they are not working they are likely fishing - as opposed to wakeboarding/wakesurfing. Accordingly, they often side with the redneck in the fishing boat, regardless of who is at fault.

I'll tell you what else I can't stand with the bass fishing contingent is how reckless they are in terms of driving to and from their fishing spots. We've had several close calls where a bass boat going 90+ mph buzzes us or a rider, or simply hits one of our wakes and almost loses control. I'm sorry, but if you want to drive like you're a professional race care driver, go do that on a drag strip or on a closed track somewhere. Being on the lake during a fishing tournament is like roller skating on an interstate.
Old     (chattwake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       07-17-2014, 11:48 AM Reply   
Quote:
zigzagging back and forth to mess up water
Hahahahaha that reminds me of a guy in a john boat who did that for about 40 minutes one day in a cove we were riding in. We just stopped riding, turned on the radio, and cheered him on while he wasted his gas. He eventually moved on and we went back to riding.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       07-17-2014, 11:59 AM Reply   
Quote:
Bluntly, the problem with the regulatory authorities in most instances is that when they are not working they are likely fishing - as opposed to wakeboarding/wakesurfing.
99% of the time I would agree with you fully.... we happened to get the 1%.

The officer that showed up was a buddy of mine from years ago when I was on a show ski team... he had actually bought old wakeboards from me. He remained very professional and took both sides, did his homework before doing anything.

Sounds like the other guy could have been arrested but he just stuck him with two fines, and some light googling this morning leads me to believe totaled around $1000.... not to say he can't find and have them reduced.

Also found out he didn't live on the lake, was just there for this little tourny, and I guess two of the other contestants who did live on the lake (one was good friends with my uncle) threatened to "beat his ass" if he ever showed up here again. Being born and raised there with lots of friends on the lake helped out this time.
Old     (wakebrdjay)      Join Date: Apr 2008       07-17-2014, 12:37 PM Reply   
First off let me say that guy is a giant idiot for casting a hook at a person,he's lucky it didn't do more damage,but if I was driving I would not have driven past them. I don't trust anyone anymore. I expect a dumb ass to do that these days.
Old     (wakebrdjay)      Join Date: Apr 2008       07-17-2014, 12:40 PM Reply   
Next time you know to turn before and send them a nice fat power turn roller,just make sure you're out of casting range.
Old     (baitkiller)      Join Date: Jan 2010       07-17-2014, 12:47 PM Reply   
Sorry but Im still laughing my ass off over somebody lobbing golf balls at Brett... Not sure why that is cracking me up.

I have fishing boat and fish, funny thing is that the fishing sucks where i ride but there are always people there fishing. I dunno
Old     (brett33)      Join Date: Apr 2011       07-17-2014, 1:11 PM Reply   
Bait- There was no lobbing about it. These kids were hitting full on drivers, not pitching wedges..

Chatt again brings up a good point about the reckless driving of some race car fishermen. Seems crazy, but when I was younger my dad was pulling my sister and I on the tube. We were in gear at an idle, the line had just gotten tight.. when a bass boat flew in between our boat and the tube. Rope got hung up, we flew off the tube and I remember my dad yelling if we were ok.. by that time he was over at the guy's bass boat and had this little wooden oar in his hand, about to destroy this guy. We yelled back yes and I'm pretty sure that was the only reason that guy didn't end up tied to an anchor. Pops gave it to him proper though!
Old     (brichter14)      Join Date: Jul 2010       07-17-2014, 3:02 PM Reply   
Fishermen think they own the lake. We were riding one day on the north shore of a nearby lake and it was the only calm spot on the lake. There were several fishermen there and one musta got pissed because he saw our rider fall and then gunned it to fly between the rider and the boat. I immediatly knew his intention and pulled the rope in very quickly because thats what he was aiming for. As he went by, missing the rope by about 10 feet he got the one finger salute and never came back
Old     (migs)      Join Date: Aug 2006 Location: SF Bay Area       07-17-2014, 3:43 PM Reply   
If that hook would have caught you or the rider in the face/eye/head, that would have been serious. Glad you guys are alright.
Unbelievable. F***n peasant fishermen...
Old     (slowwwflowww)      Join Date: Mar 2011       07-17-2014, 3:47 PM Reply   
Everybody (most everybody) has a right to be on the lake.NOBODY has a right to intentionaly try to harm another.How would he feel if I threw a DVD of wakebrothers at him as he sped close to my boat!!!!!!!!!
Old     (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       07-17-2014, 10:53 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowwwflowww View Post
everybody (most everybody) has a right to be on the lake.nobody has a right to intentionaly try to harm another.how would he feel if i threw a dvd of wakebrothers at him as he sped close to my boat!!!!!!!!!
lol
Old     (tampawake)      Join Date: Mar 2008       07-18-2014, 10:44 AM Reply   
Nick looking at that picture first I am jealous our lake is not that big. Second why did you guy even have to pull a rider in there. Not justifying this ******* by any stretch!!!! We live on a small ski lake so takes lots of work to avoid people and keep the lake from being chopped up. I feel bad passing fisherman in their flats boats when my boat has 3k in ballast even 100 yard away. Glad no one was hurt and you guys handled it properly. Too much face to face fist to fist next thing you know gun knife things happen.
Old     (phillywakeboarder)      Join Date: Sep 2008       07-18-2014, 10:59 AM Reply   
Obviously, I don't agree with what the fisherman did, but he's got some serious casting skills. In the world of fisherman, that was probably the equivalent of a toe 9.
Old     (zimme)      Join Date: Feb 2013       07-18-2014, 10:59 AM Reply   
Post the video of the asshat powercasting at you guys!
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       07-18-2014, 11:38 AM Reply   
Quote:
Second why did you guy even have to pull a rider in there. Not justifying this ******* by any stretch!!!!
We certainly didn't have to pass through there.... but his location meant everyone skiing / not fishing was stuck from using the other 50% of the lake, which sucks because with 2/3 other boats out there running around tubing the water gets quite rough quite quickly. The best park of the lake is the "U" shape, you can run a line, turn 90, run a line, turn 90 and by the time you come back over it, its has calmed down. Again, we certainly could have stayed away, but to have him block off the waterway like that is ****ty for everyone.... he wasn't from the lake, so he probably didn't know better, but still.

Quote:
Post the video of the asshat powercasting at you guys!
Its on my buddy's computer, I'll try and have him put the footage to youtube or something

Quote:
Obviously, I don't agree with what the fisherman did, but he's got some serious casting skills.
Haha, that was my first thing I said once we started driving away..... you know he is going to go to the other guys and be like, "Hooked myself a 180 pounder"
Old     (tampawake)      Join Date: Mar 2008       07-30-2014, 6:34 PM Reply   
Nick was not givin ya shiat just curious and trust me I get it. I board on a smallish private lake and 1 tuber can ruin the entire thing. You handled it right and he should have just dealt with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidekicknicholas View Post
We certainly didn't have to pass through there.... but his location meant everyone skiing / not fishing was stuck from using the other 50% of the lake, which sucks because with 2/3 other boats out there running around tubing the water gets quite rough quite quickly. The best park of the lake is the "U" shape, you can run a line, turn 90, run a line, turn 90 and by the time you come back over it, its has calmed down. Again, we certainly could have stayed away, but to have him block off the waterway like that is ****ty for everyone.... he wasn't from the lake, so he probably didn't know better, but still.

Its on my buddy's computer, I'll try and have him put the footage to youtube or something

Haha, that was my first thing I said once we started driving away..... you know he is going to go to the other guys and be like, "Hooked myself a 180 pounder"
Old     (chrislandy)      Join Date: Mar 2014       07-31-2014, 6:44 AM Reply   
I've had this with French fishermen a number of times on the lake we use, about 12 years ago they were making a big fuss on the lake and one was sat in the middle of the ski zone (about 5km long out of a 15km lake) cast at me with a nice big 3 pronged mega hook, luckily it caught on the line and not me but it was only about 2ft from the handle! If it had got me my arm or face would have been ripped up... I still shudder at the memory.

Then the cheeky bugger drove up next to us, had a go at us for skiing too close to him (in the skiing area) then demanded his hook back!
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       07-31-2014, 7:11 AM Reply   
WOW!!! I have been casted at before but never had anything come close. I have had so many run ins with Fisherman its not even funny. Typically we have been running the same pass for hours and a fisherman shows up like he owns the place right in the middle of our line and we exchange words. But to actually have him connect, it that would have hook directly into one of you it could have been a trip to the ER. I would have had a hard time not getting into a fight, or roll by him and swamp his boat, way to keep your head and your cool.
Old     (williamburell)      Join Date: Sep 2011       07-31-2014, 7:16 AM Reply   
I would have lost my chit and prob swamped his boat. Lucky no one got seriously hurt. Our fisherman aren't awful but they are uber talented at trying to block waterways in the mornings. I try to stay out of their way until 9-930 but after that its on. Its like they reproduce every summer and now theres just no where to get away from them.
Old     (domstrauss)      Join Date: Jul 2014       07-31-2014, 9:03 AM Reply   
Was that Tom Knotec that was trying the heel 9?
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       07-31-2014, 10:45 AM Reply   
Quote:
Was that Tom Knotec that was trying the heel 9?
Yup!

I live just down the road from his parents' lake house in Wisconsin
Old     (domstrauss)      Join Date: Jul 2014       07-31-2014, 11:41 AM Reply   
I don't know if you remember me but tom used to ride with me all the time back before he moved to Texas. i even stayed at his parents house a couple times. tell him to give me a call next time he's in the geneva area and we'll do some riding.
Old     (deepstructure)      Join Date: Jun 2002       07-31-2014, 1:00 PM Reply   
We were up at the Delta a couple of weekends ago and had exactly the same thing happen (three fishermen in a boat parked exactly in the middle of a slough). As I pull my rider as close to one side as I safely can, one of them stands up and starts yelling and gesturing at us - and starts throwing bait at the boat and then at the rider as we went by. I was amazed.

We'd been riding that slough all day - they just showed up and acted like we shouldn't be riding through there. Sorry buddy, not going to drop my rider just because you're being unreasonable about where you're fishing.

Still, can't imagine actually having a cast thrown at you. That's ridiculous.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       07-31-2014, 1:05 PM Reply   
Quote:
i even stayed at his parents house a couple times. tell him to give me a call next time he's in the geneva area and we'll do some riding.
I have a face in my head, not sure its the correct one though. He was up at the lake a few weeks back (when this whole fisherman thing happened), but I think he mentioned trying to get back one more time this summer if his schedule allowed it.