Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through November 17, 2003

Old    prestige            07-17-2003, 10:23 PM Reply   
Hi,

I am looking to buy the best wakeboard boat that I can afford for $30,000 canadian (20-25k usd).

Obviously I want a tower, but where should I go from here? I want anything used (a few years old assuming it's well cared for) or new.

I figure a nice 6 cyl should be fine.

I took a peek at a 2003 Larson 180 SEi 225hp I/O. Nice, but will I be happy with the wake?

I've heard Malibu boats are great, but is that all models or just their wakesetter models?

Any tips to point me in the right direction would be appreciated.
Old    prestige            07-17-2003, 10:56 PM Reply   
I should add that:

- wakeboarding is the primary usage
- I don't have a lot of riders (2-4) but lots of space is always nice
- a great wake is desirable
- I would prefer a bow rider

My last boat was a 4cyl I/O Bayliner Capri so I don't have a lot of knowledge of vert or ramp wakes. I am great wake to wake and playing with 180's and 360's.

Maybe if there was a list of preferred manufacturers and models to aim for, and what to stay away from?

Thanks in advance!
Old     (barry)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-17-2003, 11:28 PM Reply   
You should check out the mid-late 80's Nautique 2001. You can find nice ones for around 10k, throw on a tower, bimini,PP, stereo and have that thing hooked up. Most likely you'll have about 5k left over to stuff away for a rainy day and/or gas money.

Prostar 190's are awesome from what I understand.
Neither of these are 'bowriders', however.

I know I'll catch some flack for this , but... I would stay away from older Tige's, Centurians, Brendella, etc..

If I were you I would grab up a Nautique 2001.. nice boats with a sick, sick wake.

Forget the 6 cyl... once you progress you'll want to start adding more weight.. you'll soon run out of power with a 6cyl.

B-
Old     (levi)      Join Date: Feb 2001       07-18-2003, 1:21 AM Reply   
hmmm..for that amount of cash I would go for a little newer boat....say a mid 90's nautique, master craft, or malibu... Fuel Injection is nice to have on your boat as you usually get better horsepower and better fuel economy. I think you could pick up a real nice Sport Nautique in the 95 or even a little newer range..and they through a real nice wake I"ve heard. Also..if you can swing a V-Drive...you'll get a lot of room for you and your friends and you'll be set for years to come. If I was you i'd spend a lot of time looking around on www.boattrader.com, iboats.com, flipsell.com, and the classifieds here and wakeboarder.com. You'll get a feel for how far your money will go and then keep your eye out for a good deal and jump on it. Good luck.....
Old     (aquaholic)      Join Date: Feb 2001       07-18-2003, 5:47 AM Reply   
Whether you go with an inboard or i/o I would go with an 8 cylinder engine with the most hp you can find because you're going to want to put weight in it. Like Levi said, you may be able to get a 95 or so Super Sport Nautique (v-drive) for around that kind of $. It's got one of the best wakes going.
Old     (noneya)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-18-2003, 6:40 AM Reply   
Definetly get a V-8 for that much money you could get a good used Sport Nautique, Malibu or if you want new look at the Moomba Outback. All of these should come in around 25K
Old     (blabel)      Join Date: Jul 2001       07-18-2003, 7:06 AM Reply   
Here you go. World class wake when weighted and a V-Drive to boot. A little harder to find but worth the wait. You should be able to find one in your price range.

http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/3183/74997.html?1058452556
Old     (wake_fun)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-18-2003, 8:59 AM Reply   
1995 Nautique Super Sport or newer if you can find one. GT40 with 310HP.
Old    prestige            07-18-2003, 3:08 PM Reply   
Thanks for the tips. It's rather depressing trying to look for anything. The used boat market is fast and furious with most good boats selling the day they arrive. The dealers think I should just increase my budget and get a new +50k boat. I'm almost tempted but my wife is pulling on the reins :-)
Old     (hamkj)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-19-2003, 1:14 AM Reply   
Hey Kevin. If you want to increase your budget... let me know. I have a screaming deal. wake_up@shaw.ca
Take care, Kyle.
Old    prestige            07-24-2003, 8:03 AM Reply   
I decided on a new Svfara wakeboarding boat.

Awesome wake. Awesome boat.

Made in Canada (manufactured in Kelowna)

I had to increase my budget and my wife agreed as long as I bought her a new wakeboard too.

(Message edited by prestige on July 24, 2003)
Old    sanchezman10            07-24-2003, 8:16 PM Reply   
yo if u go to http://worldwakeboardcenter.com/4sale.htm they have a used xstar for sale wit a tower like 15700 was the price they told me when i asked
Old    deerslayer            07-25-2003, 10:33 AM Reply   
8-cyl engines will always run smoother than a 6-cyl. I wouldn't get a 6-cyl. I have a Centurion, and I'm very happy with it. The wake on it is nice.
Old     (sloshake)      Join Date: Mar 2003       07-25-2003, 2:00 PM Reply   
So what about if you have $30,000 American bucks? Looking at those boat sights it seems like a super or not super air nautique from 2000/2001 would be the best bet. The 19' Capri with no tower and no weighting or anything just aint cutting it anymore. The used X series still seem too pricey. Are there any other boats in that range I should seriously look at?

I'll probably end up waiting till next spring to buy it. First need to go buy a condo then i'll check my finances...

Thanks for the advice