Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through January 14, 2005

Old     (bbr)      Join Date: Apr 2002       11-29-2004, 8:33 PM Reply   
Looking to see if I can get any pics from a loaded SSV. More than likely will be ordering one next week. Just wondering how much weight people are using. Thanks.
Old     (wake_eater)      Join Date: May 2003       12-01-2004, 8:21 PM Reply   
get the gravity games bags from your dealer. they are an upgrade from the stock bags. @ 2200 lbs at the flip of a switch!! i bought a 04 ssv last april & LOVE it. good choice, you wont regret it! sorry though--no pics.
Old     (bbr)      Join Date: Apr 2002       12-01-2004, 9:35 PM Reply   
Chuck,
what exactly do you like about your SSV?? I have been checking them out, but people have told me to compare them to the new VLX. What do you think, as a SSV owner? Is there anything that you don't like or that you would change? Thanks.
Old    sean123            12-02-2004, 4:58 AM Reply   
Brandon....

I also own an SSV. Its an 03. I have ridden extensivley behind my boat as well as VLX's. Both are excellent, top notch quality boats. I have had ZERO problems with my boat and SKIERS CHOICE is outstanding to deal with. I love the interior space in my boat, and you can make the wake unbeatable. I run the GG bags with wakeplate 3/4 up and it makes for a very nice steep wake with good transition. Gives a little lip at the top. Now if you overweight the rear of the boat it will make the wake a bit softer, but that is easily adjusted. I have had no vinyl or gelcoat issues, not saying that I wont or any other boat will or wont for that matter, just letting you know. If you have any questions please feel free to ask.

Sean
Old     (fogey)      Join Date: Mar 2002       12-02-2004, 7:42 AM Reply   
I have an '02 SSV, which has the same hull and power train as Chuck's (and the '05's). I also have oversize bags (a total of 1900#) plus other ballast (~250#).

Here's what I like about it, in no particular order:

1. Large, solid wake with a shape I like. Also a very nice smaller wake for beginners (and experienced guys go W2W @ 75' w/ no ballast).

2. Hydraulic wakeplate: I don't think it does much for the wake, but it's great for choppy water while cruising. It also helps get on plane when heavily loaded.

3. Interior size: it's very roomy compared to some other similar-sized hulls I've been in.

4. Playpen seating: didn't think I'd like it, but I really do.

5. Double-up seating (which also serves as a wind break).

6. Ballast bags: they're space-efficient and easily upgradable.

7. Storage space: it's just amazing how much storage is available.

8. Reliability: zero downtime w/ 321 hours and counting.

9. Attractive design inside and out.

10. Well-appointed, and it doesn't "feel" cheap.

11., 12., & 13. Dealing with Skiers Choice.

Here's a pic of the wake @ 70' and 22.7 mph with full ballast and three people on board (about the attire: it was cold, okay?)

Old     (redsupralaunch)      Join Date: Aug 2002       12-02-2004, 5:13 PM Reply   
Brandon - I helped with a video and hope to get it posted within a day or two
Old     (stanfield)      Join Date: Mar 2004       12-02-2004, 5:42 PM Reply   
I have an 04 SSV and love it. It's the GG edition so it's got the bigger bags. The wake looks amazing, but to be fair, I haven't actually hit it yet myself. I had knee surgery in June. I've had not one complaint from anyone I've given pulls to though. The wakeplate definitely helps get you on plane when loaded down and helps if it's rough on the way to your riding spot. Lots of room and just a quality boat inside and out. I shopped around quite a bit and almost bought a 2 year old x2 when I checked out the Supra. Once I got the numbers on it I was sold. It's a lot of boat for the money. I still get giddy everytime we drop it in the water and start it up.

The only real complaint that I have is that the racks are a bit high up and hard to get to with the bimini down, but I'm sure that also has to do with the fact that I've got a bum leg and can't maneuver around a boat all that well still.
Old     (bbr)      Join Date: Apr 2002       12-02-2004, 8:40 PM Reply   
That pic of the wake looks sweet! I roll at 80' around 24 mph and would imagine that the wake wouldn't change too much. Where I live, Supra is a boat that is rarely seen, and too me, thats awesome. I love being different. I did check out the 05 VLX and they seem very similar in features, price and options. I'm gonna have a tough time deciding. Being in Bakersfield, I am in Malibus' backyard, so everyone and thier dog has one.

Thanks to all you guys for your input. Anything that you think might help me make my final decision is greatly appreciated.
Old    zboomer            12-03-2004, 8:30 AM Reply   
I love the VLX, but it's not priced similary to an SSV. Thousands more.
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       12-03-2004, 8:54 AM Reply   
Brandon ~ his pic was at 22.7mph,if you roll about 24mph i'm sorry to inform you but it would change more than you think.

If the SSV and the VLX are about the same price..IMO VLX is a nicer boat but I also thought that it was pricier.

(Message edited by Big_Ed_X2 on December 03, 2004)
Old    sean123            12-03-2004, 9:10 AM Reply   
Like I said earlier.. Been on Both boats, own the SSV. Similar prive, and I like the SSV better.. Thats why I have one.. Opinions are like HOLES, everyones got a few..!

Sean
Old     (bbr)      Join Date: Apr 2002       12-03-2004, 9:12 AM Reply   
I have them priced within 300 bucks of each other. I would just have to add more weight to keep the shape. I really like the fact the the SSV can come with 2200 lbs of stock ballast. The VLX comes with 1250 if you get the bow tank, NOT using the Wedge. The VLX I use now has it, but I don't use it. Not a big fan of the Wedge.
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       12-03-2004, 9:23 AM Reply   
Sean ~ CALM DOWN and take a few deep breaths.

Brandon ~ It seems you found your ride..congrat
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       12-03-2004, 9:26 AM Reply   
ohh by the way Sean talking like that seems like your HOLE stincks the most.hahahahalol
Old    sean123            12-03-2004, 9:27 AM Reply   
Ed,

Calm down?? Was just giving my opinion!
Like I have said.. I dont take into account other peoples opinions..

Sean
Old    sean123            12-03-2004, 9:30 AM Reply   
HAHAHA... Spit my cofee all over the keyboard;-)

Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       12-03-2004, 9:32 AM Reply   
It's all good fun!!
Old    sean123            12-03-2004, 9:35 AM Reply   
Yepper.... Ed take a look at my profile pic and you will see my 2 favorite boats in my backyard..!

Sean
Old     (redsupralaunch)      Join Date: Aug 2002       12-05-2004, 10:37 AM Reply   
Brandon here is a video for you of 04 SSV. A friend of ours is a T-com major at Ball State University and one our NWL riders. He ask my son and I to help him with a class project. Enjoy
}http://www.wakepics.com/img/13017

Old     (midwesty)      Join Date: Aug 2003       12-05-2004, 11:53 AM Reply   
that was BADA$$!!
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       12-05-2004, 1:03 PM Reply   
yea that was sweet! nice ride too
Old     (bbr)      Join Date: Apr 2002       12-05-2004, 1:16 PM Reply   
Thanks for that. Do you know how deep that place is that they were riding?? The wake looks nice.
Old    zboomer            12-06-2004, 9:14 AM Reply   
Quote:
I have them priced within 300 bucks of each other. I would just have to add more weight to keep the shape. I really like the fact the the SSV can come with 2200 lbs of stock ballast. The VLX comes with 1250 if you get the bow tank, NOT using the Wedge.

Brandon,
I'm not sure where you're getting pricing, but with similar options a VLX was about $6k more than an SSV in '04. Will be more in '05 since the VLX is redesigned, and more expensive.

If you negotiated a VLX down to within $300 of an SSV's price, that's great, but the SSV can also be negotiated down as well. Comparing MSRP to MSRP, they are much more than $300 apart.
Old     (sanger215guy)      Join Date: Oct 2004       12-06-2004, 9:34 AM Reply   
Sean123

All I can say is nce boats and set up, And I hate you I hate you.... I want a lake in my back yard...

Brandon,

both are great boats go with your gut its always right and then you can only blame yourself if it was the wrong choice...and with those two to pick from you can't go wrong.
Old     (redsupralaunch)      Join Date: Aug 2002       12-09-2004, 4:42 PM Reply   
Brandon our video was shot at a old gravel pit 12 to 15 feet deep. Custom GG bag of 1000 front and 2x600 rear. You can get them from the dealer for about 700. Did you get your ordered? What color did you go with?
Old     (dan_lee)      Join Date: Jan 2003       12-11-2004, 10:34 AM Reply   
Here's some shots from a different angle, it was at our Supra Moomba owners reunion. The water got bad so the wake wasn't at it's prime, but it was still a crowd pleaser.

http://www.jtinc.com/Moomba%2004/Wake%20Board%201%20Web/index.htm
Old     (priapism)      Join Date: Mar 2003       12-11-2004, 11:07 AM Reply   
Hey Chris,

Sean Jackson from So. Cal. How are you and your daughter (Sarah right???)? Any plans to come out my way again? If so, drop me a line.
Old     (wake_eater)      Join Date: May 2003       12-12-2004, 11:40 AM Reply   
sorry about not getting back with you, i've been in the middle of moving. anyways, i love my ssv because it's alot of bang for the buck. i only wished it had a 5 year warranty like the nautiques do. that is the only fault i can find with it. fit & finish i would put it up against any other brand out there. my favorite thing (& the selling point to my wife) is that ALL of the ballast is hidden out of sight. there is lots of room & storage, and i love the wake. this is my third skiers choice boat. i have owned a 00 outback ls, a 03 launch ss, and now the 04 ssv. they were all awesome boats, but all i do is wakeboard & wanted a wakeboard specific boat. the dealer's rep is this area is excellent so that is a big plus also. like many other people have previously stated "if the dealer sucks, then your experience with that boat will probably suck too." good luck with your decision!! you cant go wrong with the ssv!
Old     (bigworm)      Join Date: Dec 2004       12-17-2004, 4:18 PM Reply   
when u say a wakeboard specific boat you mean a v drive with ballast cause there are lots of those out there. check out the-perfect-wake.com and itll show a wakeboard specific boat. and what happens to a wake when too muck weight is added.
Old     (wake_eater)      Join Date: May 2003       12-17-2004, 4:51 PM Reply   
norm,
i'm not intending to be an ass, but if u read my post u will realize that i wanted a "wakeboard specific" boat so i bought a SSV. i am fully aware that a v drive with a ballast system is a wakeboard specific. i was just justifying why i got rid of the 03 launch ss and purchased the 04 ssv. i really dont want to comment on mastercraft's propaganda. i think 98% of ww knows what a wakeboard specific boat is, and 95% think MC's the-perfect-wake is a load of horse sh-t.
Old     (bigworm)      Join Date: Dec 2004       12-17-2004, 5:03 PM Reply   
you dont know till you ridden behind one...trust me
Old     (stanfield)      Join Date: Mar 2004       12-17-2004, 5:33 PM Reply   
Norm, it's how you ride, not what you ride behind.
Old     (bigworm)      Join Date: Dec 2004       12-17-2004, 5:51 PM Reply   
if i was you id say that too.
Old     (stanfield)      Join Date: Mar 2004       12-17-2004, 5:58 PM Reply   
"if i was you id say that too."

Yeah, cause my 04 SSV is such an embarassment to the sport.

PS: I traded my MC in for my Supra

(Message edited by stanfield on December 17, 2004)
Old     (supraman)      Join Date: Jan 2002       12-17-2004, 7:35 PM Reply   
Norm Langham bio:

Boat: "Any mastercraft of choice..."
Length of WW membership: One week
% of total posts pushing Mastercraft/bashing Supra: at least 50%
Agenda: obvious
Value: limited

(Message edited by supraman on December 17, 2004)
Old     (bigworm)      Join Date: Dec 2004       12-18-2004, 3:14 PM Reply   
not bashing supra stating facts.
Old     (bbr)      Join Date: Apr 2002       12-18-2004, 7:58 PM Reply   
Gotta say that I rode behind an 04 SSV today and the wake is sweet. Boots you of the wake very well. Great shape and size. Loved it.

(Message edited by BBR on December 18, 2004)
Old     (supraman)      Join Date: Jan 2002       12-18-2004, 11:02 PM Reply   
Norm,

You wrote:

"supra is the leading manufacturers warranty claiments in the ENTIRE marine industry"

The fact that you consider this statement a "fact" just proves my point about your intentions.

Facts are usually true, irrefutable statements. What you wrote is neither. In fact, now that I read it again, it doesn't even make sense.
Old     (redsupralaunch)      Join Date: Aug 2002       12-19-2004, 9:30 AM Reply   
Brandon, Great to hear the good report we all knew you would like it! I am jealous it is 20F here in Indiana today and my brand new 05 has 0.8 hours on it. Did you try the surf wake too?
Old     (bbr)      Join Date: Apr 2002       12-19-2004, 11:27 AM Reply   
No, didn't surf just rode. The infamous Santa Ana winds picked up and the water turned to crap. I am looking at the 21V as well. Seemed to me that it had more storage, and a lot more freeboard. Have you heard anything about its wake? If its using the same hull as the old Launch, then it should be good to go.
Old     (redsupralaunch)      Join Date: Aug 2002       12-19-2004, 3:30 PM Reply   
I heard the winds were big. My Dad lives near Onterio. Yes the 21V is based on the Launch 21 hull. My Son, Nick, and I were trying to decide which wake we liked better between our 01 Launch or 04 GG SSV. We really cant decide. I will tell you this, although I have not driven or rode the 21V, that when I ordered my 05 I went with the 21V because I loved the Launch wake and it the inside has so much more freeboard, beam, and storage better choice for my large family.
Old     (wake_eater)      Join Date: May 2003       12-19-2004, 5:13 PM Reply   
matt!!

what's going on? the christmas season is nice, but not being on the lake is killing me! i talked to jeff the other day & we're already talking about doing some riding in the spring. give me a buzz some time. u & Jeff have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year. oh yeah, u definitely have to cut back on the work schedule this season.
Old     (redsupralaunch)      Join Date: Aug 2002       12-19-2004, 6:58 PM Reply   
Matt and Chuck- Im I gonna see y'all at Eskimo Escapades? Maybe this year Ill stick that backroll on the air chair
Old     (wake_eater)      Join Date: May 2003       12-20-2004, 8:55 PM Reply   
yeah, my brother & i will be there. i've just gotta find a drysuit...... i'd say matt will be there too. i think he went last year.
Old     (fogey)      Join Date: Mar 2002       12-21-2004, 6:27 AM Reply   
Not only was Matt at EE last year, but he trunked it! I'm not sure he's gonna try that again. I just posted fliers at work to see if I can raise some money. If I get any takers, I'll be riding too.

Chuck, we probably can figure out a way to share my drysuit.
Old     (wake_eater)      Join Date: May 2003       12-21-2004, 7:33 AM Reply   
Jeff, i'm glad you're going!! it's gonna be a blast. have you seen Rusty's new place yet? i went by there yesterday & it's gonna be really nice. he said he's doing a "VIP" night on the 13th, so i'll probably see u there. he's got a 05gg ssv in stock --man, that blue & gray looks awesome!

ps. if we can share the drysuit that would be AWESOME!
Old     (supra)      Join Date: Aug 2002       12-21-2004, 5:17 PM Reply   
Pics of the new 24v wakes,1st pic is ski wake,2nd wakeboard wake no ballast, last two are surf/awesome.Boat feels like a 22 SSV driving,turns tight,holds speed well and rides through the rough really well.

Old     (redsupralaunch)      Join Date: Aug 2002       12-21-2004, 6:44 PM Reply   
Kevin, Looks like a very very long surf wake, like the sweet spot is almost 15 feet long. True or is that just a funny pic?
Old     (mcfly)      Join Date: Jan 2002       12-22-2004, 8:34 AM Reply   
The 24SSV Surf wake is very long..almost twice as long as the 22SSV. You can get way back in it, and then come right back up to the boat.

McFly