Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through October 15, 2006

Old    strasnuts            09-12-2006, 7:32 PM Reply   
My boss and I are looking for a new wakeboarding boat. He has a 292 Cobalt twin that I supercharged. Needless to say his kids hate it now they are getting into wakeboarding. I took them on my Four Winns 190 with a Titan Tower and they loved it. I thought that was funny because I think my boat is not very good for wakeboarding. My boss now wants to buy a nice wakeboarding boat. Money is no object. He wanted to replace his Cobalt with the X-80 but I told im that it will still throw a monster wake and only go half the speed of his monster wake Cobalt. We are thinking of the X-45 or the Supra GG24. If it were me I would probably go with the Supra, but he really likes quality and I am afraid to order something without seeing the quality of the Supra. Any suggestions? I can't find anything out there to look at in my location at this time. If money is no object is the MC really a better boat? I heard of rolling problems and nose dunking on the MC.
Old    bogeyboy            09-12-2006, 7:42 PM Reply   
I just bought a Supra 24SSV Gravity Games boat. I will say that so far I have been very please with what I have experienced.

Certainly MC makes a great boat. I just liked the interior and "creature comforts"of the Supra more than the MC.

I don't think you could go wrong with either.
Old    strasnuts            09-12-2006, 7:51 PM Reply   
Thanks for replying.
Do you mind telling me how much you spent?
Where are you located?
Old     (lionel)      Join Date: Nov 2005       09-12-2006, 8:12 PM Reply   
Tough choice, both are good quality. Test drive and go with the one you like best. Hard to test/buy if you can't find anything in Salt Lake, tho.
Old     (cbrown)      Join Date: Jan 2004       09-12-2006, 8:37 PM Reply   
In the subject line you mentioned the Malibu 25 footer. For wakeboarding only I would go with Malibu's Wakesetter 247. It is a better wakeboard boat compared to the 25, which is a very high freeboard cruiser style inboard.

The best way to decide on a boat is to find your local dealers and test drive and ride behind all of the models in which you are interested. None of us can tell you which boat is best for you all only opinions.
Old     (zeda)      Join Date: Nov 2004       09-12-2006, 8:51 PM Reply   
Sean,

Another boat to consider would be the Nautique 236 (new model this year), Nautique 226, and the Tige 22Ve. Taylors boats is a very fine dealership. When I was shopping for boats, I was not very impressed with the dealers that sell the boats you are looking at, namely the Malibu dealer. The others didn't seem to care too much whether I purchased a boat from them or not. Take that for what it's worth...just my experience. Everyone will tell you that having a good dealer is important.
Old    strasnuts            09-13-2006, 5:46 AM Reply   
I hate the Malibu dealer in Draper. I also don't like Taylor boats. I have to deal with them on the Cobalt. They have the worst parts department I have ever used. I finally had to deal with Cobalt direct to keep me sane. I had to fix every upgrade that my boss had them install on it. The Supra has a great dealer that I know really well, they just don't have any boats to see right now. The MC dealer seemed okay but the sales staff didn't know much about the boat they were trying to sell.

I will have to look at Tige and Nautique. I see Tige is starting to copy MC and I hear a lot of others on the board rip apart these two brands.
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       09-13-2006, 7:04 AM Reply   
I am not sure of your point on the 80. Any of those boats will only go half the speed of the 292(I just bought one). I would think your boss would still like the size of the 80 over the smaller boats just because he is coming from a 29 foot boat. You can get the 80 with twin screws, and I here it is very quick for a 28ft boat. I would imagine the top end would be somewhere in the 50-55mph range(could be wrong). The day we test drove our 292, we got back into our xstar/x2/x1, and it seemed like a john boat.
Old     (mcmike)      Join Date: Jul 2006       09-13-2006, 8:17 AM Reply   
Money is no object? Go with the X-80 with twin engines. Hands down. I imagine the price will be in the 125k range. The quality of MC products is very high, something you and your boss will appreciate. Demo all the boats in the 24ft+ range and see for yourself; Tige, Supra, MC, Malibu, Nautique, Centurion
Old     (bennygoodx)      Join Date: Aug 2006       09-13-2006, 10:19 AM Reply   
The x-80 is unreal. I bought an x45 and am soooo pleased with it. Seats more than the x-80 comfortably and doesn't use as much gas.

I say test drive all the boats you're interested in. That will tell ya everything you need to know.
Old     (bond)      Join Date: Nov 2002       09-13-2006, 11:55 AM Reply   
Sean - if its worth the time North Bay Marine in Santa Rosa CA. are blowing all there 06 models out at cost. Ask for Larry and you will get a SMOKEN deal. Not sure what they have left but I was there yesterday and they ahd a few LOADED Supras still in the show room (707)-542-8092
Old     (imiguy68)      Join Date: Aug 2005       09-13-2006, 3:47 PM Reply   
island marine in southern california has a 24ssv left instock fully loaded for a great deal.
Old    strasnuts            09-13-2006, 4:02 PM Reply   
Thanks Sean Jones and Mr.Smith,

THAT's what I was looking for. They are telling me here that the 24GG is 73 to 75 thousand dollars. If that is what they are going for thats fine, but It sounds like a good deal in Santa Rosa or Island Marine. The X-80 is out, it's just too big. He is keeping the Cobalt for the speed and comfort. I think it is the wrong idea to try to make one boat that is half a**ed for wakeboarding and cruising.
Old     (lionel)      Join Date: Nov 2005       09-13-2006, 4:33 PM Reply   
I know of a loaded 2006 GG Supra for $52,500. It's used, but nicer than new. $73-75k seems like a rip off. I don't care how much money you have, don't throw it away....
Old    bogeyboy            09-13-2006, 6:12 PM Reply   
Sean,

Wow! $75,000 is way high. I did buy mine late in the season after the 2007s were released, so I got a better than average deal. I paid $55,000.

I will sell you mine for $70,000
Old     (supra24ssv)      Join Date: Mar 2006       09-13-2006, 6:17 PM Reply   
that is way high, steve how do you like your boat i am sure you love it, i still have mine for sale but have not listed it since on ebay, i would take 46,500 for mine, if you know of anyone let me know i will send pics
Old     (hyrific)      Join Date: Sep 2004       09-14-2006, 10:22 PM Reply   
The Malibu dealer in Draper is a nightmare. I would pick a different boat just so you don't have to deal with Kevin Croft. Many in Salt Lake Area have done just that.

The x80 is a big joke pretty much. The wake for wakeboarding isn't good and the cost to benefit ratio is way off. It does however have a good surfing wake.

I have ridden behind many of those boats and the supra's wake is truely a great one however the bags are exposed in the back. Most people just put some carpet over them and call it even but you may not dig that. 75 is way too much for the boat also. If that is what marine products is asking their trying to screw you big time.

If you are willing to go down to a 23 the mbsport is a well made boat and the ballast is all under the floor. The wake on it is good and no adding ballast because the stock ballast is 2500 lbs plus you can get the 2 speed transmition to help plane, but if you ever try and slalom ski the spray is unaceptable.

The x45 has a good wake but it handles like a boat twice its size. Also you have to add ballast to the stock system to get a killer wake. It has the greatest bling factor and the open bow has more room.

So there is my 2 cents. good luck in the search :-)
Old     (bensk8in)      Join Date: Feb 2006       09-15-2006, 9:45 AM Reply   
Hang on for the RZ-4 if you can, I heard its going to premier right around February, and if you like the large picklefork style and want it to handle like a porsche, a big porsche, and if you don't want the struggle to keep the bow from going under I would definitely investigate some more on tige.com. It is not on there, but you can figure it will be a 24Ve/RZ-2 = RZ-4
Happy Hunting
Old     (soundman22)      Join Date: Aug 2006       09-15-2006, 11:51 AM Reply   
Sean,
You really should consider a BU 247 Wakesetter. It has plenty of power with the 400HP Hammerhead, and the most room of any of the boats you've talked about. One thing I noticed in your previouse posts is that comfort is important. Sit in the 247 and then sit in the other boats. You'll find that your back is well supported and your knees aren't in your chest. You don't have to sit with your legs up on the vynal unless you want to. I am a BU dealer and you can email me anytime and I would be happy to answer any questions you have. But don't purchase a Supra unless you want an expensive Moomba :-)
Old     (jcv)      Join Date: Oct 2005       09-15-2006, 11:57 AM Reply   
"I am a BU dealer and you can email me anytime and I would be happy to answer any questions you have. But don't purchase a Supra unless you want an expensive Moomba"

You? A dealer? No way
Old     (mcmike)      Join Date: Jul 2006       09-15-2006, 12:52 PM Reply   
"The x45 has a good wake but it handles like a boat twice its size. Also you have to add ballast to the stock system to get a killer wake."

Are you kidding? Have you drove and/or ridden behind an X-45? It doesn't handle like a 48 ft boat. Large, yes, nimble, not the most; but very manageable. I would love to take you out on mine with any additional ballast you would like to bring and watch you get kicked off the wake.
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       09-15-2006, 2:07 PM Reply   
"But don't purchase a Supra unless you want an expensive Moomba"

Spoken like a true shady dealer. Someone ban this guy.
Old     (hyrific)      Join Date: Sep 2004       09-15-2006, 2:17 PM Reply   
I retract my statement about the x45 handling like a boat twice its size. however I do believe it handles like a 28 foot boat. And the stock wake is good like I said before. And I still believe its correct to say that for a pro level wake you need some extra weight in the boat.
Old     (ewater)      Join Date: Jan 2006       09-15-2006, 3:10 PM Reply   
Ora freeman... Please elaborate on your sales pitch.
Old     (hymaeringo)      Join Date: Jul 2004       09-15-2006, 4:03 PM Reply   
wow I don't like were this is going.

The 247 is a sick boat but I would recommend the 8.1 in it though. better wake than a 23lSV because it is not as wide for some reason. It also offers ONE of the most spacious layouts and all ballast is under the floor in hard tanks. another selling point is the ability to surf behind it (power wedge equipped only) with stock ballast and only a driver.

before you guys go ambushing Ora from all angles... I believe what he/she is trying to say is: drive all the boats mentioned above. the buyer should be able to decipher what is better suited for their needs.

They all make GREAT products that I would be thrilled to ride behind any day. but if i were the one paying the bill.... I wouldn't want to replace all my ballast pumps at the 50 hour!
Old     (bennygoodx)      Join Date: Aug 2006       09-15-2006, 4:21 PM Reply   
Good lord, I'm scared of my X-45 wake with full ballast and 8 people. But, I'm a career-oriented guy who has hurt himself one too many times. I'm a surfer and was very impressed with the X-45.

All of these boats are nice. And until you are a pro, any of these boats will be fine. Once you are a pro, then you'll buy a Mastercraft X-Star.
Old     (sbruns)      Join Date: Jun 2005       09-15-2006, 4:33 PM Reply   
Ora Freeman...You are a TOOL! I feel this way, Not because I own a Supra, but because you find it necessary to bash other manufactures just to sell your product. The Malibu should be considered by Sean in his quest to find the boat he is looking for. Maybe you are the dealer in his geographic area, thus why he is not considering the 247.

Sean,
I ride behind both the X-45 and the GG on a regular basis...
The X-45 is a Great Boat..Very Expensive..
The GG is a Great Boat...Better Value..

Drive them both and evaluate which dealer you feel will support you the best.

When I purchased my boat, I looked at the X-45, the 247 and the Supra GG... My local MC dealer is Copes...(need I say more), my Malibu Dealer spoke just like Ora ( would never do business with that type ) ...
My local Supra Dealer was honest, fair, never bashed the competition and is dedicated to providing Superior Service! They will continue to be my first choice in where I spend My $$$!

(Message edited by sbruns on September 15, 2006)
Old     (mcmike)      Join Date: Jul 2006       09-15-2006, 5:41 PM Reply   
sbruns,
Is Copes bad in CA? I bought my first MC from them in Seattle and loved them.

Ben--I'm with you. We do not fill the ballast on our 45 either. Just some wake plate adjustments...
Old     (boarder_x)      Join Date: Mar 2006       09-15-2006, 6:16 PM Reply   
sbruns,
Where is that profile pic??? That is absolutely awesome.
Old     (soundman22)      Join Date: Aug 2006       09-15-2006, 6:48 PM Reply   
Can't you guys tell when someone is kiding??? Didn't you see the smiley????
This is the one thing I don't like about message boards, you can never hear someone's tone. I was just having a little fun, guess I stirred the pot

But seriously, based on Sean's original post the 247 would be a excellent choice for riding ability, size of boat and quality. Malibu does an excellent job with the little details of a boat like the quality of seating. IMO the seating fits people better and is alot more user friendly. The 8.1. Unnessasary unless you like to spend money at the pump. I've loaded a 247 DOWN and had power to spare. Email me if you have any questions. And guys, lighten up a bit. :-)
Old     (sbruns)      Join Date: Jun 2005       09-15-2006, 8:42 PM Reply   
Mike,
They rubbed me the wrong way when they started in with the bashing of other manuf's. and have the attitude that they dominate the market.

Robb,
Thanks, that is at my 'vacation home' in The Keys, South Lake Tahoe.

Sean,
Sorry for hi-jacking your thread... I STRONGLY suggest driving the boats and getting to know the dealers... Doing business with people who respect you will always be beneficial in the end.
There are a few quality boats that will fit your needs, but there are VERY few dealers who will respect you and provide you quality customer service after the sale. Good Luck, keep us posted as to your decision.
Old     (ridealready)      Join Date: Feb 2006       09-15-2006, 8:42 PM Reply   
Hater
Old     (hymaeringo)      Join Date: Jul 2004       09-16-2006, 6:38 AM Reply   
No the 8.1 is not a waste. Sory Ora but if you actually RIDE behind the boats (which I suggest you try) and weight them down the 8.1 makes perfect sense. have you ever had to throw 3 people in the bow of your vlx so it will plane out? the 8.1 gets you onto plane quicker therefore saving you gas. even if it is unneccesary.... why not your buying a 60-70 k boat anyways. splurge for whats important....and apparently, to you, its not riding.

calm your panties, I've rode these boats for the past 3 years daily.

p.s. the 383 is a bored out version of the 5.7 340. It is thinner in some areas and is more prone to heating up ...I would go with the 8.1 since money is no object.
Old    strasnuts            09-16-2006, 12:28 PM Reply   
Thanks everyone. Some other questions I have is:

Ballast on new supras exposed?
can you make small wakes on Supra for little kids?
no bottom fins on X-45?
8.1 Liter available on 2006 24GG or 24 launch?
I boat mostly at Tahoe and Jordenelle, both around 6200' elevation, sometimes Powell. I think I need the 8.1 in the 24GG. I also heard it gets good mileage because it's not always at full throttle. That makes sense to me, my Sequoia(v8) gets better mpg pulling than my 4runner's (supercharged V6).

p.s. thanks for your knowledge in salt lake Hyrum. Can you elaborate on the rear bags on the Supra?
Old     (mcmike)      Join Date: Jul 2006       09-16-2006, 4:00 PM Reply   
No tracking fins on the X-45. I would recommend the 8.1 at that altitude. You will find it very nice when the boat is weighted down.