Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old    ScottRobinson            03-04-2011, 10:53 AM Reply   
ok, just wondering what the process is for taking the factory decals off a boat? Have 2011 that I bought last summer and love it but thinking of taking the factory decals off the boat and just rocking a hull with nothing on it. Thoughts?

Easy or hard to do? Is it literally just peel them off?
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       03-04-2011, 11:07 AM Reply   
When I did mine I just peeled them off then rubbed the adhesive left over off with goof off. A lot of guys heat them up but I didn't find that necessary even in the winter/early spring.
Old     (RedRum)      Join Date: Nov 2010       03-04-2011, 12:22 PM Reply   
NOT SURE ABOUT USING IT ON A GEL COAT, but when removing decals and emblems on a vehicle, I use a 3M Eraser wheel. It is the easiest and quickest way to do it. You just don't want to press too hard for too long because it will get hot and risks messing up the paint. Like I said, not sure about gel coat, but that is the route I would go. Just don't heat it up too much.
Old     (leaks)      Join Date: Oct 2005       03-04-2011, 1:21 PM Reply   
I took the factory stickers off my Tige with just a heat gun on the lowest setting. The peeled off very easy, with little residue. I used Goof-Off to remove any residue left behind, then a quick polish.
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       03-04-2011, 3:07 PM Reply   
I have removed a million decals from boats. Ok not a million, but a lot. Grab a heat gun or even easier a hair dryer. Warm it up good and just peel slow. It will be pretty easy as long as you go slow and keep heat on it. Use goo gone, acetone, or lacquer thinner on a rag to clean off any residue...
Old     (geistwatersportscom)      Join Date: Dec 2006       03-04-2011, 3:32 PM Reply   
Scott, I Thought your boat was super sharp when I rode on it! However, the unique look of no decals would be solid!
Old     (billhall)      Join Date: Jun 2006       03-04-2011, 4:21 PM Reply   
Quote:
NOT SURE ABOUT USING IT ON A GEL COAT
You can use the 3M eraser wheel on the gel but you have to be VERY careful. Then can burn the gel coat. For the cost of those wheels you're much better off with a hair dryer...
Old     (brucemac)      Join Date: Dec 2005       03-04-2011, 5:12 PM Reply   
hey similar question. how about removing the safety sticker on the ski pylon? can i use goof off on that or will it hurt the finish? peeling at the corner and may as well take it off.
Old     (lakesurfer)      Join Date: Jul 2009       03-05-2011, 9:05 AM Reply   
I used a blow dryer and used my wife's finger nail polish to clean of residue. Had the boat waxed and cleaned and could not tell they were ever there.
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       03-05-2011, 5:29 PM Reply   
i wouldn't recommend the eraser wheel either.if you have never used one it is very easy to burn the gelcoat.
Old     (sailing216)      Join Date: Oct 2007       03-07-2011, 6:38 AM Reply   
Heat gun on low, was super quick. Almost no residue. 8ft decal took about 10 minutes.
Old     (newty)      Join Date: May 2005       03-07-2011, 6:48 AM Reply   
Diggs is right on. Slowly heat and slowly peel. I did mine on a hot day and didn't use a heat gun. Acetone (nail polish remover) works the best on gel. imo

Post up some before and afters when you get it done.
Old    ScottRobinson            03-07-2011, 7:27 AM Reply   
Thanks guys, just have a big decal on the side of the boat stretches the length of the boat. Not sure if I want it on or off. Still debating. Says Epic obviously but just not in love with it. Take a look.
Attached Images

Old    ScottRobinson            03-07-2011, 7:30 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by geistwatersportscom View Post
Scott, I Thought your boat was super sharp when I rode on it! However, the unique look of no decals would be solid!

Yeah Thanks man! Summer is almost here, also going to take the FAE off and see if I can get the wake a bit more dialed in.
Old     (leaks)      Join Date: Oct 2005       03-07-2011, 10:31 AM Reply   
I say "take it off"
Old     (RedRum)      Join Date: Nov 2010       03-07-2011, 10:35 AM Reply   
Did some quick Photoshop on your boat. Here is basically what it would look like with the decal removed. I like it. Makes an already clean looking boat even cleaner!

Old    ScottRobinson            03-07-2011, 10:39 AM Reply   
HEy thanks for the photoshop!!! I can now at least look at both and decide prior to summer. THANKS A MILLION.....
Too bad I can't do something on it.... found some wraps but HATE the cost of all that stuff!!!!

Can you photoshop and leave the EPIC square in there?
Old     (RedRum)      Join Date: Nov 2010       03-07-2011, 10:46 AM Reply   
yeah give me a minute....
Old     (tonyv420)      Join Date: Jul 2007       03-07-2011, 10:51 AM Reply   
use your wifes hair dryer, take it off as soon as possible if your going to do it. If you wait too long you could end up seeing where the decal used to be. (fading gelcoat) I immediatly took mine off and love the clean lines the boat has without them. Not a big fan of factory stickers on my boat.
Old    ScottRobinson            03-07-2011, 10:52 AM Reply   
Seth - Thank man

Anthony - yeah used it last year like it is, but just not sure where I stand on it. I think it may need something on it now that I see it
Old     (RedRum)      Join Date: Nov 2010       03-07-2011, 10:54 AM Reply   
Here ya go...

Old    ScottRobinson            03-07-2011, 10:54 AM Reply   
Thanks! I think I like that the best.....

NEED SOME VOTES GUYS!! HELP...which of the 3 is the best?
Old     (bmock50)      Join Date: Feb 2011       03-07-2011, 10:59 AM Reply   
I love the no decals look. If it were me I would take off everything except the epic on the transom.
Old     (RedRum)      Join Date: Nov 2010       03-07-2011, 11:36 AM Reply   
I think it might be hard to leave just the square EPIC on there. You would need to sever the decal with a razor to separate the decal. It would require a VERY steady hand not to damage the gelcoat, if in fact it is all one big decal.

You could try and just leave the EPIC, then if you don't like it , take it all the way off. Like Brett said, I say leave the EPIC on the transom and take the rest off.
Old     (olmoomba)      Join Date: Apr 2010       03-07-2011, 11:50 AM Reply   
Scott - I removed my decals years ago. It's a whole lotta black hull, basically just like you saw there in the photoshop. I got tired of answering the questions "What boat is that" 100million times a day. Now with a decal I only get asked what is EPIC about a dz times a day, lol. I only have the rear 1/4 with any decals leaving the rest of the boat clean.

When I remove decals, I use low heat. Heat will release the glue and allow the vinyl to not "snap" when you remove the decal. I came behind it with acetone and then waxed it up.
Old     (RedRum)      Join Date: Nov 2010       03-07-2011, 12:34 PM Reply   
I'd tell them it's a Noneofyourdamnbusinesscraft. Or tell them you built it yourself. lol
Old     (bruizza)      Join Date: May 2009       03-07-2011, 2:29 PM Reply   
I like it with no decals.
Old    ScottRobinson            03-08-2011, 9:18 AM Reply   
Fred - I agree, whole lot of hull there. I love the Orange one you did on Facebook, would love it in Metallic Silver and I would put it on the back 1/3 of hull instead of front. Wonder where I could get one....
Old     (tonyv420)      Join Date: Jul 2007       03-08-2011, 9:35 AM Reply   
No Decals : )
Old     (newty)      Join Date: May 2005       03-08-2011, 1:05 PM Reply   
Nekked!!!
Old     (BWB745)      Join Date: Jun 2010       03-09-2011, 11:23 AM Reply   
The all black looks really good IMO.

Not a fan of option 3, with just epic left on the side. Just looks like a big sticker.
Old     (olmoomba)      Join Date: Apr 2010       03-10-2011, 1:40 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottRobinson View Post
Fred - I agree, whole lot of hull there. I love the Orange one you did on Facebook, would love it in Metallic Silver and I would put it on the back 1/3 of hull instead of front. Wonder where I could get one....
I didn't do one like you say. There is a guy in Dallas who did some graphics that I think is what you are talking about.

Another option is to play with fonts you like, have it done up to like 20" tall and slap the EPIC name on the boat. keep in mind if you badge just the rear 1/3 of the boat, it will not be seen easily if at all while under way and definitely not while you are towing a rider at 24mph with weight. The spray just wont let it happen. Personally, I am ok with that.
Old     (Shooter271)      Join Date: Mar 2011       04-01-2011, 7:33 PM Reply   
My boat is an 07 LSV. If I remove the big Mobius sticker from the side will you still be able to see where it was? I mean from the area under the sticker not matching the rest of the boat. I'm sure it's not that faded, but going into it's 4th year, so I'm sure there is some.