Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (brichter14)      Join Date: Jul 2010       07-03-2014, 8:37 PM Reply   
I am thinking about finding a nice class c motorhome for camping/boating trips. Anybody here have experience hauling a boat and launching a boat with a motorhome?

Any pics if ya got em?
Old     (Boonejeepin)      Join Date: Oct 2012       07-04-2014, 8:50 AM Reply   
Make sure to inspect the frame well where it was extended to make sure there are not any points to fail easily.

Be sure to get a backup camera or give your spotter a handheld walkie talkie for tight spaces.
Old     (501s)      Join Date: Feb 2010       07-04-2014, 9:18 AM Reply   
Here is a pic of our 89 24' Motorhome with a 460 motor pulling my 2012 X-30. We didn't win any speed races but the old girl pulled the boat like a champ.

We also strapped our rail to the roof of the Motorhome for transportation. Worked out great.
Attached Images

Old     (Livesound)      Join Date: Sep 2012       07-04-2014, 5:27 PM Reply   
501's. I have a 2000 class c, don't know if I am brave enough with the x-25 to pull it I have the 6.8 v-10 in mine. And hitch is rated for 5000. But I have no problem pulling the 01 x-10 around this winter. I pre drove the roads to get used to it.
Old     (Livesound)      Join Date: Sep 2012       07-04-2014, 5:30 PM Reply   
Brichter14 that's exactly why I bought my class c. I have camped at our lake where I keep the boat. But I have not trailered the boat with the class c and had to launch. We have such a bad drought here I have had launch problems with my 2wd titan, last weekend I took the boat to another launch to get it out. Just to steep for 2wd. So I too am curious if the dully and mor weight of the motor home will help or hinder in this situation.
Old     (retoxtony)      Join Date: Apr 2012       07-04-2014, 9:10 PM Reply   
We have a 1987 28 foot Class C with a 460 and 3 speed auto. No idea what the hitch is rated for but it looks alot more stout than one on a half ton truck. We used it a few times to pull my old Mastercraft 205 to the lake and back. Used it once on a 1000km round trip through the mountains and back home. It never missed a beat and it averaged out at 6.4 MPG for the whole trip. We never launched the boat with it though and not sure if i would want to. I havent tried pulling the RZ2 with it yet but we might get a truck camper for my 1ton dually instead. I just don't feel that comfortable pulling a bigger boat with it.
Old     (phathom)      Join Date: Jun 2013       07-05-2014, 1:06 AM Reply   
For about the last 5 years a big class c motorhome built off a E250, was my parents' tow vehicle for their boat every camping trip. Given theirs is only a 17' I/O that can be pulled with a Astro van, but it worked well, even towing it from the Portland area down to Shasta a few times. Heading over the mountain they did run into some cooling issues, but that happened to them before without towing the boat as well.
Old     (racer808)      Join Date: Jan 2013       07-05-2014, 6:11 AM Reply   
We've been looking are class c motor homes too. Its the dock I have concerns with cause I have to use 4x4 some times when the docks are wet
Old     (turbojedi)      Join Date: Jun 2013       07-08-2014, 7:19 AM Reply   
I have had both, a class C and a diesel pusher. They both did the job and it's a blast to do the motorhome thing and take the boat, if you can shoot for a pusher much nicer over all towing. But what ever you get use the heck out of it.and enjoy .
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       07-08-2014, 8:02 AM Reply   
You will find that there are very few Class C motorhomes that are rated for over 3500 lbs of towing. First indication is look at the hitch and it will have its rating on it and then look at the information sheet (probably on the inner door of one of the cabinets or rear closet) and familiarize yourself with GCVWR and GVWR and how that works. If you are towing short distances with a class C, I would not get too worried, but most of them you will be over limit either on the hitch capacity or the GCVWR. I looked around for Class C's for a long long time and there are very few out there to be found that are TRULY set up for it. If you plan to tow a lot look at the Super C chasis or a small Class A.
As for driving them with a boat behind you they are easy and handle it great. You just need to think ahead before you get into parking lot situations. Always park on the street or truckstops. McDonalds parking lots can get tight!!! If you are a good confident driver you will be fine at most boat ramps too. I have done it many times and feel real comfortable most places....
Old     (brichter14)      Join Date: Jul 2010       07-08-2014, 1:51 PM Reply   
I didn't even think about towing capacity because most of them have v10s or are diesel. I have a cdl for driving school busses because im a varsity golf coach and i have to drive a bus to matches so i am pretty familiar with parking and turning issues. Maybe a smaller class A would be better like you said
Old     (h20king)      Join Date: Dec 2009       07-08-2014, 6:08 PM Reply   
Why not a 4x4 diesel with a truck camper ??
Attached Images

Old     (brichter14)      Join Date: Jul 2010       07-08-2014, 6:37 PM Reply   
We are thinking something that can sleep four adults and a couple kids
Old     (chrisbucklin)      Join Date: Mar 2012       07-09-2014, 2:45 AM Reply   
I have also been looking at a class a. But I want a bigger one. With wash/dryer, all that. So looking at 38 footer. My big thing in my research right now is if I should Def get the diesel pusher or will the big gas ones b ok? I've got a sa550 right now, but soon will b upgrading to bigger boat. Which either way I think will tow ok. I drive semi and big equipment now so the long load don't scare me. Looking at lime 2000 or newer. Any suggestions?
Old     (patrick232)      Join Date: Aug 2008       07-09-2014, 6:35 AM Reply   
I would go find a diesel pusher, might be a few years older than a gasser for the same money. BUt while towing you will never say I should of got the diesel.
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       07-09-2014, 7:41 AM Reply   
We tow with a Class A with a 8.1L gasser and it tows the boat with ease. You really can't feel it back there at all and would not know unless you look down at the camera. If I were going to use a motorhome to travel, there is no question I would get a diesel, but we only use it a few times a year.
Old     (johnny_jr)      Join Date: Mar 2006       07-09-2014, 9:00 AM Reply   
Towing capacity is extreme limited with class C and most gas powered class A.

I had a couple 36' class A Southwind and a Pacearrow with V10s and 3500# towing cap. They pulled the 2007 BU LSV ok almost anywhere we wanted to go (tough on the mountain climbs to Tahoe, but made it). Moved to a 40' National Islander with 350HP Cummins, Allison trans exhaust brake, and air brakes, what a HUGE difference, I could no longer tell the boat was back there, even on that same trip to Tahoe.

The old gasser was OK but there were times were I stressed on steep grades in high temps and on longer trips. Not to mention going from 4 mpg to somewhere around 10 mpg didn't hurt either.

This all depends on you terrain, flat land is no issue either way. Add mountain and heat and a larger capacity rig is the safest way to go.

I'm not bashing the gassers, we had a few since 1995 and towed various boats from 17' IOs to the current 23' LSV. They all worked, I just didn't know what I was missing till we moved to the pusher a couple years back.

Short answer I would buy an older diesel pusher over a newer gasser, which is exactly what I did. I went for a 2001 pusher for the price of a 2005-6 gasser.

Which ever route you take you will not regret it, enjoy your hunt!

Last thing.... Most important is that all the basic systems work, stove fridge, AC, generator, fans and lights. Motors and trans are rarely the problem. Check for water leaks from holding tanks and fresh water tanks. Make sure you have water pressure, verify that there is power(110v) from the generator and via the power plug. Check all the switches and make sure they do something. Make sure fridge runs off LPG and 110v.
Attached Images

Old     (chrisbucklin)      Join Date: Mar 2012       07-09-2014, 7:37 PM Reply   
Well thank u! U just talked me into the pusher! And ur rig looks great. Think I will wait till fall to get the best deal
Old     (chrisbucklin)      Join Date: Mar 2012       07-09-2014, 7:39 PM Reply   
One more question johnny, ever have any trouble with landings and the back of the pusher??
Old     (johnny_jr)      Join Date: Mar 2006       07-10-2014, 12:40 PM Reply   
I assume you are referring to driveway approach.

It's sitting low because the airbags are deflated. Once your underway the ride height is much higher and I have very few issues with them entering and exiting.

In general the pushers' rear axels sit further back then gassers and help greatly on driveway approaches at home and gas stations for examples. That said there are steel approaches that you will always scrape on, I had a couple scrape bars added to my las gasser to keep them from scraping the hitch, I have never scraped the actual trailer. RVs do take some learning to drive on city streets and parking lots, much more so then freeway or highway driving.

Not sure your experience during big things in general, a 40 foot pusher is easier to menuver then a 30 foot gasser, it's a big rig so there are lots of things to look out for. Be patient, drive carefully in tight areas and don't beat yourself up when you scrape things and bump stuff. It happens, I've been driving these since 1995 and I still "touch" things un intentionally. I can say that driving without a boat in tow and with are about the same, minus the added 25 feet of boat.
Old     (chrisbucklin)      Join Date: Mar 2012       07-10-2014, 5:39 PM Reply   
I drive a semi, flat beds, with excavaters and coach party busses. Just didn't no how it was backing into boat launch. If the back scrapped or if u ever had trouble pulling the boat out?so it sounds like I should Def go with the diesel pusher...
Old     (johnny_jr)      Join Date: Mar 2006       07-14-2014, 7:26 AM Reply   
No issues at all, I absolutely love our pusher and don't see myself going back to a gasser.

I've launched and loaded at a few different ramps some steep and some no so much, no issues.

Good luck on your search!
Old     (seth25)      Join Date: May 2010       07-19-2014, 12:32 AM Reply   
We pull my X45 with a 40' pusher. Works very well. Just have to plan ahead more than normal on stops and getting in and out of places.
Attached Images